Notifications
Clear all

Omega 3 Fish Oil Discussion

MemberMember
(@amber_eyes)

Posted : 02/19/2012 5:37 am

Hey Everyone surprised.gif

Firstly i wanted to ask you all for advice on how much omega 3 i should take to try and help improve my skin. I am taking a low dose at the moment only 300mg. How much should I take to see noticeable results?

Also thought it would be good to generally discuss omega 3 and any experiences anyone may have with it. Here is some info on omega 3 to start things off.

Now of course the main property we are looking for in omega 3 is its inflammation reducing properties. I was first encouraged to take omega 3 after watching The Food Hospital on tv, and seeing a Mother and Son with Psoriasis be treated by taking omega 3 fish oils, and changing thier diet to an anti inflammatory one. The results they saw were amazing, considering thier medication alone wasn't helping them. See this link for more info on the diet their story etc.

This is what has encouraged me to put together a diet similar to theirs (high in fibre and inti inflammatory foods (plus fish oil), low in sugar and diary). Here is a link to their story.

[Removed]

But of course, Omega 3 often comes in conjunction with Omega 6, and even though it is important to balance these, Omega 6 promotes inflammation. So how does Omega 3 effect the skin exactly?

Info From [Removed]

Using fish oil for acne treatment begins by reducing inflammation of existing breakouts. Essential fatty acids found in fish oil increase the levels of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins in the body.

Prostaglandins are found in every cell, and they are synthesized in the cells by Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), Arachidonic acid (AA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). GLA and AA are Omega 6 fatty acids, which are pro-inflammatory and produce leukotriene B4, a prostaglandan that is also pro-inflammatory.

This leukotriene B4 may promote breakouts due to its pro-inflammatory properties. A diet too high in Omega 6 and not high enough in Omega 3 may also be conducive to breakouts for this reason.

Increasing EPA, which is an anti-inflammatory prostaglandan and is an Omega 3 fatty acid, can help restore balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6, and reduce the inflammation in the body thus reduce acne.

Omega 3 is an essential component of fish oil, so fish oil for acne treatment is largely recommended based on this balance of prostaglandans in the body. Be certain to focus on Omega 3 fish oil and not an Omega 3-Omega 6 blend if taking fish oil for acne.

Further, Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil can help regulate the production of androgens. Androgens, hormones that promote sebum production, are particularly active during teenage years.

However, androgens can be found in higher levels in adults and can contribute to acne breakouts. By increasing Omega 3 in the form of fish oil, you can help reduce the over-production of sebum and keep your pores clear.

This link is also good for explaining a lot about Omega 3 [Removed]

So, what are your views on omega 3 for treating acne? Do you have a story to tell? or something important you know about fish oils that most people may not. Please comment and discuss! :)

MemberMember
(@cross17)

Posted : 12/14/2013 9:39 am

Just started taking fish oil (1000 mg) and saw palmetto (585 mg) and what a difference!

Brief history: I've had acne since I was 14 (now I am 24) but it has changed from little blackheads/occasional whiteheads to huge red hurts-to-touch cystic acne around my chin/cheeks. I started using Duac gel about 2 years ago and it seemed to help majorly (I'd be completely clear for about 3 months at a time), then all hell would break loose every couple of months for no reason (now I realize must be diet/hormones)....so after extensive research (aka googled the hell out of hormonal/cystic acne) I came across fish oil (for inflammation-major cause of cystic acne) and saw palmetto (regulate hormones). Don't know which is working, but my face is totally cleared up. Even had a cyst try to come up yesterday (I ate a giant cookie and a piece of pie lol.....sugar/refined carbs= inflammation), so I popped an extra fish oil and its completely gone this morning. I'm also an avid beer drinker (try to get some brews going every sat. night..not willing to give that up!) and so I've been taking an extra fish oil on those days because the beer never helps with the acne.....anyway long story short, try it! It's cheap, it might help and it's healthy for your body regardless!

My daily routine:

Am- saw palmetto pill, fish oil pill (I take on an empty stomach, no irritation so far)

Wash with Clearasil daily facial wash

Neutrogena oil-free moisture

Almay clearskin foundation (just a little bit, I've found the less makeup the better!)

Pm- Wash with glycolic acid (10%) cleanser

Duac gel (everywhere!!!!)

Neutrogena oil-free moisture

PS I am totally lazy, I believe in keeping things simple and fast. Hope this helps!!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/16/2013 11:19 am

Did you read the pinned thread on Omega 3 EFAs.