Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arpazia

Accutane and Vitamin E on Face

Okay, now I am two and a half weeks into my treatment with Accutane. My face is still slightly breaking out but no where near as badly as it was at the beginning of the week. My face does remain red where all of the cysts where or are trying to come through. I ordered a Sephora foundation recommended by this site in hopes of covering up all this redness.

As I am sure many of you on Accutane have done, I am trying to determine where my skin will scar and what types of scars I will have. Under the hyperpigmentation, it is really hard to tell.

My question is, has anyone tried to break open Vitamin E tablets and putting it on their face where the scars might appear? I am worried that Vitamin E at this point might make my skin break out worse.

(Also, as an end note and nothing of true importance, but I am sick of people looking at my face and asking me "what happened?" Cystic acne has dominated my life since July and those questions only reinforce my obsessiveness.)

Vitamin E will not help - NIH had a study about this IIRC, and groups that used vitamin e were no different than placebo in terms of reducing lesions or lessening side effects.

The conclusion has been made that topical vitamin E will have no benefit for the skin and will not cause wounds to heal faster or reduce scarring. All those expensive creams that contain vitamin E are a waste of money. In fact putting vitamin E directly on the skin may irritate the skin further.

Arpazia, Kentucky RN loves the Vitamin E. Specifically the Vitamin E Capsules from GNC 400mg, no fillers or preservatives, those ones do cause breakouts. Also as evigrex has stated there have been studies to show Vit E useless, but some Dr's do say it works and recommend it. My daughter recently got stitches on her forhead, crashed into a wall. I put Mederma and Vit E capsules on it, the scar looks pretty good, but I don't know if the Mederma did it or the Vit E. Good luck and sorry could not be of more help, maybe kentcky rn can assist you.

Okay, so I figured I try the Vitamin E ritual this weekend by swallowing it and putting it on my face. The results of applying it on my skin are as follows:

At first, it made my skin feel really soft and got rid of the excess flaky dry spots surrounding the redness where the breakouts were subsiding. Both my fiance and his drunken best friend were telling me how this was going to make everything better. I was confident and believed that it would. However, this morning I awoke to find several new pimples all over my face and the same dryness.

After reading the scarring and hyperpigmentation message board on this site, I ordered Puredeming Intense Gel and a super expensive cover-up from Sephora. After putting $80 towards these products, they had better do something more than make my face break-out.

In addition, I have been taking Oil of Olay supplements, Zinc, Vitamin E and Milk Thistle and drinking as much water as possible.

I just wanted to keep you guys posted in case anyone was curious about globbing Vitamin E on their face.