Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey,

i started this up as a thread for all retin-a users past and present. maybe it will take of.

ok... i was on the regimen, well, i used bp cream once a day. my dermatologist i was refered to by gp, who ive met twice now, just told me to stop the bp and use retin-a. retin a is usual on the nhs so i understand. i have to use it for 2 months then go back again to see him.

so,... i got told to only use a small amount but it seems so stupid! do you think i can use it twice a day? i realise that the more you use doesnt necessarily make it work quicker - just i like to feel that my medication is burning my face up coz at least then i know its doing something!!! lol. how much should i use? any suggestions?

thats all for now. i'll come back tomorrow.

tim

I've been using it for 4 months. I thought the same thing when i first started using it...thinking it wasn't doing anything since i only putit on at night. I tried using it in the morning too but that was overkill. Whenever I washed my face, I could literally feel small pieces of skin coming off...it burned it too much. I wouldn't do that if i were you because it'll just irritate it extremely bad. Now when i put it on, i dont feel it burning or doing anything but it's obviously working because i haven't had a bad breakout in months.

thanks...

i think i'll just put slightly more on but stick to night time only. i don't like the idea of having red flakey skin. this will sound a bit strange but i miss a more time consuming and proactive skin care regime!!! putting on retin-a once a day is really boring and easy.

oh well... thanks again.

tim

Hey, i went to a doctor and they put me on retin a at night, bp during the day, and a minocycline pill once a day. this didnt work at all. my skin was so burnt and sore and never even helped my acne at all. I kept this up for a month before i decided the doctor had no idea what they were talking about. I tried the bp alone for a while. this didnt work. So then i tried the retin a alone. this didnt really work either but it felt a lot better. I was using it in the morning and at night, just a tiny bit.

Then i discovered what really really worked for me. Retin a once at night then about fifteen minutes later i put on a moisturizer. then nothing until the next night when i did this again. I was clear in about a week. It was amazing. I recommend you try this.

First do what your doctor tells you. I'm using differin, and the first week i noticed NOTHING. Then i started using more, and also bp. After a couple of days my skin was so RED, i was really embarrassed to go out of the house.

So be patient, the first weeks your acne probably will get worse. If you notice no irritation at all after a week or two, maybe you should add bp in the morning. Using more Retin a or differin makes no difference, because it works by altering the cells. If you use too much you just irritate your skin, making it more prone to breakouts.

yeah i got kinda a red face right now from the retinA but normally i can get away with using it twice a day with no real redness! maybe i changed to a harsher soap or something?????? gonna cut back to once a day for a while until im my original colour again lol

Retin-A works very well, especially on your back. It cleared up several horrible outbreaks I have had. However, I only used it at night. Using more of it does not make it work better. It is very drying at first. You also have to be careful not to expose the treated skin to the sun - you will get badly burned. If you go out, you must use sunscreen. The skin on your back is thicker than your face. Not sure why the Retin-A worked great on my back and did nothing for my face...

hey people,

so... you reckon i should try bp in the mornings and retin-a at night if no improvement in a few weeks? is this really ok to do???

marshall: what moisturiser do you recommend?

my skin is ok... some improvement but still some red marks, and infact some new red marks, but no real major breakouts yet.

my skin is so oily... i think that shaving and using retin-a has made my skin overproduce oil. i'm not going to use retin-a tonight to give it a break. retin-a has peeled my skin slightly, i can see why you all thought once a day was enough now! i don't want my face to fall off.

cheers for the ideas, i'll keep some moisturiser and bp at the ready in case i need to go on the offensive.

anyone here know what treatment (short of accutane) is the best available on the nhs? (uk national health service).

i'm off to drink a pint of water and then get plenty of sleep.

c ya.

the moisturizer i had at first was awesome. My doctor gave it to me in these little round white containers that read "hymed recon cream". I ran out of that and have not been able to find any ever since in any stores but it was incredible stuff. I really didnt start clearing up till i followed the retin A with that stuff.

A good sub moisturizer is cetaphil spf 15. can be a little harsh on sensetive skin so be sure to only use retin A at night with it and dont put on to much.

If your skin does get better and you get taken off the retin A like i did, the only thing I have found that still works is Neutrogena Skin clearing moisturizer with salicylic acid and retinol. Not a great moisturizer, but its got the retinol in it. If i stop using it i'll break out about four weeks later all over my chin.

I tried the BP in the day thing RetinA at night. My face was so burnt and sore and broken out. On top of that all my pores were clogged and i got really oily. My face felt so uncomfortable all the time. It was awful. Don't try this if you have sensetive skin. But dont count out a method if you haven't tried it, so give it a go for a little anyway.

cheers for the advice.

today i have used nothing! my face needed a break from it all.

i'll look out for those moisturisers. i may start using retin-a at night, moisturiser in the morning.

c ya

Since this is a retin-a thread, does anyone know how long you can stay on it? I shudder to think I might have to get off it soon.

does retin-a work?? it seems like everyone says retin-a doesn't seem to work. i just started using it about a week ago. it hasn't done anything. if so, how long does it take?? i saw someone recomended retin-a and a mosturizer, so i might try that. how long do you wait to put the mosturizer on after the retin-a??

I love it. It seems to be the only thing that works for me. I tried proactiv and broke out quite badly..I've tried just about every cream, gel, etc from stores and nothing worked. At first, it dried me out but now it's the complete opposite..I'm really oily now. Since it's only supposed to be used at night, couldn't you just use the moisturizer during the day? Either way, it's probobly okay to put it on a few minutes after the retin-a.

i think the reason a lot of people say retin-a doesn't work is because they stop taking it before the beneficial effects are seen. You should really stick with it for at least 12 weeks before giving up. It took me about 8 weeks before I noticed an improvement.

Also, make sure you follow the instructions closely- I saw someone recommended a product with salicylic acid. This is NOT a good idea. You should be using a gentle, non medicated cleanser such as cetaphil. Also, a moisturizer with SPF 15 is a must if you're going to be going outside at all.

Matt: When I timed it i waited about fifteen minutes, but i dont think this is necessary. Eventually it just became whenever i felt like putting it on. I always did it, but its not crucial to get it on immediatly after you apply retin A. As long as when you apply the moisturizer you dont rub off the retin A it should be cool.

Peachy: Yea, i did say the neutrogena with salicylic acid and retinol is what i used now. The salicylic acid is awful, i wish it werent in there. However its the only med thats not prescription that has retinol in it. It does seem a little harsh some times, and its not nearly as effective as retinA but it has similar effects. They just arent as good. I think the problem really lies in the fact that its a retinol med and a moisturizer all rolled into one. Its like a shampoo and conditioner mix. They kind of work together, but they work much better if they come from different bottles. If anyone knows of any over the counter retinol meds please post them.

I would also like to say i have been taking vitamin A supplements for a little. I can't really tell if they are helping but I can say for sure they aren't aggrevating things.