Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gutterflower

Keratin Hair Treatments.

Hey guys. :)

I've been trying to grow my hair out for a long time now, and I've finally got it to a length that doesn't make me want to throw a tantrum (minus an unfortunate streak of insanity that compelled me to have a straight fringe cut into the front... it will grow out, it will grow out, it will grow out...), but because it's quite curly, fluffy and unruly, I've been finding things to use on it that will cut down on the frizz and the split ends enough to allow it to continue to grow without being painful in the meantime.

I'm booked in for a keratin treatment (that Brazilian one...) next Tuesday, and I'm definitely getting it done, but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this sort of treatment? I considered thermal reconditioning, but it's not available in my town, and I don't know if I want to flatten my hair out so much as just take the frizz away and make it soft and shiny.

I will post a before and after picture here once I've had it done, my hair right now is horrendous because I have to douse it with hairspray and wear it in a ponytail just to even remotely tame it if I don't want to spend the hour and a half it takes to flat-iron it into submission (this is terrible because my hair is so fragile and dry, being curly, that my ends singe regardless of what heat protector I use on it).

Anybody? :)

Your hair sounds exactly like mine :P I didn't know you could do that for curly hair, I thought it was to make your hair super straight and frizz-free.

Sorry don't have any experience, but I'm curious to see your before and after! :D

Hi! I can't tell you anything about the Keratin Treatment but I can tell you about the Japanese treatment, which (I believe?) is the same as thermal reconditioning. However, the Japanese thing was HORRIBLE! I told the guy who did it that I just wanted to eliminate the frizz (before I actually had really beautiful hair...it was long and wavy, BUT had a lot of frizz and wasn't shiny at all) and not completely straighten it (I also have to add my hair is fine). And what happened?! Afterwards, I had PIN straight hair without a single wave!!!! And my hair looked so thinned out, just like spaghetti hung beside my face! At least my hair was shiny and smooth but I hate it! He told me not to shower for 3 days as the straightening stuff had to seal in and of course I showered and it helped a little .. So, please girls, only do this if you want reaallly straight hair!!

As for the keratin treatment, my best friend had it done and I hated myself for not choosing that method!! She has naturally really frizzy/wavy and thick, blond hair thats really long and her hair looks like in a commercial now!!! SUPER SOFT AND SHINY but still wavy - without the frizz!!! I hope yours will look the same :)

Also, keratin is actually beneficial to your hair's health... not like the Japanese damaging sh** :((

Your hair sounds exactly like mine tongue.png I didn't know you could do that for curly hair, I thought it was to make your hair super straight and frizz-free.

Sorry don't have any experience, but I'm curious to see your before and after! biggrin.png

Apparently it's really good for curly hair! :D Because it doesn't actually straighten it, per se, just makes it sit nicer, and takes a little of the curl out.

Hi! I can't tell you anything about the Keratin Treatment but I can tell you about the Japanese treatment, which (I believe?) is the same as thermal reconditioning. However, the Japanese thing was HORRIBLE! I told the guy who did it that I just wanted to eliminate the frizz (before I actually had really beautiful hair...it was long and wavy, BUT had a lot of frizz and wasn't shiny at all) and not completely straighten it (I also have to add my hair is fine). And what happened?! Afterwards, I had PIN straight hair without a single wave!!!! And my hair looked so thinned out, just like spaghetti hung beside my face! At least my hair was shiny and smooth but I hate it! He told me not to shower for 3 days as the straightening stuff had to seal in and of course I showered and it helped a little .. So, please girls, only do this if you want reaallly straight hair!!

As for the keratin treatment, my best friend had it done and I hated myself for not choosing that method!! She has naturally really frizzy/wavy and thick, blond hair thats really long and her hair looks like in a commercial now!!! SUPER SOFT AND SHINY but still wavy - without the frizz!!! I hope yours will look the same smile.png

Also, keratin is actually beneficial to your hair's health... not like the Japanese damaging sh** sad.png(

Oh my goodness. :( I actually considered the thermal reconstruction, but it's not available here... I looked at a whole heap of reviews last night though, and a lot of people feel the same way you do. I don't think I want to have perfectly straight hair! I like the volume my hair has (except today, I flat ironed it and it is straight out fluffy... ugh). Have you considered having a keratin treatment done now? It might restore your hair's luster a little bit!

I also decided on the keratin because I'm trying to grow my hair super long, and it might reduce the amount of trims I need. :) Plus make it bearable while it's an awkward length (it's at the point where it tucks itself into my shirts... damnit).

Haha, lucky you!! I bet you'd be as desperate as I am now :( Noo, I think super straight hair is boring. For me, curly or wavy, shiny hair is the most beautiful hair ever! I may do the keratin thing but the Japanese stuff cost me 350 dollars and at the moment I can't afford spending another 200 for keratin :( I hate myself so much for doing it!!! I'm also trying to grow my hair but it never seems to work out!! My hair is mid-shoulder length now and always gets pretty thin and full of splits when it gets to that length...but I'll keep trying! Lots of conditioner and I never blow dry or straighten it so it stays healthy! We'll see :)

So, it's been... a week and a half, 'round about, since I had my hair treated.

Really, it's made no difference to my hair. I'm disappointed, because it cost me $300 and it took 3 hours, I followed their instructions to a tee, but three days later when I washed it with organic shampoo, it went straight back to being frizzy, unkempt and unruly as it always has.

You live and you learn, I guess. :) I wouldn't do it again. The experience was uncomfortable, not being able to get my hair wet sucked, not being able to pin it back sucked, not being able to have it in a ponytail sucked and having it all turn out to be pointless really sucked.

I have however found other products that smooth my hair out, and I'm trying to work with my curly hair to get it to sit right. I guess if you're looking for a quick way to become a Pantene model overnight, you can only keep dreaming because it doesn't happen. If you want pretty hair, you have to make it pretty... you don't just roll out of bed with a shiny, magnificent mane. :lol: Oh, wishful thinking.

Anyway, you guys might have a different experience, but for me, I could've used that $300 on something that was worth it. Or squandered it on other superfluous crap. The latter being more likely.