Notifications
Clear all

Skin Is Dry And Flaky During The Winter--Likely Causing Acne. Should I Wash My Face Less In The Winter?

MemberMember
(@negative-creep)

Posted : 02/14/2012 11:12 pm

For a while now my routine has been, wash with a cleanser when I first wake up, shower sometime during the day then wash face with cleanser at night. If I had just been sweating a lot then I'd wash my face an additional time with just water. This typically only occurs during the warmer months.

During the winter my skin can get real dry and flaky. Like right now it is quite dry and after I wash it I can see it peeling all over. Problem is, I've had real bad luck with moisturizers. They just seem to make me break out more or some even burn my face and make my acne scabs MUCH worse. So I'm a little hesitant to try another moisturizer...I thought maybe instead I should reduce the amount of times I wash my face during the day?

MemberMember
(@vikki17)

Posted : 02/14/2012 11:20 pm

Have you tried Purpose moisterizer?

MemberMember
(@negative-creep)

Posted : 02/14/2012 11:23 pm

Have you tried Purpose moisterizer?

I don't know what that is. I've tried some aveeno stuff that made my face burn and I tried a few with salicylic and they seemed to make me break out.

MemberMember
(@hapamommy)

Posted : 02/14/2012 11:31 pm

You should always try to moisturize because not only is it better for your skin but it also inhibits oil production. Maybe you just need to find the right moisturizer for your skin. I have eczema and hypersensitive skin and I've been able to find some that work for me. Sure, sometimes I'll try something new and I get flaky, red skin AND hives. But I found that Cetaphil moisturizing cream at night helps with the dryness. You just need to make sure you get a moisturizer that doesn't have any chemicals like salicylic acid, AHAs, etc. It'll irritate and dry your skin out more. My aesthetician had me use this spray with "heavy water" and I spray to before moisturizing and it helps retain the moisture in your skin. I live in Colorado and this place dries me out. My skin was "crispy" from Differin and other meds I was on. So the spray helped and using a mild cleanser with a Clarisonic brush helped as well. The brush helps gently exfoliate and clear out pores so moisturizers sink in better. I didn't know what the hype was for this brush but just after couple weeks my face looks good and no longer "crispy." Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@vikki17)

Posted : 02/14/2012 11:31 pm

You can buy it at Wal-Mart. It's a simple moisturizer that won't irritate your skin or clog your pores, and it has sunscreen in it. I'd suggest that.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 02/15/2012 8:42 am

plain yogurt mask! this stuff is amazing. it'll calm your entire face and reduce redness and make it soo soft. You definitely want to find a good moisturizer. I know it's very hard to find a moisturizer that agrees with your skin, but in the long run it's worth it. Just buy your moisturizers from target or walmart so if you hate them, you can return them and buy something else with no hassle. good luck! ps. i use CeraVe PM lotion night and day and love this stuff.

MemberMember
(@tarynosaurusrex)

Posted : 02/15/2012 2:57 pm

It's interesting that you said that a certain moisturizer made your face burn - the Cetaphil moisturizer w/sunscreen that I use kind of makes my skin burn when I apply it. What is the reason for that, I wonder?

MemberMember
(@pargat32)

Posted : 01/22/2016 8:57 am

Use a Good Mild Moisturiser
Some Good Face Moisturizers for Dry Skin Are
1.Cetaphil
2.Lacto Calamine with Aloe Vera
3.Lakme Fruit Moisture Range Moisturizers
4.Aroma Magic Almond Lotion
5.Lotus Herbals Sheamoist Shea Butter & Strawberry Moisturizer
6.Revlon Touch n Glow Creams
7.Loreal Hydrafresh Aqua Cream
8.Olay: Regenerist Microsculpting Cream
9.Oriflame: many to choose from
10.Lancome Absolue Night Treatment

MemberMember
(@avad499)

Posted : 01/22/2016 5:34 pm

Hmm I don't think it's the face washing but it could be, try to cut it down to once a day, and if your face feels super dirty doing this, just rub some warm water into it. Also moisturizing is extremely important, if you have not had luck with moisturizers I would highly suggest a essential oil. There are many, and it depends on your skin type but they are usually much less irritating due to the amount of pure ingredients and lack of chemicals. To start out I'd suggest Rose Hip oil, just dab a little all over your face and see how it reacts. Wish you the best of luck!

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/22/2016 9:35 pm

This happened to me before, Use a toner after cleansing. Make sure your face is a little damp when you use the toner.

MemberMember
(@kerunai)

Posted : 01/23/2016 6:10 am

Hi all..im new to this forum..just want to ask whether i can use moisterizer or not? I have oily skin.. Thanks

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/23/2016 1:32 pm

7 hours ago, Kerunai said:

Hi all..im new to this forum..just want to ask whether i can use moisterizer or not? I have oily skin.. Thanks

I have oily skin too and yes, use a moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@isabellaaaap)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:52 pm

I would say definitely try a new moisturizer, cetaphil or aveeno work well. Some people also say coconut oil works wonders as a moisturizer and it probably won't burn your skin. Also drink tons of water, this will help you a lot!!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/29/2016 4:19 pm