Notifications
Clear all

Just Trying To Find My Way.....a Holistic Approach To Acne

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/12/2012 1:49 pm

Hi all, i am not new to the forum but i am semi new to the holistic side of acne. On Tuesday i will be visiting my first ever naturapath and i am hoping that will be the jump start i need to get my acne under control. It has taken over such a big part of my life, altered my personality and tampered with my self confidence. Well guess what, i am ready to take my life back.

The regimen in my signature will stay until i am advised what to replace it with. As for diet and supplements, here is where i am at so far

Supplementing roughly 1 month:

Fish oil capsules

vitamin D 5000 IU

Alpha Liopic Acid

Chromium Picolinate

Vitamin C

Diet:

Gluten and Dairy free for a month

Only grains consumed are Quinoa and Quinoa Flakes and occassionally brown rice

Chicken, turkey, beef and rarely pork (organic if possible)

coconut and olive oil

lots of greens (kale, spinach, brocolli, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower)

lots of spices (tumeric, onion, garlic)

Low GI fruits (apples, rasberries)

I am prediabetic at a healthy weight

Lifestyle:

Weight train 2 X per week

light cardio 3 X per week

Stress is an issue

So as you can see, i have been trying but so far, topicals and my current lifestyle changes haven't produced the type of change that has made me go....Oh My God, this is working.

I plan on recording my journey here through entries and pictures and hopefully i'll be able to post in the success thread in a few months. Feel free to comment, make suggestions and offer support......there's no such thing as too much support.

MemberMember
(@dmb41)

Posted : 02/12/2012 2:10 pm

I've been drinking a green smoothie or two a day for a month and am seeing some decent results. Maybe it's due to the antibiotics and topicals, but if it's not, the smoothie's won't hurt. There's a giant thread in the Holistic section.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/12/2012 3:10 pm

I've been drinking a green smoothie or two a day for a month and am seeing some decent results. Maybe it's due to the antibiotics and topicals, but if it's not, the smoothie's won't hurt. There's a giant thread in the Holistic section.

Good luck!

Thanks DMB41! I definitely think the green smoothies will help more than hurt. I had constipation issues before and since stating healthy eating, probiotics, exercise, etc, etc, i go regularly so somethings have changed......except for my acne. What concerns me is that i still break out everyday so that tells me that there are pieces of this puzzle missing (i knew i hated puzzles for a reasoneusa_think.gif ). I'm hoping the naturopath can run some test and at the very least, point me in the right direction. I am also willing to give topicals a break and for a little while try a more natural regimen - the naturapath said she could help with this also. I am going into this with a positive frame of mind and hoping for the best.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/14/2012 10:06 pm

My visit to the naturopath:

Well i had my first visit to the naturopath and one word describes it all......interesting. I can't real say i was in awe of her knowledge as i have learned a lot from the org and my own research but she was spot on in her diagnosis and confirmed a few things for me.

Things she says i am doing RIGHT:

diet is good and she says i should continue.

supplements are fine

Things she wants me to add/subtract

Stay on topicals, just less of them so she suggested i cut back to 1 instead of 4. She suggested i do not quit cold turkey as that would most likely cause my skin to freak out and me to stress out.

Try grapefruit seed extract as a toner/topical antibiotic to kill bacteria on my skin

Detox using Green Food Powder

Dandelion Root Capsules

Work on stress, my adrenal function and sleep with magnesium and a few other supplements.

i go back in a month and i hope to have all supplements by next week.

i know this will be a bumpy road but here's hoping for an overall positive experience

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/23/2012 7:25 pm

Day # 3 - I'm not sure how to number this log as i have been doing the diet thing for over a month, closer to 2 with little to no improvement. I am also on a topical so that is probably making it much more difficult to judge if diet is working or not. But in any event, As of three days ago, i have begun taking supplements to help me with my stress level, sleep and adrenal function. Those supplements are:

magnesium

cortisol manager

New Chapter Rhodiola Force (to assist with adrenal function)

So far, i am sleeping better not as soundly as i like but better than it was before. Also, i feel less stressed. on the acne front, skin is dry thanks to the topical - Naturopath recommended i stay on them until things settle down. Since i've switched topicals recently, i do expect the IB pretty soon.

I intend to start the dandelion root and green powers in a week or 2 so that my body has a chance to get used to the supplements i recently started.

I have a feeling its gonna be a bumpy ride. Anyone else have experience with dandelion root or green powders for acne?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/10/2012 9:25 am

Day # 19

So as you can see, i have a whole mass of things going on which will no doubt make it difficult to see what is working and what isn't.

Since my visit to the naturopath on 2/14, i implemented the supplements geared towards reducing my stress level and assisting me in sleeping better:

Magnesium

Cortisol Manager

Adrenal supplement.

Since 3/8, i switched from the Adrenal support (which came in a tablet form), to one in a cream form, applied to my elbows and knees 3 X daily. It is called Adrena Calm and people swear it reduces cortisol levels and decreases stress. It's only been 2 days so i can't swear to anything. Since yesterday (3/9), i have added Vibrant Green Powder (concentrated greens) in the A.M. to supplement the greens i am already eating. It is said to aid in detoxing and boosting energy as well as alkalizing the body so will use it till it runs out. The last suggestion made my the naturopath that i am yet to implement is dandelion root. I will wait till i am 2 weeks in with the green powder so that i give my body enough time to adjust.

Since i basically started this regimen around the same time i switched retinoids, i am sure it will get worse before it gets better. I will gauge my success with supplementation/diet at the frequency of my breakouts because while retinoids help heal acne (cover it up), they technically don't cause it (not the root cause). If the internal changes i am making works, then technically i should not be breaking out as much.

I will update again in a few weeks when i start the dandelion root.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/25/2012 7:49 am

Day # 34

I have implemented the final recommendations of my naturopath: Dandelion Root Supplements. I started this on Friday and since then, have been breaking out more on my chin - coincidence perhaps or something more, not quite sure. The dosage that is recommended is 3 pills twice daily. I am starting out at 2 pills daily and each week i will add 2 more till i am at full dosage as i don't want to shock my body too much. It is definitely too soon to tell if this will help my acne. All i know is that i will give everything, topical and holistic at LEAST 3 months before i decide it is not working

I visit my naturopath again this Saturday for a follow up. Will update again then.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 04/04/2012 7:52 pm

I think you need to find a new Naturopath. In stead of adding supplements, you should be subtracting the food, ect, that are causing your health problems. Here's some links to help you in the right direction...

http://www.centerforfoodallergies.com/acne.htm

http://onlyacne.com/allergies-cause-acne.html

http://www.allergy-details.com/food-allergy/top-20-food-allergies-delayed-reactions/

http://www.foodallergytest.com/

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/05/2012 3:26 pm

Kidego, thank you for the advice. I am not ready to get rid of my naturopath just yet as my digestion has been stellar since taking the supplements she suggested. I have eliminated several foods from my diet and still have acne so who is to say for sure that food is the direct cause of my acne. It can and most likely is a combination of factors. I find that by switching things up too often i was just stressing myself out more and not enjoying life. With that said, i am still on a quest to become healthier and hopefully clear up most of my acne without sacrificing the things i enjoy in life.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/12/2012 9:58 am

Well it's been officially 3 months since i saw my naturopath. Needless to say, despite the elimination of dairy and gluten, the added supplements, more exercise and an attempt to reduce stress - i am still breaking out. I am disappointed and if it wasn't for my health, i would want to revert back to my previous lifestyle.

It really bugs me when people pm me or post comments making it seem as if my acne is my fault, ex ' you need to do X beacuse that is why you have acne'.

The truth of the matter is that we are ALL different and what may work for one person may not work for another....and to those folks who present their suggestions in a know it all manner, know that you are doing more harm than good. We were all at this point at one time or another so don't think that because you have found something that works for you, it makes you an authority on anything except a regimen that works for YOU.

With that said, i would like to thank the tons of people that have given me nutritional, topical and overall holistic suggestions in a kind, non judgemental manner - it has been greatly appreciated. I revisit my derm in a month to revisit my regimen and i will probably return to my naturopath or another one. In the mean time, i will be stopping the green vibrance powder as it has substansial soy and iodine in it. If at the end of the month i notice no changes for the better, i will add it back in and finish out my container. i will restart warm water and lemon in the A.M. and my vitamin D supplement (which i stopped as my powder had it in there). I may also restart taking my zinc as i have been sick for almost a month now.

I plan to add to this log as new things are added to my regimen

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/12/2012 6:34 pm

It seems like you're doing a lot to help your acne and I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time. I've had acne for about ten years and I'm merely 20. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll find your magical cure. :P

I drink a cup of lemon juice every morning a half an hour before I eat anything to cleanse my liver and such. Have you ever given those liver flush things a try? I saw a pretty dramatic improvement in my skin after doing so.

But I agree with Kidego, maybe adding supplements that aren't really proven to be absorbed into the body aren't really helping as much as we all wish they would. I take supplements but I'm still wary.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you. :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/13/2012 7:11 am

Thanks clamnak3 - i know that i am doing everything in my power, i guess i am just not a patient person....lol. It's just so frustrating being an adult in the working world with acne. I am cutting back on some supplements but keeping others. At this point, all i can do is to continue to be healthy and take care of myself. The acne will work itself out on its own time.

Good Luck with your treatment as well

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 05/14/2012 3:56 pm

Just found this thread. I'm also gluten-free, no eggs, dairy (vegan), limited soy and a bunch of other things. I have been seeing a naturopath for the past 2 years (for depression and migraines). She has helped me a lot. Has yours run any tests (thyroid, vitamin D, hormones, IgG food sensitivity, etc)? Getting those things on track for my depression helped my acne, coincidentally. Now, I am breaking out because she has me on progesterone support (so I break out the way I would just around my period). It's been a godsend for my depression, but sucks for my acne.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/16/2012 8:02 pm

Just found this thread. I'm also gluten-free, no eggs, dairy (vegan), limited soy and a bunch of other things. I have been seeing a naturopath for the past 2 years (for depression and migraines). She has helped me a lot. Has yours run any tests (thyroid, vitamin D, hormones, IgG food sensitivity, etc)? Getting those things on track for my depression helped my acne, coincidentally. Now, I am breaking out because she has me on progesterone support (so I break out the way I would just around my period). It's been a godsend for my depression, but sucks for my acne.

Hello, i did test my vitamin D levels which were low and i currently take 5000iu daily. I also did a food allergy AND intolerance test but despite staying away from those foods, i still break out. I am also battling depression but i am treating it with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and no meds (which makes things extremely hard). Trying to take it day by day and giving my topical regimen till June before i go back to my derm. I plan on still eating this way forever though because i feel better and i keep my weight off ( was almost 200 and now down to 145-150) plus i have prediabetes which i want to keep under control. Good Luck with your acne and congrats on getting your depression under some control.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/23/2012 7:11 pm

So i just got back from my nutritional response testing session and it was one of the strangest things that i have EVER done. They put some gel on a belt type thing that they tie around your stomach. You lay down and when you hear a beep, you stand up. A computer is monitoring something (not sure what). After that i was put on my back, my left hand held at a 90 degree angle while the 'dr' pushed it down while i resisted. She put different bottles and boxes on my stomach as she did this. In any event, i was like WTF happpened!?!

I go back for the analysis and program advice next week. The whole testing method seems unscientific to me but the whole idea of healing through whole foods is great. We'll see if i notice a difference. Not getting my hopes up at all. Seeing my original derm tomorrow to discuss my next step if topicals don't work. Next week i also have a follow up with my current derm in regards to my program.....definitely think i need to change - Almost 4 months in and no consistent improvement in chin acne (my main problem area).

Thinking that Epiduo is the last bet as i have tried everything else (except for tazorac which is too strong).

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/24/2012 6:56 pm

So i just got back from my nutritional response testing session and it was one of the strangest things that i have EVER done. They put some gel on a belt type thing that they tie around your stomach. You lay down and when you hear a beep, you stand up. A computer is monitoring something (not sure what). After that i was put on my back, my left hand held at a 90 degree angle while the 'dr' pushed it down while i resisted. She put different bottles and boxes on my stomach as she did this. In any event, i was like WTF happpened!?!

I go back for the analysis and program advice next week. The whole testing method seems unscientific to me but the whole idea of healing through whole foods is great. We'll see if i notice a difference. Not getting my hopes up at all. Seeing my original derm tomorrow to discuss my next step if topicals don't work. Next week i also have a follow up with my current derm in regards to my program.....definitely think i need to change - Almost 4 months in and no consistent improvement in chin acne (my main problem area).

Thinking that Epiduo is the last bet as i have tried everything else (except for tazorac which is too strong).

Wow that does sound strange. I think I need one of those tests to be done on me. Do you know how much it costs with insurance and stuff? I know it all depends but I'm soo broke and I've been wondering that for a while.

I also wanted to try Epiduo so good luck and let me know how everything goes :)

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 05/24/2012 7:05 pm

It sounds like you had muscle testing. If they did what it sounds like, the theory is that they put a piece of food (soy, wheat, etc) on you, and push on your arm. If you can't resist their push, it's because that piece of food is an allergen to you, and it makes your body weak. I don't know if I buy into that. I bet the actual allergy tests you've had done are more accurate.

I went off all of the foods I tested (by blood) allergic to and it helped me skin so much. When I tried to re-introduce after 3 months, like they tell you to do, I broke out all over again. I tried cutting out everything again, but that didn't help. My skin was pissed off, or it seemed like that's what was happening. Maybe I was just drawing correlations where there were none, who knows. On that note, I don't know if this helps or applies, but I cut out coconut for a while. I tried it again a few weeks ago and broke out. Again, not sure if it's correlative. So annoying. I think I'm going to get my allergies tested again next month, so I'll know for sure.

Keep us updated with your results :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/24/2012 7:13 pm

Wow that does sound strange. I think I need one of those tests to be done on me. Do you know how much it costs with insurance and stuff? I know it all depends but I'm soo broke and I've been wondering that for a while.

I also wanted to try Epiduo so good luck and let me know how everything goes smile.png

Lol....i know, i paid $60 because i was referred by someone. The original cost though was $91 and then $37 for subsequent visits. From what i've heard - after i get my results, i will be put on whole food supplements that address the parts of my body that are lacking for 12 weeks ( i have to go in for weekly visits where you may or may not be tested again - price included in the $37). After that, if there is improvement, you come back less often. Honestly, i am trying not to get my hopes up. I went to my derm today (my original derm, not the one who prescribed my most recent regimen) and she basically said that i have tried all the topicals that are available (except for epiduo and tazarac) and she think i would just have to wait my acne out....this was VERY discouraging to hear. I think if Atralin (retin A) was meant to work for me, it would have already eusa_wall.gif How is your regimen going? Maybe we can support each other during this rough time!

It sounds like you had muscle testing. If they did what it sounds like, the theory is that they put a piece of food (soy, wheat, etc) on you, and push on your arm. If you can't resist their push, it's because that piece of food is an allergen to you, and it makes your body weak. I don't know if I buy into that. I bet the actual allergy tests you've had done are more accurate.

I went off all of the foods I tested (by blood) allergic to and it helped me skin so much. When I tried to re-introduce after 3 months, like they tell you to do, I broke out all over again. I tried cutting out everything again, but that didn't help. My skin was pissed off, or it seemed like that's what was happening. Maybe I was just drawing correlations where there were none, who knows. On that note, I don't know if this helps or applies, but I cut out coconut for a while. I tried it again a few weeks ago and broke out. Again, not sure if it's correlative. So annoying. I think I'm going to get my allergies tested again next month, so I'll know for sure.

Keep us updated with your results smile.png

4Fours - it was a really weird experience, i'll tell you that. I have avoided the food that tested positive on my intolerance test and guess what, still breaking out more, if not worse. I can't seem to correlate my breakouts to anything specific either (foods, period, etc). I break out everyday and i f$#%ing sucks!. I'm hoping these people can help me as my derm basically told me to just let my acne go away on its own or birth control (to which i said 'hell no!')

I was still breaking out before i tried coconut oil and coconut milk so not sure if that problem applies me. Good luck with your recovery and i'll definitely keep updating.....could definitely use all the support i can get. Any tips you have, please feel free to share.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/24/2012 7:16 pm

I also wanted to try Epiduo so good luck and let me know how everything goes smile.png

Lol....i know, i paid $60 because i was referred by someone. The original cost though was $91 and then $37 for subsequent visits. From what i've heard - after i get my results, i will be put on whole food supplements that address the parts of my body that are lacking for 12 weeks ( i have to go in for weekly visits where you may or may not be tested again - price included in the $37). After that, if there is improvement, you come back less often. Honestly, i am trying not to get my hopes up. I went to my derm today (my original derm, not the one who prescribed my most recent regimen) and she basically said that i have tried all the topicals that are available (except for epiduo and tazarac) and she think i would just have to wait my acne out....this was VERY discouraging to hear. I think if Atralin (retin A) was meant to work for me, it would have already eusa_wall.gif How is your regimen going? Maybe we can support each other during this rough time!

Definitely, we all need to stick together and throw ideas around of what works and what doesn't. Right now I'm experimenting with the pH levels of my skin, using Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with distilled water and trying to find what works for me. I've tried eeeverything, went to the derm when I was like 12 and that's the last time I've gone. Trying to make another appointment with someone but I'm just getting frustrated hearing about how annoying everyone's dermatologists are.

My acne just recently took a turn for the worst and my cheeks are covered in little red bumps and a handful of white heads. I'm pretty sure it's heavily affected by my diet and I need to figure out what my trigger foods are which can be difficult because it takes a couple days, even a week, for it to show a difference.

I have terrible stomach problems and recently I've had pain in my gallbladder area. :\ My acne always fluctuates and just when I start to feel good about my skin BAM a ton of breakouts.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/24/2012 7:32 pm

Definitely, we all need to stick together and throw ideas around of what works and what doesn't. Right now I'm experimenting with the pH levels of my skin, using Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with distilled water and trying to find what works for me. I've tried eeeverything, went to the derm when I was like 12 and that's the last time I've gone. Trying to make another appointment with someone but I'm just getting frustrated hearing about how annoying everyone's dermatologists are.

My acne just recently took a turn for the worst and my cheeks are covered in little red bumps and a handful of white heads. I'm pretty sure it's heavily affected by my diet and I need to figure out what my trigger foods are which can be difficult because it takes a couple days, even a week, for it to show a difference.

I have terrible stomach problems and recently I've had pain in my gallbladder area. :\ My acne always fluctuates and just when I start to feel good about my skin BAM a ton of breakouts.

I feel you on that. The thing with diet is that what works for one person may not work for you. But just to start, you can start reducing/eliminating:

dairy

gluten

processed foods

sugar

It's not as hard as it may seem. Also, start upping your veggie intake. You may be one of the lucky ones that see improvement from just doing that (keeping fingers crossed). I didn't find an allergy/intolerance test useful for my acne but you may....definitely worth a shot. I commend you for doing natural. I am terrified of giving up topicals (even though they make me miserable) but i am hoping once my acne is under consistent control, i can give it a try. A think a derm visit is worth a shot if natural is not doing it for you......just start low and slooooooow.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/24/2012 7:36 pm

I know, I'm so scared I won't be able to commit to this diet but I really need to try. So what CAN I eat? Vegetables, chicken and fish are the only meats I eat, low sugar fruits?, what else idk I'm so bad at this stuff lol and I'm definitely going to the dermatologist sometime next month. :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/26/2012 9:33 am

I know, I'm so scared I won't be able to commit to this diet but I really need to try. So what CAN I eat? Vegetables, chicken and fish are the only meats I eat, low sugar fruits?, what else idk I'm so bad at this stuff lol and I'm definitely going to the dermatologist sometime next month. smile.png

I know, I'm so scared I won't be able to commit to this diet but I really need to try. So what CAN I eat? Vegetables, chicken and fish are the only meats I eat, low sugar fruits?, what else idk I'm so bad at this stuff lol and I'm definitely going to the dermatologist sometime next month. smile.png

I know how difficult it can be:

For Protein:

fish (esp Salmon)

Chicken

Beans

eggs

Low sugar fruits :

berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples)

Grains:

quinoa

brown rice

gluten free oats

quinoa flakes (kinda like cream of wheat)

dairy:

coconut or almond milk

daiya cheese (fake cheese)

vegetables:

sweet potato (go easy on regular potatoes)

any and all vegetables (leafy greens - kale, spinach, lettuce)

So you can see you have PLENTY to eat!

Keep me posted.....excited to hear how this works for you. Let me know how the derm visits go

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/26/2012 9:40 am

For Protein:

fish (esp Salmon)

Chicken

Beans

eggs

Low sugar fruits :

Grains:

quinoa

brown rice

gluten free oats

dairy:

coconut or almond milk

vegetables:

Keep me posted.....excited to hear how this works for you. Let me know how the derm visits go

Oh I can eat eggs? I thought that was a no-no but I do need my protein and it's so easy to make. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this list. I'll be using it as my bible for the next while and I will definitely keep you posted! Haha you're the best

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/26/2012 4:51 pm

For Protein:

fish (esp Salmon)

Chicken

Beans

eggs

Low sugar fruits :

Grains:

quinoa

brown rice

gluten free oats

dairy:

coconut or almond milk

vegetables:

Oh I can eat eggs? I thought that was a no-no but I do need my protein and it's so easy to make. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this list. I'll be using it as my bible for the next while and I will definitely keep you posted! Haha you're the best

Eating eggs would only be an issue if you were intolerant to it. I am very excited to hear how this works for you!

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 05/30/2012 4:39 am

fish oil could break you out

just a note..