Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Idolator

Best Vegetable Smoothie To Get Rid Of Acne?

Hey, so I've tried several different things to take care of my acne over the past 7-8 years, but nothing is doing the job. Topicals, antibiotics, etc. So now I've decided that I need to clear it in a more natural way, so after reading all of the success with these types of smoothies, I decided I'd give it a try.

What all vegetables and how much of each vegetable should I put in the smoothie? How much should I make and how much should I drink per day?

These are a couple of interesting threads I read about them, but both are using completely different vegetables, so it kind of makes me confused on which ones I should put into mine.

http://www.acne.org/...6-years-try-it/

http://www.acne.org/...reen-smoothies/

I know not just eating healthy will take care of your acne (For most people atleast), so I've also been taking some natural vitamins to take care of a few problems in my body, and my doctor says the problems are triggering my acne, so the vitamins she gave me will definitely help to get rid of it, but she also said that I needed to change my diet and eat vegetables too (Since I haven't ate vegetables all my life, and I'm sure having them in my body will help a lot in every way). So since I'd hate to eat them raw, I thought just making a smoothie would be the easiest way to do it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Idolator

My green smoothie usually goes like this ...

- 1 cup of loosely packed spinach, stems removed

- 1 cup of any fruit. I usually use strawberries or blueberries, this helps to reduce the bitterness of the spinach

- 1 banana

- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or water

- 1 tbsp flaxseed

- 1 tsp flaxseed oil for omega 3

It doesn't taste that great, but it's really healthy. I'd imagine some people would be all "woah, sugars from fruits alert!" but I've personally never heard of bad break outs as a result of the natural sugars in fruits, so long as they're consumed within moderation.

I have one green smoothie per day, one serving is enough. Feel free to have more if you want though, they're very healthy.

Carrot juice is also really good. Best to juice them yourself because no doubt the bottled stuff in the stores have added sugars or various stuff thrown in that isn't listed in the ingredients. Carrot juice takes a while to get used to but if you can get used to drinking it at least every other day, it does wonders for your health!

I'm convinced that a healthy diet can really help prevent acne for many people. I know that this is the case for me. Throughout most of 2011, I had a very healthy diet and my acne decreased dramatically. Unfortunately, I went through a traumatic experience in the fall that was unrelated to acne and I reverted to an unhealthy diet. My acne came back worse than ever. Stress probably had a lot to do with it too. I've recently got back into eating healthy and I'm noticing a gradual improvement.

Whatever you do, don't force yourself to have a 100% healthy diet, otherwise you may end up binging on sweets. Gradually introduce more fruits and veggies into your diet, and gradually decrease the amount of unhealthy foods you eat. As you start to eat healthier, you'll feel healthier and eventually eating healthy will become second nature.

Hope this helps.

My green smoothies usually consist of kale, spinach, 1 green apple, a handful of blueberries, and 2 cups of water. And iv notice a pretty big improvement with that.

Any green or brassica veggie and nutrient dense fruit like berries. Plus whatever else you want so long as you don't make it high GL. --ginger, chia, hemp, flax, coconut, banana, nut butter, etc. Of course adding things like spirulina or other such sea vegetable would be even better.

Edited by alternativista

Guest Timehealsall

spinach, some berries, celery, brocolli, cilantro, etc

What type of juicer/smoothie maker do you guys use? I need to purchase a new one!

spinach, some berries, celery, brocolli, cilantro, etc

What type of juicer/smoothie maker do you guys use? I need to purchase a new one!

I'm using VITA-MIX Drink Machine - 48 Oz biggrin.png

enjoy making Smoothie! smile.png

*Moderator edit - URL removed. Read the board rules*

Thanks for all of the helpful replies guys! I really appreciate it! I’d reply to each one, but I’m extremely tired, haha. So I'm thinking of doing spinach, romaine, kale, and chard for the vegetables. And apples, strawberries, and blueberries for the fruit.

Would any of these non-greens be necessary? Or should I just stick to using greens? Carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, beetroots, vine tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, etc.

-Thanks!

Edited by Idolator

Thanks for all of the helpful replies guys! I really appreciate it! I’d reply to each one, but I’m extremely tired, haha. So I'm thinking of doing spinach, romaine, kale, and chard for the vegetables. And apples, strawberries, and blueberries for the fruit.

Would any of these non-greens be necessary? Or should I just stick to using greens? Carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, beetroots, vine tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, etc.

-Thanks!

You can use carrots and cucumber smile.png

enjoy making and drinking smoothie smile.png

-Thanks!

You can use carrots and cucumber smile.png

enjoy making and drinking smoothie smile.png

Thanks a lot! I'll try those too! I picked up everything I needed, so I'll be making my first one tomorrow! biggrin.png I don't know much about vegetables to be honest, haha, how long can you keep vegetables before they go bad?

Edited by AKL

smile.png it is best if you will use fresh and organic vegetables..

usually when making smoothies they love to add frozen vegetables..

it depends on what kind of vegetables, do not keep them for more than a week.

Enjoy!

smile.png

The most important factor in your smoothies will be the dark, leafy greens - preferably from the cruciferous family, as these will help with balancing hormones. You have included several of these, so that's great. Let us know how your first smoothie goes - it can sometimes take a little trial and error before making them palatable. :)

smile.png it is best if you will use fresh and organic vegetables..

usually when making smoothies they love to add frozen vegetables..

it depends on what kind of vegetables, do not keep them for more than a week.

Enjoy!

smile.png

Thanks a lot for the reply! I've only had them for like 5 days I think, so I should probably throw them out soon then, haha.

The most important factor in your smoothies will be the dark, leafy greens - preferably from the cruciferous family, as these will help with balancing hormones. You have included several of these, so that's great. Let us know how your first smoothie goes - it can sometimes take a little trial and error before making them palatable. smile.png

That makes sense, thanks for the info! biggrin.png I don't know anything about vegetables, so that helps me a lot. :)

Thanks a lot for all of the help, guys! I actually drank my first one three days ago, and it wasn't that bad! gasp.gif (This is coming from someone who hasn't really ate vegetables all his life, aside from corn and potatoes, and anytime I've tried to eat vegetable I wanted to pretty much puke like a bitch, haha).

I pretty much used 75% vegetables and 25% fruit for the smoothie and I drank the equivalent of 2 cups. So I've been doing that for 3 days now and it's going pretty good.

The only issue is that it's hard to get my blender to blend it all up at once, it'll end up really thick and hard to drink, so I'll have to empty half of it into a cup, and then blend what's left in the blender, empty that into another cup, and then put what was in the other cup back in the blender to blend that up too, haha. It's a hard process, but oh well, for some reason my blender just can't blend it all up at once into a substance that is actually drinkable. Maybe I need to not fill it up so high with everything, and maybe leave some room and add some more water? I'm not sure....

So what I do is I'll make an amount of a smoothie that is about 4 cups worth; I'll drink 2 cups, and put the other 2 cups in the refrigerator to drink the next day. So I make fresh smoothies every 2 days. So maybe it's safe to get new vegetables once a week then? It just sucks, because the amount of vegetables I buy is the littliest amount you can get, yet, the amount is so big that it would last me longer than a week, but they will go bad before I can even use them all. Can you freeze them to make them last longer? I just want to save as much money as possible, haha.

Edited by Idolator

Wow!! I must applaud you for your efforts!!! Many people would simply throw their hands up in the air and not go to the trouble! I have some suggestions to help avoid those overly thick, hard-to-drink smoothies. I too ended up with some like this in the beginning, and well...I had to force myself to drink them down. The experience wasn't pleasant, and I thought about giving up, as it was just that bad. Thankfully I hung in there!!! Okay.... First off, you might want to start with fewer greens, and this will help with the cost factor as well. One or two cartons of greens is all you need each week, and you can rotate your greens every week. Chose one or two types of fruit for each smoothie. Also, be sure to de-stem your leafy greens if they have thick stems - this will help greatly with making them less, well...fibery... if that's a word. :) Another good thing about keeping your ingredients small and simple is that many in the raw food world say it's better to not eat several ingredients all at once....I really doubt this matters all that much, but who knows.

So... in one week, you might buy one carton of spinach, a few bananas, a couple apples, and maybe a couple different types of veggies, if you're wanting to also add those to your smoothie. I just think it's a good idea to start simply in the beginning so you don't go overboard. You can also buy frozen greens, so they don't go bad. Frozen vegetables are great for the same reason, and you can make delicious soups with frozen vegetables. I like to blend up greens with either broth or diced tomatoes, pour into a pot, and then add in frozen veggies, beans, maybe a little rice, some seasoning, and sometimes some vegenaise.... so good. :)