Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Long story short, when I was in high school I had mild acne, but it really bothered me. I ended up skipping too many classes on my "bad days" and ultimately had to leave school without finishing. I kind of slipped through the system with little notice. So now I am trying to finish my high school diploma, mostly through online courses.

I recently signed up for a day class in which you stay for 3 hours a day and get that credit in one month, but ... yes, I am dropping out Monday, because of all times, I now have had my first bad break out in months. So now I just stick to online courses, which I can actually finish and with great marks.

But the issue here is that I eventually want to go to college. I don't know how I will be able to handle it. Is this a sign of a greater problem, such as social anxiety caused by acne? Or is it just acne alone? If my face was 100% clear all of the time, I would be out there every day. I know it's ridiculous, but it's something I can't get over.

Has anyone dealt with something similar?

i agree, the problem probably started with some social anxiety or insecurity and acne just made it worse. a lot of people on here say that they thought if they had perfect skin they would be talkative and outgoing, but when they got clear they were still shy and insecure. it could have been that they were shy and insecure to begin with or growing up with acne made them insecure.

at least youre still doing the online courses, thats good. but youll have to go to classes eventually, and if you keep trying its not impossible to go to college. my dad tells me he finished high school but with pretty bad grades, and he went to community college for four years to catch up, and then another four years to get his bachelor's and then he even went on to get a masters degree. and my family friend wasnt so good in high school either, but she went to community college and lots of tutoring schools and now she got into NYU. so its going to take a lot longer than most people take but you can get there if you really try.

I was just like you skipped so many days of high school I barely graduated, I just felt like a fuckin freak with my face lookin like shit and now that I'm in college shit is kind of different people really don't care about your looks or even pay attention to anybody. But even still I still miss days on bad breakout days. I don't think you got anything wrong with you like anxiety or anything cause anybody who has acne can understand why you feel the need to be clear like everybody else. In all my classes I'm the only one with bad acne and I still manage to make a couple friends and socialize a little bit. But anyways college is kind of different is what Im trying to say than highschool.

the social anxiety is probably where the problem began

I haven't thought of this before but this is probably true. I had some issues in middle school and things fell apart after that, and that was before my acne started, so I guess it has a lot to do with that, but the acne definitely didn't help either. sad.png

at least youre still doing the online courses, thats good. but youll have to go to classes eventually, and if you keep trying its not impossible to go to college. my dad tells me he finished high school but with pretty bad grades, and he went to community college for four years to catch up, and then another four years to get his bachelor's and then he even went on to get a masters degree. and my family friend wasnt so good in high school either, but she went to community college and lots of tutoring schools and now she got into NYU. so its going to take a lot longer than most people take but you can get there if you really try.

That is very encouraging to hear, I'm glad things worked out for your dad and family friend. I've been surprised with how well I've done with these online courses because I've really pushed myself. I did notice that when I got back into the classroom for this recent course I tried to take, my marks went down again because I wasn't putting in the same amount of effort and I was missing content with all the missed days, so I think it's definitely better for me to stick to online courses until I get to college. I'd totally be at a dead end without online high school.

Also, yes you're right about having clear skin not solving problems. I achieved clear skin over the summer and the anxiety did not go away.

I was just like you skipped so many days of high school I barely graduated, I just felt like a fuckin freak with my face lookin like shit and now that I'm in college shit is kind of different people really don't care about your looks or even pay attention to anybody. But even still I still miss days on bad breakout days. I don't think you got anything wrong with you like anxiety or anything cause anybody who has acne can understand why you feel the need to be clear like everybody else. In all my classes I'm the only one with bad acne and I still manage to make a couple friends and socialize a little bit. But anyways college is kind of different is what Im trying to say than highschool.

I've heard college is a lot better so in that regard it's something to look forward to. Being in a high school with acne is just terrible. I recall reading on this forum once that it's like throwing yourself into a pool of sharks. I can't remember the user who said that, but I completely second that statement!

Thanks for the input everyone! smile.png

Edited by Twixie20

I still go to class if I have bad breakouts...simply because, at the end of the day, its just not worth it to miss classes. But I have days where I can't wait to leave.

Avoiding anything is a problem, regardless of why you avoid it. Whether your acne is the sole reason, something that kind of masks the actual reason, or perhaps used as a false justification in order to avoid tackling the actual reason, it's a problem. The main issues that you end up missing out on things and doing yourself out of opportunities, eduction, and so on, due to letting something else control you.

I really got caught up in that when I was in school. I only ever had bad experiences with bullies and stuff because I was always around the wrong people. Luck of the draw I guess. After that, I started avoiding everything. I really do mean everything, hardly left the house for a few years . I always thought it was because of my acne and that things would be better once it cleared up. I was wrong. Even though I do feel better about some aspects of myself now that I'm usually pretty clear of acne, all the issues that were at the root of avoiding things - inexperience, insecurities, social anxiety, lack of confidence and self-esteem - are obviously still there and still play a big part in things for me.

It's good that you're considering the possibility that there are other things going on here and that it's not just about your acne. I reckon you're on the right track. If you can, I'd suggest you try your best to go to the class you signed up for rather than dropping out. There's nothing to be gained from dropping out. Sure, I understand that it's not always easy to face whatever might be putting you off and it sometimes seems scary to battle through that, especially when you could escape those feelings by not showing up, but that's not an appropriate coping mechanism. If you allow that to become your way, it gets easier and easier to find excuses to drop out of things, to turn down opportunities, to avoid people, and to pretty much drop off the radar. Then it just becomes instinctive and it's hard to get all that stuff back and build the confidence again. Trust me on that one!

What I'd suggest instead, is that you have a think about why it might be that you feel like dropping out and why you feel as though you can't handle it. Obviously your acne is playing a part because it's evidently enough to bother and distract you, but it's worth considering how it makes you feel and how you'd feel in contrast if it wasn't there. Same goes for interacting with people and participating in things - it's natural that you might not feel especially outgoing if your skin bothers you, but if those feels really get in the way and aren't entirely dependent on your skin, then it's worth working on that regardless of your acne. It's kind of a vicious cycle because if you back out of things and avoid people, there's the potential to forget how to do it in a way. Then, in my experience, when you get to a point where your acne's cleared and you want to get out there, it seems difficult and scary because it's not something you're actually used to doing anymore, owing to the fact that you didn't push through the insecurities when the acne was around.