Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dermadude

This is Getting to expensive

OK, I just went to see a derm today that cost about 200 for a forst time visit and It was so fawking retarded. I went there and this derm which looked like he had pretty bad scarring himself was in a rush and barely even listened to what I said. I was talking about my scars and he kept going immedialty to my minor breakout and said you should treat the zit. so he prescribed me with retin a micro and minocycline and told me he does subcision but also recommended smoothbeam by another doc.....

500 buck per session blink.gif what the hell

Im so worried about the retin a and he gave me the .04 strength and I'm kinda scared to use it because I heard it cause inital breakout but he said it would help the collegen modeling in my scars....... So fawking confused

ive had dermabrasion and it made my ice picks turn in to depression and I was considering fillers but I want something permenent because I see no point in getting temp fillers. most of my scars are depressed and im kinda losing hope and I wish I could seriously slap the shiiiiit outta derms for being money hungry jerks

I've been coming here for a while and noticed the majority of the user that used to come here have dissappeared and Now I see mostly post of stuff that in the faq.

OK now my question is to people that have experienced subcision how are the effect after atleast 2 months and does retina micro really help scars???????

Any help would be appreciated

Dude,

My understanding is that Retin A micro can help the appearance of scars but its effects are temporary. I tried using it, it's a little bit harsh.

Dermadude,

I am also on Retin-A Micro. My doc gave it to me for acne treatment, though, and he made a comment to me that it might help with my scarring a little. He seemed in a hurry too, and didn't want to talk to me about scar revision. I wonder if we went to the same dermatologist (Rustad?).

Anyway, it does seem to help a little with the appearance of the scars. It probably is temporary. What it really seems to do is to exfoliate the outer layers of skin and cause the lower layers to regenerate faster. My skin is really smooth from it, and I like that, so I'll keep using it for now. Before I started using it, I was getting an occasional cyst on my neck (I know, it's weird). After beginning with Retin-A, Clindamycin gel, and Rosanil cleanser, my acne seemed to migrate to other areas of my skin for a little bit (I started getting acne on my temples, which I never had before). I just kept going with the treatment, though, and eventually it cleared up.

The only complaint I have with Retin-A Micro is that it is a little expensive. Even with insurance, my co-pay is $30! I work for the state, though, and our insurance isn't the greatest. I think you should try it for a while, and see how it goes. You might be able to get Retin-A from outside of the U.S. for less too. I lived in So. CA a few years ago, and I knew this guy down there who would drive from L.A. to Mexico to get his Retin-A for cheap, and without a prescription I believe.

Well, that's all I have. No experience with subcision, but you might check out Tamara's thread on that if you haven't already. I have an appointment with Zelickson next week, so I'll let you know how that goes. I wonder if maybe punch floats and another dermabrasion by Dr. Yarborough might not help with the depressions left over from your icepick scars. Have you sent pictures to Dr. Y? He will call you back if you leave him a phone number, and from my experience, he will give you an honest evaluation of what he can do for you.

Take care,

John

OK first of all teplo Im a student full-time and I work partime so I dont have insurance and second insurance rarely covers scar treatment... so dont bother throwing sarcastic comments in. I ve spent nearly 5000g on scar treatments so thats why I tend to be a little on the angry side since a majority of derms and plastic surgeon are full of shittt. I wouldnt mind paying the derms fees if they actually had something constructive to say but from what ive experienced there on a assembly line of people....giving each patient maybe 5 min at a time.

John, the doc I went to see was peter lee and i plan on seeing zelickson as soon as i can but from what I hear hes does a majority of laser treatment but ive had numerous referrals to him and the place he works for only charges 65 for a first time visit and after that its free for any visit for any doctor at the clinic, so im gonna give it a go. Its cool that there is somebody in MN who can share in the experiences with derms so keep me update don your progress. Dr Y seems like he is a competent doc and i would have been eager to go to him for dermabrasion but right now I cant go through the downtime and the expense to get his procedure done unsure.gif. so my option are

1. subcision

2. smoothbeam

2. fillers

retin a jus scares me because of all the negative reviews from people who say that it causes a initial breakout which in time would produce more scarring

I'm a student full-time and I work part-time, and I use my university's medical center with the insurance that is affiliated with my university.

I tried going to a dermatologist and she pricked my pimples with a needle which left red marks all over my face. The red marks disappeared after two years or so. It was really bad. I've noticed that until now, there are shallow pits on my face caused by needling. There are certainly non aggressive ways to treat acne. But why oh why did she have to prick my zits?

Sure, she claims that if my zits were left unpricked, they'd collapse on themselves and cause shallow dents. I'm just saying, if the cure only results in more scars, what's the use, right?

The dermatologist gave me Retinol which didn't help much. I stayed with it for months but the redness didn't disappear as claimed by the product insert. Also, the needle pricks got infected which caused more damage to my skin. The derma gave me antibiotics but it didn't work. They got infected anyway.

Before I went to the derma, I didn't really get acne scarring. After I went to her, I got acne scarring. I don't think I can completely trust dermatologists ever again.

In the future, you could schedule appointments with Derms who offer free consultations. I think it's best to treat acne before treating acne scarring because some treatments may exacerbate acne.

Call around and find out if any other Derms in your area offer SmoothBeam at a cheaper price.

I can't tell you how your skin will respond to Retin-A Micro because everyone is different. Some people have seen their scars improve, others seem to think that it has helped cause them to scar. It's something you should research and weigh the pros and cons.

I understand your frustration, but people are usually in business to make money. Think of all the schooling they have to pay off as well as the cost of all their staff and equipment.

In my experience (yours may be different) subcision was not long-lasting for me. I think some of the improvement was due to swelling, and some of my scars have become bound down again. I don't want to do it again because I have heard several stories of scars getting deeper. Not sure if it's true, but not willing to risk it either. It's best to research these treatments yourself so that you can determine if the benefits outweigh the risks for you.

Tamara, I just wanted to throw in a little THANK YOU! for all the help you offer. It is really appreciated. smile.gif

Okay, I'll stop with the thread hijacking now. Heh.

TAMARA it seems like your one of the last ones left that actually been here for a while and your help is greatly appreciated. also its very hard to say what treaments are going to work because a majority of user that have had smoothbeam and subcision are long gone so its kinda hard to get a progress report. As far as derms go they reALLY SUCK COMPARED TO THIS SITE

I think that no matter what scar revision treatment you get there are always going to be risks, i do not believe that with subscision you're scars can actually get deeper, i think thats just hype, most stories i have read about people who have has subscision are good ones, unlike with people who have had C02 laser, dermabrasion, permanent fillers, i think these three procedures have far greated risks, than subscision does. I plan on getting subscision done in May next year, followed by restylane in my deeper pitts. I'm praying tht it will give me noticeable improvement. If i were you i'd just go for subscision!

GOOD LUCK smile.gif

I think subcision is the best option for me because of the type of scars I have which are indents in my skin. I've always had smoothbeam in the back of my head because the concept seems to make sense but its hard to ell because so many people have had it done and say there are no result but the majority that have done it are no longer on this board so is it possible that it just takes a while for it to show improvement. And another thing is why would you need 6-7 treatment 3-4 weeks apart when the collogen remodeling take up to 6 months. Wouldnt you be destroying the progress by going in so soon for another treatment before you give it a chance to remodel????? sound like a scheme to get more money....

Thank for the advise miss shady I think I will try the subcision and lactic peels afterward to see how well it works

WAW! those pics are VERY encouraging and i dont think that they have been touched up either, how many subscisions did he have, just one? i wonder how long the improvement lasts before you need to get it touched up.

Wow! That guy really did get some serious improvement - hope, for his sake, it will last. I wish I could find a doctor that would perform subcision in Florida. unsure.gif

Im gonna go ahead with the subcision so Ill keep you posted

By the way meet pete your right subcision would do nothinf for pitted scars. but your talking 2 very different type fo scarring

Hey jonhchlabek, Did you see dr zelickson yet and how was he. Type to actually listen of the type that rushes through everything. What type of treatments did he recommend?????