Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jepooley

Failure Is Not An Option.

Hello everyone, I'm Jessica or Jess. I'm 18 years old and I've had acne for about 6 years now. Over the years my acne has gone from moderate to mild. Things have been really up and down for me and my acne has caused me a great deal of emotional damage. So this is really my last straw before I give in and see a dermatologist. I'm guessing that my acne will be gone in a year or two, this guess is based upon the fact that my mom had acne as well and our skin is very similar. Unfornately for my mom her acne was cystic while mine consists of every kind but cystic (although I still get deep pimples, but they aren't large enough to be cysts) along with huge pores (even clay couldn't clear my pores). Anyways, my mother's acne cleared when she was 21 and I'm guessing mine will dissapear slightly earlier. This is obviously just a guess but I'm really hopeful that it will prove to be true.

So here's my regimen, or a lack of one; at this time. I only treat my skin at night, I refuse to do anything to it in the morning. So here's what I'm going to be doing every night. I will take a shower and wash my face with water only. I use hot water to open up my pores and get the dirt out. After I shower I spray on my Na-PCA Non-Oily with Aloe Vera, and as much as I'm attached to this moisturizer I feel it's too light for my dessert dry skin (which is why I have decided to no longer wash my face with a cleanser), so if anyone has any suggestions for someone with dry sensitive skin let me know ( I would prefer something all natural).

So along with my regimen I've started taking a multivitamin (specifically for hair, skin, and nails) along with a cinnamon supplement. I will continue using the cinnamon for one month, if no improvements are seen I will begin using the next supplement on my list. I a supplement is helping me I will keep taking it and add another until I am clear.

Here's my list (I'm adding new ones to my list everyday):

Lactoferrin 250mg x 3-4 per day

Vitamin D-3

Evening Primrose Oil

N-Acetyl-Cysteine

Gymnema Sylvestre

Bitter Melon

Alpha-Lipoic Acid

Ginseng

Taurine

Vitamin B Complex

Spirulina

Chlorella

I need to be clear for college, college is my one shot to finally feel like I finally fit in somewhere and if my skin isn't clear I will fall flat on my face, because of my face. My skin is my obsession and I want to worry about more important things in life.

I'll probably be adding some pictures later along with my first entry.

Thanks for reading and best of luck to all of you!

Edited by jepooley

February 9th - Day 1

Would you look at that, I literally just started this blog and I'm already doing a horrible job of keeping up with it. Anyways, yesterday I had an okay skin day. I finally popped one of the deep pimples on my cheek but the other above it hasn't come to a head yet. my skin looks awful right now, I have hyper pigmentations all over the lower half of my face and my skin is still flaking off. The whole purpose of me discontinuing the use of my facial wash was to restore the moisture in my skin. It's obviously not going so well. How long does it take to typically see results from the caveman regimen (since it's kind of what I'm doing). As for the the rest of my face I have lots of new little pimples all over, I popped two on my forehead (which is absolutely covered in tiny red bumps) and I found two little whiteheads on my cheek. Oh and my nose has now decided to break out in tiny red bumps as well.

I guess that's a good thing, although my skin looks awful. I really wish the lighting at work didn't make me look so disgusting. Everytime I go to the bathroom I end up spending like five minutes in there picking at the dead skin and blackheads and whiteheads all over my face. It makes me feel awful.

I can honestly say that there is a long list of dieases I would gladly take over acne. People really don't seem to grasp how utterly terible it is to have acne. I don't enjoy feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. I really wish I could give up, but I won't let myself give up. The way I feel in my own skin will continue to motivate me until I'm clear. I have seven months, seven months to end this curse. If things don't start looking up, I will be greatly considering going to a natropath. I'm really not ready to let the dermatolgist reek havock on my face just yet. I see the condition my mom's skin is in and she took tons of acne medication, and I really afraid that I'm going to ruin my skin forever.

I would also like to ask you guys about OTC retinol. My pores are always clogged, no matter how often I wash my face. I mean you can see that they're dark inside but they are not blackheads. They're also super large all the time. So I'm looking for something to clear them out, I've used the aztec clay before and it really didn't help. I think that retional would work well for me, bu if you have any other suggestion for me please don't hesitate to put in your input.

I'll be putting some pictures up later I swear!

Thanks for reading, and remember to never give up. You'll always lose if you never try.

Update: I have decided to stop scrubbing my face for a week to see how it goes.

Here are the pictures I promised:

2psn1jt.jpg

afgevr.jpg

30be629.jpg

t9eglw.jpg

Edited by jepooley

I' m sorry to hear that you're having such a tough time with your skin at the moment and I really hope that you clear for college like you obviously are really hoping for.

Have you thought about trying BHA? I bought some from Paula's Choice and it is supposed to be excellent for blackheads and clearing pores. I only had a few blackheads on my nose and they disappeared very quickly. I'm sure that they would work for your pores as well and clear them out.

I completely sympathise with the lighting at your work - I have overhead strip lighting in my office and also work with people who have great skin or wear tons of makeup so I feel awful as the lighting just makes me PIH look even worse!

I'm sure you've heard it before but picking at your skin is going to make the PIH worse and will probably spread the infection.

Good luck and I hope things go well :)

Hi,

You are on the correct path here, and I would recommend you not scrub your face, just let the water rinse over you while you are taking a shower, splash your face morning and night before bed, that is all. I also recommend just letting it air dry and to not use a towel to dry your face. Good luck.

Hi,

You are on the correct path here, and I would recommend you not scrub your face, just let the water rinse over you while you are taking a shower, splash your face morning and night before bed, that is all. I also recommend just letting it air dry and to not use a towel to dry your face. Good luck.

Thanks, I've decided to stop scrubbing my face. So now I'm using water only. My skin is super dry still though, do you think spraying cold water on my face often would help keep it moist because I'm really trying to stop using any products and right now I'm still using my moisturizer because I have such dry skin.

I' m sorry to hear that you're having such a tough time with your skin at the moment and I really hope that you clear for college like you obviously are really hoping for.

Have you thought about trying BHA? I bought some from Paula's Choice and it is supposed to be excellent for blackheads and clearing pores. I only had a few blackheads on my nose and they disappeared very quickly. I'm sure that they would work for your pores as well and clear them out.

I completely sympathise with the lighting at your work - I have overhead strip lighting in my office and also work with people who have great skin or wear tons of makeup so I feel awful as the lighting just makes me PIH look even worse!

I'm sure you've heard it before but picking at your skin is going to make the PIH worse and will probably spread the infection.

Good luck and I hope things go well smile.png

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also I'm elimating all products from my regimen I want to use water only to help restore my damaged acid mantle. Ugh yes the lights are horrible. They make me feel so self concious. Also I'm working on my issues with picking. I think I'm slightly OCD and that manifests itself in my desire to rid my self of the lesions that are holding me back from achieving my view of self "perfection", but I digress.

Thank you and the best to you as well.

Edited by jepooley

February 10th - Day 2

Well today was a really good day for my skin but not so much for me. I was told that my 14 year old is more mature than me. I was also told that I shouldn't let my boyfriend control my life even though he doesn't. It's super annoying because this person really doesn't know me well enough to make that kind of a judgement, and I won't lie it really hurt. I try to make up for the downfall of my skin with my personality and my brain, and for someone to critque me in such a manner really hurts.

On a more positive note my skin has continued to improve throughout the day. I have noticed an increase in flaking skin on my face. It's very hard not to pick at it. I've decided that I'm going to be replacing the liquid moisturizer I have with brita filtered water to completely elminate all products from my routine. In fact my face is feeling dry right n0w s0 let's see how this goes.

Well, I just gave it a try a I like it! I'll definitely be using it frequently to help restore the moisture in my skin. I believe that once the acid mantle has been restored my skin will retain natural moisture. I really can't tell you guys how excited I am about this. I mean I'm already seeing improvement after two days. I'm praying that my acne has continued to exsist because I continue to use chemicals and drying washes to get rid of my acne. I beleive that anyone who doesn't feel that their acne is dominated by their hormones (I believe I was cured of my hormonal acne after I balanced them with birth control) should give this regimen a try. I mean think about it in this aspect, if you get a backache and then visit the doctor's they may perscribe you with a pain killer. That pain killer make work for a while but eventually you'll build a tolerance so you'll have to use more. The same applies to acne. Alright now lets say your back gets so bad that you need surgery and the surgery is a sucess. Would you continue to take those pain killers for pain you don't have? Of course not. Well although it's harder to tell with acne, I believe the same rule does apply.

Well thanks for reading! All feeddback, comments, suggestions, and etc. are welcome!

Edited by jepooley

February 11th - Day 3

Unfortunately, I don't have much to report today. Overall my face is the same, I had a few new spots that have cropped up throughout the day. There was one new medium and a handful of small ones. The medium sized one is kind of deep which worries me. It is possible however that my skin is purging. I believe once my acid mantle is restored my skin will be able to fight off the acne on it's own with the help of my hair, skin, and nails supplement. I have a lot of faith in this regimen, I really believe that my skin can fight off these infections on it's own. I would also like to note that the overall texture of my skin has improved, it actually looks like I have normal skin. I've also noticed that my pores have shrunk a little. I really think this regimen is going to take some time. Six years of damaged isn't going to take a month to heal. I won't give up this time. Oh I also forgot to mention that the water I've been spraying on my face has really been reducing the redness in my skin.

On another note, I've been looking into a few supplements:

- http://www.boots.com...0-tablets_9552/

- http://www.boots.com...0-Tablets_2269/

If you have any experience with either of these please let me know!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by jepooley

That's great that you've been having good results with just water! I'd love to use this method, but my skin just needs to be treated with something. Although I do use all natural products such as clay, honey, tea tree oil, jojoba oil. Picking was a huge obstacle for me to overcome, and I still catch myself picking sometimes. I told myself that I would never have clear skin if I continued to pick at it, and that's made it a little easier to stop. I still pick at my chest, but generally not my face. Think about it, when you pick you're not letting your skin heal its self naturally like it has the capacity to do. Maybe thinking about it that way will help you, since you seem very much about letting your skin heal on its own. Redness on an unpicked pimple, however unpleasant, is a sign of a healing pimple.

Thanks for reading!

I've used both of those supplements in the past although at the time, I was around 15 and my knowledge of skin care extended only to Clearasil and Clean + Clear!

I didn't find either of them very useful - what I have found excellent for my skin in regards to supplements is zinc (an absolute god-send when I've got an inflamed breakout) and Spirulina (only just started taking this a few weeks ago but its definitely helping my skin already) I also use Evening Primrose Oil intermittently to help with regulating hormones and have started taking Vitamin B Complex which is another excellent supplement.

I would recommend those rather than ones from Boots.

Thanks for reading!

I've used both of those supplements in the past although at the time, I was around 15 and my knowledge of skin care extended only to Clearasil and Clean + Clear!

I didn't find either of them very useful - what I have found excellent for my skin in regards to supplements is zinc (an absolute god-send when I've got an inflamed breakout) and Spirulina (only just started taking this a few weeks ago but its definitely helping my skin already) I also use Evening Primrose Oil intermittently to help with regulating hormones and have started taking Vitamin B Complex which is another excellent supplement.

I would recommend those rather than ones from Boots.

Ahhhh, yes I do remember the clean & clear days myself. I'm currently on a hair, skin, and nails supplement which provides me with an array of vitamin, minerals, and herbs, do you think it would be okay to take a Vitamin B Complex along with that? I'm also really interested in taking some D-3 (I think it's 3) because I've always noticed that I'm clearer in the summer when I'm in the sun more. I'll add both to my list of things to try.

That's great that you've been having good results with just water! I'd love to use this method, but my skin just needs to be treated with something. Although I do use all natural products such as clay, honey, tea tree oil, jojoba oil. Picking was a huge obstacle for me to overcome, and I still catch myself picking sometimes. I told myself that I would never have clear skin if I continued to pick at it, and that's made it a little easier to stop. I still pick at my chest, but generally not my face. Think about it, when you pick you're not letting your skin heal its self naturally like it has the capacity to do. Maybe thinking about it that way will help you, since you seem very much about letting your skin heal on its own. Redness on an unpicked pimple, however unpleasant, is a sign of a healing pimple.

Thanks, I'm super excited with my results so far! I can see my skin getting better and better everyday. If you are 18 or older and don't really show signs of hormonal acne I would suggest this regimen, if not don't try it. This definitely isn't for everyone. I must admit it's quite enjoyable not worrying about washing my face and I've been eating whatever I want for the most part. I still eat lots of fruits and vegetables though because I love them! I'm still trying to get past my picking habits. It's really hard because I prefer redness to an ugly whitehead. I'm trying though, I'll break the habit soon. Thanks for the support and good luck getting clear!

February 12th - Day 4

Only three (well now it's two) more days until I get to post new pictures. I'm excited to see the change in my skin! Yesterday I had a few tiny whitheads pop up but nothing more. This is great news seeing that I have been used to getting a lot more, and I also haven't gotten any deep pimples! The lower half of my face is doing quite well minus the huge ugly scabs lingering on my face. They will fade though, so I have no worries there. The only other problem I'm experiencing is flaky skin and around my mouth area. Judging by what I've read in the cavemen threads and what I know about the dead skin mask, this is normal. Oh I also forgot to mention that I've stopped touching my face when I wash it, instead I just let the water run over my face. I'm really loving the water in a spray bottle that I've been carrying around with me, I really think it's helping heal my skin at a faster rate. I'm kind of anxious to try evening primrose oil due the high rate of success that it has been attributed to on this site. It's really difficult for me to tell whether the cinnamon is working, I guess I'll find out when the bottle runs out. Well thanks for reading and I'll be sure to update you again at the end of today!

Edited by jepooley

I'm 20, and I don't think my acne is hormonal. I think my acne is based on a damaged gut and food intolerances, the gut damage could be largely in part due to having taken accutane in the past. Also, I have tried washing with water and it's not for me, at least at this point in time. Maybe once my gut is repaired and I've gotten rid of the bacteria on my skin. For now I'm using clay, manuka honey and tea tree oil which is clearing my active acne very very well. I've had way more results with diet changes than anything else. Everything I'm avoiding is in my signature.

Also spirulina like ohsailor mentioned is an amazing supplement to add into your regimen. It's actually a food, it's sea algae. I take that as well as chlorella. The only downfall of these two is the price, but they definitely help your skin immensely. They both speed up the rate at which your body heals acne (at least in my experience) and can help detox your body of toxins, especially heavy metals.

I'm 20, and I don't think my acne is hormonal. I think my acne is based on a damaged gut and food intolerances, the gut damage could be largely in part due to having taken accutane in the past. Also, I have tried washing with water and it's not for me, at least at this point in time. Maybe once my gut is repaired and I've gotten rid of the bacteria on my skin. For now I'm using clay, manuka honey and tea tree oil which is clearing my active acne very very well. I've had way more results with diet changes than anything else. Everything I'm avoiding is in my signature.

Also spirulina like ohsailor mentioned is an amazing supplement to add into your regimen. It's actually a food, it's sea algae. I take that as well as chlorella. The only downfall of these two is the price, but they definitely help your skin immensely. They both speed up the rate at which your body heals acne (at least in my experience) and can help detox your body of toxins, especially heavy metals.

I'm glad to hear that those are working well for you. And yeah if you have an internal problem like that you absolutely have to treat it from the outside. The natural aspect of your regimen is also really great.

Also I'll be adding those to my list! Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by jepooley

February 13th - 18th- Days 5 - 10

First of all let me apologize for the lack of updates, I've been busy for the past few days but now I'm back. So I have wonderful news, I can now count my active acne on two hands! That's certainly the first time I've been able to do that in years. Unfortunately I won't be posting pictures until tomorrow, the reasoning being is that I just popped a few pimples with a sterile needle. What a mistake. :c My face is all gross and red now, waaaah. :'c I promise I'll post pictures tomorrow. I think you guys are going to be really impressed. So I'm sure you'd love to know what I've been doing to stay clear. Well I've been eating whatever I damn well please and I been keeping my hands off my face (for the most part). It's funny how much I'd wish I had followed through with this a few years back. I was young though, and I just couldn't do it. I've noticed that my pores are getting a little smaller, they're still pretty big. :c I'm hoping they'll shrink more, but that's probably wishful thinking. One other thing before I go, I've noticed that my breakouts have become fewer and fewer. I'm giving it another month or two until I'm completely clear! Well thanks for reading guys and I can't wait to show you those pictures tomorrow!