Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it necessary to get a gyn exam to get a birth control prescription, or would a regular doctor prescribe it? I'm thinking of Yasmin to clear my face and regulate my cycle (sorry to any guys who read that). I'm just scared of a gyn exam because it sounds awfully awkward and painful.

Baby_doll: It's nice that you're honest and don't gloss it over like the exam was quick and painless. Not looking forward to it if I need to see a gyn to get a prescription....

James: Thanks for the input, but I'd rather have a basic physical to check my blood pressure and any other contributing risk factors before I take BCPs.

I've never had a visit with the gynecologist that has been very uncomfortable. I can't say its the most pleasant experience in the world but it wasn't at all painful or awkward. They are trained professionals and know how to make you more comfortable. If you don't want to go to a man you can request a woman.

I didn't even know they took swabs to prescribe the pill, is this usually just from Gynaecologists? I know that regular Doctors prescribe it without much hassle in England, usually just questions.

just make sure you find a gyno that you are comfortable with. mine is great. and even though i don't get excited when i have to go, and it's just slightly uncomfortable, it's no biggie.

Here in NZ regular gps do cervical smears ...I have never had a problem any doc who has carried our the smear. The whole deal takes less than 2-3 minutes. Whether they are uncomfortable depends largely on how relaxed you are. But I don't think I would describe them as "painful". It is certainly nothing worse than an exam you would have at your dentist.