Notifications
Clear all

To Naturopath Or Not Naturopath

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/05/2012 5:32 pm

Hi all. After nearing the 3 month mark on my topical and not seeing improvement, i think i am ready to give this holistic thing a try. Many of the suggestions here make sense but there is soooooooo much of it and as many of you have mentioned, what causes/heals one persons acne may not cause/heal mine. Long story short, i was thinking of seeing a naturopath. That way i could get a more personalised diagnosis and a fnger pointed in the right direction. Anyone else ever used one? Also, i am an avid reader of the blog 'high on health' and Fran (it's her website) has a friend who is a naturopath and she has a book out called Diagnose Your Acne. Apparently it highlights SEVERAL diffrent causes of acne and depending on which questions you answer and how, it has suggestions (skin care, diet, supplements) geared towards your specific underlying issue with acne.

Anyone else ever read this book?

So should i go see the naturopath? Anyone have success with them? Anyone can recommend one in NYC? Should i try to play dr (which i've been doing for a while now) and go through this book?

Any suggestions will be helpful......i am so tired of this.

MemberMember
(@creeeature)

Posted : 02/13/2012 4:55 pm

I am about to see a naturopath in the next two hours! I think it's a really good idea to get something personalized. I've had acne since age 12, and I turn 27 on Sunday. It was just in the last few months that I finally started doing more research into acne after just using BPO FOREVER. It just makes so much sense that acne depends on so many different factors. I abruptly stopped using BPO in August, and eventually I had the worst breakout ever, which also coincided with a lot of stressful things in my life. But now I'm finally taking steps with my diet, and using natural remedies and it seems to be making a difference already. I'm finally considering minerals and acidity vs base, etc. The naturopath I'm seeing soon had a free 15 min consult with me, and she said that it could depend a lot on food, so we're going to take a look at food intolerances, but it also seems like stress is a huge link, so we're going to look at my hormone levels.

I guess it would have made more sense for me to comment on this after my appointment- hopefully I will remember to check back here and I'll let you know how it went and if it's worth it. :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/13/2012 7:47 pm

I am about to see a naturopath in the next two hours! I think it's a really good idea to get something personalized. I've had acne since age 12, and I turn 27 on Sunday. It was just in the last few months that I finally started doing more research into acne after just using BPO FOREVER. It just makes so much sense that acne depends on so many different factors. I abruptly stopped using BPO in August, and eventually I had the worst breakout ever, which also coincided with a lot of stressful things in my life. But now I'm finally taking steps with my diet, and using natural remedies and it seems to be making a difference already. I'm finally considering minerals and acidity vs base, etc. The naturopath I'm seeing soon had a free 15 min consult with me, and she said that it could depend a lot on food, so we're going to take a look at food intolerances, but it also seems like stress is a huge link, so we're going to look at my hormone levels.

I guess it would have made more sense for me to comment on this after my appointment- hopefully I will remember to check back here and I'll let you know how it went and if it's worth it. smile.png

Thanks for the response! I am excited to hear what suggestions the naturopath makes for you. I decided to go see one and my first visit is tomorrow afternoon. If you decided to start a log, feel free to send me the link. I started my own log under the nutrition section and plan to update with pictures and hopefully progress (going into this with a positive attitude). Feel free to stop by. Hoping for the best for both of us!

MemberMember
(@creeeature)

Posted : 02/13/2012 8:19 pm

I JUST got back! The naturopath visit was interesting. I had a "ZYTO biocommunication scan" that sends energetic impulses to my body to test everything. She said that rice came up as a big issue for me, and corn too, and different types of cheeses. So I'm going on one of those allergy elimination diets for the next three weeks - no corn, rice, dairy - and wheat, which she added in because it's a common allergen I think. After three weeks I will add one food in at a time and see if that changes anything for me, I break out, etc. She also said that my adrenals and thyroid came up as issues during the scan. She gave me some homeopathic drops "Thyropath" as well as EPA/DHA fish oil, calcium magnesium, and Ashwagandha, which is an Ayurvedic herb. (I'm already taking a handful of other ayurvedic herbs, as well as zinc). It will be interesting to see if all of this does something for me!

We talked a lot about past diet history, any traumas or stresses in my life and other factors that could be potential causes. Stress had been a huge issue for me, which made sense since my central nervous system came up during the scan. We also talked about past travels, because I've been to a few remote places in the past few years. She gave me another homeopathic drop - Amoeba-Chord - in case I picked up any parasites, etc somewhere along the way... ugh!

The appointment and all the stuff I had was pretty costly... $440... but I feel like it was money well spent so far. Much more than my appointment I had at an Ayurvedic clinic two weeks ago. I feel really good about seeing a naturopath vs just getting more topical stuff. I'm really excited that naturopaths really take time to consider what's happening inside your body, as well as mentally/emotionally. It makes so much sense that it's all connected.

I think a positive attitude is super important! It's so great that you scheduled an appointment for tomorrow! I hope it goes well for you. Let us know what the naturopath tells you. Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/13/2012 10:12 pm

synthetopath is my recomendation.

to be serious though, they may simply give you vitamins and herbs, my mom has gone to one before, that was usually the end result. they may even sell you vitamins that in my opinion are overpriced, but sometimes decent quality, but still, not worth the price they charge.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/14/2012 8:55 pm

I JUST got back! The naturopath visit was interesting. I had a "ZYTO biocommunication scan" that sends energetic impulses to my body to test everything. She said that rice came up as a big issue for me, and corn too, and different types of cheeses. So I'm going on one of those allergy elimination diets for the next three weeks - no corn, rice, dairy - and wheat, which she added in because it's a common allergen I think. After three weeks I will add one food in at a time and see if that changes anything for me, I break out, etc. She also said that my adrenals and thyroid came up as issues during the scan. She gave me some homeopathic drops "Thyropath" as well as EPA/DHA fish oil, calcium magnesium, and Ashwagandha, which is an Ayurvedic herb. (I'm already taking a handful of other ayurvedic herbs, as well as zinc). It will be interesting to see if all of this does something for me!

We talked a lot about past diet history, any traumas or stresses in my life and other factors that could be potential causes. Stress had been a huge issue for me, which made sense since my central nervous system came up during the scan. We also talked about past travels, because I've been to a few remote places in the past few years. She gave me another homeopathic drop - Amoeba-Chord - in case I picked up any parasites, etc somewhere along the way... ugh!

The appointment and all the stuff I had was pretty costly... $440... but I feel like it was money well spent so far. Much more than my appointment I had at an Ayurvedic clinic two weeks ago. I feel really good about seeing a naturopath vs just getting more topical stuff. I'm really excited that naturopaths really take time to consider what's happening inside your body, as well as mentally/emotionally. It makes so much sense that it's all connected.

I think a positive attitude is super important! It's so great that you scheduled an appointment for tomorrow! I hope it goes well for you. Let us know what the naturopath tells you. Good luck! smile.png

We sound very similar! My naturopath mentioned that stress may very well be my trigger and since it has been ongoing, well......it is making matters worse. She also mentioned adrenal function. My cholesterol and my most recent blood work was LOW and she thinks it may be because of stress and its effect on my adrenal function. Long story short, she said my diet is great, my supplements seem good and that the first step for us would be reducing my stress (she'll recommend sleep aids and something for adrenal function) and detoxing using green food powder, milk thistle and dandelion.

Topically she recommended grapefruit seed extract as a toner (it works as an antibiotic) and to get a non acne related gentle cleanser. She recommened that i do NOT stop my topicals cold turkey as this would most likely cause my skin to freak out and thus stress me out more. She instead recommended that when i go back to my derm, i should reduce my topicals to one or two and leave it at that.

I see her in 4 weeks. I really hope for the best and plan to work on my stress level.

Good Luck to you as well and do keep me posted. Things sounded thorough on your end!

MemberMember
(@themedic)

Posted : 02/14/2012 9:10 pm

Many peoples adrenals and thyroids are screwed right through the roof. Some say its mercury, some say its modern viruses that have our immune systems going haywire, some say its chemicals. No idea myself.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/15/2012 6:21 am

Many peoples adrenals and thyroids are screwed right through the roof. Some say its mercury, some say its modern viruses that have our immune systems going haywire, some say its chemicals. No idea myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case Medic. Stress has become the new normal for many of us that its no wonder we all haven't had heart attacks yet. But in any event, hoping the next few months will bring noticeable positive change.....i miss my anxiety free self and being able to fall and stay asleep.

MemberMember
(@themedic)

Posted : 02/15/2012 12:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case Medic. Stress has become the new normal for many of us that its no wonder we all haven't had heart attacks yet. But in any event, hoping the next few months will bring noticeable positive change.....i miss my anxiety free self and being able to fall and stay asleep.

I didn't have endocrine style symptoms to the degree I began to have until i went screwing with loads of iodine. I picked up the technique from curezone and when everything went wrong because of it, the people there had NO clue how to help me. As usual, bunch of witch doctors playing with things they have no clue about.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/15/2012 5:51 pm

Many of the suggestions here make sense but there is soooooooo much of it and as many of you have mentioned, what causes/heals one persons acne may not cause/heal mine.

But the same basic advice applies to everyone and not just to acne but almost every health condition and aging. What you want is to consume lots of real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, to keep blood sugar stable by avoiding high glycemic meals, drinks and snacks, and avoid anything you have an intolerance to. And keep as natural as possible circadian cycle and be physically active everyday.

Stress. Poor sleep habits and unnatural circadian cycle. Nutrient deficiencies and diet habits that screw up hormones. Endocrine disrupting chemicals in plastics, perfumes, nail polish, etc. Deficiencies in nutrients that help the body deal with stress and anxiety. Lots of caffeine and energy drinks that stimulate stress hormones, etc.

MemberMember
(@themedic)

Posted : 02/15/2012 7:12 pm

Many of the suggestions here make sense but there is soooooooo much of it and as many of you have mentioned, what causes/heals one persons acne may not cause/heal mine.

But the same basic advice applies to everyone and not just to acne but almost every health condition and aging. What you want is to consume lots of real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, to keep blood sugar stable by avoiding high glycemic meals, drinks and snacks, and avoid anything you have an intolerance to. And keep as natural as possible circadian cycle and be physically active everyday.

Stress. Poor sleep habits and unnatural circadian cycle. Nutrient deficiencies and diet habits that screw up hormones. Endocrine disrupting chemicals in plastics, perfumes, nail polish, etc. Deficiencies in nutrients that help the body deal with stress and anxiety. Lots of caffeine and energy drinks that stimulate stress hormones, etc.

Too many discrepancies right there. :S

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/15/2012 9:42 pm

Where?

MemberMember
(@themedic)

Posted : 02/15/2012 9:54 pm

Where?

Well there are many people who go through everything you just mentioned, and remain stable for their entire lives. Granted, there is a lot of new kinds of exposures and circumstances however; after years and years of reading I've seen time and time again people with what I call 'haywire' syndrome, try and use sleep, nutrient dense food, cutting caffeine, lowering sugar and avoidance of chemicals but never recover. The most effective methods I've seen involve very strict chemical exclusion diets, but those people can not ever go back to eating the way they did before without symptoms returning. The fact of the matter is there needs to be very significant specific biochemical changes in the body occuring to produce these conditions. And the real discrepancy is the fact that there are pleanty of people under high stress conditions that operate just fine. They eat what they want, they get exposed to the same stuff as you and I, sleep five hours a day but they remain stable yet we get sick. This leaves me to assume that there is some gene, or some virus, or some poison that we have in our bodies that they don't.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 02/16/2012 3:37 pm

It's definitely possible that a naturopath could help you and bring your attention to areas of health that could use improvement. However, educate yourself as well. Think of these naturopaths as "helpers," but don't assume that they have all their facts straight. I have been to highly recommended naturopaths and M.D.s that people fly across the country to see that were recommending things I "knew" weren't right! We're all human and none of us have all the answers. You can listen to what they say, but research it first.

I wouldn't go if the upfront visit was really expensive, and before buying any supplements from them, I'd first research those supplements and see if you agree. For example, many docs are still recommending synthetic, dangerous supplements (for example, a multi-vitamin that contains vitamin A). Many are still recommending kelp, despite the current dangers from radiation that kelp today now contains. Many well-respected, alternative M.D.'s are too quick to write out a prescription for synthetic thyroid medication. In the end, you really have to be your own doctor, but it can certainly be helpful to get other opinions, blood work, etc.

You could wind up spending a fortune. Before doing so, I would give a natural, whole-foods, nutrient-rich diet a chance (lots of greens). Exercise, get sunshine, sleep, etc.... If after doing this you're still having issues, then perhaps a naturopath could help you pinpoint those things - but I'd give the basics a try first!! :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/17/2012 12:45 am

what do you think about eating ice cream? Is it okay to eat lets say once in a while.. or if you eat sometimes lets say 3 cones of ice cream in one week (like a single scopp from thrifty)?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/17/2012 3:10 pm

Where?

Well there are many people who go through everything you just mentioned, and remain stable for their entire lives. Granted, there is a lot of new kinds of exposures and circumstances however; after years and years of reading I've seen time and time again people with what I call 'haywire' syndrome, try and use sleep, nutrient dense food, cutting caffeine, lowering sugar and avoidance of chemicals but never recover. The most effective methods I've seen involve very strict chemical exclusion diets, but those people can not ever go back to eating the way they did before without symptoms returning. The fact of the matter is there needs to be very significant specific biochemical changes in the body occuring to produce these conditions. And the real discrepancy is the fact that there are pleanty of people under high stress conditions that operate just fine. They eat what they want, they get exposed to the same stuff as you and I, sleep five hours a day but they remain stable yet we get sick. This leaves me to assume that there is some gene, or some virus, or some poison that we have in our bodies that they don't.

What exactly is your 'haywire' syndrome? And the West is packed with sickly people medicated to the eyeballs. They aren't doing fine.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 02/22/2012 7:26 pm

It's all well and good to think you are going to do the "natural, healthy eating" thing on your own. But the fact is that there are sub-clinical underlying factors that can contribute to overall health that you can't catch on your own, and an M.D. wouldn't pay attention to. In my experience, a naturopath is someone who actually looks at the whole body, not just their specialty. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

When people try doing supplements on their own, they don't treat it like medicine. They aren't consistent, and they are really just playing a guessing game. My naturopath is great, but she actually uses real blood tests from labs, she doesn't do hokey "out there" stuff. I think Bastyr grads are a cut above. I started seeing mine for depression and headaches, but for me what is good for my brain has been bad for my acne. It's definitely worse now than it was before I stared seeing her, but if you are going just for acne, I bet they can help. To make sure they aren't ripping you off, research the costs of the supplements they recommend, you could prob find cheaper prices online. Just make sure you get that brand, since there are a lot of crappy supplements out there and they know what the good stuff is.

MemberMember
(@themedic)

Posted : 02/22/2012 9:24 pm

In my case I'm not suprised a naturopath couldn't treat my acne, the kind of diet I'm on would make a naturopath get REAL confused.

MemberMember
(@creeeature)

Posted : 05/01/2012 3:55 pm

Hi Sasch12, it's been awhile - Have you gone back to the Naturopath more since you originally posted? I just got back from my third visit with the Naturopath. It has been an interesting journey. In my first visit, we decided to do the allergen elimination test, so no wheat, corn, rice, dairy for three weeks, and then I added one in one at a time. I think I saw a bit of a reaction from all of them, which is unfortunate, since I enjoy eating all of them. :)

On my second visit, we decided to do some blood tests including a finger-prick blood test for allergies. She also gave me fish oil, calcium-magnesium, ashwaganda (ayurvedic herb for stress), and various homeopathic things.. one for my liver, one for adrenals, etc.

The blood test is tremendously helpful! Anyone who goes to a Naturopath should do one, I think. It gives you a full, accurate picture of what's going on. It was pretty expensive since I don't have insurance, but I found it to be worth it so far. I have a slight iron deficiency, and a severely low vitamin D deficiency. Most of my hormones were pretty balanced. Through the allergy test I learned that while there aren't any foods that are red-flags that I should completely avoid, cheese and wheat came up as my biggest issues, so she recommended that I eliminate them completely.

One thing that I thought was unusual but interesting is that she tested different sound frequencies that resonated with my body, so I am supposed to listen to a particular frequency for like a minute every day for a few weeks. This is probably the most out-there concept to try to grasp, but I'm kind of out-there, hehe - so I'm going with it for now!

I'd be interested to hear what your progress has been now at this point! Hope things are well!

I guess it would have made more sense for me to comment on this after my appointment- hopefully I will remember to check back here and I'll let you know how it went and if it's worth it. smile.png

Thanks for the response! I am excited to hear what suggestions the naturopath makes for you. I decided to go see one and my first visit is tomorrow afternoon. If you decided to start a log, feel free to send me the link. I started my own log under the nutrition section and plan to update with pictures and hopefully progress (going into this with a positive attitude). Feel free to stop by. Hoping for the best for both of us!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/01/2012 6:12 pm

Hi Sasch12, it's been awhile - Have you gone back to the Naturopath more since you originally posted? I just got back from my third visit with the Naturopath. It has been an interesting journey. In my first visit, we decided to do the allergen elimination test, so no wheat, corn, rice, dairy for three weeks, and then I added one in one at a time. I think I saw a bit of a reaction from all of them, which is unfortunate, since I enjoy eating all of them. smile.png

On my second visit, we decided to do some blood tests including a finger-prick blood test for allergies. She also gave me fish oil, calcium-magnesium, ashwaganda (ayurvedic herb for stress), and various homeopathic things.. one for my liver, one for adrenals, etc.

The blood test is tremendously helpful! Anyone who goes to a Naturopath should do one, I think. It gives you a full, accurate picture of what's going on. It was pretty expensive since I don't have insurance, but I found it to be worth it so far. I have a slight iron deficiency, and a severely low vitamin D deficiency. Most of my hormones were pretty balanced. Through the allergy test I learned that while there aren't any foods that are red-flags that I should completely avoid, cheese and wheat came up as my biggest issues, so she recommended that I eliminate them completely.

One thing that I thought was unusual but interesting is that she tested different sound frequencies that resonated with my body, so I am supposed to listen to a particular frequency for like a minute every day for a few weeks. This is probably the most out-there concept to try to grasp, but I'm kind of out-there, hehe - so I'm going with it for now!

I'd be interested to hear what your progress has been now at this point! Hope things are well!

Creeeature, it sounds as if you're on the right path! We sure do have to jump through a lot of hopes don't we?

Like you, i did an allergy and an intolerance test and tested positive for dairy, wheat, eggs, oats and string beans. Everything else seems to be a safe food. I have cut out all those things for a couple of months and i'm not so sure if they have an effect on my acne as i am doing other nutritional stuff as well as topicals. I do miss eggs though and occasionally cheese so once my acne stabalizes, i'll test. I don't expect to be 100% clear and i refuse to live my life avoiding certain foods 100% (junk food being the exception) so we'll see how that goes. I followed up the 1st visit with a second with my naturopath and the supplements that i list in my sig are what i am currently taking. I have only recently added Quercetin to combat allergies in the air (keeping my fingers that this works as i have been really ill the past 2 weeks and have not been able to exercise). I may or may not pay for a third visit, especially if my acne improves and my doc has seen improvement in my a1c levels (re: prediabetes).

How is your acne these days? Hey, if a method works for you, go for it, no matter how weird it sounds. I think dairy and wheat cause lots of people issues especially since many of us eat it upwards of 3 times a day...no worries though, i found that after the first few weeks, i was able to abstain and not feel tempted - there are so many substitutes for dairy and wheat free options so......

Hoping to hear more about your progress

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/02/2012 9:37 am

Seems like a crazy amount of money to spend for stuff you could do for yourself, but if you feel you can't, and you have the money, I don't see why not. It's important to note that most of us probably don't have that sort of money though.

The way I feel is; educate yourself. That naturopath is just a regular person who has educated themselves. You don't need to go to school to get an education. If you learn enough, eventually you will know as much as the naturopath does, and by then you will probably not need one anymore because you'll have already found your answers.

I know a few naturopaths and we are pretty much on the same page about everything. They don't seem to be aware of much that I haven't learned on my own about food and herbs and the body over the years. We all have things to learn from each other but that's true of everyone, not just doctors... I can't imagine spending 400$ just to see them, but I probably would have felt differently had I been rich at the beginning of my path to curing my skin.

400$....jeez man. Maybe I should become one.

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 05/08/2012 2:56 pm

Seems like a crazy amount of money to spend for stuff you could do for yourself, but if you feel you can't, and you have the money, I don't see why not. It's important to note that most of us probably don't have that sort of money though.

The way I feel is; educate yourself. That naturopath is just a regular person who has educated themselves. You don't need to go to school to get an education. If you learn enough, eventually you will know as much as the naturopath does, and by then you will probably not need one anymore because you'll have already found your answers.

I know a few naturopaths and we are pretty much on the same page about everything. They don't seem to be aware of much that I haven't learned on my own about food and herbs and the body over the years. We all have things to learn from each other but that's true of everyone, not just doctors... I can't imagine spending 400$ just to see them, but I probably would have felt differently had I been rich at the beginning of my path to curing my skin.

400$....jeez man. Maybe I should become one.

With that line of thinking you might as well have your roommate learn about dentistry so he can give you a free root canal. Naturopaths are licensed health-care practitioners who have a doctorate; you can't just hang a shingle on your front door and call yourself a Naturopath. Do you really think you can learn everything they have learned in their years of med school, residency and in their practice?

Plus, no matter how much you learn, it doesn't add up to the ability to spot patterns or to trouble shoot tough, complex cases. Even if you learn all the facts, it tends to be the counter intuitive relationships between all of the systems that aren't talked about on internet articles. I think for people without complex cases, it must seem like the internet has it all written down.... but when the case is really tough, you finally see how deep the naturalpaths knowledge goes.

Go ahead and become one, and after you go through all the schooling, you will realize that maybe there was more to this Naturopath thing than you thought.

I'd rather invest in the most important thing in life... MY HEALTH... and spend my time doing things I love.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/08/2012 6:40 pm

Did you miss the part where I said, if one could afford it, I don't see why not?

It's not about choosing to invest or not invest. These things are not an option for someone like me. People with money probably have all sorts of options to play with. People without money have to figure out how to do things on their own.

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 05/08/2012 7:16 pm

the discissions totally up to you, personally for me it was a waste of time, I spent almost $300 and then she wanted me to buy her book and her herbal teas and her creams, was going to come to just over a thousand dollars, so I nebver went back./ If u do your own research online, check out some of the posts here etc, I am sure you could do just as good a job!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 05/09/2012 9:38 am

^Thank you...that's kinda the point I was trying to make.

I have a hard time trusting that anyone who would charge someone in need of healing $3-400. That is just raping people for their money and unless youre a millionare that is really going to hurt. My friend who is a naturopath told me everything she knows about healing for free--that is a real healer, someone who really wants to help people.

Do you really think you can learn everything they have learned in their years of med school, residency and in their practice?