Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BitterSweet098

Cant I Just Eat A Salad Instead Of A Smoothie?

???

Of course you can. You can also just eat vegetables and fruit.

And yes, if you get a reaction that fast, it is likely that you have an allergy.

Congratulations, btw.

Edited by alternativista

Awesome, thanks. I know.. kind of silly question but with all the information overload here of GI GL this-that ect ect..I just thought maybe there was something to the blending/juicing that helps more with acne. And yes, my cart at the grocery was 90-95% raw fruit/veggie.

Some say that more nutrients end up being more bio-available from all the crushing involved in blending. But how much more availabe compared to just eating raw in a salad would depend on what kind of a chewer you are. Crushing the cells starts some enzyme action going that makes many nutrients more available, but that also happens when you cut things up and when you chew. You should try to chop things, the smaller the better, then let sit for at least 5-10 minutes before you cook.

Yeah every so often I'll get into juicing fruits and veggies but will rarely take the time to pour them into another container I'll have to end up washing just to blend them together.

Also if I stick to just veggies with my juicer I can save all the pulp and make pizza crust with soaked ground/whole flax seeds! Something I did all the time a couple months ago.

And yeah, props to you for committing to changes in your diet, very nice to hear you're seeing results. :>

I took the plunge and changed my diet, not without my IBS consequences however. Anyways, I have def noticed a change in my skin since cutting dairy, sugar(Wow sugar withdrawals too...I watched quite an interesting 45min documentary on the Big Sugar giant too...scary), pasta and rice. I have somewhat adopted the Paleo Diet.. Oh and, I cut dairy for 7days, and then last sunday ate feta cheese and within 2hours had 4pimples!! Does this mean its more of an allergy than a sensitivity? To think I was eating a pound or more of cheese a week and lots of cereal lol.

Anyways, cant I alternate a salad with the smoothies? I love salads and have always eaten them 2-3days a week with all sorts of veggie toppings and very minimal dressing. I understand from the reading that I would absorb 4x the nutrients blending them. But, if Im eating a bigger salad than the leafy greens I'd put in the smoothie...wouldnt it equal out? I would like to do like 3days salads with a side of fruit and the rest smoothies..wouldn't this be just as beneficial?

Could you share the name of the documentary? I'd like to check it out.

It's not a silly question at all! It's quite smart actually! Just be sure to chew your bites really well, like Alternativista mentioned. Also, I think you said you'd do the equivalent of 4 times the greens in your salad, which is great. People that eat a lot of greens will often eat a "huge" salad in one of those big mixing bowls!! haha!! Your jaws actually need the exercise of "chewing," so eating all blended foods wouldn't be a good idea. I would definitely try to include some blended greens - and maybe some cooked blended greens too, such as in soups, but definitely continue to enjoy your salads as well.

If you don't have a problem with nuts, you might give the below dressing recipe a try. It's made without processed oils, takes about 5 minutes to make and clean up after and tastes like ranch dressing.... it's awesome. :)

Creamy Ranch Dressing (about 1/4 cup = 1 ounce of nuts)

A delicious and creamy dressing - also works as a veggie dip or a coleslaw dressing and is a favorite dressing among everyone. Adapted from “Healthy Ranch-Style Dressing” at www.leangreenmama.com by Jennifer McCay.

• 1 ¼ cups raw, unsalted cashews

• 1 cup water

• 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed

• 3 tablespoons lemon juice

• 3 tablespoons no-salt Dijon mustard

• 1 teaspoon black pepper

Blend all ingredients together. Store in refrigerator for up to 4-5 days

I utilize smoothies primarily for their convenience. Also< i can add ingredients that I may not enjoy eating, but their flavors get lost in the smoothie shuffle so my variety increases.

I will also eat salads before dinner, on occasion.

There are tons of benefits by drinking smoothie, also you can have the full nutrients of your vegetables or fruits salad easily consumable. smile.png

*Moderator edit - URL removed. Read the board rules*