Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grind

South East Asia & Acne

Its just an observation

But in my work I usually work in Asia and the Middle East

I've found that people in the middle east or north african / med area have pretty good skin in general. It's rare to see young arabs or turkish or iranians etc with much if any acne. they are usually pretty clean

whereas in south east asia, my time in thailand and where i currently am at the moment (indonesia), seems most of the people have some kind of bad skin!

i'd put it down to the diet which contains many fried foods, fried foods of which are not really 'clean' (old oil used in the street food etc), they never eat salad. where as the arabs and med people are eating more salads, just bread and grilled meat (yet for some reason, the south east asians regardless of their fried foods, are so small, slim and skinny - where as the arab / med people get pretty fat after they hit 25)

what about the climate? middle east / med hot but dry? lots of sun for sure most of the year if not all. south east asia is humid and sweaty - and asians never go outside if they can avoid it (due to their condition to be as white as possible)

what are your thoughts? because i'm looking at the people in indonesia and i'm seeing on the whole, much worse skin on average than say in europe or the middle east / central asia etc

Edited by Grind

It's genetic.

You could dunk some people head first in a vat of McDonalds oil every day for a month and they would still have flawless skin.

^ Softly softly is right.

I'm from Pakistan and I've lived in the Middle East/Pakistan for most of my life. I have acne (ethnically Pakistani) and most of my Pakistani friends have absolutely flawless skin. In fact, generally, some of the most flawless skin I've seen has been in Pakistan. It just depends.

But spice and hot food may have something to do with it. (South Asians and South East Asians eat spices a lot)

I heard it can cause you to produce more oils in your pores, which can lead to breakouts.

But this is also genetics, because not everyone with oily skin breakouts.

None the less, interesting topic. cool.png

so south east asians have more acne that those in the west due to genetics alone?

would diet / lack of access to medi / lack of affordability of good products / etc be any factor at all?

i see these people in the street eating fried this and that... and so many of these people have a range from a few noticeable blemishes to very severe bumpy acne. honestly if i'd had eaten that stuff in my late teens / early 20's i'd have broken out 2 or 3 times heavier than if i had not, same as if i were to eat KFC for example... it would just cause an absolute nuklear assult on my face. and perhaps it does to them too, but they just don't care / don't know?

....or all in my head? lol

although i guess you're saying, that fact i would have broken out at all, regardless of severity in relation to what i just ate is due to my personal genetics ?

I just see more in SEA than i do in europe with 'bad' skin

i hope this doesnt sound like i'm bashing anyone in asia ! because actually it doesn't bother me. my girl (sometimes gf, sometimes ex-gf, changes with the wind) is thai-chinese and used to have 'terrible' skin, and still does suffer from pretty bad backcne the poor little thing. although tain did curb the effects she still gets it from time to time now. but regardless shes still the hottest girl in the world IMO skin or no skin cool.png

Edited by Grind

Not all Mediterranean countries are dry and hot. Turkey is dreadfully humid, at least when I was there. I'm European Mediterranean ethnically, and have acne and know plenty of others with it. It's genetic and lifestyle/diet IMO

Oh and when I and others have gone back to the old country, our skin tends to clear up. It's when we are in America that we, those who are prone to acne inn the first place, tend to break out. This leads me to believe it's diet. Not necessarily what is eaten, but what's not in the food. It's purer and fresher, the amount of preservatives/additives goes way down

Edited by NessaVenasaur

It's vat they're eating.

Not all Mediterranean countries are dry and hot. Turkey is dreadfully humid, at least when I was there.

turkey and other med countries will be humid only for 3 months during the summer, and that is only if the location is within x-amount of miles by the sea. so i imagine your experience was being on vacation in turkey, hence being by the sea, and being there in the summer. right now the country is under snow.. not so humid. its dry at all other times of the year and always dry in locations not near the sea (desert and mountainous areas, for example).

I'm European Mediterranean ethnically, and have acne and know plenty of others with it. It's genetic and lifestyle/diet IMO

Oh and when I and others have gone back to the old country, our skin tends to clear up. It's when we are in America that we, those who are prone to acne inn the first place, tend to break out. This leads me to believe it's diet. Not necessarily what is eaten, but what's not in the food. It's purer and fresher, the amount of preservatives/additives goes way down

so you agree then, that your acne is less in the Mediterranean 'home country' locations.

your acne is worse in the USA - understood. when i had acne mine was too whenever i visited the US for more than a week. but that was probably due to being on vacation and eating less healthier options most of the time

i would be curious if you ate the local foods of SEAsia / china if your acne would be even worse than the US.

i'd bet money on it being worse

Not all Mediterranean countries are dry and hot. Turkey is dreadfully humid, at least when I was there.

turkey and other med countries will be humid only for 3 months during the summer, and that is only if the location is within x-amount of miles by the sea. so i imagine your experience was being on vacation in turkey, hence being by the sea, and being there in the summer. right now the country is under snow.. not so humid. its dry at all other times of the year and always dry in locations not near the sea (desert and mountainous areas, for example).

I'm European Mediterranean ethnically, and have acne and know plenty of others with it. It's genetic and lifestyle/diet IMO

so you agree then, that your acne is less in the Mediterranean 'home country' locations.

your acne is worse in the USA - understood. when i had acne mine was too whenever i visited the US for more than a week. but that was probably due to being on vacation and eating less healthier options most of the time

i would be curious if you ate the local foods of SEAsia / china if your acne would be even worse than the US.

i'd bet money on it being worse

If the weather is like that, I can't say where I live in America is much different haha. It can get very humid in summer and very dry in winter. Anyway, yeah I think food is a potential trigger, given that one is genetically predisposed to acne. There's people who eat whatever they want and have great skin. It could be the fried food - maybe it's also the pollution? When I was in Beijing, I think I saw the sun and blue skies like.... 3 times in 2.5 weeks? Otherwise, it looked smoggy and dull. Food being contaminated or the use of additives and preservatives could be prevalent there, too (as I believe it is here). Not sure :shrug:

Anyway, yeah I think food is a potential trigger, given that one is genetically predisposed to acne. There's people who eat whatever they want and have great skin. It could be the fried food - maybe it's also the pollution?

you're probably right. the pollution where I am in Java is terrible. and they often eat on the road side, so the food is polluted, dirty and all deep fried as you say. using very old oil no doubt too

in When I was in Beijing, I think I saw the sun and blue skies like.... 3 times in 2.5 weeks? Otherwise, it looked smoggy and dull. Food being contaminated or the use of additives and preservatives could be prevalent there, too (as I believe it is here). Not sure shrug.gif

ah yes i experienced the same. bangkok is like that often as well. and all the same additives and MSGs added too

yes I believe climate affects the skin. Also diet.

Look at Japanese people, or Korean people. They have great skin and great diets.

I've traveled extensively in SE.Asia as well (with much of my time in Thailand) and agree with Grind that acne does effect people in Asia in a similar manner to people in the West. I don't think it's necessarily diet related though and really I just concur with softly softly that the problem is genetics. For example, I met one French guy in Bangkok who was so terrified of eating street food or anything remotely resembling local cuisine that all he ate was pizzas and mcdonalds. I couldn't understand why he had flown halfway round the world to simply eat junk food, but anyway, his skin was flawless and I was constantly trying to hide my jealously that he could binge all day on beer and burgers and still look ok lol.

Edited by ledzep

what about the climate? middle east / med hot but dry? lots of sun for sure most of the year if not all. south east asia is humid and sweaty - and asians never go outside if they can avoid it (due to their condition to be as white as possible)

what are your thoughts? because i'm looking at the people in indonesia and i'm seeing on the whole, much worse skin on average than say in europe or the middle east / central asia etc

i agree with the genes/diet theory, but when i visited the philippines no one had acne. That was a longass time ago, though, so all i can say is i remember being jealous of everyone's flawless skin.

LOL @ the need to be white. yeah, that's super strange, but it's quite true about filipinos, or at least, the older generations. they are obsessed with staying white, and not having a round face. lol funny stuff.

For people to say acne doesn't affect Asia like it does the west is short sighted.

So on your travels you met every single person in these countries?

I'd like to see the research papers on these theories because at the moment all that is being presented here are circular arguments.