Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi everyone smile.png well im 17 years old, 18 on march and im from bolivia

I've been thinking about something but im not really sure, so I'd like to know your opinion:

I've found the cure to my acne, it is a healthy lifestyle (diet, exercise and sleep), i've been avoiding dairy, some grains, sugar and fast food, now im just waiting red marks to fade, which in my case takes some months. I went to another city with my friends for 2 days, ate some greasy food, drank alcohol, not slept too much, and right now my skin is oily, got two breakouts. To stay clear i cannot eat or drink something unhealthy even though i supplement with zinc, omega-3, psyllium and probiotics.

Im going to travel to sweden and netherlands on august (in 7 months). Also this year I begin college, and i want to eat a hamburger with friends every the other time, drink alcohol every the other weekend, go to parties, and enjoy a social life. In addition, in sweden i'll be eating different stuff and drinking alcohol for 3 months. My acne is mild if you see my log but it f*** bothers me. Anyways i want to take accutane. I've visited my derm, and the good thing hes an idiot, he wanted to gave me accutane when i had 5 pustules, hes totally in favor of it. In addition, i dont want severe side effects and dry skin, im thinking in a maxium of 40 mg/day.

As adolescense is a natural period of insulin resistance, i'll breakout if my blood sugar spikes, and that occurs easily, so i want to propone my derm, to take half of accutane dosage, because i read some studies which demostrate less dosage can control mild and moderate acne, show those studies to him and hope he agrees. I plan to take it for 4 months, so when i travel i can eat pizza, drink alcohol on weekends and sleep less. I want to enjoy this period of my life having an enjoyable social life.

what do you think? should i take accutane or not? thanks for your answers, i appreciate them smile.png

pd: im gonna stil having a healthy state, just want to eat popcorn with my friends and girlfriend, eat pizza and drink alcohol without breaking out, until i grow up my acne completly (in 4 years?)

Edited by Chestercool

100 bucks say that if you take accutane and eat unhealthy you will still get pimples after your course is done like people have reported. seems how you just said you KNOW for sure that your acne is from unhealthy lifestyle have a feeling it will stick with you for a while. i definately say no to accutane. ive seem so many peple stating acne comes back worse and so many people have terrible initial breakouts that will give you even more redmarks bro. i have seen way more non successful stories than successful. but the over all choice is yours.

100 bucks say that if you take accutane and eat unhealthy you will still get pimples after your course is done like people have reported. seems how you just said you KNOW for sure that your acne is from unhealthy lifestyle have a feeling it will stick with you for a while. i definately say no to accutane. ive seem so many peple stating acne comes back worse and so many people have terrible initial breakouts that will give you even more redmarks bro. i have seen way more non successful stories than successful. but the over all choice is yours.

hey, thanks for your answer.

Im not gonna have an unhealthy life, im going to eat clean most of days. I just wanna cheat on weekends without having to get worried the next day

bro think about people that are cured by accutane, i know their acne comes back after a period of time, thats the 50%, people that now dont have acne because they took accutane are not on these forums anymore. Also, most of them get acne again because they eat whatever , I doubt acne comes back because i'll be supplementing and gonna have an anti-inflammatory diet most of days. But you're right about the initial breakout =/

Edited by Chestercool

I completely understand your logic. For me it wasn't diet, but topicals that kept me clear, but travelling and having to do your regimen every morning and evening for almost an hour is really a pain and sometimes just not possible. That's the main reason i went on accutane and i really hope i'll stay clear after stopping.

My initial break out wasn't bad, but it still left me with a few shallow scars (i had no scars before accutane). So i'd take that into consideration.

I've been on Accutane 5 times before I found the cause of my acne = diet. If diet is a factor for you I can guarantee once you stop the Accutane the acne will come back. Might be right away, might be 6 months to a year but it will come back. I don't know many people who it has cleared completely. I understand what you are saying. I have also found I can keep my skin clear through diet but it is hard to maintain that when you want to go out and have fun.

How long have you been sticking to these dietary changes for? I know with many people that if you follow the diet for a period of time your body will heal itself so you can eat mostly whatever you want again. Because of the antibiotics you have taken you have to reestablish a good bacterial balance in your stomach with probiotics. I haven't reached that stage myself and I've been making dietary changes for the past three or so months.

Some people have horrible side effects from Accutane, some have very minor. No one can make that decision for you. In my opinion I would focus on the diet for the next 7 months and be very strict with it. Keep up the probiotics and other supplements as well. I bet in 7 months when it is time for your trip you can SLOWLY re-introduce foods that used to break you out one by one and have no problem. That's just my guess though because everyone's body different. It depends on if you have genuine food allergies, leaky gut or just need to improve your digestion.

u wanna take accutane, for mild acne and to be unhealthy?

its ur life, ur choice. However accutane is very expensive, so hopefully u have insurance.

The reason why they only recommend Accutane for severe acne is because Accutane is literally poison to the body. They have to check your liver because it's checking if it's not killing it. I would NOT risk your good health just for a few pimples. It's better to be healthy than to take Accutane and harm your body just because you're self-conscience of what other people think.

Continue eating healthy - that's your best route. Don't rely on big pharamacuetical companies to cure your acne. They only want your money.

I've been on Accutane 5 times before I found the cause of my acne = diet. If diet is a factor for you I can guarantee once you stop the Accutane the acne will come back. Might be right away, might be 6 months to a year but it will come back. I don't know many people who it has cleared completely. I understand what you are saying. I have also found I can keep my skin clear through diet but it is hard to maintain that when you want to go out and have fun.

How long have you been sticking to these dietary changes for? I know with many people that if you follow the diet for a period of time your body will heal itself so you can eat mostly whatever you want again. Because of the antibiotics you have taken you have to reestablish a good bacterial balance in your stomach with probiotics. I haven't reached that stage myself and I've been making dietary changes for the past three or so months.

Some people have horrible side effects from Accutane, some have very minor. No one can make that decision for you. In my opinion I would focus on the diet for the next 7 months and be very strict with it. Keep up the probiotics and other supplements as well. I bet in 7 months when it is time for your trip you can SLOWLY re-introduce foods that used to break you out one by one and have no problem. That's just my guess though because everyone's body different. It depends on if you have genuine food allergies, leaky gut or just need to improve your digestion.

thanks for your answers

I think my problem is insulin resistance, as you know its the reason adolescents have acne, and im one of them.

guys, I opened my eyes, i wont take it, i'll find a routine which works for me even if i break out. Acupuncture or a natural soap might work

Edited by Chestercool

I find it hilarious how many people think accutane is some sort of death sentence. It's just a pill- it can cause nasty side effects, but so can every medication out there, and the risk is so incredibly low.

I'm glad that you've found what you can do to control your breakouts, and it's always a good thing to eat as healthy as possible, but keep in mind that a diet has to be something that you can sustain long term, as in, if cutting certain foods out is making you miserable, then yes, it is a good idea to go on accutane or antibiotics.