Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icelight

BP Facial Cleanser?

I am wondering if using a 5% BP Facial Cleanser (Liquid) is good enough to substitute for the BP Cream/Gel? I have mild/moderate acne on my face only (forehead, cheeks and chin).

Also, would Baby unscented soap be good to wash my face with. I use "Jergen's Baby's Own" soap for my face and some other parts on my body (will be explained later in the post) so is it ok?

If I am using a BP Facial Cleanser ("Benzagel 5" is the name) should I still be washing my face with the soap twice a day as well, before I put on the BP?

Once I put on the BP, how long should I keep it on my face since it is a cleanser liquid and not a cream? The instructions were quite vague, and just said to "wash face with warm water by gently rubbing the cleanser in circles on affected areas".

Finally, I have a mild case of dry, sensitive skin, and have been using a 1% Hydrocortisone cream (perscription) for a while now on my face. Will this be irritating my acne? I know that if I go for a few days without putting the cream on my face, it gets very red, itchy and dry. This is also why I use the Baby's Own soap, I need to use it on my chest and face because normal soap irritates those two spots.

Thanks in advance!

imo the bp wash alone should be enough, no need to wash with the baby soap too. i have a friend that has a problem with excema is about 38-45 i'd guess (i don't want to ask) anyway, she never had relief of the excema till using babywash, the liquid kind. if the bp gel is too irritating if i were you i'd probably mix it with a little babywas (dilute it) so it won't irritate as much till your skin gets used to it. as for how long you should leave it on my dr recommends about 2 minutes to allow the medicines to work (i use an sa wash though), don't know if bp has a better time frame. also if that doesn't prove to be enough you could always up the dose later, but esp with your sensitive skin, i would start out slow and low.. good luck...

The thing is, I've been using it for a week already. Twice a day.

I haven't been putting much on though, and have been keeping it on my face for onlt a minute, max. I can't put too much on my face, or it just slides off because it is a liquid. You are supposed to experience mild stinging if it is doing it's job, no? I experience none of that. My face doesn't get red, dry (besides how dry it normally gets after being washed) or irritated either...

I will try putting a bit more than I usually do, and I will keep it on for 2 minutes.

you don't have to have stinging for it to work, are you seeing any improvement? my cleanser does not sting me. does it suds? i suds mine up and then let it sit on my face, or maybe try a bath and lie doewn so it won't slide off? as long as you are seeing results in your skin than what you are doing is cool. also even with mine it took prob 2 months before i really saw an improvement, so don't give up too soon. give it a chance to work. best of luck...

It doesn't really sud. It's just a whitish liquid cleanser that does not sud-up like normal soap.

When I rub it on my face it just gets put on top of the skin, no suds biggrin.gif

the important thing is that it works. give it some time, most docs recommend at least 2 months before you give up. botchlas regime might help you since you have those small bumps too. he uses a bp wash and an sa wash, the sa exfoliates the bp eliminates. they do work well together. tongue.gif if you gop that route a gentle version of each is probably needed with your sensitive skin. my skin is real sensitive too and i can't handle bp, maybe if the made a 1% but i've never seen one. it's too drying for me. lots of people can't live without it though, to each his/her own. blink.gif

The weird thing is, I have very sensitive skin, yet when I put the 5% BP on my face (and I leave the wash on for at least 3 minutes before I wash it off) it doesn't dry out any more than it usually does, nor does it get red. It does burn a bit, but that's to be expected, no?

So I guess I should look for a Salycylic Acid face wash then do:

SA Wash, wait a bit, BP Wash in the morning, and the same in the evening?

Oh, and thanks for all the help!