Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BrosephMG

Started Getting Oily At 22 - What?! Also, Rate My New Regimen Please?

I'm in law school and just before winter break my skin got so oily I can't even believe it (I have very, very mild acne - like 2 pimples/month). I reflect light like a mirror and all of a sudden have confidence problems. I was hoping it would go away by not over-washing my skin and drinking a TON of water (you would not believe how much I've been drinking - I'm actually worried about water intoxication), but it has not.

I have been told on more than one occasion that I looked greasy, have been asked if I'm too warm, even if it was raining out once! I don't even. I've been going through the Clean & Clear blotting pads like candy - four packs already in the last month and a half. Between every class I blot my face dry, but not even two hours later my face is so oily it makes a C&C pad completely clear when placed against my forehead. Really?!

I had been using Johnson & Johnson Gentle Cleansing Wash, spot treating BP as needed, and moisturizing (I've switched moisturizers three times before now - went from Cetaphil to Purpose [Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15] to CeraVe PM).

Now, I'm going to use J&J GCW, Murad Clarifying Toner, spot BP, Murad Mattyfying Moisturizer. Does this seem like it will work? Does anyone have any other tips? I'm at the point of desperation.

...I reflect light like a mirror and all of a sudden have confidence problems. I was hoping it would go away by not over-washing my skin and drinking a TON of water (you would not believe how much I've been drinking - I'm actually worried about water intoxication), but it has not.

How much (or how little) you wash your skin won't have any effect on how much sebum your skin produces. Neither do I know of any scientific reason why drinking a lot of water would have any effect on it.

There's one well-known drug (Accutane) which could reduce the amount of sebum you produce, but I don't personally recommend it just for that specific purpose; that's something you could try talking to a dermatologist about, and seeing if he has any interest at all in such an approach. Something else that _may_ be helpful to you is the topical application of antiandrogens and/or 5a-reductase inhibitors to control sebum, but that needs to be done under a clinical setting by serious medical researchers. One more thing you can try is a certain over-the-counter product which has several different ingredients in it (I can't remember the name of it at the moment) which a couple of people here have claimed is fairly good at reducing sebum. Maybe you can ask others here to give you the name of the stuff...

I'm in law school and just before winter break my skin got so oily I can't even believe it (I have very, very mild acne - like 2 pimples/month). I reflect light like a mirror and all of a sudden have confidence problems. I was hoping it would go away by not over-washing my skin and drinking a TON of water (you would not believe how much I've been drinking - I'm actually worried about water intoxication), but it has not.

I have been told on more than one occasion that I looked greasy, have been asked if I'm too warm, even if it was raining out once! I don't even. I've been going through the Clean & Clear blotting pads like candy - four packs already in the last month and a half. Between every class I blot my face dry, but not even two hours later my face is so oily it makes a C&C pad completely clear when placed against my forehead. Really?!

I had been using Johnson & Johnson Gentle Cleansing Wash, spot treating BP as needed, and moisturizing (I've switched moisturizers three times before now - went from Cetaphil to Purpose [Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15] to CeraVe PM).

Now, I'm going to use J&J GCW, Murad Clarifying Toner, spot BP, Murad Mattyfying Moisturizer. Does this seem like it will work? Does anyone have any other tips? I'm at the point of desperation.

Although there is no proof either way (for or against) the idea that cleansing or products have an affect on sebum, for the against side there is very few rather ancient medical literature (that isn't considered textbook medical fact) completed by a single dermatologist who may have had alterior motives for his "results" (like possibly wanting to sell off his patented Retin A to pharmaceutical companies), and you can view the reasons why these studies are likely irrelevant to the issue concerning yourself by looking at my prior thread, such as the absence of modern harmful exfoliating products with acids or chemicals the likes of benzyl peroxide we use today, the extremely small time periods and small amount of test subjects used, and the likely irrelevance of the test candidates used (absence of skin issues like acne, dehydrated skin, rosacea, irritated, extremely oily, etc.).

The non medical proof I have are, if you look within the site for yourself, and many other sites, are people who've had success with simply not cleansing, or using water only. The amount of time it's taken them to achieve they're results (in which they've showed much enthusiasm for) varies from a few month to possibly an entire year, depending on the state of their skin, and they have no reason to be dishonest about their results, nor do I believe people who have such an obsession over their facial issues would settle for any illusion of "normal skin". Their acne gone, pores no longer clogged entirely across the face, skin no longer an oil slick.

Not to mention in a reviews section for basically the majority of products out there (such as on a review website like "makeupalley"), there are at least a few people commenting in each of any product claiming it has either made them oilier, or has helped them (I usually see very rich highly regarded moisturizers and gentle cleansers have a couple positive comments on how it's helped their oil production, as opposed to increase it - and they aren't just talking about the shine a moisturizer might leave). I myself used to have clear skin until I got to college and began delving into products like "Proactive", which made my skin a complete irritated oil slick.

It's only now half as oily as it was about 4 months ago, when I simply stopped washing. I have recently added moisturizer (Avene Extreme Cream - a product with the least ingredients I've seen, the less, the better, and absolutely no irritants - I was trying Cerave, but found the cream too thick, and the lotion too watery/thin) twice daily, still without washing (only patting off any excess oil prior to applying more moisturizer, as you want your skin to have a layer protective you face throughout the day, so it can heal like a wound). In the beginning I went through numerous breakouts, leaving my face alone, but am now hardly getting pimples any more - it's slowly, but surely, getting better (you'd think a cream twice daily without washing would wreak bloody hell on your face, and it might in the beginning, but slowly you should see a turn around - it just might take several months, which is worth it than a lifetime of switching around regimens and popping pimples).

If you have any question, or if anyone does for that matter, then feel free to send me a message : )

Although there is no proof either way (for or against) the idea that cleansing or products have an affect on sebum, for the against side there is very few rather ancient medical literature (that isn't considered textbook medical fact) completed by a single dermatologist who may have had alterior motives for his "results" (like possibly wanting to sell off his patented Retin A to pharmaceutical companies)...

The original study that first thoroughly investigated (and refuted) the idea that washing has any effect on sebum production was done by TWO people (Kligman and Shelley) in 1958. A further study was done around 1981 by Kligman, McGinley, and Leyden on the effect of shampoos on scalp lipids and bacteria, and showed once again (again numerous other things) that shampooing has no effect on the release of sebum by the scalp. That's a total of FOUR separate people in two different studies which show such a finding, not just "a single dermatologist", like you claim. Furthermore, there's all the testing done at the cosmetics company where our own "LabGirl81" worked for a while back, and showed the same thing! There's also my own testing with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I did a few years ago, and showed the same thing!

Here's some material from "On the Mechanism of Sebaceous Secretion", Downing and Strauss, Arch Dermatol Res (1982) 272: 343-349. "Following the studies of Kligman, most investigators now believe that sebaceous glands function continuously in excreting sebum to the skin surface..." "It is apparent that major mysteries remain regarding both the biochemistry and the physiology of sebaceous gland function. Nevertheless, progress is being made, and in this we acknowlege the decisive contributions by Kligman, both in refuting unworthy theories and in disseminating the results of his own more logical deductions and investigations."

To hint or suggest that all this work by numerous doctors, scientists, and clinicians was really only done just by Kligman to sell Retin-A (which was released in 1971) is simply preposterous!!

Although there is no proof either way (for or against) the idea that cleansing or products have an affect on sebum, for the against side there is very few rather ancient medical literature (that isn't considered textbook medical fact) completed by a single dermatologist who may have had alterior motives for his "results" (like possibly wanting to sell off his patented Retin A to pharmaceutical companies)...

The original study that first thoroughly investigated (and refuted) the idea that washing has any effect on sebum production was done by TWO people (Kligman and Shelley) in 1958. A further study was done around 1981 by Kligman, McGinley, and Leyden on the effect of shampoos on scalp lipids and bacteria, and showed once again (again numerous other things) that shampooing has no effect on the release of sebum by the scalp. That's a total of FOUR separate people in two different studies which show such a finding, not just "a single dermatologist", like you claim. Furthermore, there's all the testing done at the cosmetics company where our own "LabGirl81" worked for a while back, and showed the same thing! There's also my own testing with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I did a few years ago, and showed the same thing!

Here's some material from "On the Mechanism of Sebaceous Secretion", Downing and Strauss, Arch Dermatol Res (1982) 272: 343-349. "Following the studies of Kligman, most investigators now believe that sebaceous glands function continuously in excreting sebum to the skin surface..." "It is apparent that major mysteries remain regarding both the biochemistry and the physiology of sebaceous gland function. Nevertheless, progress is being made, and in this we acknowlege the decisive contributions by Kligman, both in refuting unworthy theories and in disseminating the results of his own more logical deductions and investigations."

To hint or suggest that all this work by numerous doctors, scientists, and clinicians was really only done just by Kligman to sell Retin-A (which was released in 1971) is simply preposterous!!

I'm not going to bicker back and forth with you again, you have yet to address the other many reasons in this thread and the last in which I have stated why these studies aren't foolproof in relation to the issues and products we have current day, or the problems people on this forum face, completely ignoring the rest of my post, and focusing on a single point, nor can I find these "LabgGirl81" tests (though a cosmetic company's outcome could be as biased as they come), while your self test was merely 10 days - and the scalp test is not the face (while shampoo's affect on the scalp is also debatable).

And to ignore the many who've had success with water only, or nothing at all, and who have seen their face's condition decline with continuous product use is completely delusional, along with ignoring everyone on pretty much every review area of individual products, claiming they've seen a sure change in sebum atop their faces.

Perhaps it's not along the lines of having one's sebum halted completely, but rather this sebum absorbs much better in skin which is plump and moist, rather than thin/dehydrated and dry.

Any ways, I'm not doing this again... all I asked of you was to post your research in each thread you wish to reply to, and not try to come of as though you have the final answers written in stone. You're not starting a revolution of scientific research among a forum devoid of such, but rather you might simply just be turning off people from a potential to end their concerns.

Be positive : )

I'm not going to bicker back and forth with you again...

If you don't want to "bicker back and forth" with me, I strongly suggest that you pay a lot more attention to the things you say about Dr. Kligman and other doctors and scientists, and not make stuff up like you said in your previous post. If I see garbage like that again, it will probably draw yet another response from me!

...nor can I find these "LabgGirl81" tests (though a cosmetic company's outcome could be as biased as they come)...

Huh?? You seemed to indicate in another thread that you had seen the posts that "LabGirl81" had made about the experiments that her own company had done about sebum secretion (verifying Kligman's results). Are you denying that, now?

I'm not going to bicker back and forth with you again...

If you don't want to "bicker back and forth" with me, I strongly suggest that you pay a lot more attention to the things you say about Dr. Kligman and other doctors and scientists, and not make stuff up like you said in your previous post. If I see garbage like that again, it will probably draw yet another response from me!

...nor can I find these "LabgGirl81" tests (though a cosmetic company's outcome could be as biased as they come)...

Huh?? You seemed to indicate in another thread that you had seen the posts that "LabGirl81" had made about the experiments that her own company had done about sebum secretion (verifying Kligman's results). Are you denying that, now?

I wish you well.

Hope you find whatever it is that you're searching for within the forums : )

Peace.

(again, if anyone needs any help concerning letting products go, feel free to message me)

Edited by awakeodin

I wish you well.

Hope you find whatever it is that you're searching for within the forums : )

I'm not searching for anything. Other people are.

I rarely check these forums, but every time I do I see this bryan guy saying the same thing, washing doesnt affect oil production. *Moderator edit* Overwashing your skill will cause excess oil, period.

I caused my skin to become oily by overwashing, and further prolonged the oilyness by overwashing. I realized this when I stoped washing my skin as much, guess what, the oil went down tremendously. Not trying to plug products but all I used was creave, no topicals, nothing. I did not blot my face and I avoided mirrors at all cost. Now today my oil is completely gone.

I rarely check these forums, but every time I do I see this bryan guy saying the same thing, washing doesnt affect oil production. *Moderator edit* Overwashing your skill will cause excess oil, period.

Do a test on your own skin scientifically, and then scan and post the results for everyone to see (as I've done a couple of times, myself). *Moderator edit*

I caused my skin to become oily by overwashing, and further prolonged the oilyness by overwashing. I realized this when I stoped washing my skin as much, guess what, the oil went down tremendously. Not trying to plug products but all I used was creave, no topicals, nothing. I did not blot my face and I avoided mirrors at all cost. Now today my oil is completely gone.

I don't believe you. Do the test yourself, *Moderator edit*, and post the results for everyone to see.

Ok bryan prepare to be testimonialized against.

I can definitely say that for me washing my face less frequently with soap/facewash has caused a dramatic decrease in sebum production. Whenever I wash my face with face wash my face will become shiny and really really greasy after a couple of hours, like little droplets forming inside pores and forming hard plugs. Last month I've tried not washing as frequently (from daily washing to once or twice a week). The same schedule holds for shampooing, from daily or every other to once/twice a week. I notice my skin is a lot softer and feels more hydrated. I don't feel greasy at the end of the day, only on days when I do wash with soap/face wash. I don't know if it's due to the moisturizer or not washing but if I don't moisturize after washing my face it gets too dry and flaky.

However, I did this for one month only, so I need to stick with it for a while longer. But if it continues like this I can definitely say that externally applied (OTC) products can influence the amount of sebum the skin produces in some people, including me.

I can definitely say that for me washing my face less frequently with soap/facewash has caused a dramatic decrease in sebum production. Whenever I wash my face with face wash my face will become shiny and really really greasy after a couple of hours, like little droplets forming inside pores and forming hard plugs.

I'll say the same thing to YOU that I say to anybody else who makes such a bizarre and unusual claim: test your skin scientifically with Sebutape Skin Indicators, and post the results here for all of us to see. I've done that myself on two different occasions, so why can't YOU do the same thing?