How I Cured My Acne...

Notifications
Clear all

How I Cured My Acne (W/o Medication Or Drugs)

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 01/25/2012 1:53 pm

Hello people, I had moderate-severe acne for 5 years. I am making this post because I want to share the knowledge I attained and maybe hopefully help some people.

This is a long post, but I'm sure people who are suffering from acne who are seeking information will give it a read. I know I wish I knew this information when I was younger.

Things I tried

I have tried so many OTC products. From ProActiv to several other Acne creams I can't even remember... Of course, none of them worked. I also tried several antibiotics and prescription creams like Differin - Did not work either. I came to the conclusion that taking anti-biotic's, or slathering chemicals on my face wasn't going to work (or at least be the only solution).

Investigation

I was so frustrated that finally common sense slapped me in the face. I thought to myself, "Why are these pimples forming?" I know I had good skin hygiene. I wash my face 2-3 time daily - It obviously wasn't that. I realized it had to be diet. There's no other explanation.

So I started researching nutrition. I then found out what really causes acne. And there isn't just one type of acne - There's seven different types of acne.

Androgenic Acne (Male hormone acne, most common)(Women can get it too)

Adrenal Acne

Digestive Acne

Premenstrual conditions

Menopausal Acne

Thyroid Acne

Liver Acne

I'll explain in more detail about each one in the future, but I'll outline what the root cause for all of them are. [some are harder to treat than others (e.g. Liver acne).]

Acne has to be tackled in two ways: Internally (the most important aspect which is what this post is all about) and topically.

Nutrients such as micro nutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals) as well as macro nutrients (fats, protein, carbs) are essential for our bodies to function properly. Our human bodies are composed of ~50 trillion cells (10,000 cells can fit on the head of a needle). And each one of these intricate, miraculous, tiny cells needs these nutrients constantly . The way these cells obtain these nutrients is through the food we eat. It's kind of hard to imagine this, but we humans aren't even conscience of this whole incredible process of how cells function. Each individual cell is like a city: it has government, divine geographical limits, waste treatment plants, power plants, postal office, police force (of course that's an oversimplification, but you get the point). One little cell is more complex than the strongest microchip in the world. Every cell in the human body needs about 90 vitamins + minerals to function optimally.

Problems start to occur when these cells aren't getting the nutrients they need. Is it surprising that people are so sick with the SAD (Standard American Diet)? People are starving their bodies of the nutrition it needs. Just think about it: What do a lot of people eat for the start of the day, and what nutrients are they getting -

Cereal is one of the most popular breakfast meals:

contains very little nutrients (in fact they have to manually add them in - and even then, laughably miniscule) and the processed grains are high in empty carbs which will spike your insulin. The pasteurized dead milk people add contains a few vitamins/minerals and protein.

With that meal, you're virtually starving your body of all the other nutrients it needs. And to add to that, it has to work overtime to process the high-carb, empty calorie's from the cereal and detox the milk. Doing this kind of diet for several years and for even decades, diseases and infections will certainly manifest. Pretty much all diseases are from cell death, e.g. if you have dieing cells in the heart; it's called heart disease; Dieing cells in the bones; it's called arthritis. Nearly all disease's are preventable through proper nutrition.

Just so you get a clearer picture:

SAD Nutrients in avg breakfast: B2, B6, B12, Thiamin, Niacin, Vit A, Vit D

What you should be getting: Gallium, Germanium, Hafnium, Holmium, Neodymium, Praseodymium, Rhenium, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Silica, Silver, Hydrogen, Lanthanum, Lithium, Lutetium, Molybdenum, Iodine, Strontium, Tantalum, Terbium, Thulium, Tin, Titanium, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zirconium, Niobium, Boron, Bromine, Carbon, Nickel, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B3 (Niacin), VitaminB5 (Pantothenic Acid), VitaminB6 (Pyridoxine), Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin), Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Choline, Flavonoids and Bioflavonoids, Folic Acid, Inositol, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Biotin, Valine, Lysine, Threonine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Tryptophan, Phenylalanine, Methionine, Histidine, Arginine, Taurine, Tyrosine, Omega 3 (EPA, DHA, ALA), Omega 6, Omega 9

What we should be consuming is REAL WHOLE FOODS! That means vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, chicken, fish - You get the idea. The most important is eating plants, lots of them! And it's not just for the vitamins and minerals but for the more new discovered "phytonutrients." Anything that comes in a box, you need to be weary of. Anything that has a mascot, you need to avoid!

Now, it's important to understand how the plants you eat attains its nutrients:

"Most of the produce you buy in a grocery store does not have anything close to the mineral profile it is supposed to have according to nutritional textbooks. This is because minerals are not manufactured by plants, whereas vitamins and phytonutrients are. When plants create such nutrients, they synthesize them through chemical and energetic processes that can only be called miraculous. But as capable as they are, plants do not create minerals. Minerals have to be absorbed through the soil, and if they are not present in the soil, then the plant's roots cannot take them up, and therefore they will not be present in the plant.

The nutritional and mineral profile of the plant ultimately depends on the mineral content of the soil. Since soils today are so over-farmed and depleted of all but a few basic minerals, most of our produce lacks the minerals they should contain. For example, a lot of plants absorb selenium when selenium is present in the soil. But when selenium is not present in the soil, of course it's not available to the plant. The plant gets grown and taken to the store and sold and consumed anyway, even though it doesn't have the levels of selenium that it should contain according to traditional textbooks." - naturalnews.com

So this creates a dilemma for us: mass produced agriculture foods don't contain the vitamins and minerals they're supposed to have that humans need. And a whole other issue is the fluoridated water and dangerous/poisonous pesticides they use. Now, the simple way to resolve this would be to grow your own food - Organic vegetables is the way to go. Or if you're lucky, you have access to locally grown organic food. Unfortunately, many of us don't have access to organic food. However, there is a way to remedy that problem and that is through supplementation, which I'll talk about in a bit.

So far, what I hope you got out of this is acne is not a skin issue, it's a internal issue. You could slather all the chemicals in the world on your face, but you will never *cure* your acne. Sure, you could hide the symptoms temporarily - But is that how you want to approach a disease? Would you want to hide the "check engine light" in a car by simply putting masking tape over it? Obviously not because the car will break down in the future. Essentially that's what acne is, a "check engine light" if you will: a warning that your body is breaking down. Acne is almost a good thing, because it is a very minor disease compared to the other major debilitating diseases that can/will follow if not treated properly.

The good news is our bodies are miraculous. When you get a cut, the body automatically knows what to do and heals that wound. The same is true for your entire body. The body is capable of healing itself. Once you feed the body the nutrients it needs, you will go from break down mode, to build up mode. The body is constantly breaking down, and building up. You want to be in the net positive of that scale. If you're suffering from any disease, you're in net break-down. If you're healthy and strong, you're in net build-up.

Now this brings me to supplementation. Being alive in the 21st century has its many down falls: Poisoned water, poisoned air, poisoned food.. just to name a few. But, we do have a few upsides: vitamin and mineral extraction. Since we aren't getting them in the food we eat, we have to get them somehow and supplementation gives us that opportunity. A lot of people already know to take their "daily" multivitamin. It's important to note however that 1 multivitamin is really like a drop of water in a bucket - nutritionally speaking. It's very beneficial if you're taking one, but the body needs to utilize vitamins/minerals throughout the day. With one multivitamin you get a spike of vitamins/minerals; the body, however, prefers a low steady amount.You pee out the water soluble vitamins (such as the B vitamins and vitamin C) which need to be replenished. This is why we unfortunately have to supplement in today's world - "supplement" meaning to supplement what you're already eating.

A side note about the current medical model... If doctors and dermatologists really cared about you, they would ask you about your diet and life style. They are very quick at prescribing you a drug that will only make the problem much worse down the road. Drugs only mask the symptom. For example, if you go to the doctor's office for back pain, is he going to help you *cure* your back pain? Most likely not. You're just going to leave the building with a prescription in your hand for pain medication. Doctors and dermatologists are salesmen for the pharmaceutical company's. If you read into the history of the pharmaceutical industry, you will understand how they took control of the current medical system. They fund nearly all of the medical schools and these "doctors" are then only taught how to administer drugs, and not heal the body. It's a very evil conspiracy that causes hundreds of thousands of deaths yearly, where most of them can be prevented. I want to add that most doctors are well meaning, but unfortunately they are victims of propaganda. I AVOID the doctors office. I know that if I walk in there, I will walk out with a prescription that will harm me.

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease." - Thomas A. Edison

The ideal way of supplementing your vitamins/minerals is through liquid fashion. The body assimilates the nutrients much more readily. Powder multivitamin/mineral that you mix in liquid is the optimal form. The key is to drink in small doses throughout the day. This is how the body likes it the best; slow and steady all day (almost like a IV drip). Does this make sense to you? That each cell in our body continually need these micro/macro nutrients?

So now you know how important vitamins and minerals are. Next you need to know how important fats are. Yes, fats are very important; specifically the EFA's omega 3's and omega 6's. We know that cells needs vitamins and minerals to function; cells also need fats. EFA's act as a structural component of all the cell membranes and are vital for thousands of chemical reactions in our bodies.The reason they're called EFA's (Essential Fatty Acid's) is because we need them in our diet. Essential in the world of nutrition means it needs to be consumed: the body can't produce it on its own. Most people these days are deficient in EFA's: specifically Omega 3's. One way to know if you're deficient is if you have dry skin. EFA's is what hydrates the skin. No one should have dry skin! Which also leads me to say that moisturizers are a hoax; a scam. The skin moisturizing business is a huge business in and of itself. Ever wonder why you apply moisturizer constantly, yet you still have dry skin? It's because moisturizers only mask's the symptom! Sure you feel better temporarily because you coated your skin in oil/wax/whatever, but you will still have dry skin! No hocus pocus, potion lotion will solve an internal issue. EFA's are very important for your health: they play a significant role in our body's function.

If you're already supplementing with EFA's, you're ahead of the game. You should be making sure you're getting plenty of EFA's in your diet. The best way to get EFA's is from flaxseed oil. Flaxseed has the perfect amount of Omega 3's and 6's. I recommend Flaxseed oil in liquid bottles, or in gel capsules. A sufficient amount is 6-9 tablespoons; or 9-12 capsules. The amount needed depends on you - everyone is different. Experiment with different doses and see how you feel.

Last, but not least - Probiotics. Our guts have millions of different bacteria inside. Good bacteria and bad bacteria. Ideally, you want a healthy amount of the good bacteria in your gut so they can fight off the bad bacteria. The good bacteria is like your own little army, protecting your fortress. These good bacteria not only protect you from bad bacteria, but they also synthesize vitamins your body needs. Most people don't have proper flora ecology in their system. When bad bacteria takes control of your gut, huge implications occur such as yeast overgrowth, leaky gut syndrome, etc. It's extremely important to have a healthy digestive system. Healthy food such as vegetables and fruits promote healthy good bacteria, while junk food (high sugar, highly processed food) promotes bad bacteria (they love sugar).

I recommend to take a high quality pro-biotic. Don't skimp on quality. 80-100 billion units daily is a good place to be to re-balance your flora ecology. If you've taken antibiotics, this step is even more crucial for you. Being on antibiotics wipes out all of the bacteria in your gut: the good and the bad. For some, it can take months or even years to re-balance the flora ecology.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I hope you have a little bit of a better understanding of health. Now I'll recommend the brand I use.

The multimineral/vitamin I use is called Beyond Tangy Tangerine 2.0. From my research, it's the best quality complete multi vitamin/mineral you can get out there, and for a great price. It's in powder form and has a ORAC value (antioxidant rating) of over 8000; whereas, most other brands are below 1000. It's also all naturally derived, non-gmo, organic, from 120 fruits and vegetables with no preservatives or fillers and has probiotics! Can be found here: http://www.infowarsteam.com/BeHealthy

I highly recommend "The Alex Pack 2.0" It has the full spectrum Vitamin/Mineral supplement and EFA's.

Here's a list of the especially essential ones for acne sufferers:

90 vitamins/minerals

80-100 billion units probiotics; multiple strains

50 mg zinc picolinate

20,000 IU vitamin a

3-5 grams vitamin c (throughout the day)

200 - 500mg NAC

9-12 EFA capsules

digestive enzymes with lipase

.5-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So that's for supplementation, now let's get to the basics of a healthy diet. If you want to get clear, you have to eat healthy too. Eating healthy and supplementing work hand-in-hand, synergistically. You can't just supplement and eat junk food and expect clear skin (but if you are eating junk food, supplementing is even more vital). With that said:

Food I Consume/Avoid

Avoid:

Grains such as: white rice, oatmeal, bread, cereal, pasta, etc

Obvious things to avoid are drinks in high calories, such as sugary juices and sodas

Dangerous oils. Canola oil, soybean oil, vegetable oil are all highly refined oils that are bad for you. (Goods oils are Extra virgin olive oil and Coconut oil)

Starchy foods are also problematic like white potatoes and peas. (starch gets converted into sugar)

Avoid synthetically manufactured chemicals such as aspartame, MSG, and fluroide

Avoid Fast food places such as: McDisease's, Taco Hell, Kentucky Fried Cancer, etc...

What to consume: Vegetables, Vegetables, Vegetables! Ideally you should be eating veggies for breakfast, lunch. and dinner. Added with that is good sources of protein. Chicken, Fish, and Eggs, are all good sources of protein. (Once in a while I'll eat red meat).

Bone soup has incredible medicinal properties (google it to learn how to make it)

Salads are great

Organic *grass fed* butter is healthy

Cultured Vegetables is a really good way to get pre/probiotics. (google it to learn how to make it)

Nuts/seeds - Very good source of protein/ fats

Legumes - Good source of protein

Protein is very important. Most people are under proteinated. You should be getting at least .5 - 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (depending on your amount of physical activity). What everybody should be doing is taking protein powders. The best source of protein powder is 100% Whey protein (If you're one of the few that can't tolerate Whey protein, there are alternatives such as Hemp protein, Egg protein, etc). And if you're a guy and lifting weights like me, you should get 2-3 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Also, the cool part with being amply proteinated, your sugar cravings will diminish. When you crave sugar, it's because your brain is telling you you don't have enough protein. Whey protein can be considered a miracle source of protein. One of the highest quality sources of protein is considered to be eggs. In fact, the biological value of all protein is rated against eggs, eggs being considered the top score of 100; cow milk 91; beef 80; soy 74. Whey protein has an amazing score of 104! Whey Protein boosts your immune system and has the full spectrum of amino acids crucial for all cell function. Careful with the brand of Whey Protein you get though. Many are over-processed and contain many artificial ingredients that aren't good for you.

Whey Protein also is a excellent source of glutamine. Many acne sufferers have digestive track issues. Glutamine repairs the digestive lining. Whey Protein can be especially beneficial for people who have leaky gut syndrome. It bypasses digestion because it's liquid and goes straight to work nourishing your body.

I recommend "One World Whey." It's the best quality Whey Protein I can find. It's grass-fed, free range, and unpasteurized. Can be found here: http://www.sgn80.com/one-world-whey

A tip is to hack into your brain wiring. If you're craving any sort of grains/sugar, treat it as protein deficiency. If you're craving greasy fat foods, get your EFA's. In short:

Craving Grains/Sugar - Drink Protein

Craving Fatty foods - Get your EFA's

You'll find that if you drink a protein shake with some flaxseed oil and coconut oil, any cravings disappear almost immediately.

Now that you understand a good diet and supplementation, I'll add that I recommend to cleanse your face twice a day: in the morning and the evening with salycilic acid. Also applying benzyl peroxide (Dan's product is good) or salycilic acid toner can help speed up the healing process.

Also EVERYONE with acne should use Retinoic Acid (vitamin A). Retin-A is the best thing you can apply topically that will dramatically speed up the healing process. Retinyl Palmitate can also be used, but it's not as effective as retin a since retinyl palmitate gets converted into retinoic acid.

Conclusion

So I have been clear for over a year now. I used to have moderate-severe acne and now my skin is as smooth as it was when I was 13 years old. I still have a few red blemishes from my old acne that's healing (gone now). But when I run my hand through my skin, I'm still amazed at how soft and smooth it is after all these years from having acne. I even feel great and healthy now. I know this may be a dramatic life style change for some people, but this is what it took for me to finally get rid of the awful skin disease known as acne. I wish you guys the best of luck. smile.png

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edit

I should also add a few more things that will help contribute to clearing your acne.

Exercise is very important. It helps moves your blood around and oxygenate your body. It also helps move around all the nutrients throughout your body. A little as 15 minutes of a hard work out, stressing out your body is all you need to maintain good health. Deep breathing is also important. At least for 1 minute(or longer! There's some neat apps on the iPhone) a day do deep inhaling and powerful exhaling: 7 seconds inhale, 7 seconds exhale. When inhaling breath with your stomach, pushing it out: When exhaling breath with your stomach going in. You will feel better doing this; it helps your adrenal glands. A clear state of mind without stress is vital too. Meditating, deep breathing, or yoga can all help achieve that.

When you wake up, do 1-2 minutes of jumping jacks to get the lymph system circulating. After sleeping for several hours, it gets sluggish. You'll also feel more energized. You can also get one of those mini trampolines called a "rebounder."

At least 8 glasses of water a day. It cleanses and detoxifies your body. Men should drink 3 liters(13 cups); Woman 2.2 liters(9 cups) for the best results. I have a 1 gallon jug so it's easy to know where I'm at.

Also, some people may have troubles absorbing the vitamins and EFA's (this is common, especially among older folks). I suggest everyone take digestive enzymes. Enzymes will help the body digest the food as well as absorb more of the nutrients. Best to take enzymes with or before a meal and swigging some apple cider vinegar will activate the enzymes.

This whole regimen is not only about curing your acne, but your overall health too. Once you give the body what's it's supposed to be getting, you're really going to feel the difference of how a HEALTHY body should be. You'll find that you have a clearer mind, more energy, most diseases will be cured, and you will rarely get sick.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 01/25/2012 3:50 pm

Thank you for sharing your success!! I am very happy to hear that you've been clear two months, and that this diet is working for you. The Paleo diet also is geared heavily against wheat/grains. Another thread on the boards here talks about using cinnamon capsules to help with the insulin spike. It would be great if a supplement could work to negate this spike, so that a more modified diet could result in the same success.

MemberMember
(@liz90210)

Posted : 01/27/2012 3:06 pm

Hi Over:

I am over 40 (boy that sounds old:) and have been dealing with acne my whole life. I finally got so fed up with it all I too went on the same quest you did. I was convinced it was diet related. I cut way back on dairy and sugar, this didn't do much. I eat a pretty healthy diet anyway, little to no processed food. I started taking supplements (A, E, zinc, Bromelain (pineapple extract), and D) I am still taking those supplements. The real change for me came when I cut out gluten! It was as if my skin transformed right away! I didn't even get blackheads. I still eat corn, rice, and potato.....no wheat, rye, or barley. I even eat gluten free chocolate....something I haven't touched in years! There are tons of gluten free products out there. Again, I am on a mainly whole foods diet....I eat a lot of spinach salad.....But I do have gluten free cereal or waffles every day so it's not too hard. This may not work for everyone, but it did work for me. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@zazaszai)

Posted : 02/03/2012 1:22 pm

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your success story. Its very impressive to hear that you can clear your skin for 2 months. When I was 18 years old, I managed to clear up my skin from acne for 3 months only. My skincare regime at that time was only Sebamed Cleansing Bar, Sebamed Foaming Cleanser for teenager and Clindamycin topical. I didn't change my diet and lifestyle too at that time. But now, my skin recovery speed not as fast as before. Sigh.

I am 24 years old and I'm skin is suffering with adult acne for a year and my skin haven't cleared yet until today. I think the only reason my skin starting to breakout again is because of lifestyle changing because last year I tend to burn the midnight oil to finish my assignment. I also stayed up late at night sometime to chat with my friends online.

Starting at the beginning of the year of 2011, I've changed my skincare regime, diet and lifestyle. No late nights, less sugar, less sodium, no processed food, less fast food, consistent skincare regime, workout more and drink plain water sufficiently. I also went for facial treatment too every two weeks (treatment designated for acne prone skin, sensitive skin and dry skin. all of these treatments were performed alternately according to my skin condition). My skin improve a lot after that. Less congested skin, less big pimples and less bumps but it took quite some time for my skin to heal. Right now, my skin still have red acne marks and very tiny bump. I do still have few pimples come out occasionally especially when the-time-of-the-month is coming.

I did consumed several GNC supplements to help with my acne problem before but then it doesn't really helpful. So, I stopped taking it. I don't take antibiotic nor birth control pills to reduce my acne because both of these pretty scary to me. =S

I consumed more veges, fruits and good source of protein such as chicken meat, fish, eggs and sometime beef. I do consume grains too such as rice, oatmeal and cereals.

I think one of the reason my skin haven't recover fully is because of the insulin spiking foods. I would never know about it if you didn't mentioned it here. Thank you a lot! Since rice is a staple food for an Asian like me, I will reduce my rice intake instead. =) Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@limpbizkitfan)

Posted : 02/05/2012 9:37 am

I'm gonna try this.....

when I get money....

MemberMember
(@ramc)

Posted : 02/05/2012 2:23 pm

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your success story. Its very impressive to hear that you can clear your skin for 2 months. When I was 18 years old, I managed to clear up my skin from acne for 3 months only. My skincare regime at that time was only Sebamed Cleansing Bar, Sebamed Foaming Cleanser for teenager and Clindamycin topical. I didn't change my diet and lifestyle too at that time. But now, my skin recovery speed not as fast as before. Sigh.

I am 24 years old and I'm skin is suffering with adult acne for a year and my skin haven't cleared yet until today. I think the only reason my skin starting to breakout again is because of lifestyle changing because last year I tend to burn the midnight oil to finish my assignment. I also stayed up late at night sometime to chat with my friends online.

Starting at the beginning of the year of 2011, I've changed my skincare regime, diet and lifestyle. No late nights, less sugar, less sodium, no processed food, less fast food, consistent skincare regime, workout more and drink plain water sufficiently. I also went for facial treatment too every two weeks (treatment designated for acne ........................

I think one of the reason my skin haven't recover fully is because of the insulin spiking foods. I would never know about it if you didn't mentioned it here. Thank you a lot! Since rice is a staple food for an Asian like me, I will reduce my rice intake instead. =) Thanks again!

same here....another asian indian here and avoiding rice leaves hardly any options...

i ve got into researching mode as well :P and one thing that am very sure... atleast in my case is that ...SLEEEP...no late nights...

reallly try to get atleast 6.5 to 7 hours each day...and not to stress myself at work too much... this really works....i used to get 4-5 hrs each day earlier and i can clearly see why no treatment worked for me...

and @overfl00d

what exaclty did you eat...as in which vegetables?anything in specific...obviously lots of spinach right?

MemberMember
(@zazaszai)

Posted : 02/05/2012 9:50 pm

same here....another asian indian here and avoiding rice leaves hardly any options...

i ve got into researching mode as well tongue.png and one thing that am very sure... atleast in my case is that ...SLEEEP...no late nights...

reallly try to get atleast 6.5 to 7 hours each day...and not to stress myself at work too much... this really works....i used to get 4-5 hrs each day earlier and i can clearly see why no treatment worked for me...

and @overfl00d

what exaclty did you eat...as in which vegetables?anything in specific...obviously lots of spinach right?

Yea, its quite hard for us to eliminate rice completely from our diet. The only thing we can do is to reduce its portion for now. I'm Asian from Malaysia by the way. =)

What I meant by no late nights was no more stay up because my problem is sleeping too. I tend to stay up thus I lack of sleep almost everyday before adult acne attacking me. Its very frustrating when acne suddenly attacking us when we get older. Sigh. But, another thing that contribute to acne other than diet is lifestyle.

I read another article pertaining with diet for acne prone skin yesterday. It mentioned that refined sugar and refined carbs such as white rice, white flour, pasta etc are insulin spiking food that could contribute to acne. "Refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne". Brown rice is not a refined carbs as for as I know. Thus, its a great substitute for white rice although it doesn't taste as nice. I've replacing white rice to brown rice since early last year and can say it does help reducing my acne. It reduce my weight too. Hehe!

MemberMember
(@ramc)

Posted : 02/06/2012 9:33 am

hmmm yeah brown rice..!!! :((

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/06/2012 7:35 pm

Hi Over:

I am over 40 (boy that sounds old:) and have been dealing with acne my whole life. I finally got so fed up with it all I too went on the same quest you did. I was convinced it was diet related. I cut way back on dairy and sugar, this didn't do much. I eat a pretty healthy diet anyway, little to no processed food. I started taking supplements (A, E, zinc, Bromelain (pineapple extract), and D) I am still taking those supplements. The real change for me came when I cut out gluten! It was as if my skin transformed right away! I didn't even get blackheads. I still eat corn, rice, and potato.....no wheat, rye, or barley. I even eat gluten free chocolate....something I haven't touched in years! There are tons of gluten free products out there. Again, I am on a mainly whole foods diet....I eat a lot of spinach salad.....But I do have gluten free cereal or waffles every day so it's not too hard. This may not work for everyone, but it did work for me. Hope this helps!

That's great to hear that you're curing your acne! I too noticed a dramatic skin transformation once I started eating right. There are a lot of gluten free foods people can use as a substitute as you mentioned, although personally I stay away from corn! (whole nother' story, google GMO corn) Keep up the good work :)

Hello!

Starting at the beginning of the year of 2011, I've changed my skincare regime, diet and lifestyle. No late nights, less sugar, less sodium, no processed food, less fast food, consistent skincare regime, workout more and drink plain water sufficiently. I also went for facial treatment too every two weeks (treatment designated for acne prone skin, sensitive skin and dry skin. all of these treatments were performed alternately according to my skin condition). My skin improve a lot after that. Less congested skin, less big pimples and less bumps but it took quite some time for my skin to heal. Right now, my skin still have red acne marks and very tiny bump. I do still have few pimples come out occasionally especially when the-time-of-the-month is coming.

I did consumed several GNC supplements to help with my acne problem before but then it doesn't really helpful. So, I stopped taking it. I don't take antibiotic nor birth control pills to reduce my acne because both of these pretty scary to me. =S

I consumed more veges, fruits and good source of protein such as chicken meat, fish, eggs and sometime beef. I do consume grains too such as rice, oatmeal and cereals.

The skin has a very fast turn over rate. Once you give it the nutrients it needs, and avoid the bad stuff, EVERYONE can improve their skin tenfold! I'm happy to hear that your skin is improving :). I don't blame you for not taking antibiotics (unless you had a staph infection or something) because it kills all of the good bacteria in your body. Let me know how your progress is going, with eliminating insulin spiking foods! Also, I would recommend to take vitamins such as the ones I listed on my post (Esp. Zinc and Vitamin A and EFA's). good luck! :)

Hello!

Starting at the beginning of the year of 2011, I've changed my skincare regime, diet and lifestyle. No late nights, less sugar, less sodium, no processed food, less fast food, consistent skincare regime, workout more and drink plain water sufficiently. I also went for facial treatment too every two weeks (treatment designated for acne ........................

i ve got into researching mode as well tongue.png and one thing that am very sure... atleast in my case is that ...SLEEEP...no late nights...

and @overfl00d

For the most part, I eat cruciferous vegetables Broccoli, cauliflower and what not. I also always douse olive oil on them for good fats. Spinach is also very good for you. I do avoid carrots, corn, beats, and peas though since they are a bit high on the GI index.

MemberMember
(@zazaszai)

Posted : 02/06/2012 9:00 pm

I thought I eliminate all the bad stuffs in my diet already since I'm substitute it with organic food and my skin show some improvement after changing my diet. Only now I realize about insulin spiking food. Yikes! I don't take antibiotic when I'm sick too because somehow I feel it will worsen my health in a long term. As you said, antibiotic can kill good bacteria in our body.

Currently I'm taking ayurvedic herb supplements by Himalaya to detox my liver. I'm taking Himalaya Purim and Himalaya Neem. After taking these supplements, my breakout barely come out already except when the time of the month is coming. The supplements helps to heal the old breakout.

Okey, I will try to take the supplements you recommended. My aunt did advised me to take Zinc but then I always forgot to purchase it. Hehe! Which brand do you recommend to take?

MemberMember
(@zazaszai)

Posted : 02/06/2012 9:15 pm

hmmm yeah brown rice..!!! sad.png(

Basmathi rice is listed as healthy carb too as far as I remember (one of the best rice to eat ever!). The bad rice is the one with fragrance.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/06/2012 9:23 pm

I thought I eliminate all the bad stuffs in my diet already since I'm substitute it with organic food and my skin show some improvement after changing my diet. Only now I realize about insulin spiking food. Yikes! I don't take antibiotic when I'm sick too because somehow I feel it will worsen my health in a long term. As you said, antibiotic can kill good bacteria in our body.

Currently I'm taking ayurvedic herb supplements by Himalaya to detox my liver. I'm taking Himalaya Purim and Himalaya Neem. After taking these supplements, my breakout barely come out already except when the time of the month is coming. The supplements helps to heal the old breakout.

Okey, I will try to take the supplements you recommended. My aunt did advised me to take Zinc but then I always forgot to purchase it. Hehe! Which brand do you recommend to take?

Any brand is fine, but the best form of Zinc is called zinc picolinate.

MemberMember
(@zazaszai)

Posted : 02/06/2012 10:23 pm

Thanks! I will look for it soon. =D

MemberMember
(@pm2)

Posted : 02/08/2012 8:59 am

the glycemic index theory is highly controversial!

http://wholehealthso...emic-index.html

http://wholehealthso...emic-index.html

more important:

anti-pufa, maybe low-middle carb, maybe anti gluten and antidairy diet!

Dont forget histamine-testing.

butter is good and will tolerate, even otherwise you not tolerate dairy products like milk!

If dary products will complete tolerate, its maybe a big and good component in a anti-acne diet.

Your nutrient list is strong, alone it can cure acne.

MemberMember
(@buckeye8084)

Posted : 02/12/2012 1:23 am

When you mix "high glycemic foods with fat, protein and other low glycemic foods it actually nuetralizes some of the blood sugar spike. The GI is based off just eating a single food which is real life.

Also, grains like oatmeal and whole wheat products are moderate so I'm not sure what to say other than congrats u found what works for u.

MemberMember
(@disfaced)

Posted : 02/12/2012 3:13 am

Thanks for this information overfl00d smile.png I will look into this more closely - Diet looks nice, This is almost similar to a "caveman-paleo" style. Are you still excluding dairy products as well? I noticed that you are slowly putting back "some grains" but restricting from anything with gluten; hence - "gluten-free" stuff.

I am almost certain that 100% whey protein does have dairy components - in there.

Did you find something in regards to fish oil that made you decide to use flax oil instead?

Also, why Zinc Picolinate ? Any info/comments as to why this one is better? I believe Zinc and Copper need to be in balance (e.g. Jarrow Zinc Balance and Source Naturals makes one too) - I have seen some of those just mentioned brands combining the two, but not with Picolinate.

For the males here - how are you shaving by the way? If not electric, what kind of cream/lotion/oil do you use? I've been trying to find something SLS and fragrance free - but this has been a challenge.

MemberMember
(@maedchen)

Posted : 02/14/2012 3:56 am

Here are the supplements I take.

Vitamin B5 -- This is if you have oily skin. 5-10grams. It's completely non toxic. Also with B vitamins you should take them with the other B vitamins.

if you take 5 - 10 gramms of b 5 every day, i believe even without changing your diet it would work!

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/15/2012 5:36 am

Here are the supplements I take.

Vitamin B5 -- This is if you have oily skin. 5-10grams. It's completely non toxic. Also with B vitamins you should take them with the other B vitamins.

if you take 5 - 10 gramms of b 5 every day, i believe even without changing your diet it would work!

I wouldn't say that. Diet is very important! B5 can tremendously help if you have oily skin though.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/15/2012 6:53 am

Thanks for this information overfl00d smile.png I will look into this more closely - Diet looks nice, This is almost similar to a "caveman-paleo" style. Are you still excluding dairy products as well? I noticed that you are slowly putting back "some grains" but restricting from anything with gluten; hence - "gluten-free" stuff.

I am almost certain that 100% whey protein does have dairy components - in there.

Did you find something in regards to fish oil that made you decide to use flax oil instead?

Also, why Zinc Picolinate ? Any info/comments as to why this one is better? I believe Zinc and Copper need to be in balance (e.g. Jarrow Zinc Balance and Source Naturals makes one too) - I have seen some of those just mentioned brands combining the two, but not with Picolinate.

For the males here - how are you shaving by the way? If not electric, what kind of cream/lotion/oil do you use? I've been trying to find something SLS and fragrance free - but this has been a challenge.

I don't eat any grains. There are some benefits to grains(if they're whole, and ideally sprouted) for getting a few of the B vitamins, but the negatives far out weigh the little benefits. Grains are very hard on the digestive system. They also have many anti-nutrients such Lectins, Phytates and Gluten. I still stay away from dairy. I would only drink milk if it was pure raw unadulterated milk. Not the boiled, pasteurized slew of white liquid, hormone injected ooze that you find in super markets.

Whey Protein does come from milk, but it has very little lactose in it. There are rare cases that some people are allergic to Whey protein but most people aren't. If you can't tolerate Whey Protein there are alternatives, but they aren't AS good as Whey which has lots of beneficial amino acids. Brazil Nut, Pea, Hemp Seed, are all alternatives that people can use.

Flaxseed oil has a good balance of all Omega 3's and 6's. Adding fish oil is ok too, for it's Omega 3 content.

Zinc picolinate is absorbed easiest by your body than the other forms of Zinc. Here's a link about zinc.

MemberMember
(@wingedserpent)

Posted : 02/15/2012 7:25 am

I feel constrained to point out that those levels of vitamins you are taking are potentially dangerous.

Any vitamin that you take in those amounts is a drug. Just because it occurs naturally does not make it safe.

If you research the clinically documented side effects of prolonged megadosing of the vitamins you are taking, you will find some shocking results. The point is, these side effects do not appear overnight. They usually take several months to appear. I made myself very sick after five months taking exactly the same level of Vitamin D that you are taking.

Even Vitamin C, generally thought be benign in large amounts, has been linked with kidney stone formation at the levels you are taking. Passing kidney stones is said to be amongst the most painful conditions a person can ever experience. Fancy that? No, me neither.

I would suggest that you can still retain clear skin whilst cutting those doses down to a fraction.

And I would advise anyone to do their own research about megadosing vitamins and think very carefully about the risks.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/15/2012 8:10 am

I feel constrained to point out that those levels of vitamins you are taking are potentially dangerous.

Any vitamin that you take in those amounts is a drug.

Vitamins are NOT drugs. Saying that vitamins are drugs is a ignorant thing to say! That's exactly what modern day doctors say, and look at their track record.

The levels I recommend are all completely safe. It's funny how you're acting like vitamins and minerals are a super dangerous drug, which of course they're not. Your body needs vitamins and minerals to function. The fact of the matter is, no one is getting near even the minimum recommend. The RDA recommendation is a joke. Many biochemists have debunked the RDA because people need much more. What the RDA recommends is to keep you barely alive when you're healthy. Now everyone is different. Some people are sick and have a compromised system and need even more vitamins and minerals, so really the RDA is used as a figure guideline.

If you research the clinically documented side effects of prolonged megadosing of the vitamins you are taking, you will find some shocking results. The point is, these side effects do not appear overnight. They usually take several months to appear. I made myself very sick after five months taking exactly the same level of Vitamin D that you are taking.

Sorry to hear you got sick. Nothing I have mentioned is considered mega dosing. It is very rare for someone to get sick for taking vitamin D. It could have been the brand you took or something else related. All the info I have posted come from real nutritional biochemists. Many of the "clinical documents" are pseudoscience and are linked to corporations such as Monsanto.

Even Vitamin C, generally thought be benign in large amounts, has been linked with kidney stone formation at the levels you are taking. Passing kidney stones is said to be amongst the most painful conditions a person can ever experience. Fancy that? No, me neither.

Vitamin C is completely non toxic. And for you to think 5grams is mega dosing is quite laughable! Some people take 50 grams of Vitamin C daily. It's been known for a while that vitamin C isn't toxic at all; that was age old research. Vitamin C gets flushed out of you when you urinate. As long as you're taking it throughout the day you're ok. "The accumulated evidence demonstrates that vitamin C, even in large amounts, is a remarkably safe substance. This evidence strongly supports the role of vitamin C as an important antioxidant, not a pro-oxidant." Here are a few links you can read up. smile.png

http://lpi.oregonsta...dneystones.html

http://www.americanf...20C%20Is%20.htm

http://eregimens.com...aminC/index.htm

MemberMember
(@wingedserpent)

Posted : 02/15/2012 8:34 am

Well, of course, I hardly expected you to agree.

I hope people reading this will do their own research.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/15/2012 8:36 am

Well, of course, I hardly expected you to agree.

I hope people reading this will do their own research.

Yes, I encourage people to do their own research as well ;)

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 02/15/2012 9:18 am

Incidentally, your thread doesn't belong in this section. This is for adults. Not for people three years out of high school.

My information works for all ages. Seems like you're coming in this post with a chip on your shoulder. Why so angry bro? Technically you're an adult at 18. With your attitude you seem like you're lacking in adult manners. eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@hollydallas)

Posted : 02/15/2012 4:40 pm

thanks for the info overflood.