Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audreyjade

What's The Longest Lasting Cyst You've Had?

Not sure if this is already a thread, sorry if someone has already asked this question, but I'm curious as to how long some you guys' cysts have stuck around. I've had 2 cysts in my life, one about 5 years ago and now another. I've had this one (in the same spot as the one I had 5 years ago) now since August of last year...it is now January...5 months!

Back in September I went to a derm and had it shot with cortisone, which flattened it, but ultimately a week later it came back. The only time it ever hurt was for about the first month or so, by the time I got it shot with cortisone it no longer hurt at all, but it was pretty big. I also went on the antibiotic Doxycycline and noticed that helped shrink it, but it still never completely went away. I finally have gotten so fed up that about 4 days ago I started 100 mg of Doxy again for the sole purpose of getting rid of this thing once and for all because nothing else is working. I have a pretty good skin care regimen, I take 30-60 mg of zinc a day, drink lots of water and eat pretty healthily...there's not much I feel I can do. Also, cysts are underneath the skin, so no amount of TTO or BP or anything is going to help. I don't WANT to be on Doxy again, but I really want this thing gone. So far I think it is helping a little.

So, long story short, I've had a cyst for five almost 6 months now...what about you guys? Am I being silly for being so bothered about this 6 month old cyst? Have any of you guys had cysts that have lasted much longer?

I hate it when it comes back in the same freakin place. My longest was 6 months and it only went away after a derm drained it. THAT was painful and it left a scar on my neck for years. The worst one I had on my face lasted 2 months or so... huge, painful and disfiguring... only went away after I started Minocycline. No topicals ever seem to help - I agree with you there. Cysts are obnoxious.

hey yeah ive got a small hard lump left from a cyst which has been there going on a year now.

I actually think that's what mine is...not really so much a cyst anymore but a little hard almost flat lump...

I hate it when it comes back in the same freakin place. My longest was 6 months and it only went away after a derm drained it. THAT was painful and it left a scar on my neck for years. The worst one I had on my face lasted 2 months or so... huge, painful and disfiguring... only went away after I started Minocycline. No topicals ever seem to help - I agree with you there. Cysts are obnoxious.

I wonder why they come back in the same place!! Like I said, I have only had two and they have been in the exact same place. Must be a reason. Maybe my skin is really thick there?

Um, my first cyst lasted probably 2-3 months, but the couple I have gotten after, only a week because I popped them, but I would have a little mark there afterwards. But for some reason, the bigger the cyst, the quicker it goes away. The first cyst I had was pretty big and i tried to pop it but I didn't really have any pimples at this time, and since it was my first cyst, when it didn't pop I just thought "oh it'll go away in a few days" but the 3rd cyst i had was GIGANTIC. And I popped that immediately and the next day I had a scab, and the day after that just a little pink mark and then a few days later completely gone. But I hate cysts. I can deal with whiteheads and small pimples but when I get a cyst it seriously makes me depressed and that's all that's on my mind but thankfully i only have goten 2 big cysts, and about 3 or 4 tiny ones (the tiny ones may have been nodules tho..the huge things were def cysts since pus came out)

I had one under my eye for about 5 months and it kept coming back,it looked like someone punched right under my eye lol

OUCH! Bet you're glad it's gone. :D

Um, my first cyst lasted probably 2-3 months, but the couple I have gotten after, only a week because I popped them, but I would have a little mark there afterwards. But for some reason, the bigger the cyst, the quicker it goes away. The first cyst I had was pretty big and i tried to pop it but I didn't really have any pimples at this time, and since it was my first cyst, when it didn't pop I just thought "oh it'll go away in a few days" but the 3rd cyst i had was GIGANTIC. And I popped that immediately and the next day I had a scab, and the day after that just a little pink mark and then a few days later completely gone. But I hate cysts. I can deal with whiteheads and small pimples but when I get a cyst it seriously makes me depressed and that's all that's on my mind but thankfully i only have goten 2 big cysts, and about 3 or 4 tiny ones (the tiny ones may have been nodules tho..the huge things were def cysts since pus came out)

Wow I'm amazed that third one didn't scar or leave a big hyperpigmentation blotch!! Lucky you, you must have resilient skin. :)