Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Initial Breakout

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 01/24/2012 6:12 pm

Hello,

I noticed that many people have said they suffered an initial breakout while taking spironolactone. I'm on my third day, 50mg 1x, and am noticing that my face is breaking out some(who knows the cause, spironolactone or other) but I was wondering, could other women that tried this medication let me know how long the initial breakout lasted? I know it hasn't been long, but I am at my wits end... I'm not sure I can take much more!

Thanks ladies!

:)

MemberMember
(@igossip)

Posted : 01/24/2012 6:25 pm

I definitely had an initial break out that started at about... Day 3-4, and cleared by the beginning of week 2. Frustrating, I know, but stick with it!!

Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 01/24/2012 6:42 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'll be interested to hear if other women noticed a similar timeline...

MemberMember
(@dreamingofclearskin2011)

Posted : 01/24/2012 8:12 pm

dang a ten day IB that sucks :( i havent taken anything that has given me an ib but i think i may be going to the doc tomorrow or thursday to get some antibiotics and im totally not looking forward to the ib.......saywhat.gif i may not go at all just to avoid the ib LOL and just pray that the acne starts to go away sooneusa_pray.gif

anyways good luck on yur bc! i hope it gets you clear.

MemberMember
(@s0633186monmouth-edu)

Posted : 01/24/2012 11:04 pm

Hey, back when i used to take spiro I don't remember ever having an initial break out but everybody is different, but i'm sure you'll clear up soon!

BTW, Spiro works amazing! at least it did for me! I keep asking my derm to put me back on it, but she won't :( I'm jealous of you lol

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 01/24/2012 11:50 pm

Hey, back when i used to take spiro I don't remember ever having an initial break out but everybody is different, but i'm sure you'll clear up soon!

BTW, Spiro works amazing! at least it did for me! I keep asking my derm to put me back on it, but she won't sad.png I'm jealous of you lol

how long were you on it, why wont she put you back on it?

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 01/25/2012 12:52 am

Yeah I'm still not sure if the initial breakout is because I'm about to get my period or becuase of the spiro... I've just heard so many stories of acne getting worse on spiro before it gets better that I am paranoid! Anyway, hoping for the best...

MemberMember
(@s0633186monmouth-edu)

Posted : 01/27/2012 7:32 pm

BTW, Spiro works amazing! at least it did for me! I keep asking my derm to put me back on it, but she won't sad.png I'm jealous of you lol

I was on it from like July to November (or October) two years ago so I guess 4 to 5 months. I was taken off of it because my face was super clear and I went to a different derm to get a refill because my original derm who put me on it was sick, and she said that I didn't need to be on it anymore. So my face was really really clear for over a year(almost two), I would get a tiny pimple here and there. And the reason why she won't put me back on it because she thinks my face is clear! Which for the most part it is, but i still get a few pimples here and there in my chin area and when I was on spiro I didn't. But my face is def much better even two years later than it was before I was on spiro. Now I just take vitamins that she reluctantly prescribes me lol. I'm going back to her in a few days for a wart so I'm gonna ask her again. But ugh of course my face is perfectly clear so she's gonna def not do it.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 01/27/2012 10:43 pm

I was on it from like July to November (or October) two years ago so I guess 4 to 5 months. I was taken off of it because my face was super clear and I went to a different derm to get a refill because my original derm who put me on it was sick, and she said that I didn't need to be on it anymore. So my face was really really clear for over a year(almost two), I would get a tiny pimple here and there. And the reason why she won't put me back on it because she thinks my face is clear! Which for the most part it is, but i still get a few pimples here and there in my chin area and when I was on spiro I didn't. But my face is def much better even two years later than it was before I was on spiro. Now I just take vitamins that she reluctantly prescribes me lol. I'm going back to her in a few days for a wart so I'm gonna ask her again. But ugh of course my face is perfectly clear so she's gonna def not do it.

i took spiro for about 8 months and it did amazing things to my face and i have no symptoms. i was only taking 25mg too. i came off it by myself because of the fear i'd never get perscribed it again and i'd not know what to do. i started slowly but after the 3-4th month bam all my acne came back. its been a stuggle since -_- i want to go back on it but i know its just masking my problem but to be honest im worse than i ever was before so im a bit confused. the doc didnt even say i couldnt be on it but i know eventually ill have to get off it. its so annoying that only 25mg kept me 99% clear , such a small dose and now im donig all i can to mimic spiro and nothings working at all :S

MemberMember
(@spiro123)

Posted : 01/28/2012 11:45 am

I think the spiro IB is different for everyone. Mine occurred in phases. Month one brought lots of blackheads/clogged pores which had never really been an issue for me. Month two was where I had real breakouts all around my mouth/chin and cheeks for almost the entire month, it was seriously brutal. I finally noticed improvement by month three and now, going into month five, my skin is beautiful. Just be patient and try not to get discouraged!!

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 01/30/2012 7:16 pm

Thanks for everyone's encouragement! It means alot

MemberMember
(@leopard1)

Posted : 02/05/2012 2:08 am

I've been on spiro 50mg 2x/day for about 6 weeks now and my face is pretty much the worst its been in a while. however, i also switched from tretinoin to differin at the same time b/c my derm thought that tretinoin cream was making my face oily and i hated the oiliness so i was willing to try differin. so idk if this IB is from differin or spiro, i mean differin should pretty much be the same as tretinoin right? it's a retinoid but who knows. whichever it is, it is really frustrating because they are med sized red lumps all along the sides of my mouth and cheeks (where is was clear previously before starting this new regimen. this whole process is very discouraging but i keep saying to myself after these pimples go away maybe i'll be clear. ughh. good luck everyone!

MemberMember
(@bk2119)

Posted : 11/11/2012 11:36 pm

Starting week 3 of spiro, 100 mg/day.... REALLY bad breakout, all along my jawline, big ones. Also, breaking out in places I don't usually, like forehead. I'm getting really depressed from this.... did anybody who found Spiro effective have this initial breakout? How long did it last?

I'm used to bad acne, but this is painful and crippling. I feel like a monster, and I was so hopeful. I'm afraid, even if spiro will eventually kick in, that I'll have horrible scars from this initial breakout.

Please help.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:31 am

Starting week 3 of spiro, 100 mg/day.... REALLY bad breakout, all along my jawline, big ones. Also, breaking out in places I don't usually, like forehead. I'm getting really depressed from this.... did anybody who found Spiro effective have this initial breakout? How long did it last?

I'm used to bad acne, but this is painful and crippling. I feel like a monster, and I was so hopeful. I'm afraid, even if spiro will eventually kick in, that I'll have horrible scars from this initial breakout.

Please help.

My initial breakout lasted about 2 weeks, and what's strange about it was that I broke out on my scalp. It had been years since I experienced a scalp breakout. If I were you, I'd give it another week. If your skin doesn't begin to show signs of improvement during that week, I'd call your derm.

Best of luck! rolleyes.gif