Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snsdgirl14

Feeling Depressed. Missing Classes.

I'm a freshman in college. I have struggled with acne for years; I always seem to get a rather bad breakout in the winter each year, then it tends to clear up by the spring. However, I got a pretty bad breakout starting around mid October this year. I didn't pay it much attention because for some reason, all I really got were red marks; it looked like hyperpigmentation. Not really many raised pimples. I know it sounds weird, but it was easily covered with makeup so I didn't think much of it. Without makeup, though, I definitely looked like I had some acne problems.

Fast forward to Christmas break and my mom kind of freaked out about my skin, saying it's never looked like this, etc. She got me an appointment with a derm for the end of break. I tried to treat my skin over break, but nothing really worked. In fact, it seemed to get worse--I was now getting actual zits, which of course suck because they leave MORE red marks.

The derm prescribed me Monodox (doxycycline I guess) to take twice a day, Epiduo at night, and Aczone in the morning. I don't use the Aczone because it wasn't really working for me, plus I don't like using acne meds during the day. I use the Monodox and Epiduo accordingly, though. I just can't tell if it's working. I think my red marks are starting to fade a little bit, but not a whole lot. My skin is drier now so my makeup doesn't look as good. And I'm getting more zits than usual--small ones that usually come to a head quickly, but nevertheless, they're still there. I don't know if I'm still in the "it gets worse before it gets better" stage (I've been taking the medication for about 3 weeks) but it's frustrating.

Going to class is the hardest thing for me. I go to class and see everyone with perfect skin and just feel so jealous and awful. I can't concentrate because I keep thinking about it. I've been skipping classes just because I don't want to obsess over my skin. It's a really bad cycle and I can't get a bad GPA this semester....I have to do well. But I feel so conflicted. I don't know how to handle this.

My brother said to me that my acne is not that bad, but it's tough being a girl and having acne. I was, and still am to an extent, happy with my actual physical features (eyes, lips, etc) and I feel like acne is holding me back so much. I feel more reserved, withdrawn, etc and I wish I could be as outgoing and smiley as I used to be. I've literally had maybe 3 dreams this week that I woke up to clear skin. I don't know what to do.

'Ello love. I'm giving you a big hug! Stay calm and just breathe. You've been proactive an have taken action. Best step! Treat now! You have a script and a Derm. Give it time. Relax, take a walk, fresh air and sunshine. Your psyche is important to healing as your physical....even more important!

I understand what this is like. When I started college, I would skip many days due to my skin, and then feel even worse that night because I knew I let my acne controll my life, which I told myself I would never do. I know its hard but you got to get to the classes. You will feel better. Just getting outside and taking your mind off your acne for a few hours can do great things.

Letting your acne control your actions is a slippery slope. Missing one class can lead to missing several classes. Its hard but it is important to remember that you are bigger than your acne. Dont let it control you.

I know how you feel, i used to be the same way. I used to always complain about my skin because it clearly wasnt the best but people always told me that its all in my head and that it wasnt that bad. I started to realized that the more you stress over it and touch your face or mess with it in any way, the more it tends to worsen you peronally mentally and physically. Find a regimen that works for you (dan's regimen worked perfectly for me) and go on with you life, enjoy it.

I've never skipped class because of it, but I've *occasionally* thought about my skin in class (though for the most part being in class helps me take my mind off it).

Someone posted this question a while ago, and I'm not sure if it'll help, but it makes sense: It may take a little longer than you expected for you to clear up -- in the meantime though, what would your rather have? Lower grades than you are otherwise capable of getting + acne or great grades + acne? If you go to class now, you will feel even better when you do clear up (and you will -- remember this isn't permanent, even if it can feel like it at times). If you don't go to class, when you do clear up you may look back in regret if you let acne impact your grades in even the slightest way.

Again, I'm not sure if that helped, and I know it's much easier said than done. In fact, I've skipped out on certain events outside of school because of how bad my face looked on certain days. But just something to think about -- it always helps me stay focused and helps me make sure not to let this temporary problem impact me more than it already has. smile.png

Edited by JSA

Thank you everyone for the kind advice, it's nice to have support! I'm feeling better about my skin today and know I can't skip anymore classes because of my skin. It's tough getting up in the morning and seeing the red marks etc. but I know I just have to put on a little makeup, go out into the world and live my life until my skin is clear, which will happen with time.

Cheer up! Even if you just fake confidence and smile, you'll look your bestrazz.gif Life has got to keep going. Don't worry. Everything that happends is part of the plan. Do what you can, but in the end, just relax and be you.

Delighfully, Me:)

Try yoga or go for a walk when u feel stress coming on, maybe try the vitamin Executive B- stress folrmula.... it helps calm my stresses down.