Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maloy

HOW DOES DRINKNG ALCOHOL AFFECT ACCUTANE TREATMENT

How does alcohol affect your accutane treatment?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. How does alcohol affect your accutane treatment?

• It speeds it up!!
    • No effect on skin or liver
    • Slows down skin improvement only
    • Affects liver/stomach only
    • Slows down skin improvement AND affects liver/stomach

Just wondering what you all think as at the moment, the apparent drinking ban whilst on accutane is the main thing thats putting me off. I guess I would describe myself as a binge drinker and tend not to drink during the week and then really go for it on the weekends. will i need to stop drinkin alltogether or is it ok to carry on like this?

Ta very much

Lee

Just wondering what you all think as at the moment, the apparent drinking ban whilst on accutane is the main thing thats putting me off. I guess I would describe myself as a binge drinker and tend not to drink during the week and then really go for it on the weekends. will i need to stop drinkin alltogether or is it ok to carry on like this?

Ta very much

Lee

I got smashed friday and well I think it even might of helped I had a breakout on my 4head and I took my pills sat and I cleared up overnight...it might of been the salycic acid too...who knows but in the long run im sure alcohol does more bad than good, try and stay away from it I know its hard but maybe just 2-4 beers max...

I think you definitely should not BINGE on alcohol...patients on accutane are not supposed to drink too much because accutane increases the amount of tryglycerides in the blood, and alcohol does that too.

I think you definitely should not BINGE on alcohol...patients on accutane are not supposed to drink too much because accutane increases the amount of tryglycerides in the blood, and alcohol does that too.

Hello.. I've been on Accutane at 80 mg per day for 6 full months.. (today is my last day.. wahoo!) Anyways.. I'm not a big drinker during the week. but i do go out to the bars on fri an sat nights.. I do drink quite a bit.. And I must say that I have been pretty hammered.. At least one night of the weekend i get pretty drunk and the other i take it easy and only have a few drinks..

anyways.. i haven't had any problems.s. and i got blood tests done every 4 weeks.. and all my results have consisitently come back normal..

it must all depend on the person.. ..

I've been on accutane a little over a month and have been drinking during the time as well. I'm in a fraternity in college, so it's kinda hard not to drink (infact i unfortunately tend to get drunk about once a week). So far, it has not seemed to affect my liver, as my blood test came back really good. One thing, though, is that i noticed that i tend to get my worst breakouts a couple of days after being drunk. So, i guess alcohol with acne is just not a good combination at all. I am trying to cut down on the days that I drink, though, so hopefully it will help.

hey hey maloy..

ive been on roaccutane for 2 months now..nearly 9 weeks (wooo!) and i, in true british style...enjoy the odd binge drinking session along with the majority of students in Britain.. and well...getting absoutely battered is something i do well.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, obviously, its not too good because of all the strain your liver's under anyway with the tane that it doesnt need extra strain by alcohol but...just make sure you drink lots of water to rehydrate and go for it..

*im not trying to enforce alcohol consumption* Just think its important to carry on with normal life regardless of being on something like accutane...if you enjoy it, do it, but i suppose it some sort of moderation.. (am i digging myself a hole?)

I think this is a VERY bad idea. The strain your liver is under is pretty bad, and it doesn't need more interferrence from alcohol.

Please don't do massive drinking sessions while on Accutane. Limit yourself out a bit.

I did a few big drinking times with my friends while on Accutane and I had a very, very bad headache the next day and felt pretty ill. I stopped doing it after this 'cause it wasn't a smart move at all.

I am having a way to stop drinking.. This is a very simple method and almost you will not be a drinker anymore.. Mail me.. I will give you the tips online free..

This is a comprehensive addiction portal focusing on topics of alcohol and drug abuse.

http://www.alcoholaddiction.org

The problem with Accutane and alcohol is that both are broken down in the liver. If you begin to have liver problems, it is no small thing. You cannot live without a liver. If it completely fails your only option is a transplant. It's just not worth the risk. It is not at all like the kidney, where if you get failure you can get dialysis.

I was just wondering what a safe amount to drink is? I have been on accutane for two months and only 10mg a day. Infact, my derm didn't even tell me not to drink, I asked him about it since my friend had warned me not to drink and my derm said it was fine in moderation. But I dont understand what that is considered lol.. Any reccomendations?

I was just wondering what a safe amount to drink is? I have been on accutane for two months and only 10mg a day. Infact, my derm didn't even tell me not to drink, I asked him about it since my friend had warned me not to drink and my derm said it was fine in moderation. But I dont understand what that is considered lol.. Any reccomendations?

What does moderate drinking mean?

There is no one definition of moderate drinking, but generally the term is used to describe low-risk or responsible drinking. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (1), drinking in moderation is defined as having no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days.

But that definition is for those who are not taking other medications that harm the liver, including tylenol. So one drink a day (and NOT seven drinks in one night) is relatively moderate and most likely safe. Still, it is better to be even more moderate as the liver can only repair itself so much; beyond a certain stage of damage, the only option is a liver transplant. Liver failure is MISERABLE. Imagine an abdomen the size of two watermelons, cerebral edema, yellow skin and eyes, impaired thoughts and reasoning and judgement, etc. Oh yes, weakness, fatigue, and inability to do any normal activities of daily living.

Hey, new here!

Right, I'm on accutane now, I'm 17, male, I'm on 5mg a day for 1st month, then 10mg a day, then 20mg for a month, then for the rest 40mg a day till I finish - 16 weeks. So ...

I don't drink, only when I'm at a party or social event. Now, I'll be on 10mg a day (almost finish 2nd month) when my friend as his birthday bash at his house where everyone will get (I'll put this nicely) HAMMERED. Completeley. Drunk out of their arse. Drinking games etc etc etc. It'll get messy.

Will I be okay? Can I drink (I'll have to!) obviously I won't get too bad, but I will most likely get very drunk. However, this will likely be the ONLY time this will happen in my entire 16 week treatment. Honestly, if it was just a party I'd say no and make something up, but the fact is he's my best mate, it's his birthday, and I just want to have fun!

Advice, please? Nice to be here, and hope everyone gets rid of their acne! lol. ;)

Some Doctors giving advices about drinking. Drinking is injurious to health. Every body know this but Some Doctors are telling taking small amount of drink is very good to health and it shows very good effects on our feature. Daily taking one peg of Whiskey it is very good to heart these words are told by Doctors.

=============================================

Jobs.steve

I too, am also curious about this topic. I have been currently taking accutane for almost a month now, and as you all know New Year's is around the corner and it just so happens I am within driving distance to Vegas. I plan on drinking but I hope one night of drinking doesn't do any pernament damage to my liver just one night of binge drinking is all I ask. I have been skimming through several sites that people post topics about this specific discussion and it seems this one has the most input. My theory is if you drink alot of water before, eat and drink, and then consume lots of water after you should be okay.. Or that is what I am hopeing for.

is accutane significantly harder on your liver than minocycline? i was on mino for awhile, and indulged in excessive alchohol intake fairly regulularly in college, and that wasn't a problem. However, from the comments here, i get the impression that accutane might be harder on your liver.

Imagine an abdomen the size of two watermelons, cerebral edema, yellow skin and eyes, impaired thoughts and reasoning and judgement, etc. Oh yes, weakness, fatigue, and inability to do any normal activities of daily living.

I have to admit, that is a pretty deterring visualization. I'll probably end up succumbing to a few peer pressure enduced outings at the bars/month, but i will definitely be pretty conservative in my intake.

Hi

my body mass is around 90kg and i drink 40mg per day.

I have not been drinking alcohol since i have started with R, it means 3 months.

But, now I am really scared becuase on new years eve I drank around 0.5l of beer, 0.5l of wine, and around 0.2l of jack daniels.

will something awful happen to me? :doh:

and will it be written in my blood test in one week because i dont want my parents to find out about this.

thanks

Hey, new here!

Right, I'm on accutane now, I'm 17, male, I'm on 5mg a day for 1st month, then 10mg a day, then 20mg for a month, then for the rest 40mg a day till I finish - 16 weeks. So ...

I don't drink, only when I'm at a party or social event. Now, I'll be on 10mg a day (almost finish 2nd month) when my friend as his birthday bash at his house where everyone will get (I'll put this nicely) HAMMERED. Completeley. Drunk out of their arse. Drinking games etc etc etc. It'll get messy.

Will I be okay? Can I drink (I'll have to!) obviously I won't get too bad, but I will most likely get very drunk. However, this will likely be the ONLY time this will happen in my entire 16 week treatment. Honestly, if it was just a party I'd say no and make something up, but the fact is he's my best mate, it's his birthday, and I just want to have fun!

Advice, please? Nice to be here, and hope everyone gets rid of their acne! lol. ;)

Mate ur puttin the pussy on a pedastal.. you needa calm down n just have a drink with ur boys without worryin about this crap. u sound like a girl with all ur jibbajabba will it hurt me stuff. go get pissed as :D

im not planning on drinking on accutane.. only smoking reefer on it :whistle:

yeh this guy knows the go. SMOKE UP!

I think this is a VERY bad idea. The strain your liver is under is pretty bad, and it doesn't need more interferrence from alcohol.

Please don't do massive drinking sessions while on Accutane. Limit yourself out a bit.

I did a few big drinking times with my friends while on Accutane and I had a very, very bad headache the next day and felt pretty ill. I stopped doing it after this 'cause it wasn't a smart move at all.

That big headache u got is called a HANGOVER dude.. btw, no idiot says "i did a few big drinking times" i dont think ur a smart move at all

what about just not taking the pills on the day that u play on gettin hammered? wouldn't that give ur liver a chance to break down the alcohol, and not worry about the extra stress that the pills put on it?

i'm on a form of the drug called roaccutane, on 60mg a day. Went to hospital for check up and the consultant decided i needed 6 extra weeks (ive just finished 4 months) :(. I had heard that its not good to drink on this drug but this guy was telling me even a few drinks could make me really sick! I'm worried now cos i drank half a crate of bud at the weekend. I didn't even get a headache or throw up or anything but im worried that i could end up with some seriously heavy problem (even though im not a regular drinker.) Any advice, medical or otherwise would be appreciated.