Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BionicBoy

Is Using Oil Free/non Comedogenic Make Up Really That Important?

Hey guys, this is my first post on here :) My question is...as someone that likes to cover up with foundations and concealers, I'm constantly making sure the products I use are oil free and non comedogenic, but I have heard about a foundation that EVERYBODY loves and has said hasn't broken them out, that is Rimmel Lasting Finish 25hr Foundation...which does not claim to be oil free or non comedogenic, so as acne sufferers...does it really matter to make that choice?

The answer should be yes. Oil free and non comedogenic products will be less likely to break you out, but it's really a matter of personal preference. We're all different.

i say yes it matters , it matters very much... as a tip my dermatologist went over and over again the importance of mineral make up and I just didn't beleive in it/ didn't think it would give coverage and then maybe after three times of lecturing I bought it and I will never ever buy anything else... I use bare minerals

It depends on the oils, I'm guessing. Not all oils are bad for our skin. In fact, a few of them are quite beneficial. However, most of the ones in makeup are probably not that great? Not to mention, leaving makeup on your skin for 25 hours is a very bad idea lol. I can't imagine why a company or person would want or need makeup to last that long...

The good news is that there are so many foundations that are oil-free so finding a replacement shouldn't be too hard. Better to err on the side of caution and go with something oil-free.

A foundation that EVERYBODY loves?? Sounds too good to be true! Try it out and see. Depends on your skin :)

As for an oil free... Revlon Colourstay is a good OTC one. Their New Complexion one is good too - less coverage but it's water based which makes me feel better about slathering it on.

......in my experience even those products that claim to be non-comedogenic can cause me to have an acne breakout....... my dermatologist just flat out said to just stop using any kind of make up...especially foundation, even ordinary powder!!!!! so i'm following his advice... i'm just going all natural..... no make up..... yes it still hurts if people stare but i'm doing it for me!!!!

ACNE go away already!!!!

I don't know how the companies can decide their product is non-comeodegenic.. i think its a marketing scam half the time.Lots of makeup i have used that makes that claim is crap.

I have to wear makeup for my job so I'm picky about what chemicals I put on my skin. A LOT of money has gone into skin to get rid of acne (spending roughly 500 a month on Accutane) so I don't plan to spend that much to get rid of my acne and then put just any kind of makeup on it.

If I didn't have to wear makeup, I wouldn't. A lot of harsh chemicals and it just isn't necessary. I hear mineral makeups work well but I've tried them before and it didn't have good enough coverage for my severe acne. Love the way you look and go all natural. It feels great and is free :)

I have very sensitive skin with acne, purple scars and am bright red most of the time, so I really need some kind of foundation/concealer as I can't get over the whole people staring thing. Have spent a fortune trying virtually every product (inc. minerals) that claims to be non-comedogenic and so far every single one has broken me out! Really don't know what to do or what manufacturer's claims to trust anymore.

The Rimmel 25-Hour Lasting Finish Foundation really isn't that good. I have moderate acne, dark marks, and icepick scars and this stuff only partially covers them up. It's good for hiding redness, evening out my skin tone, and covering minor blemishes but that's about it. In general, I would say that it's medium coverage. The staying power isn't that good as it claims either (it never seems to be able to dry!). Granted, it hasn't broken me out either, but my #1 priority in foundations is coverage, soooo...yeah. Lasting Finish really doesn't make the cut for me.

In reply to your noncomedogenic question:

I'm no expert on acne, but I don't think noncomedogenic makeup is a crucial factor for people with acne. To be brutally honest, I'm 16 now and I've been wearing foundation since age 10 due to being bullied and my extreme insecurity (I've had acne since age 9)...and I'm pretty sure that none of the foundations I've worn were noncomedogenic--not that I checked.

As long as you completely remove your makeup as soon as you come home from school/work, you should be fine. Use a makeup remover to remove your eye makeup and a good facial cleanser to remove the rest of your makeup. I like to use two seperate cleansers (Clean & Clear Daily Pore Cleanser for removing foundation when I get home from school; Clean & Clear Continuous Acne Control Cleanser for cleansing face and treating acne at night in the shower).

Edited by AntiqueGlitter

I use BareMinerals also. It's important to find make up that doesn't exacerbate your skin conditions. I had mild acne and currently have eczema, PF and PIH. I even had to change moisturizers. Turned out my sunscreen had chemicals that irritate skin conditions. I had to search for a sunscreen with zinc oxide and it has been worth it. BareMinerals also has it and it never inflamed my skin conditions or caused breakouts. In fact when my acne was moderate that's when I started using it and it improved my skin tone and was non-irritating and I've been using it ever since. One thing I recommend is purchasing your beauty products at a place like Sephora. You can return the product even after you use it as long you don't use more than half of the product. That way you could see if it works for you.