Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cvd

I'm So Depressed

I'm sad and depressed. This flare-up keeps going on and on and on. My derm refuses to give me any more antibiotics and instead put me on Oracea. Everytime I look in the mirror there is more swelling and more bumps. I just am getting over a bad one...very inflamed, infected, ugly...and now two more have come. All on my chin. Help...

we r all there just know that we are in the same place... sometimes I tell myself to not look at my face for one month and just do my routine.. plus some tips:

. tretinoin takes 2 months at least to work..

. and I started going to an aethetician and doing what is called a micro peel( acid that makes you peel), supposed to go very well with tretinoin

ps: I read on here that flax seed is bad ,something about wrong combination on omegas you may want to check into the diet/vitamin message boards and look further into it

Thanks guys! I'm hanging in there. My husband said to just take it bit by bit, hour by hour, day by day, and don't think about the future. That seems to help. I cried a lot last night...total melt down...but it seemed to help to let out all the dispair and frustration. It felt cleansing. My mom died Thanksgiving which may be part of this continued bad flare-up. After the holiday rush it's like my system is letting everything out.

Travelzd --- my derm has scheduled me for monthly mild microdermabrasions (which would be like a micro peel) starting mid-Feb. He wants to see if this helps the tretinoin cream work better, especially in the chin area. I have been using tretinoin cream for about 2 years. Started at .5% which worked a little bit and then upped to .1% a year ago. This has basically cleared my forehead and nose area but the chin is stubborn and still congested with plugged up pores. I generate a lot of oil and sticky sebum plugs in that area. That's very interesting about flaxseed. I've been eating about a tablespoon a day since I was put on my allergy diet in Oct and then starting having breakouts getting worse and worse and worse. I am stopping the flaxseed meal today!!!

Copped --- I was on Bactrim for about 5 years and my derm won't let me use any more antibiotics...wants me to try Oracea instead...although it takes about a month to kick in (misery...).

This is how I cured my acne without ANY medication or prescription drugs.

---------

What to avoid: ALL insulin spiking foods. That means no rice, bread, oatmeal, potatoes. Of course no sugar; soda, candy, ect. and milk.

What to consume: Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables! For every meal - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Good sources of protein: Chicken, Fish, Beans.

---------

Now for the multivitamins. This is very important.

Essential Fatty Acids: Flaxseed oil or Hemp seed oil is the best type. You can also also buy Whole flaxseed and ground them up with a coffee grinder and sprinkle a generous amount on your food such as yogurts and salads. If you get capsules, make sure to take 6-9 of them.

Vitamin A: 20,000 IU

Zinc: 50 mg (find one with a bit of copper)

Pantothenic Acid: (If you have oily skin, high doses are recommend, up to 5-10 grams. Also taken with B-complex)

Vitamin C: 5 grams

Vitamin D: 5,000 IU (Only if you aren't getting sunlight daily)

I would also take a multivitamin before going to bed.

Also drink 8 glasses of water a day.

-----------

Best of luck!

Have you ever tried a high dose of vitamin A or vitamin E. I read some posts on here that it has helped people alot with their acne.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. We have all been there, but it will get better. It just takes time. I'm also really sorry to hear about your Mom, that is something unimaginably hard to go through and it's good to cry and let all your feelings out. That could be one of the main reasons you are breaking out, stress does a number on the body. It's sounds like you have a really supportive husband, I would focus on taking care of yourself mentally and physically and relaxing with him. If what is happening to your face causes you to be upset, don't look in the mirror very often. It seems like a stupid thing to say but it really does help to not focus on it, let it go and just accept what is happening at the current moment. Try to forget about it. Very hard thing to do mind you, I also understand that.

I like what one of the above posters said about diet and insulin-spiking foods. This has also really helped me. I also think that it is bad for the body to stay on long term antibiotics and your dermatologist is doing you a favor by refusing to put you on more (as hard as that seems right now). I would switch to a stronger probiotic because I'm sure much of the good bacteria in your stomach has been killed by the antibiotic use. You can also try upping your intake of nutrient dense foods to calm the inflammation going on with your skin. Turmeric, cinnamon, beets, leafy greens, carrots etc. are all great. One last thing is that when I took fish oil it broke me out like nothing I've ever seen! It took a few weeks to happen. I wasn't prone to cystic breakouts and I got them all over my face, especially on the chin! The flax seed oil might be doing the same thing to you. I would lay off that for a while until you know it isn't affecting you.

Also, have you changed anything in your skin/diet regimen recently? Looking at your signature it seems like you are doing lot's of good things but maybe it is something you have added in recently that is reflecting the change in your skin? That could also be combined with the stress causing what is happening now. In any case, it won't last forever and if you were 95% clear before I'm sure you can and will get back to that, just give it time. Tamanu oil really helps take down inflammation if you use it to spot treat. Take care!

Oh! Also, do you take fiber? This is something that has really helped me! If your digestion isn't working properly it can really reflect on the skin because all of the toxins are just sitting in your body. Stress can cause changes in digestion. If you don't already, try taking some and see if it helps you.

Thank you so much everyone! I'm starting to feel better. Have started up again a daily regime that is soothing for me (forgot it during the holidays) --- yoga, walking, etc.

My diet is basically low glycemic, although I do eat some brown rice and potato. I have to eat some carbs because I lose too much weight on just vegies and meat. I can only eat berries because I'm fructose intolerant. I am working with a registered dietician on my diet and suppliments. I don't think it's a good idea to take such high doses of Vit A if using tretinoin cream since it is also a concentrated source of Vit A that is absorbed by the body. But my doctor prescribed a multi that has a rather high dose. They do not recommend high B5 since this throws the other B's out of balance and then you have to take a high B complex which has B6 that is known to cause acne. The doctor recommends eating high nutrient whole foods to get the right balance. The other vitamins I do take include high C, D, and zinc. This is recommended by the dietician as scientifically proven to help with acne.

The one thing that stands out to me in everything said above and one of the things that I changed...is that I started consuming a tablespoon or more of flaxseed meal a day. And I started eating a lot of nuts. I have cut out both because there seems to be so many people who have had trouble with flaxseed. I read somewhere that the problem is because the Omega 3 in it is a kind that isn't absorbed well by the body and something else in it is a problem but I can't remember what it is. According to Chinese medicine nuts are not good for people with acne...and so best to eat sparingly.

Sadly I've had acne for so long that I forget what works and doesn't work...and I remember now that years ago I tried flaxseed and had problems...same with peanut butter and nuts.

If I were to sum it up...I'd have to say that my system works best on a very simple diet...one similar to what native americans ate which is wild meats and fishes, gathered fresh greens and vegetables, tubors, berries and seeds, teas from native plants - spearmint, chamomile, etc. That's it.

I'm sad and depressed. This flare-up keeps going on and on and on. My derm refuses to give me any more antibiotics and instead put me on Oracea. Everytime I look in the mirror there is more swelling and more bumps. I just am getting over a bad one...very inflamed, infected, ugly...and now two more have come. All on my chin. Help...

I feel you on that one sistah. It sucks to not see the progress that you expect, especially when others on similar regimens respond much better and quicker. I am going through a similar emotional melt down (dealing with other health issues for both me and my family). First off, it's ok to feel sad - get it out, talk about, write about, post about it and then move on. Don't hold on to those negative feelings. Secondly, look at not being able to get on antibiotics as a blessing in disguise. It's universally known that antibiotics only temporarily stop the symptoms of acne but in the long run, they mess with your insides (the same with accutane - i took it 3 times and i am paying the price). Thirdly, give your topical time. I have been on my regimen for 10 weeks and things are at their worst. I hope it gets better but i won't know unless i give it at least 3 months minimum. You should do the same. Fourthly, you sound as if you're doing well with diet. Continue to eat well and supplement (including a probiotic) and let your body work itself out. For me i know this could take months but even if my acne doesn't clear up, i'll be healthier for it.

Take a deep breath and breathe........life will get better with time, patience and persaverance.

Good luck hun!

Thank you so much everyone! I'm starting to feel better. Have started up again a daily regime that is soothing for me (forgot it during the holidays) --- yoga, walking, etc.

My diet is basically low glycemic, although I do eat some brown rice and potato. I have to eat some carbs because I lose too much weight on just vegies and meat. I can only eat berries because I'm fructose intolerant. I am working with a registered dietician on my diet and suppliments. I don't think it's a good idea to take such high doses of Vit A if using tretinoin cream since it is also a concentrated source of Vit A that is absorbed by the body. But my doctor prescribed a multi that has a rather high dose. They do not recommend high B5 since this throws the other B's out of balance and then you have to take a high B complex which has B6 that is known to cause acne. The doctor recommends eating high nutrient whole foods to get the right balance. The other vitamins I do take include high C, D, and zinc. This is recommended by the dietician as scientifically proven to help with acne.

The one thing that stands out to me in everything said above and one of the things that I changed...is that I started consuming a tablespoon or more of flaxseed meal a day. And I started eating a lot of nuts. I have cut out both because there seems to be so many people who have had trouble with flaxseed. I read somewhere that the problem is because the Omega 3 in it is a kind that isn't absorbed well by the body and something else in it is a problem but I can't remember what it is. According to Chinese medicine nuts are not good for people with acne...and so best to eat sparingly.

Sadly I've had acne for so long that I forget what works and doesn't work...and I remember now that years ago I tried flaxseed and had problems...same with peanut butter and nuts.

If I were to sum it up...I'd have to say that my system works best on a very simple diet...one similar to what native americans ate which is wild meats and fishes, gathered fresh greens and vegetables, tubors, berries and seeds, teas from native plants - spearmint, chamomile, etc. That's it.

glad it is going well! I am doing the microdermabrasions as well and they are AWESOME! I have problems with nuts too, all of them(so far that I can see) especially almonds.. how weird.. they "feel" like they should all be good for us, oh well.. good luck:)

cvd,

You're not alone. I just got over a terrible breakout myself. cystic acne for the first time. Raw honey/asprin helped bring them unclog and come to a head faster. I think an ACV/asprin/tea tree oil toner has been working too. I started on some alpha hydrox products and they seem to be REALLY working. hope it gets better for u. :)

Thanks for all of the support...it means a lot and helped me get through this flare-up. My skin is finally calming down. I think the meds are kicking in (Oracea + Spiro --- almost 3 weeks into taking them) and I stopped the flaxseed meal and nuts last week. My skin almost immediately got less oily after that (...wierd...). In a couple of weeks I start monthly microdermabrasions which my new derm swears will make my skin much better overall. I'm so very thankful there are ways to deal with this.