Notifications
Clear all

Best Makeup For Acne Prone Skin

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 01/22/2012 6:06 pm

I've been using Clinique acne solutions and I just think my skin is too sensitive for it. I have acne prone skin so I'm wondering what makeup other acne-prone girls use? Can be drug store or more high end makeup, any ideas?!

MemberMember
(@riceballinafruitsbasket)

Posted : 01/25/2012 10:15 pm

I've used mineral make-up (bare escentuals and Physicians Forumla) with success. I can't stand the way liquid foundation feels on my skin (even though the coverage is better). Mineral make-up doesn't break me out/irritate my skin, but I know that it does for some people.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 01/25/2012 10:37 pm

Mineral makeup.

MemberMember
(@titoziot)

Posted : 01/26/2012 11:37 am

Sephora has this amazing primer/gel lotion tinted thing from Perkect (link below). I use it after moisturizer. It's a bit pricey (57$ for an ouncehuh.png ), but feels great on - smooth and comforting, not heavy at all. The coverage is kinda light - like a tinted moisturizer, but the texture of it is WAY better. Pat it on your face, rather than smearing it on.

I use it underneath Revlon's Colourstay or New Complexion liquid foundation (they have one for combo skin), applied with a wet sponge, on the areas that still need some cover. Then maybe some concealer, and powder. Finish off with ELF Makeup Mist (3$ at any drugstore).

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P119802&categoryId=B70

MemberMember
(@ukulala)

Posted : 01/26/2012 12:13 pm

I'm trying out a new mineral brand (Faerie organics), as the one I *was* using, I just realized, was breaking me out! So I can tell you how it works for me. Ordered a sample kit ... we'll see!

In general, I'm more of a fan of mineral powders, yes - I agree that liquid foundations and the like just make me feel icky.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/28/2012 1:28 am

Has anyone broken out from using Lancome Tient Miracle yet? :)

My mom was going to buy it for me for Valentines Day, but I am worried... though no one has said it has made their acne worse. I just have oily skin, so it worries me. And I don't want her to pay a lot of money if it causes break outs.

Btw: I am 18. :)

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 01/28/2012 3:52 am

...best make up is no make up at all...especially to us acne sufferers.... my dermatologist flat out said to me to just stop using any kind of make up.

...still continuing the fight against acne...... been seeing my doctor for 5months now.... next visit in 2weeks time..... what will be my condition then?i still don't know..but i'm hoping and praying that this too shall pass!!!!!

MemberMember
(@sunshine41)

Posted : 01/28/2012 7:21 am

The only foundation that didn't cause me acne or redness was Maybelline Mineral Powder. Unfortunalty I'm very white and the shades don't fit me. The lightest shade is too dark for me.

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 01/28/2012 9:20 am

The best makeup is Makeup Forever. I use full cover concealer and matte velvet foundation. Both are non comedogenic and amazing! Worth spending the money, don't use that drugstore "mineral" crap!

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 01/30/2012 3:04 am

I agree with the above poster. Make Up For Ever is an amazing brand and their concealers/foundation are well worth the money. I use their Full Cover Concealer every day and don't know what I'd do without it. It covers very well, blends great, and stays on for a long time. Not to mention it's also non-comedogenic and waterproof!

It's a bit pricey (my concealer was $30) but for how much I use it and how long it's lasted, it's definitely worth the money!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)
MemberMember
(@titoziot)

Posted : 02/06/2012 1:22 am

Just wanna second that "dont buy the drugstore crap" post. I've wasted a good 100$ trying out different stuff that didn't work well for me at all. GO TO SEPHORA.

That store is my savior. Anything that you buy and dont like (yes, even if you open it and use it) they'll take as a return. The products are def more expensive - but youll save money in the end, and get something better out of it.

I went a month ago or so and the lady there tried a bunch of stuff with me. I was really pleasantly surprised that she was not at all wierded out or hesitant to touch my face (sounds a bit crazy, but usually getting up close to people with icky skin isn't what strangers do - especially pretty perfect skin ladies).

I did the online thing with them for a while, buying stuff that got good reviews, but I'm convinced you need to try stuff for yourself. It so depends on your skin type, color, how you apply makeup etc etc etc.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 02/06/2012 3:49 pm

I use Maybelline liquid minerals as a foundation with no problems at all, it looks really natural

I put it on on the train once infront of one of my friends and she immediately demanded to know what it was

cause it looked so natural on my skin once I applied it with my fingers so just to show an unbiased perspective...

recently broke out again, (I was clear using finacea but I had surgery so I had to miss showers /washes for 2 days and now 2 weeks later can still only shower once a day therefore I can only apply finacea after I wash my skin... anyway I am back to 2 applications now I am using facewipes i the evening....)

sooooo I have stepped up my makeup as I need more coverage:

I am using my foundation, clinique anti-acne concealor (my usual routine) AND now I am using mineral power ontop of that to seal it and add subtle coverage.

Today I bought a new non comodogenic primer (Loreal professional studios), I tried it this evening. Its like a mousey pink stuff but goes on unnoticably and beautifully.. so glad I can just grab this down the shops :D Feels like I am rubbing tiny velvety pearls over my skin ....

I got mine from boots xx

MemberMember
(@britta-peterson)

Posted : 05/29/2012 2:35 am

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

teetee89 liked
MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 05/30/2012 4:11 pm

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

So silly. Just because MAC didn't work for you doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else. There are many MAC products that I absolutely love and have used for years without any special problems.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/07/2012 12:24 pm

Everyday minerals.

But if you MUST have a liquid, covergirl CLEAN makeup is really nice. It doesn't look super heavy on the skin.

MemberMember
(@starlitskies)

Posted : 06/07/2012 1:02 pm

My skin breaks out VERY easily from any type of makeup I put on it. I was an avid Clinique user for quite some time, until I realized they were breaking me out quite a bit :(

However, I finally found a brand that doesn't break me out AT ALL! Alima Pure wub.png They're mineral foundation is honestly the best invention ever made. (I sound like a commercial :P) But really, it only has 3-4 ingredients, which my esthetician said they were all fine to use, and the coverage is anywhere from light-heavy depending on how you apply it! Plus, it's super easy to find a good foundation match because they have this "Ask the Artist" feature, where you put in a bunch of information about your skin and stuff, and they send you back 3-4 shades they think would work, so you buy the $1.50 samples and one of them is pretty much guaranteed to work.

Plus, their foundation comes in a very nice size, so it lasts a loooonnng time even though it's only $22!

Basically, I'm in love with Alima Pure wub.png

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 06/25/2012 11:36 pm

Everyday minerals.

But if you MUST have a liquid, covergirl CLEAN makeup is really nice. It doesn't look super heavy on the skin.

I agreenod.gif I've been using EM powder about a year and never had any problem.

Also I tried covergirl CLEAN today, and I love it! It's light, and I don't look caky. Plus my skin stayed matt all day!

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 06/30/2012 12:36 pm

......have not been using any kind of make-up since i had acne and i think it has helped a lot........ I just stuck out with the most mild cleansers and moisturizers ( heck i even make my own antibacterial toner)..... I just use a lot of lipbalm for my dry lips... Thats all.!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 06/30/2012 1:01 pm

I like Pur Minerals, it actually makes my skin look way nicer.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 07/02/2012 11:27 am

Everyday minerals.

I agreenod.gif I've been using EM powder about a year and never had any problem.

Also I tried covergirl CLEAN today, and I love it! It's light, and I don't look caky. Plus my skin stayed matt all day!

Have you tried the Clean Powder also? I LOVE IT! It sets undereye concealer so well!

MemberMember
(@natalieaj03)

Posted : 07/02/2012 11:50 am

I think mineral powder does it, it doesnt clog up as much and it provides quite some coverage. Ppl say no makeup is best but i went makeup free for a long time, my acne didnt get better but my self. Infidence went down the drain, plus i noticed i sweat more wen i dont have makeup on. Use makeup that doesnt irritate u! We need to look as good as possible!

MemberMember
(@rikke)

Posted : 07/13/2012 4:19 pm

I'm still hooked on Meow Cosmetics. Minerals. Been using them for years.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 07/14/2012 11:44 pm

Everyday minerals.

Have you tried the Clean Powder also? I LOVE IT! It sets undereye concealer so well!

I've been thinking of buying these covergirl clean products but was wondering what sort of coverage they give. Would someone be able to let me know?

MemberMember
(@fihe)

Posted : 07/15/2012 12:06 am

I like both mineral makeup, BB creams, and light liquid foundations. I like The All Natural Face's mineral foundation, Physicians Formula airbrushing powder, Skin79 Hot Pink Label, Missha Perfect Cover, Holika Holika Petit Clearing, Cover Girl Natureluxe (though there's no /exact/ shade for my skin tone), and Tarte Smooth Operator tinted moisturizer. I've used a ton of mineral makeup brands like Everyday Minerals, Alima, Meow Cosmetics, Monav©, and Lucy Minerals, but was never able to find a perfect match. there are too many different shades! The All Natural Face also has a ton of colors but they have extensive sample kits for cheap, so I was able to find a match wink.png just make sure with any makeup you use to clean your brushes often!