Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
limpbizkitfan

Restriction Diet And Losing Too Much Weight

I want to go on a strict acne diet to slowly find out what foods cause acne. The diet I am thinking of doing is shredded iceberg cabbage, shredded carrots, and shredded red cabbage salad everyday for a period of 1 to 2 weeks.

The problem is that I am already really skinny and have no excess body fat at all, so is this diet going to cause me to lose weight? I don't want to lose any weight. But, I heard that ppl that are already skinny don't lose weight very easily like overweight people do.

Would I need to add in avacadoes? Or just eat a lot of salad throughout the day? I'm scared if I add avacadoes I might be intollerant to them and this restriction diet would be doing nothing.

Please give me any input on this, my parents don't want me to get an intolerance test and I sure don't have the money to take it. So I wanted to do a restriction diet instead.

you would need to eat salad all day long to get enough calories. That really isn't how you do it.

Choose from these hypoallergenic foods:

http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2400195

How many calories would I need? And is 931 enough calories?

I have never in my life followed the 2,000 calorie diet and have always stayed the same weight

p.s. Thanks for the link, it really helped

Edited by limpbizkitfan

Healthy fats; Evoo, coconut oil, plenty of avacados might be your only choice with that restrictive of a diet. Taking a good quality multi wouldn't be a bad idea, depending on how long you stick to those foods.

Edited by Likethesun

Dairy isn't the only food on planet Earth that has calcium.

Depending on how much processing the dairy goes through and the source, it's also a shitty to moderate source of calcium. Pasteurized and homogenized conventional milk is the worst and raw unpasteurized fermented dairy is about as good as it's going to get. Goats milk is also less problematic on the whole than cow's milk.

Get calcium from fish, certain cuts of meat, nuts, seeds and some starchy veggies like turnips and broccoli. Many leafy greens have calcium too, but it's bound to oxalate so we can't absorb it efficiently.

P.S. the US has one of the highest intakes of calcium (from dairy) in the world and also, strangely enough, one of the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world as well. I assure you, it's not because people aren't drinking enough milk.

That's suppper interesting! Crazy how the media portrays milk as "building strong bones." It's practically ingraned in my brain lol.

I will just start getting calcium from other sources once my diet is over..

screw calcium.

imo what has worked for me are 2 things for certain. i take others and am still working on my regiment but these two have helped alot.

zinc picolinate (not sure on spelling)

and krill oil

acne is an inflammatory disease as they say on these boards. both of those help inflammation, zinc helps with healing and so much more. Krill oil is a fish oil but better than fish oil (according to recent studies).

so my advise is to take 50mgs of zinc daily (maybe up it to 100mg for a short time as like less than a month) and krill oil x2 a day (500mg).

megadosing is not advised, even though i have in the past, its not safe and can have lasting affects. i've done loads of research on the these and other forums. my advise is to find out what triggers you, what type you have, and what works best. after that than you can start building a regiment.

it takes time... i started my fight 4 years ago. i peaked (for the worst) back in sept of 011. its taken since then to get to where i am now.. which is some marks left over and few breakouts do to my own fault (sweating from excercising and eating sugary foods etc)

As others have said, milk is a poor source of calcium. Of course the "got milk" commercials will try and make you think otherwise. They're selling milk!

Leafy greens, and pretty much all green veggies are good sources.

Also there is no reason you have to eat such a limited salad for that long. Try just limiting all the major allergens and eating a healthy diet based on fruits and vegetables instead. Then you can "fine tune" things to see how individual fruits and veggies might effect your skin. When you get clear this way, test other things such as soy or gluten to see how you react if you're interested in still eating them.

^ I agree with them, paleo diet contains enough calcium

When i was on a strict paleo diet, i lost around 6-8 lbs in 1 month, even though i ate a loot of fruit, its just hard to get enough calories from it. The good thing is it totally worthed it, i found my acne triggers, such as avocados, quinoa, some fruits, etc. Now im gaining muscle pretty fast, eating tons of sweet potatoes and brown pasta. Experiment with yourself, you can try: nuts, avocados, sweet potatoes, yams, quinoa, amaranth, brown rice, oatmeal, etc

As others have said, milk is a poor source of calcium. Of course the "got milk" commercials will try and make you think otherwise. They're selling milk!

Also there is no reason you have to eat such a limited salad for that long. Try just limiting all the major allergens and eating a healthy diet based on fruits and vegetables instead. Then you can "fine tune" things to see how individual fruits and veggies might effect your skin. When you get clear this way, test other things such as soy or gluten to see how you react if you're interested in still eating them.

I tried but my skin just got worse and I couldn't figure out what what causing my breakouts because I was eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. So, I would rather do a controlled experiement where I go on a restricted diet and, once clear, add in a new type of food each week to find out precisesly what is causing my acne.

So far it's been two days and I haven't gotten any new breakouts. So it might work to clear me short term so I can find out what my triggers are and finally be clear for life. I honestly just want to see if it is safe for me to eat baked veggies w/ coconut oil and all the fruit i love and meat, those are the things I want to have in my permanent diet in the future.

When i was on a strict paleo diet, i lost around 6-8 lbs in 1 month, even though i ate a loot of fruit, its just hard to get enough calories from it. The good thing is it totally worthed it, i found my acne triggers, such as avocados, quinoa, some fruits, etc. Now im gaining muscle pretty fast, eating tons of sweet potatoes and brown pasta. Experiment with yourself, you can try: nuts, avocados, sweet potatoes, yams, quinoa, amaranth, brown rice, oatmeal, etc

How did you find out you were intollerant to avacados? And what type of fruit are you not able to eat?

I tried but my skin just got worse and I couldn't figure out what what causing my breakouts because I was eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. So, I would rather do a controlled experiement where I go on a restricted diet and, once clear, add in a new type of food each week to find out precisesly what is causing my acne.

So far it's been two days and I haven't gotten any new breakouts. So it might work to clear me short term so I can find out what my triggers are and finally be clear for life. I honestly just want to see if it is safe for me to eat baked veggies w/ coconut oil and all the fruit i love and meat, those are the things I want to have in my permanent diet in the future.

How did you find out you were intollerant to avacados? And what type of fruit are you not able to eat?

Im not exactly intolerant to avocados, fats just dont do any good to my skin. I suspect its because i had my gallbladder removed, its most important function is to make fats digestion easier, so that could be the cause. I found it out because i broke out after eating avocado, coconut and nuts, three sources of fat. However, i notice i dont breakout with red meat, something contradictory but im happy it doesnt.

Fruits, i tried eating 20 pieces of it per day, i wasnt breaking too much but was still getting some big pimples every the every other day, maybe it was the avocados too, i dont really know but i cut them off until i dont get more breakouts. Im sticking to low gi fruits, such as green apples and berries, somethimes i drink a juice fruit made by my father or a piece of melon. The key is now combining fruit with protein and fats, if you eat fruit eat it alone or with oatmeal for example.

About the main topic, i forgot to tell you about L-glutamine, its an anticatabolic, bodybuilders take them to not lose muscle when they burn fat. Also, it repairs the gut, i highly recommend it if you dont want to lose weight

Edited by Chestercool

931 calories is hardly anything. I would eat the greens with dressing (olive oil, vinegar) for calories and then also add organic or grass-fed beef for good protein. Do this until clear and then add others foods.

I had the same problem, i was skinny to begin with before starting a paleo. I've lost 18 lbs and am now at 160, kind of low for my height (6'2). Been getting comments from friends about the weightloss and a few worried that i've been sick. I've since added organic brown rice to my diet, if you've gotta eat grains rice is the best bet, it's the least inflammatory and contains many nutrients.

Edited by Antik

I had the same problem, i was skinny to begin with before starting a paleo. I've lost 18 lbs and am now at 160, kind of low for my height (6'2). Been getting comments from friends about the weightloss and a few worried that i've been sick. I've since added organic brown rice to my diet, if you've gotta eat grains rice is the best bet, it's the least inflammatory and contains many nutrients.

Same problem too. I look in the mirror and not only do i still have acne but i'm now incredibly thin from experimenting with diet, which for a guy of 25 is not a good look. I dont eat gluten/wheat and i find nuts/seeds hard to digest (otherwise these would be an amazing weapon in weight gain). I eat eggs/avocados/ full fat yogurt (often an entire 500 g pot a day) and still cant put on weight dammit. I sometimes eat bars of carob chocolate too (dairy and soya free) and nothing seems to help. Very frustrating :-(

Same problem too. I look in the mirror and not only do i still have acne but i'm now incredibly thin from experimenting with diet, which for a guy of 25 is not a good look. I dont eat gluten/wheat and i find nuts/seeds hard to digest (otherwise these would be an amazing weapon in weight gain). I eat eggs/avocados/ full fat yogurt (often an entire 500 g pot a day) and still cant put on weight dammit. I sometimes eat bars of carob chocolate too (dairy and soya free) and nothing seems to help. Very frustrating whistling.gif(

Both of those should be indications that you're doing it wrong.

Same problem too. I look in the mirror and not only do i still have acne but i'm now incredibly thin from experimenting with diet, which for a guy of 25 is not a good look. I dont eat gluten/wheat and i find nuts/seeds hard to digest (otherwise these would be an amazing weapon in weight gain). I eat eggs/avocados/ full fat yogurt (often an entire 500 g pot a day) and still cant put on weight dammit. I sometimes eat bars of carob chocolate too (dairy and soya free) and nothing seems to help. Very frustrating whistling.gif(

Both of those should be indications that you're doing it wrong.

I know that i'm doing it wrong, thats not really a revelation, the problem is 'how to do it right?'.

It's hard to strike that balance. I avoided common food triggers for a month, and then added one thing at a time. After I figured out what caused my breakouts I tried to find more triggers, hoping to find them all so I can know what's safe and what's not. I lost about 15 pounds on my acne diet. I've been gaining it back though which is great, and entirely necessary. 110lbs at 5'7" is not a good look! Finding balance is key, but it's so rewarding once you get there. Now that I know generally what my "safe" foods are, I try to consume lots of them. I've been trying a new approach this week of eating whatever it is that I crave. I'm at a point now that I don't crave junk, I crave fruits, vegetables, chick peas, sometimes quinoa, sweet potatoes, berries, salad, and especially apples with almond butter (unsalted, the just almonds kind of course). From what I've read this might be my body craving the nutrients it needs.

In my opinion, your diet is not going to provide you with enough nutrients to be able to make a positive difference in your skin. Although you're avoiding common triggers, you're also not giving your body the things that it needs to function. This could actually show negatively on your skin, the exact opposite effect you want it to have. Try adding green smoothies at least so you're getting some nutrients. You can load them with wonderful things like avocados, spinach, spirulina, kale, kiwis, apple, etc. Under 1000 calories a day is most definitely not enough for you!

110lbs at 5'7" is not a good look!

That's funny, those are my exact dimensions. I think I look healthy and filled out at that weight though. It depends a lot on your bone size. I have a teeny petite frame. Bigger boned girls can look anorexic at my weight.

110lbs at 5'7" is not a good look!

That's funny, those are my exact dimensions. I think I look healthy and filled out at that weight though. It depends a lot on your bone size. I have a teeny petite frame. Bigger boned girls can look anorexic at my weight.

Maybe it looks okay on you, but definitely not on me. I've got a tiny frame as well. It could be because I've seen myself at healthier weights before though. I've always been small, and felt a lot better about myself around 120lbs than I do now. A size two feels better to me than having size zero be too big, which I'm struggling with right now. It's at the point where one of the women at the loose leaf tea store I go to daily on break at work has commented and told me I shouldn't lose any more weight.

That's good that you feel confident at these dimensions, it's just too small for me! I lose weight first from my waist and then from my hips, while my chest stubbornly stays at an e cup.. Part of my issue is probably that I maintain a lot of weight there and lose it everywhere else, making me look disproportionately skinny.