Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zitmonster

Benzoyl Peroxide Side Effects

I have been using benzoyl peroxide 10% acne gel for about 10 years. I'm now 28, and I still get zits now and then, but the medication has done a great job in controlling my acne. I have also had very few side effects other than dry skin.

My may concern is the potential side effects of the medication due to long-term usage. My dermatologist says there are none, but I see some stuff on-line that says it may be a tumor promoter. Has anyone be using this medication for a long time or have information on the potential long-term usage side-effects. Secondly, does anyone have a good plan on getting off the medication. Should it be done by putting it on less frequently, slowly weening off the medication.

Thanks in advance for any info.

From what I know, there have been no studies that have conclusively linked benzoyl peroxide to cancer...people have been using it as a treatment for acne for ages and nothing has happened to them. And I don't see why you'd need a plan to get off BP! Just stop using it once you think you've cleared.

BP has been linked to premature skin ageing and something else i remember reading back when i considered using it.

Ever wonder why you go red with it when you use to much,or why your skin goes ultra dry or flakes?...because it's really TOO POWERFUL to apply to your skin daily.

TRUST ME,there is better alternatives than messing with your skin in the way your doing atm!

BP has been linked to premature skin ageing and something else i remember reading back when i considered using it.

Ever wonder why you go red with it when you use to much,or why your skin goes ultra dry or flakes?...because it's really TOO POWERFUL to apply to your skin daily.

TRUST ME,there is better alternatives than messing with your skin in the way your doing atm!

Rather than straight up BP gel, I use Duac (which is a prescription combo gel: 5% BP, 1% Clindamycin). Works awesome...never been red once, since the first few days. And I have REALLY sensitive skin. I've only been using it about 6 months so I am not all that concerned about potential long-term side-effects at this point in time. But after I've been on it about a year, I'll consider something else (if I am still clear.) Don't want no stinkin' premature aging!!!!!! evil.gif

People online will be saying that BP causes skin cancer because it is a molecule containing specific subunits called Benzene rings - six carbons arranged into a circle shape.

Benzene on it's own is a carcinogen - a cancer causing chemical - but BP is chemically quite different from Benzene alone.

Saying BP causes cancer is really something that needs a lot of support, which, I'm sure, they didn't offer. However, since it contains Benzene rings, it might be a good place to look first.

Chemistry is a very flexible thing. One single hydrogen more or less can totally change the way a molecule behaves.

THe 'BP causes cancer' thing has been around for ages. It has been disproved before and I think in the regimen FAQ there is a link to some pages that disprove it (I think one of them is an official .gov page also).

THe 'BP causes cancer' thing has been around for ages.  It has been disproved before and I think in the regimen FAQ there is a link to some pages that disprove it (I think one of them is an official .gov page also).

I believe you should be thinking by now about some other medications because it seems that you suffer from this for too long. Eventhough Benzyol Peroxide is a great medication that definatly helps with acne and I think reduces the risks of having scars, you still should talk to your doctor to decide what other medication you can intake in addition to Benzoyl Peroxide.

Just rub lots of flaxseed and vitamin e oils on your skin. They are powerful anti-oxidants (anti CANCER) that help to stop or even reverse the aging process (a lot of my fine lines have vanished). They also moisterize which helps counteract the drying properties of the BP.

I have been using benzoyl peroxide 10% acne gel for about 10 years. I'm now 28, and I still get zits now and then, but the medication has done a great job in controlling my acne.  I have also had very few side effects other than dry skin.

My may concern is the potential side effects of the medication due to long-term usage.  My dermatologist says there are none, but I see some stuff on-line that says it may be a tumor promoter.  Has anyone be using this medication for a long time or have information on the potential long-term usage side-effects.  Secondly,  does anyone have a good plan on getting off the medication.  Should it be done by putting it on less frequently, slowly weening off the medication.

Thanks in advance for any info.