Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snsdgirl14

Epiduo/monodox Log

I've struggled with acne for years, but it has pretty much always been mild. 2 years ago I got a bad breakout of cystic pimples, but thankfully, within a few months that passed. I've never gone a certain amount of time without having some pimples or at least a little hyperpigmentation. Basically, my skin has never been FLAWLESS by any means, or even very good.

Near the middle of my first semester at college I started to break out on my cheeks. What was weird is that I don't remember having many active pimples there, just redness. It was easily covered by makeup so I didn't think much of it. When I went home for Thanksgiving and Christmas my mom was alarmed and wanted to bring me to a derm. She says it's never been this bad, and I have to agree.

The derm prescribed me Epiduo, Aczone Monodox, and this face wash called Claris. Monodox twice a day, Aczone in the morning, and Epiduo at night. However, after using the Aczone and Claris for a bit, the skin under my eyes got horribly swollen, red, and dry. I decided I must've had some sort of allergic reaction to the sulfur in both medications (not sure) so I stopped using them. I might start using them again, I'm not sure. Currently, I'm taking Monodox twice a day and using the Epiduo at night.

I'd still say my acne is moderate, not severe, but it's a bad breakout for me. I have red marks on my cheeks still which are flat, but currently dry which makes makeup look cakey on them. I have two active pimples and one cystic pimple on my forehead. I've been using the medications for about 2.5 weeks now, and I think I'm going through the "initial breakout" period. I think the red marks have actually begun to fade, but they're still frustrating because they make my skin look worse even though there's nothing there. The derm said it would take 4 - 6 weeks to begin to see improvement.

So, here's hoping that my skin improves on this regime.

So I think this week will be about the third week I've been on my regimen. Right now, I'm feeling still self conscious about my skin, but I'm keeping faith that it WILL get better and clear up. I honestly think the marks are beginning to fade - they used to be brighter red and are now fading to pink. Hopefully within the next two weeks I'll see some more improvement. I also am still getting some small pimples, but they're not too bad, nothing that looks too unsightly. I think my skin is nearing the end of its "purging" period so things can only get better from here, right?