Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theresasix

Please help...problems with mineral makeup :(

Hi ladies...

Well, it seems that almost everybody that I have come across has had great results with mineral makeup so I am wondering if I am the exception sad.gif

I have been wearing Philosophy's Complete Me for 5 days now and already I have several new break-outs with a couple of cystic ones that seem to be on their way. I am a little apprehensive and hoping that it's not this foundation, but it is the only "new" product that I have tried in over 3 months and since I have started wearing it my face has been extremely oily (oilier than usual). I know that there must be something that is not agreeing with my skin because although I am prone to break-outs I really never have cystic.

Can anyone offer any advice on negative experiences with minerals or what I should look for that would confirm that it is indeed this new makeup? Although I want to keep wearing the Complete Me to see if my face is just having an initial reaction...I am scared because I can't handle any more break-outs. Any and all help would be appreciated...thanks.

T

some goirls can't wear face makeup, im 27 now went through years of trying to find a good foundation. i never found one, if you ever hear of one that doesn't make you break out, let me know please. i now only use powder occasionally, mostly i stick to the clean and clear oil blotting papers and a little blush, good luck!

To understand why you have bad reaction to philosophy complete me, it is essential that you know what's in your makeup. And what make it different from other mineral make up.

Let's compare ingredient, shall we?

philosophy complete me high pigment mineral powder, spf 15

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide

Inactive Ingredients: Mica, Silica, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Bismuth Oxychloride, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Aromaleigh

Ingredients: Sericite mica, Titanium dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides

Jane Iredale

Active Ingredients

Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide

Inactive Ingredients

Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides.

Bare Escentuals

Titanium Dioxide 25%, Zinc Oxide 19.6% and other pure micronized minerals

No talc, oil, preservation, fragrance, dye

I think you can see that the more ingredients in your product, the more chance you'll get irritated by them.

I don't use philosophy product because I find them to be quite gimmicky, IMO of course.

Too expensive for such small amount of product.

Overal quality is rather standard.

I couldn't bring myself to buy them. (I tried but not successful. I always go back to my usual stuff.)

Real...

I wish I could go without wearing makeup...lucky you! Unfortunately, I consistently break-out and have got to wear something to cover my many imperfections and blemishes. I too am on the search to find a foundation that will not make my skin worse...no luck yet.

Sparty...

First, let me start by saying thanks for posting the various brands and their ingredients...very helpful! When I started "researching" mineral foundations to determine which one to try, I was a little hesitant with Philosophy for the same reason that you brought up. The higher number of ingredients versus virtually all of the other brands. I went ahead and tried it though because of the instant gratification of being able to just walk in a store and sample it versus some of the others that have to be ordered online. I do agree with you that I'm not exactly a fan of the Philosophy line either. It seems that it is advertised as much more natural than what it really is...i.e. all the preservatives and such that is found in Complete Me compared to Alpha, BE, etc. But, I thought that I would go ahead and give it a try just to see how mineral compared to liquid.

So, now I don't know if my skin is just not working with all the ingredients or mineral as a whole. Is it possible to have such a bad reaction so quickly (5 days)? And do you think I should give up on mineral and go back to liquid?

Sparty, have you tried mineral and what have your experiences been?

Thanks for the info...as always you gals are the best biggrin.gif

T

I got my face done with Bare Escentuals makeup couple times in the past but I'm not into mineral make up product that much. It didnt' give me any break out or anything. I just don't feel like using something I don't need to. As far as foundation goes, I still prefer my normal Laura Mercier powder foundation.

Sparty...

Thanks for all your help! How is the LM powder foundation different than the oil-free? I tried the LM before...found a pretty good shade...but the oil-free's texture was just "too drying" almost and I could never get it to look natural. I have been wondering what the powder's texture is like and if it is appropriate for combination skin (with break-outs). It's the one in the tube isn't it? Thanks again smile.gif

T

i'm not sparty, but i hope this helps a bit...

LM foundation powder is not in a tube but a compact.

-best for oily skin

-provides more coverage than liquid foundation(low to high coverage)

-shine control

-texture is light weight/fine/soft

you can use it with the dry puff for shine control, touch-up or with a wet sponge which will offer better coverage.

LM oil-free foundation

-its oil free, non drying

-natural looking

-buildable coverage(damp sponge for a light coverage or dry for more)...i use my fingers. biggrin.gif

-a little goes a long way

-high pigments

thats kind of odd....the texture of LM oil free being dry for you. i love the oil free foundation. but different folks..different strokes..lol.....the thing with foundation is....prepping your skin is pretty important. dead skin cells(flaky skin) and not having your skin well moisten can cause any foundation to look like poo. its hard with acne prone skin and of course active acne. combination skin is tough....perhaps you should get a sample of both the oil free and powder foundations to see which works best again...or use the tinted moisturizer as a base and the LM powder foundation on areas that need more coverage and shine control.

It seems mineral make-ups make me oily too. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen. People are always saying, "you can sleep in it."

I have tried BE, JI, aromaleigh, and Alpha. And yes, I am a glutton for punishment. wink.gif

I've heard from some people on the message board I read & post on at Delphi that some mineral makeups increase their oil production, and it's usually the brands that have Titanium Dioxide as the primary (first or one of the first) ingredient. Brands like Cory Cosmetics, which are heavy in Titanium Dioxide, can have the beneficial effects of acting as a sunscreen and absorbing oil, but it can be drying to some people, and interestingly enough, when you dry up too much of the oil in your face, your skin may respond by producing even more oil to counteract that. For many, Titanium Dioxide is no problem, but for some, it seems to absorb the oil in a way that can make your face an oil slick.

So if you have oily skin, it might be good not to try to fight nature so hard and dry up *too* much of the oil, or you may have to avoid brands that have higher amounts of Titanium Dioxide. OR, you could try switching off between a high Titanium Dioxide brand (like Cory) and one that isn't so heavy on TD, perhaps Evan's Garden or Glymagic or Kathy Duncan's Colorlab Minerals. There are many brands out there that have several different formulations, and it's relatively inexpensive to try them out (unless you have to get international shipping, I'd imagine).

Also, you may want to make sure you moisturize or try a serum with essential oils that will hydrate your skin and counteract any drying effects from the Titanium Dioxide. And again, I can't say enough how helpful the mineral makeup forums can be at Delphi Forums. Here's a link to the search results on Delphi for "mineral makeup." There are brand-specific forums as well as the general makeup boards listed, and if you have a question and post it on the forums, within no time you'll have people helping you out and giving advice. IMO, mineral makeup is the most natural looking makeup there is, and although there's a learning curve, to me, it's worth it not to feel like I'm wearing a rubber mask when I have my makeup on. And nothing covers better in my experience. smile.gif

~Kat

Hi ladies...

Well, it seems that almost everybody that I have come across has had great results with mineral makeup so I am wondering if I am the exception  sad.gif

I have been wearing Philosophy's Complete Me for 5 days now and already I have several new break-outs with a couple of cystic ones that seem to be on their way.  I am a little apprehensive and hoping that it's not this foundation, but it is the only "new" product that I have tried in over 3 months and since I have started wearing it my face has been extremely oily (oilier than usual).  I know that there must  be something that is not agreeing with my skin because although I am prone to break-outs I really never have cystic.

Can anyone offer any advice on negative experiences with minerals or what I should look for that would confirm that it is indeed this new makeup?  Although I want to keep wearing the Complete Me to see if my face is just having an initial reaction...I am scared because I can't handle any more break-outs.  Any and all help would be appreciated...thanks.

T