Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry for this post because it isn't going to be helpful or useful to anyone, I just need to write stuff down because I don't know what else to do.

My acne is really, really starting to bother me. I've had it since 6th grade, I'm in 9th now, and although my acne isn't severe, it's one of the worst cases in my grade and definitely the worst among my friends, most of whom have none at all. But mine's very bad. I really want to see a dermatologist, but I just can't talk to my parents about this stuff! I asked last summer if I could and my mom said yes but then she hasn't done anything about it/ said anything about it since then. That was already humiliating enough. You would think, as I thought, that after asking my mom if I could see a derm, if I had to ask again it wouldn't be so hard. But no, there is no way I want to ask again. But just face wash and home remedies and stuff isn't helping enough! I'm even embarrassed just when I ask my mom to get me more of my face wash at the store! I'm scared my acne will just get worse and I'll be one of those people still acne ridden my entire life! I used to think acne always went away after puberty and stuff but after joining acne.org I know it isn't true and many people suffer through adulthood. I really don't want that to be me! I'm pretty sure even if all my acne were to disappear right now I'd have some lifelong scars anyway so I'm already for sure dealing with this the rest of my life; I don't want it to be worse! In my opinion it's worse being a girl with acne than a guy because for guys no one socially really cares, but literally almost NONE of the girls at my school has more than 1 or 2 pimples. Whereas I have a face full of them.

And whenever I'm feeling sad about my acne I sort of take it out on my parents and the rest of my life. My parents just think I'm rude and don't want to spend time with them but I'm just on here looking up stuff about acne and being too embarrassed to go outside and walk my dogs or do the other things they ask me too. And I honestly wouldn't procrastinate or waste time on the internet if I had a clear face.

Sorry for bad grammar and stuff, I usually talk very professionally and maturely on here so people won't think I'm immature because of my age but I just can't bother with it right now.

I remember feeling pretty embarrassed in my early teens when my acne started, about asking for products and stuff like that, but I eventually decided that I didn't really have much choice. It was never as difficult or as awkward as I made it out to be. Same with visiting my doctor to ask for antibiotics and things like that. I put that off for quite a long time and still don't like going now, but they don't mind and they've seen it before.

If your skin's bothering you to the point where it's getting you down and stopping you from doing the things you'd normally do and enjoy, it's time to do something about your skin. Certainly worth talking to your parents about it so that you can arrange to see a dermatologist and so on. Sure, it's easy for me to write that as if it's no big deal for you, but it's the best thing to do in the long run. Start out by telling them what you've just told us here and go from there. The sooner you can bring things under control, the less likely your acne might be to continue on into adulthood. Speaking of which, don't worry yourself about what may or may not happen in the future, best to focus on dealing with things as they currently are and taking those positive steps towards fixing it. smile.png

I second what Paul has said, definitely speak to your parents again. Sit them down. Express to them how you feel, and tell them that you would really like to spend more time with them and that you don't mean to be rude. Please don't feel embarrassed about speaking up. Acne isn't a terrible disease, we make a much bigger deal out of it (understandably, since we have to deal with it personally) than most other people do. Before I went to see the dermatologist, my skin was at its absolute worst and I always put on a front - my parents didn't think it was a big deal because I never made a big deal about it - but I burst into tears in front of my dad. He's usually kind of stoic, but he hugged me and told me he would help me because he could see that it was in fact really hurting me. Your parents will want what's best for you, especially if they're the type who want to spend lots of time with you. :nod:

No time like the present to act... ;)

I didn't think your post was immature at all. Everybody needs to just put the contents of their heads down sometimes, just to make sense of it all.

I understand how you feel, it's very frustrating. And I especially understand how you feel that acne is worse for girls than guys. Maybe it's just the fact that we're girls, but I feel like less girls suffer from acne and more guys do, making it just more 'accepted' for guys to have acne. Not that I'm downplaying it for guys; it's awful for anyone.

Tell your parents how important it is to you to start treating it. Acne is, after all, a disease (a common one) and the only way it'll improve is if you treat it. Going to a derm doesn't have to be as troublesome or expensive as they might think; insurance can cover a lot of medications.

hey im in the grade below you so i understand what your going through. you need to see a derm! honestly, the only thing thats ever helped my skin has been seeing a derm, and I really, really think you should beg your mom to take you, no matter how uncomfortable asking makes you feel! But try not to worry bout your skin too much, some of the prettiest girls i know have acne smile.png

Edited by wishing2Bclear

If your skin's bothering you to the point where it's getting you down and stopping you from doing the things you'd normally do and enjoy, it's time to do something about your skin. Certainly worth talking to your parents about it so that you can arrange to see a dermatologist and so on. Sure, it's easy for me to write that as if it's no big deal for you, but it's the best thing to do in the long run. Start out by telling them what you've just told us here and go from there. The sooner you can bring things under control, the less likely your acne might be to continue on into adulthood. Speaking of which, don't worry yourself about what may or may not happen in the future, best to focus on dealing with things as they currently are and taking those positive steps towards fixing it. smile.png

Thanks for replying. This really persuaded me into wanting to take control over my acne. :)

I second what Paul has said, definitely speak to your parents again. Sit them down. Express to them how you feel, and tell them that you would really like to spend more time with them and that you don't mean to be rude. Please don't feel embarrassed about speaking up. Acne isn't a terrible disease, we make a much bigger deal out of it (understandably, since we have to deal with it personally) than most other people do. Before I went to see the dermatologist, my skin was at its absolute worst and I always put on a front - my parents didn't think it was a big deal because I never made a big deal about it - but I burst into tears in front of my dad. He's usually kind of stoic, but he hugged me and told me he would help me because he could see that it was in fact really hurting me. Your parents will want what's best for you, especially if they're the type who want to spend lots of time with you. nod.gif

No time like the present to act... wink.png

I didn't think your post was immature at all. Everybody needs to just put the contents of their heads down sometimes, just to make sense of it all.

I do the exact same thing--I put up a front and pretend it doesn't bother me so my parents don't think it does. I know my parents want the best for me, they're wonderful people, and I feel sooo bad whenever I talk back or act irritable to them just because my acne's making me feel terrible. I think I will ask my parents again-- I'm not sure I'm ready to sit down with and pour out my feelings to two people who grew up with perfect skin, but I will ask if I can see a dermatologist and explain that my skin really bothers me.

I understand how you feel, it's very frustrating. And I especially understand how you feel that acne is worse for girls than guys. Maybe it's just the fact that we're girls, but I feel like less girls suffer from acne and more guys do, making it just more 'accepted' for guys to have acne. Not that I'm downplaying it for guys; it's awful for anyone.

Yeah, I feel the same way. It seems more accepted for guys to have it than girls. I'm glad to hear someone else feels that way too. :)

hey im in the grade below you so i understand what your going through. you need to see a derm! honestly, the only thing thats ever helped my skin has been seeing a derm, and I really, really think you should beg your mom to take you, no matter how uncomfortable asking makes you clear! But try not to worry bout your skin too much, some of the prettiest girls i know have acne smile.png

Thank you so much for replying, somehow the fact that you're my age really inspires me to do what you did and go to the derm :)

Thank you guys so much for replying, you guys did change my mind, and I'll try to ask my parents no matter how embarrassing, because honestly I don't want to live the rest of my life feeling sad about my skin and mad at myself for not taking charge and doing something about it.

I have had really severe acne too and I suffered socially from it. The people who are going to judge ANYONE based on how much acne they have are people you don't want to interact with in the first place. The trick is to make your personality and kindness overcome anything else, suffocate everything with kindness and I promise you it wouldn't matter if you had a second head, people will like you. Looks are only for first impressions, personality is what truly defines someone.