Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

Will Saw Palmetto/beta-Sitosterol Cause Weight Gain/increase Estrogen?

curious. someone said it increases estrogen = more weight. but i read on a quick google search that it actually lowers estrogen effects now im really confused :/

Interesting.. I took saw palmetto, it got me little bit clear, but I did notice weight loss, but I'm not saying saw palmetto is the one to be blame but when I took saw palmetto is when I start seeing this weight loss.

But saw palmetto basically should block the conversion of testosterone into a hormone, DHT, which should enhance estrogen.

It decreases DHT, which may indirectly raise estrogen, but it may also increase free testosterone. Depends on your wiring. Saw Palmetto itself is a phytoestrogen, but less severe than soy.

Although extra estrogen if you're a female often times has only benefits (bigger/better hair, skin, nails and breasts) too much estrogen increases your risk of estrogen-dependent cancers by a significant amount.

Maybe. There have been some reports of females breast enlarging or thinning out from Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto blocks the reception of DHT, it does not inhibit its production. It will not increase estrogen, however there will be more estrogen than DHT present. Nettle Root Extract inhibits the enzyme used in the production of DHT, which has also been reported to increase breast size, but not increase weight.

It decreases DHT, which may indirectly raise estrogen, but it may also increase free testosterone. Depends on your wiring. Saw Palmetto itself is a phytoestrogen, but less severe than soy.

Although extra estrogen if you're a female often times has only benefits (bigger/better hair, skin, nails and breasts) too much estrogen increases your risk of estrogen-dependent cancers by a significant amount.

ive kinda been wanting to try it because the lowest dose of spiro was so effective im wanting to look into other things that have anti-androgen properties and this one always gets mentioned. im a little confused now though haha, ive been avoiding soy because everyone says to do so, but why would SP clear so many people if its like soy and soy = bad? one can only assume free testosterone is bad news. oh man. not sure what to do >.<

Maybe. There have been some reports of females breast enlarging or thinning out from Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto blocks the reception of DHT, it does not inhibit its production. It will not increase estrogen, however there will be more estrogen than DHT present. Nettle Root Extract inhibits the enzyme used in the production of DHT, which has also been reported to increase breast size, but not increase weight.

ive never seen nettle root extract in my health food shop, would that be 'better' than SP do you know?

I have never tried nettle root extract personally, however, I know many people (both males and females) take it to prevent baldness. DHT is also the source cause of baldness (as well as acne). I would say either of them will be fine. I would recommend saw palmetto, nettle root extract and red clover (does not involve DHT, however is great for healthy skin). I take saw palmetto with my regular multi-vitamin, I no longer have acne and did not have acne when I started using saw palmetto (540mg). I have noticed a more evened toned to my skin, more glow, not dull, and never oily (but I never had issues with oily). Good luck