Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DreamKillers

Protein Supplements

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or advice concerning which protein supplements to take when building muscle?

I've read many articles about the relationship between acne and protein supplements and many people seem divided about the relationship.

Im concerned about breaking out again when using these products as my skin has been relatively clear for the last 3 or 4 years after taking 2 courses of ro-accutane.

However, as an aspiring military officer I know I need to build some muscles to aid me through the intensive training scheme,

Thanks.

if you want to gain weight, remember carbs are as important as protein. Im bulking up right now with a diet which doesnt break me out, it took some time though. I've tried many supplements, and they were the biggest reason of my acne, they spike insulin way too much. Also, contain dairy, gluten, soy, etc.

You can try eggs, oats, sweet potatoes, avocados, yams, nuts, coconut, tune, and of course, a lot of meat. I know is hard to eat being in the military, i hope you find the way to do it

if you want to gain weight, remember carbs are as important as protein. Im bulking up right now with a diet which doesnt break me out, it took some time though. I've tried many supplements, and they were the biggest reason of my acne, they spike insulin way too much. Also, contain dairy, gluten, soy, etc.

You can try eggs, oats, sweet potatoes, avocados, yams, nuts, coconut, tune, and of course, a lot of meat. I know is hard to eat being in the military, i hope you find the way to do it

Thanks for your reply. With my current lifestyle its very difficult to cook and eat maybe 5 or 6 meals a day to get the necessary carbohydrates and protein. This is why I thought protein supplements would be better. Someone has messaged me saying 100% gold standard natural whey protein with no artificial flavours is a good option. Have you tried this?

Try a vegan protein supplement. It may sound strange, but they source their protein from sources other than soy and dairy which can both cause acne breakouts. Mine is made by Progressive called the Harmonized Vegan Protein. It has yellow pea, brown rice, chia, cranberry seed and hemp proteins. Plus it doesn't break me out at all, and I take it daily.

Thanks for your reply. With my current lifestyle its very difficult to cook and eat maybe 5 or 6 meals a day to get the necessary carbohydrates and protein. This is why I thought protein supplements would be better. Someone has messaged me saying 100% gold standard natural whey protein with no artificial flavours is a good option. Have you tried this?

I don't know about that brand, but 100% whey protein seems like it would be the least likely whey protein shake to break you out. I broke out from Isomass Xtreme Gainer, but it had all kinds of added ingredients, like creatine and omega oils, so I don't know which thing in it broke me out. So I think it would be best to use a protein shake with no extra ingredients, like 100% whey protein.

Like Jennifer said, there are protein shakes with different sources of protein, like rice protein, but I don't know how well they work, and they might be expensive.

Try a vegan protein supplement. It may sound strange, but they source their protein from sources other than soy and dairy which can both cause acne breakouts. Mine is made by Progressive called the Harmonized Vegan Protein. It has yellow pea, brown rice, chia, cranberry seed and hemp proteins. Plus it doesn't break me out at all, and I take it daily.

I have never come across a vegan protein supplement before. Where could this be purchased? Also, how effective do you think it is? Its encouraging to here that it doesn't make your skin break out.

I don't know about that brand, but 100% whey protein seems like it would be the least likely whey protein shake to break you out. I broke out from Isomass Xtreme Gainer, but it had all kinds of added ingredients, like creatine and omega oils, so I don't know which thing in it broke me out. So I think it would be best to use a protein shake with no extra ingredients, like 100% whey protein.

Like Jennifer said, there are protein shakes with different sources of protein, like rice protein, but I don't know how well they work, and they might be expensive.

Hi Omivium. Do you use any protein supplements at the moment?

No, I'm not using a protein supplement right now. I can't risk breaking out any more than I already am. I have a jar of 100% whey protein that is really tempting to try, but I need to improve my skin first.

Vegetable protein is kinda ehh in comparison. Whey will always be your best option, if tolerable. I'm going to highly recommend you ignore the other suggested brands and go with the one below. More protein for your $ and no added shit. The 5LB is the best deal of course.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=healthy+n+fit+vanilla&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9801656596053416932&sa=X&ei=YXUXT6T1LcaygwfNxJncAw&ved=0CIABEPMCMAM

Also, you don't need to eat 5-6 meals a day to gain or get fit. Look up leangains, or intermittent fasting. I recently started on it and it works absolutely amazingly. 16hr fast period/8 hr feeding period every day (obviously 8 of those fasting hours being sleep). It was easy for me to adjust to. You get the benefits of small-time fasting with burning fat and maintaining/gaining muscle at the same time. The website itself leangains.com has very informative and researched articles on the subject. I understand some can't commit to it, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Vegetable protein is kinda ehh in comparison. Whey will always be your best option, if tolerable. I'm going to highly recommend you ignore the other suggested brands and go with the one below. More protein for your $ and no added shit. The 5LB is the best deal of course.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CIABEPMCMAM

Also, you don't need to eat 5-6 meals a day to gain or get fit. Look up leangains, or intermittent fasting. I recently started on it and it works absolutely amazingly. 16hr fast period/8 hr feeding period every day (obviously 8 of those fasting hours being sleep). It was easy for me to adjust to. You get the benefits of small-time fasting with burning fat and maintaining/gaining muscle at the same time. The website itself leangains.com has very informative and researched articles on the subject. I understand some can't commit to it, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Hi Presh,

Is the brand you have suggested readily available in the UK? Also, what is your opinion on Whey protein?

I have been lifting weights religously for around four years now. I started out like most young guys, I was taking every supplement known to man (possibly the reason I started to develope moderate acne around age 20). After tons of research, trial and error i've found that saving that $30+ on protein powders was better spent buying better quality sources of protein, like two dozen more eggs than I may have already purchased, or grass fed beef and so on. I did not have to worry about the lastest supplement breaking me out and I got more nutritious meals out of deal. Just a suggestion.

Well I'm sure they ship it there. If by readily available you mean at stores, I'd doubt it.

As for my opinion, read this article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-egg-white-casein-pea-hemp-rice-protein-powder-supplement/#axzz1jrdr2t5C

If you're picking a whey the best is hydrolysate, followed by isolate. These contain the smallest "trace amounts" of lactose/casein/any other common dairy allergen/effector. The simple point is, if you can tolerate it whey will out-do any of the other proteins. Granted as above stated it's better to actually eat your protein rather than drink it in a shake, it's understandable under certain circumstances a shake's all you got.

Most vegetable proteins are very poorly absorbed, so I just stick with whey.

Agree with Phresh. Just want to say that although whey is dairy, it's not complete dairy and many people find they can tolerate whey much better than milk or cheese. If your whey breaks you out or gives you insane gas, it's a good indicator that you should probably switch to egg white protein (not as good as whey, but definitely better than any vegetable protein.)

Never heard of whey protein isolate or pure casein protein causing acne. Do research on the products. They should NOT have like 25 other vitamins and other crap in the ingredients if its a pure protein supliment. Buy from a "trusted" retailer like Whole Foods or Safeway because Whey protein Isolate and casein are regarded as suppliments so the regulations in the US aren't as strict. Don't take it with milk. Blend it with organic fruit and/or veg juice.

Drink LOTS of water if you'r megadosing on protein or glutamine or whatever type of suppliments ... at least 8 glasses duh.

I've heard that creatine causes acne, and on other hand that is helps fight acne, but also heard it shrinks your manhood so I just avoid it lol. Creatine does get people ripped though.

Avocados have a TON of great nutrients, proteins, and minerals that are GREAT for the skin and building lean muscle so eat more of those instead.

Off topic but since on the subject of fitness I'd like to add that I put on a 2% salacydic acid moisterizer from clean&clear before my workouts and it really helps exfoliate and clear my skin whilst I workout... Sweat is supposed to be a good exfoiliant on its own though. I only wipe it from my eyes because if you wipe it from your face its irritating and will cause zits.

I've noticed a definite correlation between whey protein and cystic acne in my own skin.

That said, I had a great bulking experience with Universal Labs Gain Fast 3100, in conjunction with a body building weight program. Maybe use this or something similar for a month or two and deal with the acne it causes, until you put on enough mass, then cut it. If you decide to go this route, you might as well go all out and get creatine, a nitrous oxide inhibitor, and pro hormones.

The best non acne causing protein I've found is egg white protein. Realistically, it sucks compared to a good whey protein for everything but the acne thing. It mixes horribly, it smells and tastes bad, and it doesn't provide anywhere near the 50g or so you can get with a good whey.

You can bulk up without supplements, it just won't be quite as fast. Eat lots of chicken!

Just saw you're trying to get through officer training. NM what I wrote above. You don't need to "bulk up" you just need to get FIT. Start eating right and do crossfit. If you can do the crossfit wod's as prescribed, you will have no problem acing your pft's.

Edited by rbamf

I would not listen to this guy either way ^^ hormone boosters and NO will fuck up your body. Creatine is good but I wouldn't take it everyday, maybe 2-3 times a week. Protein shakes are definitely not necessary to gain.