Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
travelzd

Can You Share A Reasonable Diet Plan/ Can Answer Some Conflicting Views?

I have read through this board and tried various diets on here, and aside from driving my grandma crazy , I haven't found something that

1) works

2) is not super expensive

3) is reasonable ( eatting just fruit is not reasonable)

I also keep getting conflicting views:

!) dairy is bad but probiotics are good and in dairy

2) meat is good- paleo diet/ meat is bad- vegan diet

3) soy/dairy/almonds all bad = then what am I supposed to drink with my coffee?

4) meat/soy/wheat/beans= all bad = what are you to eat as a protein

5)fruit is bad /fruit is good

I am so frustrated and I fear the grocery store because I no longer have any idea what to eat..I have a huge list of what not to eat and very little on the what TO eat side.

Edited by travelzd

I am so frustrated and I fear the grocery store because I no longer have any idea what to eat..I have a huge list of what not to eat and very little on the what TO eat side.

The reason they seem contradictory is because most of them are individual. Few of those foods are 'bad.' How bad they are for you is individual and depends on what else you do to yourself.

Dairy is bad, period, if you are intolerant to it. Otherwise, whether the benefits of the nutrients outweigh the negatives depends on the source/form of the dairy and how much you consume. Also, what else you do. Dairy contains hormones and stimulates the body to produce hormones that directly impact acne. But any high glycemic meal will stimulate the production of those hormones. Fermented is better than not, especially when it has live probiotics. Goat is better than cow. Pastured is better than grain fed. And unprocessed as possible is better than processed--pasteurized, homogenized, skimmed, etc.

Probiotics are good and don't only come from dairy products. Sauerkraut and kimchi are 2 common examples of lactofermented vegetables. Non dairy.

Meat and products from healthy pastured animals is generally good. But there are individual variances. And it's difficult to digest. If you have any issues, such as low HCL, probiotic impalance, malabsorption, etc. you need to address them. And perhaps take digestive enzymes.

The vegan diet might be ok for some so long as it doesn't consist of a lot of grain and soy based faux food. It needs to be based on a lot of non-grain plant foods. Also, it's extremely common to be intolerant to nuts, grains and legumes. And if you can't eat these sources of protein, then you need to eat a hell of a lot of food to get enough. Like all day. And you need to supplement b-12.

Almonds aren't bad unless you are intolerant to it. Replace your coffee with much more beneficial teas and your creamer problems are solved.

Fruit is not bad. A high glycemic impacting meal is bad, so pigging out on high sugar fruit is bad. Also, many people have difficulty metabolizing fructose, which can be improved with nutrients and habits. And of course, you need to avoid any fruit to which you are intolerant.

Eat real food. Lots of nutrient dense plant foods. Have pastured eggs, meats and fish. Avoid/limit grains, especially refined grains. Avoid hydrogenated/trans fats like crisco, margarine, oils from grains, oils heated beyond their smoking point, etc. This means avoiding almost all commercially prepared foods such as baked goods, fried foods, snack foods, etc.

Avoid high glycemic meals, drinks or snacks. Don't drink sugar.

Have more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory. The most anti-inflammatory foods are pretty much everything from a plant that isn't a seed--fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, teas... And omega 3 fat sources such as fish. Eggs from pastured chickens and meat from animals that eat their natural diet are also sources of omega 3 fats.

Edited by alternativista

The reason they seem contradictory is because most of them are individual. Few of those foods are 'bad.' How bad they are for you is individual and depends on what else you do to yourself.

Dairy is bad, period, if you are intolerant to it. Otherwise it depends on the source/form of the dairy and how much whether the benefits of the nutrients, especially fermented dairy with live probiotics, outweigh the negatives. Also, what else you do. Dairy contains hormones and stimulates the body to produce hormones that directly impact acne. But any high glycemic meal will stimulate the production of those hormones.

Probiotics are good and don't only come from dairy products. Sauerkraut and kimchi are 2 common examples of lactofermented vegetables. Non dairy.

Meat and products from healthy pastured animals is generally good. But there are individual variances. And it's difficult to digest. If you have any issues, such as low HCL, probiotic impalance, malabsorption, etc. you need to address them. And perhaps take digestive enzymes.

The vegan diet might be ok for some so long as it doesn't consist of a lot of grain and soy based faux food. It needs to be based on a lot of non-grain plant foods.

Also, it's extremely common to be intolerant to nuts, grains and legumes. And if you can't eat these sources of protein, then you need to eat a hell of a lot of food to get enough. Like all day. And you need to supplement b-12.

Almonds aren't bad unless you are intolerant to it. Replace your coffee with much more beneficial teas and your creamer problems are solved.

Fruit is not bad. A high glycemic impacting meal is bad, so pigging out on high sugar fruit is bad. Also, many people have difficulty metabolizing fructose, which can be improved with nutrients and habits. And of course, you need to avoid any fruit to which you are intolerant.

Eat real food. Lots of nutrient dense plant foods. Have pastured eggs, meats and fish. Avoid/limit grains, especially refined grains. Avoid hydrogenated/trans fats like crisco, margarine, oils from grains, oils heated beyond their smoking point, etc. This means avoiding almost all commercially prepared foods such as baked goods, fried foods, snack foods, etc.

Avoid high glycemic meals, drinks or snacks. Don't drink sugar.

Have more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory. The most anti-inflammatory foods are pretty much everything from a plant that isn't a seed--fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, teas... And omega 3 fat sources such as fish. Eggs from pastured chickens and meat from animals that eat their natural diet are also sources of omega 3 fats.

thanks for the response.I have a question, what does soy do for acne skin, and where do you get kimchi? I am thinking local asian market...

Read this.

http://www.huffingto...a_b_822163.html

Scroll down to the 8 point plan -an excellent strategy. It's evidence based and easy to follow.

thank you for the response I liked the article.......I will have to wait of the reccomended supplements...turning into a supplement junky and taking too many, just bought ,probiotics, and b5, this week alone....

1) works

All I can do is answer as somoene who cleared my own skin through diet, but of course your mileage may vary...

1) What works for you is going to be unique. But you can start by eliminating basic foods that are bad for everyone, such as dairy, soy and gluten. These foods are nothing your body needs so you won't be losing anything. From there, you can try different things and figure out what works for you. It's a learning process and no one can give you exact answers, unfortunately. But those foods certainly are not helping anything.

2) I'm not sure what to say about that because the fact is, healthy whole foods ARE expensive. It will especially seem so if you've had a diet of ramen noodles and cereal (or any other cheap processed food) at any point. I wish it wasn't that way, believe me. My boyfriend and I struggle to make ends meet and we spend about 500$ a month on food between the both of us. Life is just a struggle sometimes. Certain foods are cheaper than others of course, but if you want to eat as healthy as possible, be prepared to spend some money on it. Think of it this way, the healthier you are the less illnesses you'll have in the future, so on a long term it pays for itself. Getting a lot of illnesses in your 40's and 50's and constantly needing doctors could add up to cost a lot more than the good food.

3) I don't really know your definition of "reasonable"... you've stated one thing that isn't reasonable to you, but as far as I know you might consider my diet unreasonable *the diet that cleared my skin--no dairy, no soy, no grains, no gluten, no corn, and high raw, mostly salads, fruit, veggies, and a little meat*... All I can say is if you're looking to change your life, and your skin, you might need to be open minded about what is reasonable or not...

4) Dairy is bad. Some people eat it, that's their choice, but there is plenty of evidence out there that dairy isn't a great food for anyone. Some people think raw dairy is okay, and I'll agree it's healthier overall but unfortunately it still broke me out. If you feel you need dairy, I'd say do raw dairy or none at all. And watch yourself to see if it breaks you out. But if it does, or if you just don't want to eat it, there are probiotics in other foods besides dairy. Kimchi is an excellent source. We eat it every day and it does wonders. Alternavista posted some awesome kimchi recipies (and other probiotic, non dairy foods) if you search her posts I'm sure you can find it. There's also kombucha tea, saurcraut (can't spell that sorry), and kefir made from water or juice instead of milk.

5) I've heard of very few people reacting to meat. I sometimes react to chicken, but I think it has more to do with what kind of chicken it is and what it was fed while alive. Meat is generally considered healthy on acne diets. Understand that a lot of times when people try and make you believe that meat is an unhealthy food they have other motives (like animal rights). I recommend that people eat quality meat in their diet because we need good protein and it helps you keep the weight on and be strong.

6) I've never heard of almonds being bad... almonds are generally a healthy food. Unless you notice an allergic reaction from them, you should eat them. As for coffee, personally I stopped drinking it because it was too irritating to my stomach and the caffeine didn't make me feel good. And when I drank it, I preferred it black. So maybe try drinking it black with some honey mixed in, or use coconut milk creamer which they have at whole foods and other grocery stores and is very yummy.

7) Like I said, I use small (key word, small--like a fist sized portion maybe 2x a week) amounts of red meat to make sure I'm getting all the protein I need, but for the most part I rely on plant based foods, which have lots of different amino acids in them. If you eat a lot of different fruits and veggies you are getting the aminos you need. Small portions of meat only help make that better. Definitely stay away from wheat and soy, those foods are totally toxic. As for beans, I eat them, but I don't think they are the healthiest thing on earth. They don't cause me breakouts but they are quite heavy and acidic feeling in my gut. I'm trying to cut back on how much I eat, because I started eating them more as a matter of convienience and not health. As always, test for yourself to see how things effect you.

Good luck!

each person is different providing their perspective on what works for them

Keep im mind moderation and you also need to find what works for you. Find out what you can and cannot have. Its okay to be educated on these things but dont over do it. For me ive found out i cannot do dairy as in milk but i can do some cheese, i take a probioitc and drink soy milk. I also found out that oranges dont like my face either. Its a trial and error experiment that you have to solve. My problems/solutions arent going to work for you because your not me but im just shedding light on what happens and what ive done that might be of benefit to others. Thats all thats being said around here. To help the whole.

good luck.

1) works

All I can do is answer as somoene who cleared my own skin through diet, but of course your mileage may vary...

1) What works for you is going to be unique. But you can start by eliminating basic foods that are bad for everyone, such as dairy, soy and gluten. These foods are nothing your body needs so you won't be losing anything. From there, you can try different things and figure out what works for you. It's a learning process and no one can give you exact answers, unfortunately. But those foods certainly are not helping anything.

2) I'm not sure what to say about that because the fact is, healthy whole foods ARE expensive. It will especially seem so if you've had a diet of ramen noodles and cereal (or any other cheap processed food) at any point. I wish it wasn't that way, believe me. My boyfriend and I struggle to make ends meet and we spend about 500$ a month on food between the both of us. Life is just a struggle sometimes. Certain foods are cheaper than others of course, but if you want to eat as healthy as possible, be prepared to spend some money on it. Think of it this way, the healthier you are the less illnesses you'll have in the future, so on a long term it pays for itself. Getting a lot of illnesses in your 40's and 50's and constantly needing doctors could add up to cost a lot more than the good food.

3) I don't really know your definition of "reasonable"... you've stated one thing that isn't reasonable to you, but as far as I know you might consider my diet unreasonable *the diet that cleared my skin--no dairy, no soy, no grains, no gluten, no corn, and high raw, mostly salads, fruit, veggies, and a little meat*... All I can say is if you're looking to change your life, and your skin, you might need to be open minded about what is reasonable or not...

4) Dairy is bad. Some people eat it, that's their choice, but there is plenty of evidence out there that dairy isn't a great food for anyone. Some people think raw dairy is okay, and I'll agree it's healthier overall but unfortunately it still broke me out. If you feel you need dairy, I'd say do raw dairy or none at all. And watch yourself to see if it breaks you out. But if it does, or if you just don't want to eat it, there are probiotics in other foods besides dairy. Kimchi is an excellent source. We eat it every day and it does wonders. Alternavista posted some awesome kimchi recipies (and other probiotic, non dairy foods) if you search her posts I'm sure you can find it. There's also kombucha tea, saurcraut (can't spell that sorry), and kefir made from water or juice instead of milk.

5) I've heard of very few people reacting to meat. I sometimes react to chicken, but I think it has more to do with what kind of chicken it is and what it was fed while alive. Meat is generally considered healthy on acne diets. Understand that a lot of times when people try and make you believe that meat is an unhealthy food they have other motives (like animal rights). I recommend that people eat quality meat in their diet because we need good protein and it helps you keep the weight on and be strong.

6) I've never heard of almonds being bad... almonds are generally a healthy food. Unless you notice an allergic reaction from them, you should eat them. As for coffee, personally I stopped drinking it because it was too irritating to my stomach and the caffeine didn't make me feel good. And when I drank it, I preferred it black. So maybe try drinking it black with some honey mixed in, or use coconut milk creamer which they have at whole foods and other grocery stores and is very yummy.

7) Like I said, I use small (key word, small--like a fist sized portion maybe 2x a week) amounts of red meat to make sure I'm getting all the protein I need, but for the most part I rely on plant based foods, which have lots of different amino acids in them. If you eat a lot of different fruits and veggies you are getting the aminos you need. Small portions of meat only help make that better. Definitely stay away from wheat and soy, those foods are totally toxic. As for beans, I eat them, but I don't think they are the healthiest thing on earth. They don't cause me breakouts but they are quite heavy and acidic feeling in my gut. I'm trying to cut back on how much I eat, because I started eating them more as a matter of convienience and not health. As always, test for yourself to see how things effect you.

Good luck!

thank you for the reply..one last question...do u eat fish?

Not very often, I just don't really like it, you know? I'm down for some salmon here and there. I don't eat any form of shellfish or shrimp either, not really for acne reasons specifically but because I don't want to eat bottom feeders which I just consider dirty. Gimme an animal that has dined on grass or forest leaves and bark his whole life, not the crap of other animals.

you will have to judge all these issues carefully against your own experiance and on your own body, that is how you will find the truth. there are alot of different cases and misreports and misperceptions that make testimonys unreliable, but i do not think testimonys are useless, they can support certain positions in an argument because what people say can have some truth, be they are not the be all and end all of an argument. a well conducted scientific test will be the determinant of what is true in your own experiance what is not.

i can tell you my own experiances and they may apply to your own body to some degree, there is some truth to all the arguments and issues that you mentioned above, but no single explanation yet of linking them all together or explaining them all. i tend to believe that there are bacterial/immune/dietary/stress relationships that are complicated and the entire issue is hard to approach in a absolute systematic way without trial and error, hence the idea of a "science" and true knowledge. you will have to make due that yo will have to go through a trial and error process here.

i have some advice in my sig if you are interested, it is decent and sound, but i intend on updating it.

I have read through this board and tried various diets on here, and aside from driving my grandma crazy , I haven't found something that

1) work It works if you follow it to a T and you don't just think that diet alone will cure you. Remember that exercise thing? That's also important.

2) is not super expensive Eating organic is not more expensive than eating conventional as long as you don't buy a bunch of conventional crap so you have two different types of foods to pay for. Even if you DO buy organic+conventional, organic frankly isn't all that much more expensive than conventional.

3) is reasonable ( eatting just fruit is not reasonable), No, eating only fruit is not reasonable. That's why you want a varied diet, full of nutritional powerhouse foods such as veggies, meat, fish, nuts, seeds and fruit.

!) dairy is bad but probiotics are good and in dairy The only probiotics in dairy are those in yogurt or kefir. Yogurt sucks as a probiotic source though. Kefir is good and it eliminates most of the problems with dairy, so it's a safe food.

2) meat is good- paleo diet/ meat is bad- vegan diet Veganism is stupid. Paleo is more in line with how your body evolved to eat. Meat is totally fine to eat as long as you're getting good quality meat. I don't touch the grocery store stuff.

3) soy/dairy/almonds all bad = then what am I supposed to drink with my coffee Soy is bad, dairy is bad, almonds are fine if you don't have an intolerance and if your omega 3:6 ratio is balanced. Put Stevia + coconut or almond milk into your coffee, although I don't see why you can't just drink it black like a lot of people do. I only drink black coffee because putting other crap in it makes it not taste like coffee anymore.

4) meat/soy/wheat/beans= all bad = what are you to eat as a protein Meat is not bad. Soy is bad. Most beans are bad, but can be made better through some preparation such as soaking/slow-roasting. Wheat is always bad. No exceptions.

5)fruit is bad /fruit is good Fruit is good as long as you don't overload your liver with fructose or have fructose malabsorption.

I am so frustrated and I fear the grocery store because I no longer have any idea what to eat..I have a huge list of what not to eat and very little on the what TO eat side The foods you can eat are everything else.