Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blake_2010

I'm Going All Natural

I haven't posted on this board in quite some time.

Long story short. I have facial redness and acne. I've thought for the longest time I had Rosacea, but I think I've just screwed myself over with using product after product to try and get rid of the redness (Eucerin, Aveeno, Vit E, Coconut Oil, CeraVe, Cetaphil, etc, etc) plus all the acne products you could think of (accutane included).

I recently watched the documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead which basically discusses the idea of going on a juice fast (fresh juice from fruits/veggies made with a juicer) for 60 days. I'm not going to do all juice, but will be going on an all fruit/veggie diet with a few juices each day. My only protein source will be 52g of whey protein immediately after my work outs.

I will be using water only for my face and only in the mornings if I feel like it.

Supplements I will be taking: Multivitamin, Zinc, and Fish Oil. If anyone has any suggestions on others, I'm open to them.

I will be drinking a crap ton of water as well.

I'm 20 year old college student and am so so sick of living a life where I have to be worried about how bad my skin is all the time. I hate having no self confidence at all. I believe our bodies have the ability to heal themselves without all this drug and cosmetic bull crap. I'm ready to get my life back. It should be a good ride.

I haven't posted on this board in quite some time.

Long story short. I have facial redness and acne. I've thought for the longest time I had Rosacea, but I think I've just screwed myself over with using product after product to try and get rid of the redness (Eucerin, Aveeno, Vit E, Coconut Oil, CeraVe, Cetaphil, etc, etc) plus all the acne products you could think of (accutane included).

I recently watched the documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead which basically discusses the idea of going on a juice fast (fresh juice from fruits/veggies made with a juicer) for 60 days. I'm not going to do all juice, but will be going on an all fruit/veggie diet with a few juices each day. My only protein source will be 52g of whey protein immediately after my work outs.

I will be using water only for my face and only in the mornings if I feel like it.

Supplements I will be taking: Multivitamin, Zinc, and Fish Oil. If anyone has any suggestions on others, I'm open to them.

I will be drinking a crap ton of water as well.

I'm 20 year old college student and am so so sick of living a life where I have to be worried about how bad my skin is all the time. I hate having no self confidence at all. I believe our bodies have the ability to heal themselves without all this drug and cosmetic bull crap. I'm ready to get my life back. It should be a good ride.

Intrigued. Update on your progress! My husband does absolutely nothing and he has perfect skin, shiny (thick) hair, and for a 45 year old male no wrinkles to complain about. He spent his High School and College years outside as a lifegaurd and as of now (always) our free time on our boat. I'm much, much, younger than him and I'm already seeing sunspots (nothing worth complaining about and no wrinkles!! yay!)But geesh!! His skin baffles me...I do everything to combat these problems and he does nothing-plus everything else and has perfect hair,skin,etc...I say go for it! But can I ask? Why Whey Protein? Why not organic/grass-fed? Just curious.

his approach is very smart im doing water only on my face and im having great success because all the chemicals on the face are not good for the acid mantle.

although the whey protein shake mix is probably going to through him off because you usually mix these with milk and even if not milk they have ALOT of aditives in the mix that could cause acne. so i hope this doesnt through his approach off guard!

zinc, copper, and magnesium all need to be taken together. you should be able to get all of those and everything else you need with a high quality multi-vitamin, such as opti-men.

his approach is very smart im doing water only on my face and im having great success because all the chemicals on the face are not good for the acid mantle.

although the whey protein shake mix is probably going to through him off because you usually mix these with milk and even if not milk they have ALOT of aditives in the mix that could cause acne. so i hope this doesnt through his approach off guard!

I've never had issues with whey protein causing break outs for me so I'm going to keep it in. I'll be using water to mix it with. It's nasty but I've done it that way for forever.

You realize you don't need whey protein post workout right? Also, expect to lose a good deal of muscle mass on only 52g protein. As well as trade out the crappy optimen for something good like Orange Triad. Aside from that, good luck with this experiment! Hope it works out for you.

9.2 vs 9.3 user rating on bodybuilding.com, hmm, odd that you would say optimen is crappy? They are essentially the same thing. Get Orange Triad if you wish. Vitamins and minerals will not clear your skin unless you have deficiencies, which is extremely rare in the Western diet.

9.2 vs 9.3 user rating on bodybuilding.com, hmm, odd that you would say optimen is crappy? They are essentially the same thing. Get Orange Triad if you wish. Vitamins and minerals will not clear your skin unless you have deficiencies, which is extremely rare in the Western diet.

Even the people bb.com's forums know product ratings in the store dont mean anything. Optimen has the cheapest forms of vitamins available, as well as synthetic vitamins. OT also has immune, digestive, and joint support, nowhere near the same.

At close to double the cost you only get 45 servings compared to 60 with optimen. A quick glance at the back of both products reveals many of the same ingredients, to name a few, zinc, copper, etc. Optimen does a great job in doing what is needed, there is debate whether one form of a mineral is better than the other, however it would almost be impossible to know because each individual will digest each mineral differently and in different quantities given they take the same amount.

At close to double the cost you only get 45 servings compared to 60 with optimen. A quick glance at the back of both products reveals many of the same ingredients, to name a few, zinc, copper, etc. Optimen does a great job in doing what is needed, there is debate whether one form of a mineral is better than the other, however it would almost be impossible to know because each individual will digest each mineral differently and in different quantities given they take the same amount.

What are you talking about double the cost? 30$ vs 24$, unless you mean the 13$ bottle of optimen that has 30 days worth in it. The fact is, OT is quality, and Optimen doesn't even compare. The forms of vitamins and minerals are different, take an actual glance at what ingredients in them instead of just "Vitamin A". Optimen also has some other goodies in it, but in order to get close to an effective dose you'd need to take 6 or more pills daily. At that point it has less servings per bottle than OT, and costs 6$ less. That's not even mentioning the synthetic forms of vitamins in Opti, seeing as the OP wants to go all natural, that would be a little counter productive, no? There are loads of studies on which vitamin forms are more effective, and it's also taught as fact in many university classes. On top of all that, why support Optimum Nutrition when their main selling point for most of their products is the "anabolic window of opportunity" after a workout?

Nope, optimen 60 tabs for 17 bucks. Optimen: zinc 30mg as zinc citrate. OT zinc 30mg as zinc citrate, I would recommend you read the bottle first.

Nope, optimen 60 tabs for 17 bucks. Optimen: zinc 30mg as zinc citrate. OT zinc 30mg as zinc citrate, I would recommend you read the bottle first.

I dont think you realize zinc is not the only ingredient on the label. I also see you dont realize that opti's serving size is 3 pills, if you do the math 60/3 = 20. I read it, did you?

First off you are very wrong, of course I know that a MULTI-vitamin has more than just zinc, I said that so maybe just maybe you would stop for a second and go read the labels.  Look at the vitamins/minerals, compare them to each other and then come back with facts that sate one form of a mineral is better than another, you can't.

Also, it is 60 servings, 3 tabs x 60 = 180 total tabs in the bottle, for 17$.  I have no idea why you are mad, however, for me this is the end of the conversation.  

Blake, I wish you the best with your new regime, keep us up to date.

Edited by bobbi364

First off you are very wrong, of course I know that a MULTI-vitamin has more than just zinc, I said that so maybe just maybe you would stop for a second and go read the labels. Look at the vitamins/minerals, compare them to each other and then come back with facts that sate one form of a mineral is better than another, you can't. Also, it is 60 servings, 3 tabs x 60 = 150 total tabs in the bottle, for 17$. I have no idea why you are mad, however, for me this is the end of the conversation. Blake, I wish you the best with your new regime, keep us up to date.

I'm wrong about what? Compare the two labels side by side, look up some studies, and look for real reviews on the products. I did my research on more than one occasion, you being the expert on math (3x60=what? it's not 150). A full bottle of OT can be found for 23$ shipped. So for 6$ more for 45 full days of quality vitamins and minerals, joint support, digestive aids, and immune boosters. You keep coming back to the price, but in order to get the benefits of the goodies in Opti, you would have to at least double the dose. Synthetic vitamins have also been suggested to be harmful to health. So you can choose to save a buck or two on a product, that contains ingredients in the same league as trans fats and msg. Or, you can pay a little more, and get something that is 5 products in one, and quality at that. People on this board seem to be all about natural products; I'm only supporting that view, as well as Blake's new NATURAL lifestyle.

Wow, good job taking over his thread with an argument about a vitamin label.

Blake--Just had a few suggestions for your plan that deal with overall health as well.

First, when it comes to taking multivitamins, there's a lot of things that come into play. Some vitamin companies can add loads of fillers to take up the volume. Some do use what is known as synthetic vitamins which we create, so it's important to look for key vitamins, such as E, A, D, etc. For instance, d-alpha tocopheryl is the natural form, while some use d1-alpha tocopheryl which is synthetic. For vitamin A, it's important to get beta-carotene because our bodies convert beta-carotene to Vitamin A so we can't develop toxicity like you can with many forms that begin with Retinol. As for vitamin D, some may use a cheaper form called D2, when really you want the D3 version, called cholecalciferol. However, I'll let the other 2 argue it out.

I also tried water only on the face, using a good washcloth once a day and noticed good improvements a while back with that. Skin lost a lot of redness as I too was susceptible to using Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid mostly, because I didn't want to change my diet or supplement. So go for it!

I'm sure many are learning on their own by now, but also make sure the fish oil you are taking is from deep sea fish and not grain-fed farmed fish! That alone can change the benefits of fish oil to negativities.

I've also been reading a lot lately on superfoods as I've been obsessed with believing that our diets due to industry over the last 40 years are what is causing so much acne. If you haven't read about superfoods before, research it. Extremely interesting stuff. The amount of vitamins and enzymes and EFA's that can all exist together in one food and be used efficiently really makes you realize that the way we do things today is ruining our nutrition.

Hope that helps! Good Luck