Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
51WithSkin

Seeing A Plastic Surgeon Tomorrow. Should I Ask About Acne Scars?

Hi, First time poster,

I am seeing a plastic surgeon tomorrow about an unrelated issue. Should I just ask her about my agony over the 6 to 8 pock marks left on my face over the last 25 years that have caused me so much anxiety? Or is that crossing the line since I am seeing her for something unrelated. I am willing to pay her out of pocket if those marks could be filled in!

I have read many threads about acne scar correction. Many seem promising while others sound totally disheartening! I don't know if I should go to someone for TCA Crossing, or try Dermarolling with Peptides on my own. I'm even questioning if incision is the way for me to go although my face does snot look bad at all. However, I see it! When I mask and shave I look much better. Tell me, does derma rolling with peptides really smooth out the unevenness of the skin?

Any suggestion would be apprecaited.

I am 51. I don't break out anymore. I just don't want to see any pock marks.

Sure, why not? Might as well get as much out of him as you can.

From my experience with plastic surgeons, though, they tend to push procedures on you that is more because they themselves have that option available, not necessarily because it is a good options for you, so keep that in mind, but always keep an open mind.

Also, for acne scar treatments in general, I don't suggest doing home remedies. They're either dangerous or they're too mild to really do anything. Others may say differently, but I'm just a cautious type of guy.

Good luck!

Sure, why not? Might as well get as much out of him as you can.

From my experience with plastic surgeons, though, they tend to push procedures on you that is more because they themselves have that option available, not necessarily because it is a good options for you, so keep that in mind, but always keep an open mind.

Also, for acne scar treatments in general, I don't suggest doing home remedies. They're either dangerous or they're too mild to really do anything. Others may say differently, but I'm just a cautious type of guy.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't consider doing a dermabrassion. There seems like better ways to go these days. I have read a few horror stories with laser therapy here. I would be too scared to try that. But those who do TCA crossing have had some good threads. But I would never try that at home. I was hoping that a derma rolling procedure at home would help. But I don't know.

What have you tried if anything DRaGZ? Do you recommend anything?

I'm currently going through laser treatments, Lux 1540. Lux 1540 is marketed as a "non-ablative" laser, but it's actually partially ablative. Also, there is less downtime because it has a cooling contact with the skin, so the damage is more targeted and there's less collateral damage. My dermatologist also rubbed me with a cooling roller for about fifteen minutes after treatment, which led to even faster healing.

After just one treatment, I've seen a noticeable improvement in some of my scars. It responded better to the scars on my upper cheek where the bone is, and this is normal because scars over bones respond better to any type of treatment involving collagen stimulation.

Keep in mind, this is a treatment which is supposed to only see substantial results after 3-5 treatments, and I've already been seeing results, and I have not been alone in this sentiment. On the other hand, many other people have also done lasers with no results whatsoever.

The lesson to take from this is that skin is different with everyoen, different lasers are different, and different dermatologists use lasers differently. What works for some people may or may not work for others.

There's a lot of fan of dermarollers and dermastamps. I am personally wary of them, but if you feel comfortable enough with the amount of research you've done on it, it's entirely your decision.

I also don't mean to point out your age, but being 51 will cause any sort of treatment to be slower than if you were younger because the skin cycle for older people is longer. That means you will see results more slowly, but it doesn't mean results aren't possible, so be vigilant!

Again, good luck!

Edited by DRaGZ

I'm currently going through laser treatments, Lux 1540. Lux 1540 is marketed as a "non-ablative" laser, but it's actually partially ablative. Also, there is less downtime because it has a cooling contact with the skin, so the damage is more targeted and there's less collateral damage. My dermatologist also rubbed me with a cooling roller for about fifteen minutes after treatment, which led to even faster healing.

I also don't mean to point out your age, but being 51 will cause any sort of treatment to be slower than if you were younger because the skin cycle for older people is longer. That means you will see results more slowly, but it doesn't mean results aren't possible, so be vigilant!

Again, good luck!

Thank you so much! May I ask you what do you mean by "ablative"?

I realize since I am 51 it will take longer. But I still can do scar remodeling right? I mean it will just take longer. But it still can happen I hope. :)

Again, good luck!

Thank you so much! May I ask you what do you mean by "ablative"?

I realize since I am 51 it will take longer. But I still can do scar remodeling right? I mean it will just take longer. But it still can happen I hope. smile.png

"Ablative" means that it literally takes some of the skin off. The original CO2 lasers were fully ablative, in that they completely removed an entire layer of skin. While these are still available and are very effective, they also came with a lot of complications, pretty much the same as dermabrasion.

As you might expect "non-ablative" means no skin is actually removed.

There's also "fractional", which is what the vast majority of modern lasers do. These lasers actually poke either ablative or non-ablative columns into the skin, leaving portions of skin untouched for faster healing.

After just one treatment, I've seen a noticeable improvement in some of my scars. It responded better to the scars on my upper cheek where the bone is, and this is normal because scars over bones respond better to any type of treatment involving collagen stimulation.

Keep in mind, this is a treatment which is supposed to only see substantial results after 3-5 treatments, and I've already been seeing results, and I have not been alone in this sentiment. On the other hand, many other people have also done lasers with no results whatsoever.

The lesson to take from this is that skin is different with everyoen, different lasers are different, and different dermatologists use lasers differently. What works for some people may or may not work for others.

lucky, i had 4 treatments of the starlux 1540, and its been over a year and i have no seen any improvement. sure, the first week i did because of all the swelling. but once the swelling went down, so did my "improvement." i had a few scars that i thought it actually helped, but as the months went on, those few scars went back to their normal state. pretty dissappointing...

i have to ask, was your downtime worse than expected? because when i was first interested in this laser, the plastic surgeon told me that i'd be a little red, but i'd be fine to go to work the next day. but OH MAN was my face horrible! it was swollen, red, peeling, a few times i had some bruising, and i also had waffle imprints on my face for a week. i don't like how they market it as a lunchtime procedure. it didnt seem that way for me... at least i didnt feel comfortable with imprints and bruises on my face.

lucky, i had 4 treatments of the starlux 1540, and its been over a year and i have no seen any improvement. sure, the first week i did because of all the swelling. but once the swelling went down, so did my "improvement." i had a few scars that i thought it actually helped, but as the months went on, those few scars went back to their normal state. pretty dissappointing...

i have to ask, was your downtime worse than expected? because when i was first interested in this laser, the plastic surgeon told me that i'd be a little red, but i'd be fine to go to work the next day. but OH MAN was my face horrible! it was swollen, red, peeling, a few times i had some bruising, and i also had waffle imprints on my face for a week. i don't like how they market it as a lunchtime procedure. it didnt seem that way for me... at least i didnt feel comfortable with imprints and bruises on my face.

I had pretty much one day of downtime, which they told me to expect. I had extremely minor peeling, which I only noticed when washing my face. I did not have any bruising or extreme redness...that sounds really strange...

It is a bit stronger than other comparable lasers like Fraxel Re:store because it is technically partially ablative. But it should not be causing bruising, that sounds like a very weird symptom.

I have heard of waffle imprints from other patients online, but my own doctor hasn't actually observed any from his patients and I personally have never seen it on my own skin.