Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rpg90

Do I Need Accutane? (Pictures)

im 21 had acne bad acne like the pictures for about 5 months now before i had very mild acne nothing to complain about. I made an app. with the derm and she recommended accutane right away, i was a bit shocked at first because i have read it should be a last resort. I am on epiduo and erythromycin now and have been for about 4 weeks. I have to go back and see her in another 4 weeks. What do you think do i need it? or could this be from something I'm eating ? or... ??

a lot of what is showing up in the pictures are red marks, from old pimples, also i just shaved before that so everything is more red then normal. Is this considered sever acne?

post-165070-0-62658000-1326671246_thumb.

post-165070-0-73772400-1326671247_thumb.

post-165070-0-84388900-1326671248_thumb.

post-165070-0-86553300-1326671249.jpg

post-165070-0-62658000-1326671246_thumb.

post-165070-0-73772400-1326671247_thumb.

post-165070-0-84388900-1326671248_thumb.

post-165070-0-86553300-1326671249.jpg

If its a good, reputable derm, that you trust, then follow the recommendation if you feel its the best decision for you. I say do it! Lol

Well, to be honest is not so bad and you are not getting big cysts (yet?). I'd say to try with antibiotics such as Miocycline or Tetracycline.. but of course, the doctor's opinion is the most important one.

thanks i know its my decision but just curious as to if my acne is bad enough? thats why i asked

It all depends on the person, there are people with less acne than you on accutane and also people with worse acne. Try to read some experiences (good and bad) and look into the side effects.

hey thanks yeah i know mine seems to be getting better really slowly and i never get cyst acne (knock on wood). I think its prob best to try other things before that because there is so much hype about accutane there must be a reason

thanks again

If nothing else works, then yes (although your acne is definitely not severe). Accutane is for severe acne, but it's also for persistent acne that doesn't clear up with other medications. Being 21 and still having it might put you in good stead. Go in with a list of what you've tried and see what your dermatologist says. If you need it, you'll get it. If you don't need it, be happy about it. :lol: And try something else!

i have only had this for like 5 months now b4 i barley had anything, so it has been persistent but only for 5 months

I'm a few years younger than you, but my acne started very mild and then got worse fast. It started as zits and then progressed to cysts over just a couple of months. Obviously that might not happen to you but if your acne does get a lot worse you'll probably regret not starting Accutane.

And even if your acne doesn't get worse, Accutane will still get rid of everything you have now, so it's win/win really. I tried creams for 7 months and they didn't work for me, I wish I had started Accutane a year ago instead of a month ago.

yeah ive been on the cream and anitbioctics now for 4 weeks and my acne i think might be starting to show a minimal sign of getting better not sure yet. I have had days were i just wanted to start accutane tmr . but ive hear that its really bad ? Did you have any side effects? what is really so bad about it?

Well the creams/anibtiotics might work for you, but it's a tough situation cause if they do work it'll take a few more months, and if they never work then you'll just end up wasting 5-6 months when you could have been clear already from Accutane.

I can't speak too much about side effects since I'm only one month in. I just have some general dryness, which is the only side effect you're guaranteed to get really. Maybe try the creams for another month and see if it really does anything, if not ask your derm about accutane.

yeah but im more worried about the side effects that could come after being off accutane ive read alot of reviews and sounds like alot of people get some pretty serious effects..AHH its soo confusing what to do

I would only try accutane as an absolute last resort. I took it and within 6 months after I was finished my accutane course all my acne had come back. As well I have permanent join pain in my wrists, ankles, knees, elbows. I also get more migraines, and I have super sensitive skin now. Diet changes have helped me more than anything else I've tried.

There's a few other things you could try before resorting to accutane. Use clean pillowcases every night, always wash your face before bed, don't use harsh scrubs or cleansers, don't touch your face, don't pick your face, get lots of sleep, try to eliminate stress from your life. You could try avoiding acne triggers, alcohol, dairy, gluten, soy, refined sugars, high sodium, processed foods, peanuts and citrus all break me out. Avoiding all these things has helped clear my skin so much!

thanks, AM-i use cetaphil then mosturize

PM- Cetaphil then Epiduo

Im going to make a food allergy app. and see if maybe something im eating is causing this maybe allegic to some type of food, idk

i will try all thoes things its hard to eliminate stress though cause everytime i look in the mirror it causes me great stress

It's definitely a tough situation because obviously Accutane is scary due to the horror stories you hear, and I'm really just speaking from experience here, but I would argue that once acne has truly established itself on your face, it's not going away without taking real action (or just hoping it fades with time, which could lead to scarring).

I spent two months focusing on nothing but my diet and overall health. I ate gluten and dairy free, and worked with naturopathic doctors to find all sorts of great supplements that were supposed to be beneficial to my skin and health. I haven't touched junk food in over a year. Point is, while all of this stuff was probably good for my overall health, it didn't even put the slightest dent in my acne. Now I've been on Accutane for not even 4 weeks yet, and I've gotten more results in these last 3-4 weeks than I had in the prior 4 months combined.

I'm not going to argue that Accutane has no downsides, but the reality is that there's virtually no chance that anything else will truly eliminate acne from your system. If your acne is caused by excess oil, hormones, or whatever internal malfunction that it may be... Eating well and sleeping on a clean pillow won't do anything to change that. There are no studies to support that food has any effect on acne, and most doctors will tell you it doesn't. Accutane may not be perfect but there is no better alternative and that's a fact.

yeah i hear what your saying but in my case its just wierd that i never had it till i was 21 and these last 5 months its been bad thats what leads me to belive that it might be from something im eating or idunno ? just trying to find the reason why all of the sudded im getting it you know

thanks for your post though!

It is up to you but honestly I wouldn't if my acne was more like your's. I have cysts the size of half dollars. Although, one of my friends used Accutane and had very light accutane.

I think this is a medicine that should be a last resort. I think a basic regimen would work and wouldn't be so harsh on your body.

Today sucks I'm having a breakout !!! i feel terrible white heads all in my facial hair area. It might be from shaving with a disposable razor idunno but its terrible i feel like i have chicken spots all of my face:( I HATE ACNE!!!

If my acne was like yours then I would personally think that the risks outweigh any benefits. Doctors who continue to reserve accutane for severe cases probably wouldn't even give you a prescription.

Edited by datsnotmyname

As one of the severely affected people who took this drug, I'd say no.

Your case is moderate, I'd say.

Pretend you never heard Accutane was a possibility.

The drug has bad news written all over it...

Here's a few videos I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMld7Dtpqbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuA91-7RlGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FS65c9jmVA&feature=related

It's really up to you, if you feel like your acne is a problem in your life and it's causing you to miss opportunities then yes.

That's definitely not severe acne either, it's moderate.

People that continuously tell others to not take accutane because they got 'severe side effects' for life really need to stop scaring people. Yes, it is good to chime in with your experience, but what have they got to say for the thousands of people that accutane has helped. Accutane is a miracle drug for most. And to prevent someone from turning their life around when they are suffering psychologically is just wrong.

Out of 2 million people that have taken accutane there have been a few lawsuits in the united states. Where accutane is prescribed at higher doses and for longer amounts of time.

My personal take is that you do have severe enough acne to warrant accutane. Because I have moderate, and mine is a lot more "active" looking that yours but not as widespread or deep appearing (I can send you a pic if your curious what my derm calls moderate). Obviously, your derm knows more than anyone of us here. In your case, you might be good to get a second opinion.

It really comes down to how you much it bothers you/effect your life.