Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
limpbizkitfan

What About The Sugar In Fruit?

They say that sugar causes acne but fruit is filled with sugar. And my Mom always tells me to not eat raisins so much because it's "pure sugar."

If sugar causes acne then fruit must cause acne as well, right?

They say that sugar causes acne but fruit is filled with sugar. And my Mom always tells me to not eat raisins so much because it's "pure sugar."

well this is a question that comes into play with alot of acne victims. First things first. Acne can be caused by sugars yes because the sugars spikes your insulin levels and this usually creates acne. this is mainly on sugars that are in junk food though with high carbs and very high GI's and GL's. fruit is different. fruit is very low for the most part in the GI as long as you dont have ALOT OF fats in your bloodstream frit should not be a problem at all for acne. as a matter of fact fruit is extremely healthy becasue they contain so many nutrients and vitamins that we need to combat acne! raisins are questionable because they are one of the fruits that are very have in GI BUT some people say raisins are good because its a fiber that helps you become more regular in the bathroom which means youre digestiing your intake on foods properly which can be a case in clearing acne. so all in all most fruist are good but i would avoid raisins. i eat raisins every other day and havent noticed any change in acne though ;)

i eat apples banannas cantalope and drink lemon water every single day and i does not hurt my acne at all.

i hope this helped at all. research fruit in acne they dont say that it hurts it.

By the way.. hows your hand? rolleyes.gif

I'm a little scared of fruit as well. Some fruits like watermelon have a pretty high GI, so I don't eat them.

Berry fruits (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries) are low GI, so I eat those mostly.

lol yeah fruit has natural sugar, table sugar is what they say causes acne

im guessing they sweeten raisins after theyre dried? either way stick to the raw fruits & veggies, thats the best way to be healthy. processed = bad. but i eat it anyway haha

well this is a question that comes into play with alot of acne victims. First things first. Acne can be caused by sugars yes because the sugars spikes your insulin levels and this usually creates acne. this is mainly on sugars that are in junk food though with high carbs and very high GI's and GL's. fruit is different. fruit is very low for the most part in the GI as long as you dont have ALOT OF fats in your bloodstream frit should not be a problem at all for acne. as a matter of fact fruit is extremely healthy becasue they contain so many nutrients and vitamins that we need to combat acne! raisins are questionable because they are one of the fruits that are very have in GI BUT some people say raisins are good because its a fiber that helps you become more regular in the bathroom which means youre digestiing your intake on foods properly which can be a case in clearing acne. so all in all most fruist are good but i would avoid raisins. i eat raisins every other day and havent noticed any change in acne though wink.png

i eat apples banannas cantalope and drink lemon water every single day and i does not hurt my acne at all.

i hope this helped at all. research fruit in acne they dont say that it hurts it.

By the way.. hows your hand? rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the input..I know eating some fruit a day won't be bad but, since I cut out bread, soy, and dairy from my diet I'm eating mostly fruit (probably 80% fruit) since I am not sure how to pre-pare vegetables just yet. Like, the only veggies I eat are leafy greens and I know I need to be eating more if I want clear skinn but, it's not as easy as it seems.

Lol it's stilllll a scab...the friggn' thing won't heal ha ha

I'm a little scared of fruit as well. Some fruits like watermelon have a pretty high GI, so I don't eat them.

Berry fruits (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries) are low GI, so I eat those mostly.

Watermelon is mostly water so you would think that it would clear acne since water flushes out toxins...But when I eat really sweet tasting fruit like mangoes, I think in the back of my mind "this tastes like candy" and get scared it might break me outt

youre thinking its candy because fruit is natures candy LOL but trust me as long as its pure fruit you get from the produce section in grocery stores and as long as you arent allergic to any kinds you will not break out from it. i eat frtui everyday fruit is the main part of my meals when you are hungry and want snacks you should eat more fruit!!

for veggies you can stirfry zucchini broccoli carrots onions in a pan i use a tad bit of canola oil to cook and you can carrots and onions cook fastest then zucchini then broccoli you can add sesame seeds and seasonings like garlic powder for more flavor then you can steam brown rice and have stirfried rice its what im making right now ;) pretty much you just take a pan and any veggie you want to eat you can cook on the pan and it taste SCRUMPSHISH! i eat zucchini and broccoli almost everyday and i eat carrots and celery raw as well every day easy easy. then when you get tired of it you can mix it up a little bit. you can still eat meat but fresh meat from the grocery store and you can grill it of bake it in the oven theres recipes all over the net for low GI marinades for chicken and steak. just some helpful tips :)

but all in all you should just eat whatever you want whatever makes you happy just avoid the stuff you know is junk. dont think so much about it breaking you out. becasue it more than likely wont. if yu break out from food its usually from food you ate around 2 weeks ago just a reminder!

hope your hand heals quickly! i have a scar on my knuckle we can have matching scars ;)

youre thinking its candy because fruit is natures candy LOL but trust me as long as its pure fruit you get from the produce section in grocery stores and as long as you arent allergic to any kinds you will not break out from it. i eat frtui everyday fruit is the main part of my meals when you are hungry and want snacks you should eat more fruit!!

for veggies you can stirfry zucchini broccoli carrots onions in a pan i use a tad bit of canola oil to cook and you can carrots and onions cook fastest then zucchini then broccoli you can add sesame seeds and seasonings like garlic powder for more flavor then you can steam brown rice and have stirfried rice its what im making right now wink.png pretty much you just take a pan and any veggie you want to eat you can cook on the pan and it taste SCRUMPSHISH! i eat zucchini and broccoli almost everyday and i eat carrots and celery raw as well every day easy easy. then when you get tired of it you can mix it up a little bit. you can still eat meat but fresh meat from the grocery store and you can grill it of bake it in the oven theres recipes all over the net for low GI marinades for chicken and steak. just some helpful tips smile.png

but all in all you should just eat whatever you want whatever makes you happy just avoid the stuff you know is junk. dont think so much about it breaking you out. becasue it more than likely wont. if yu break out from food its usually from food you ate around 2 weeks ago just a reminder!

hope your hand heals quickly! i have a scar on my knuckle we can have matching scars wink.png

Hahaa ok then scarr twin : ) That recipe sounds reallly good. I am not sure what zuchini is...lol thats how bad i am w/ vegetables. But the next time I go to the grocery I'm just gonna get a ton of veggies and start cooking them. I guess I am a bit lazy because w/ fruit it's already ready to go and veggies have to be cut and washed and you have to wash the pan etc. But I want clear skin bad enoughh to work for it haha.

I'm also keeping a food diary to track down everthing I eat, and when new pimples come...it's actually reaaally helpful.

lol good job on the record keeping. yeah ask your mum to help you pick out good vegetables for cookie stirfry. plus eating celery plain and broccoli raw is god too leafy veggies.. you can get spinach leaves in bag for salads you can use braggs apple cidar vinegar and Extra virgin olive oil or dressing adding cut tomatoes and cucumbers to the salad its so good! when u think spinach you think thats gross but spinach leaves are much better then the stringy spinach you see popeye eat LOL

good luck scarrtwin!

I am not sure what zuchini is...lol thats how bad i am w/ vegetables. But the next time I go to the grocery I'm just gonna get a ton of veggies and start cooking them.

Good for you! :) I'm happy for you, ahhh I can't imagine it, a zucchini virgin! Prepare to enter into a world of yumminess.

I am not sure what zuchini is...lol thats how bad i am w/ vegetables. But the next time I go to the grocery I'm just gonna get a ton of veggies and start cooking them.

Good for you! smile.png I'm happy for you, ahhh I can't imagine it, a zucchini virgin! Prepare to enter into a world of yumminess.

Yeaa I'm so proud of myself for deciding to change my diet. It's hard to do thoo... it's like breaking a serious addiction. I just hopeee it turns out good. I'm trying to watch as much youtube cooking vids as i can haha

All sugar is the same. Keep your overall intake low and you can have a piece of fruit or two with no worries.

Fruit isn't natural in the quantities or breeds we have today. If you wanted a handful of berries a million years ago you'd probably end up travelling 15km.

every body is different, there are some people that gets clear only by eating fruit, others find fructuose unbeneficial for their skin. Its important to know the difference between GI and GL, watermelon for example is high in GI, but its glycemic load is 3.5, very low. I agree with uncle buck, you can eat 1-3 pieces of fruit per day with no worries

1-3 pieces? fruit is what i eat most the entire day!

i eat 2 apples 1 bananna half a cantalope hand full of blueberries about 6 cherries(expensive) and 6 strawberries every single day for months and ive had no problem at all/

i also eat about 12-15 carrots a bowl of steamed broccoli a handful of celery and a plate of steamed zuchinni every single day as well

most of the days dinner is the only meal that consist of my fats, being some sort of meat. chicken or steak, pork ect

and i get little to no new blemishes so how do you explain that? if fruit is the main course of my day

1-3 pieces? fruit is what i eat most the entire day!

i eat 2 apples 1 bananna half a cantalope hand full of blueberries about 6 cherries(expensive) and 6 strawberries every single day for months and ive had no problem at all/

i also eat about 12-15 carrots a bowl of steamed broccoli a handful of celery and a plate of steamed zuchinni every single day as well

most of the days dinner is the only meal that consist of my fats, being some sort of meat. chicken or steak, pork ect

and i get little to no new blemishes so how do you explain that? if fruit is the main course of my day

If my thoughts are correct, i can deduce you are over 21 years old. For people who have got acne because of the gut damage, fruit is going to be beneficial for your skin, but if you are in adolescense, time of natural insulin resistance, such as me, fructuose is not beneficial. Also, if you check some succes stories, many people have cured their acne limiting the amount of fruit. And trust me, I tried eating 20 pieces of fruit per day, not good. In my case, I stick to green apples and other fruits every the other day. The best thing to do, is experimenting with it, eat a lot of fruit for a couple of weeks, and see what happens

Edited by Chestercool

word thanks for the info bro i am 21 and just began gettign bad acne this winter but my dad is the reason becasue in my genes and ive been eating that much fruit plus more every day for month and it hasnt contributed to my acne at all. i just started not washing my face regimen about 11 days ago and its the only thing thats ever made my acne better and this whole time ive still been keeping my diet the way its been

1. Yes, fructose can break you out. Both by extension and for other reasons, so can fruit.

2. Excessive fructose is not healthy. Excessive fruit is not healthy.

3. Not all of the sugar in fruit is fructose (it's actually a complex matrix of various sugars.)

4. Fructose causes a small rise in blood sugar, smaller than glucose or sucrose. For this reason, it's good to those looking to control and monitor their blood sugar.

5. The sugar in "dried fruit" is often more concentrated and dried fruit fills you up less than eating a regular piece of fruit.

6. Fruit is not simply balls of sugar. There's many redeeming qualities to fruit, but fruit is not a perfect food. Not even close.

Edited by chunkylard

so couldnt one just eat as much fruit as he/she wanted and also consume cinnamon at the end of the day and be fine?

cinnamon has been proven to control diabetics blood sugar levels

Uh, fructose doesn't really cause blood sugar spikes. What it does do, if eaten in access, is overload the liver. It can also contribute to insulin resistance.

so couldnt one just eat as much fruit as he/she wanted and also consume cinnamon at the end of the day and be fine?

Uh, fructose doesn't really cause blood sugar spikes. What it does do, if eaten in access, is overload the liver. It can also contribute to insulin resistance.

What is insulin resistance??

uhh i didnt say it did i was asking what to do about it because chunkylard said it did??

chunkylard- " Fructose causes a small rise in blood sugar, smaller than glucose or sucrose. For this reason, it's good to those looking to control and monitor their blood sugar."

and if it contributes to insulin resistance than my thearoy would be correct? just eat a gram of cinnamon a day and you will have increased insulin resistance??

It actually does, but a mild one and through different pathways than glucose.

@dreamingofclearskin2011

Insulin resistance can be independent of blood sugar levels, so not necessarily. It's not nearly that easy to avoid insulin resistance. There are also some foods that stimulate insulin secretion, while not necessarily insulinogenic or sugar-laden themselves. Then there are foods that have very amounts of sugar (negligible for the most part) but can cause spikes in blood sugar whereas another food with an equal amount of sugar wouldn't cause as much of a rise in blood sugar.

I also believe that glucagon resistance occurs at the same time as insulin resistance too.

But that's all just gibberish if you don't understand the basic facets of eating healthy.

If you feel fruit breaks you out, you don't like fruit or you have fructose malabsorption issues, cut fruit out.

Yes, fruit can break you out even if you don't have fructose malabsorption.

Also as far as cinnamon goes for controlling blood sugar: it's so-so. It's definitely not any replacement for insulin.

Gymnema Sylvestre is superior and I can certainly vouch for its effectiveness. Cheaper than cinnamon too.

It actually does, but a mild one and through different pathways than glucose.

@dreamingofclearskin2011

Insulin resistance can be independent of blood sugar levels, so not necessarily. It's not nearly that easy to avoid insulin resistance. There are also some foods that stimulate insulin secretion, while not necessarily insulinogenic or sugar-laden themselves. Then there are foods that have very amounts of sugar (negligible for the most part) but can cause spikes in blood sugar whereas another food with an equal amount of sugar wouldn't cause as much of a rise in blood sugar.

I also believe that glucagon resistance occurs at the same time as insulin resistance too.

But that's all just gibberish if you don't understand the basic facets of eating healthy.

If you feel fruit breaks you out, you don't like fruit or you have fructose malabsorption issues, cut fruit out.

Yes, fruit can break you out even if you don't have fructose malabsorption.

Also as far as cinnamon goes for controlling blood sugar: it's so-so. It's definitely not any replacement for insulin.

Gymnema Sylvestre is superior and I can certainly vouch for its effectiveness. Cheaper than cinnamon too.

Can you share some examples of the foods that cause blood sugar spikes vs. ones that don't with the same amount of blood sugar? For some reason I imagine the answer being like two different kinds of tubers or something, although you're probably referring to fruit or sweets. Which foods stimulate insulin secretion?! I haven't even thought to look into that! Oh wait, buckwheat just came to mind. The d-chiro-inositol is supposed to help with insulin resistance, maybe that's one of 'em?

Also noted about the Gymnema Sylvestre. It sounds like the name of a super model. I've heard chromium is good for balancing blood sugar out as well.

^ generally, the glycemic index/glycemic load give values of increase in blood sugar from 0-100, 100 being glucose. Usually a higher increase in blood yields more insulin secretion. There are some proteins and stuff that are supposedly insulinogenic, but never give me skin issues. I think insulin has a really bad reputation when in fact other hormonal problems are occurring in response to the rising blood sugar.

Edited by vapor1

Fruit doesn't just contain fructose, btw. Most contain roughly equal amounts of sucrose. And yes, they use fructose to induce insulin resistance in lab rats.

also, certain amino acids cause an insulin response. Amino acids plentiful in dairy and in whey. That is what I mean every time I say dairy is insulinemic and low fat is also high GI.

Fruit doesn't just contain fructose, btw. Most contain roughly equal amounts of sucrose. And yes, they use fructose to induce insulin resistance in lab rats.

also, certain amino acids cause an insulin response. Amino acids plentiful in dairy and in whey. That is what I mean every time I say dairy is insulinemic and low fat is also high GI.

thanks for the info alternativista, i was going to buy aminoacid pills for the gym, im gonna do some researh. You might saved me from a huge breakout :P