Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Justwater

Lack Of Good Bacteria

I currently have mild/moderate acne with occasional cysts. My pimples are always inflamed and have white pus in them. I am 24 years old and have been battling acne since I was 15. I was on antibiotics for 7 years until I finally went on accutane. My acne was 100% clear while on accutane (because my skin wasn't oily), but I had to quit accutane due to bad side effects. My skin is now really sensitive and it cannot handle topicle treatments well. My pimples never last for more than a couple days, and the only reason I get pimples is because my skin is ridiculously oily. Could my skin be oily because of my lack of good bacteria in my system? I had a stool test done two years back and the results showed that I have no good bacteria in my body (one strain). Thanks!

Even in the event that it won't make acne better, you should definitely invest in some probiotics, because that needs to be fixed. Lots of people have had success in treating acne by treating their gut as well, wouldn't hurt to look into it!

Interesting question. From what I've read, if you're constantly eating food that bad bacteria feed on, and eating unhealthy in general, you make it very difficult for the good bacteria to thrive and survive. However, if you're adding good bacteria to your gut with probiotics, as well as eating healthy for a long time (A few months to maybe 2-3 years depending on how bad the damage is) to heal your gut overall, you make it easier for the good bacteria to thrive on their own.

Would you recommend a probiotic pill or would eating organic unsweetened yogurt do the trick? I do drink a lot of alcohol, so I'm sure that doesn't help.

alcohol kills good bacteria, refined carbs, drugs ans stress too. Its important to have good bacteria to reach a clear skin. Gut flora, absorb bad toxins, make digestion easier, etc. Do what tunnelvisionary recommens, kefir is a good source of probiotics, or just take a capsule of probiotics every the other day.

From what I've read, the bacteria in yogurt don't really populate the gut. I'd say it's best to take a probiotic twice a day on an empty stomach (which is what I do). Look for refrigerated ones or ones that are known to be shelf-stable.

Thanks for the advice everyone. If I have a lack of good bacteria, does that automatically mean that I have candida? I had a stool test done a couple years back and the results did not show any signs of candida. Just wondering if I would have to kill that in order to restore my good bacteria?