Notifications
Clear all

A Good Sunscreen?

MemberMember
(@blackblake)

Posted : 01/14/2012 9:55 am

Hey guys, i live in Florida, and as you probably know, it is considered the sunshine state. First off i have very oily skin. I have been using cetaphil sunscreen and i believe it may have caused me to break out by clogging my pores. And i really wanted to get a good sunscreen since i am in the sun quite a bit. Any acne-friendly sunscreens? Thanks

MemberMember
(@dreamingofclearskin2011)

Posted : 01/14/2012 11:08 am

i personally dont like sunscreen, i live in SC right above you s i pratically get the same amount of sun as you. in the summers i never use sunscreen and get a flawless tan and i have oily skin. right now ive been putting "zinc" face sunscreen i got from walgreens it says that its for the face nose and ears dermatologist recommened on it but i could find ANY sun screen at walgreens that said that it was 'non comodogenic' so this was my prefered choice since it said for the face and derm recommened on it. its actually walgreens brand ive been using it for about 8 days now and i go in my backyard and get some sun everyday for 2 hours and it hasnt broken me out at all

good luck!

MemberMember
(@blackblake)

Posted : 02/07/2012 7:54 am

Yea i agree with you on the sunscreen thing. I hate sunscreen. I never really got into wearing it. But lately since 95% of my acne is cleared up, i have a shitload of hyperpigmentation which sucks almost as bad as acne. And i read online somewhere that if you don't wear sunscreen, then it can take a lot longer to get rid of the hyperpigmentation. I hope that isnt true.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/08/2012 3:49 am

you should wear sunscreen if you use aha/bha's, retin a, and or any product that can make your skin sensitive to the sun.

since i use all 3 im still looking for a sunscreen for summer as i will be out lot and i dont want to negate all the progress i have made.

but again im looking so i cant recommend atm but you should wear one.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/08/2012 6:09 am

I'm using sunscreen because my skin is hyperpigmented from acne scars. I'm now using Heliocare. it has a good rating on the net, but it makes my face oily and shiny. So far so good. I've tried other sunscreen before and i think heliocare is still the best (I don't want to throw it away, since it's kinda expensive and imported). You should wear sunscreen 20 mins before going out. Without sunscreen, the scars will be more visible and slowly aging the skin. Some people said it's better to wear physical sunscreen e.g. Titanium dioxide or zinc dioxide than chemical sunscreen like avonbenzone. Chemical sunscreen tend to be unstable on the skin.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/09/2012 2:18 pm

i like olay regenerist uv defense regenerating lotion. i use the spf 15 but they have a spf 50 too. it works well and does not clog my pores its the only stuff i will use on my face. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=olay+regenerist+uv+defense

MemberMember
(@vinchenzo)

Posted : 02/10/2012 2:30 am

I'm using sunscreen because my skin is hyperpigmented from acne scars. I'm now using Heliocare. it has a good rating on the net, but it makes my face oily and shiny. So far so good. I've tried other sunscreen before and i think heliocare is still the best (I don't want to throw it away, since it's kinda expensive and imported). You should wear sunscreen 20 mins before going out. Without sunscreen, the scars will be more visible and slowly aging the skin. Some people said it's better to wear physical sunscreen e.g. Titanium dioxide or zinc dioxide than chemical sunscreen like avonbenzone. Chemical sunscreen tend to be unstable on the skin.

I don't mind wearing sunscreen all that much but the thing that bothers me most is waiting for that 20 minutes before I can go out. I've been trying to look for a store with physical sunscreens but no luck. All I found was badgers sunscreen but it left a very very noticable white layer. Do you know any good physical sunscreens? Also they work like immediately after being applied right?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/11/2012 12:46 am

I don't mind wearing sunscreen all that much but the thing that bothers me most is waiting for that 20 minutes before I can go out. I've been trying to look for a store with physical sunscreens but no luck. All I found was badgers sunscreen but it left a very very noticable white layer. Do you know any good physical sunscreens? Also they work like immediately after being applied right?

I'm new to this sunscreen world. I started using sunscreen like 8 months ago. If you want to buy physical sunscreen, look at the ingredients. You should see titanium dioxide and zinc oxide on the list of the ingredients. The noticeable white layer is called white cast. What about the sunscreen that claim "dry touch" on the bottle? The color of my sunscreen is light orange, so it's blended with my skin. Have you ever tried Japan-made sunscreen? I once tried and it's good. it's light and the result is not "shiny and oily". I admit it's not really available in the US. They say we should apply sunscreen 20 mins before going out (out of the house). If not, the sunscreen won't work.

MemberMember
(@usnck)

Posted : 02/15/2012 5:22 pm

I'm seriously thinking about buying this sunscreen, supposed to go on clear, is non-pore clogging and isn't loaded with bad chemicals: http://www.menscience.com/mens-sunscreen-UVA-UVB-titanium-dioxide-sunblock.html

MemberMember
(@jmcsm)

Posted : 02/15/2012 9:32 pm

I usually don't like sunscreens at all because of the strong smell and the heavy feel on my skin but I am really liking Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock. I decided to try this after reading a lot of reviews and recommendations online. The one I use is SPF 55. They have SPF 30 up to SPF100+, The smell is a lot less strong than other sunscreens I've used.

It is non-comodegenic and their Helioplex technology is one of the most stable ones around for UVA. Helioplex stabalizes the Avobenzone with Oxybenzone which is one of the main ingredients. It is a sunblock so does not have moisturiser.

Like the name of it, it does go on sheer and dries fast. It is not greasy either. It has not broken me out or make my skin more oily. I use it after BP and AHA(those are the reasons why I am using this sunscreen). No balling up at all.

From what I've read, the patented Helioplex (Neutrogena) and Mexoryl (Loreal, La Roche-Posay and a few other brands) are said to be highly rated by dermatologists in terms of chemical sunscreens. We don't get the Loreal sunscreens here so I got the Neutrogena instead.

If you are interested to read more about sunscreen ingredients, you can check out the link below.

http://www.epa.gov/s...c/sunscreen.pdf

MemberMember
(@hapamommy)

Posted : 02/15/2012 9:47 pm

You need something with zinc oxide because the other sunscreen can inflame acne and other skin conditions. The problem is most sunscreens with zinc oxide (the main ingredient in diaper rash ointment) cold look very white. I just started using Elta MD UV Facial sunscreen for my PIH. It was transparent zinc oxide. Yeah, most sunscreens cause me to break out including the Cetaphil one.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/18/2012 6:10 am

I'm seriously thinking about buying this sunscreen, supposed to go on clear, is non-pore clogging and isn't loaded with bad chemicals: http://www.menscienc...e-sunblock.html

It has oxybenzone in the ingredients. a research by cdc said it causes harmful effects.

MemberMember
(@relentless-rasta)

Posted : 12/06/2012 12:19 pm

Neutrogena ultra sheer, dry touch sunblock spf 100+. Its really lightweight and a clean feel, fast absorbing, waterproof and the most important thing is that its no 1 in dermatologists recommendations for suncare. Be careful not to use to much or you look like a ghost a little goes a long way with this shizz!