Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WeSawThisComing

Best Course Of Action?

Well here's my story, Flashback to September/October, I had okay'ish skin, one or two Spots but nothing terrible, I didnt even use a Cleanser, I just Had a shower twice a day and let everything be. It was fine. I had never had any severe episodes of acne before and I hadn't really given it much thought. One day im looking in the mirror and i notice a cluster forming slap bang in the center of my forehead. No problem i thought, So i went to my local store and bought St Ives blemish control scub and a Facewash. The next day my face is Covered in spot's, it what i can only describe as the most shocking instance i have ever been in. Totally unexpected. So now i tryed several different Cleansers and scrubs, All doing absolutely nothing, Before i found this website and started looking for a Benzoyl Peroxide product.

I started using PanOxyl Aquagel 2.5%, It seems really tough and even after 3 weeks the redness hasnt gone down, Mild improvement, But then the purging, But still, the redness! So i stopped using it and just ordered some Oxy On the spot cream instead, Hoping its a little better.

But my question is, Am i aggravating my face too much, If i didn't have much of a problem before i started using all these products, Should i just stop using everything completely and see what happens?

try to avoid mechanical scrubs if you can (i.e. the abrasive ones) and switch to a chemical exfoliator (I think DermE do a BHA/AHA lotion and Paula's choice do one).

For me I used a salicylic acid containing face wash (for years I used Acnisal which can be bought through a pharmacy off prescription). Then apply a salicylic acid or beta-hydroxy acid containing liquid or toner. This increases the effectiveness of the BP which I would apply next and then a light moisturiser containing ideally 1.0% salicylic acid.

I've heard good things about Neutrogena's Clean and clear range (not used it myself) and look on the treatments page of this site for other cleansers and moisturisers.

Some ingredients you want to look out for in your cleanser/moisturiser:

Salicylic acid

beta or alpha-hydroxy acid

BP

AVOID: isopropyl myristate, lanolin, rosehip seed oil (this makes me break out)

Fragrances added into some of the brand formulas have made me break out in the past so I've avoided these.

With panoxyl it can cause redness itself but BP products are very effective on active acne. I also find that sudocrem dabbed on to the spot is also very very good and is super great if one accidentally pops! I would recommend the tube rather than the tub of it because the tube is more hygienic. Try to avoid touching, picking or squeezing. If a spot pops by accident, clean the area with a clean tissue/cotton wool pad, and in my opinion I think sudocrem is about the best of the healing creams.

If you;re concerned about harsh chemicals, a'kin (you can find this in big holland and barretts stores) do a good range of products with naturally derived ingredients.

Also I'm writing this as a personal recommendation, I'm not a doctor nor am I a pharmacist so if you are really concerned, ask a pharmacist what they recommend.

There's a great community here so there will be something that someone will recommend that you will find effective. Good luck!

Edited by dieffenbachia

But my question is, Am i aggravating my face too much, If i didn't have much of a problem before i started using all these products, Should i just stop using everything completely and see what happens?

YES avoid all the cleansers completely for atleast a week or 2 and see if your acne gets better. no cleansers means that you wont be irritating your acne means that the redness will go down. obviously you tried all these cleansers and none worked. think about it. your skin is begging you to stop aggravating it.

Let your face heal the acne naturally.

try to avoid mechanical scrubs if you can (i.e. the abrasive ones) and switch to a chemical exfoliator (I think DermE do a BHA/AHA lotion and Paula's choice do one).

For me I used a salicylic acid containing face wash (for years I used Acnisal which can be bought through a pharmacy off prescription). Then apply a salicylic acid or beta-hydroxy acid containing liquid or toner. This increases the effectiveness of the BP which I would apply next and then a light moisturiser containing ideally 1.0% salicylic acid.

I've heard good things about Neutrogena's Clean and clear range (not used it myself) and look on the treatments page of this site for other cleansers and moisturisers.

Some ingredients you want to look out for in your cleanser/moisturiser:

Salicylic acid

beta or alpha-hydroxy acid

BP

AVOID: isopropyl myristate, lanolin, rosehip seed oil (this makes me break out)

Fragrances added into some of the brand formulas have made me break out in the past so I've avoided these.

With panoxyl it can cause redness itself but BP products are very effective on active acne. I also find that sudocrem dabbed on to the spot is also very very good and is super great if one accidentally pops! I would recommend the tube rather than the tub of it because the tube is more hygienic. Try to avoid touching, picking or squeezing. If a spot pops by accident, clean the area with a clean tissue/cotton wool pad, and in my opinion I think sudocrem is about the best of the healing creams.

If you;re concerned about harsh chemicals, a'kin (you can find this in big holland and barretts stores) do a good range of products with naturally derived ingredients.

Also I'm writing this as a personal recommendation, I'm not a doctor nor am I a pharmacist so if you are really concerned, ask a pharmacist what they recommend.

There's a great community here so there will be something that someone will recommend that you will find effective. Good luck!

Wow, Thankyou for taking the time to write a detailed reply, I will Definitely take on board everything you have said!

YES avoid all the cleansers completely for atleast a week or 2 and see if your acne gets better. no cleansers means that you wont be irritating your acne means that the redness will go down. obviously you tried all these cleansers and none worked. think about it. your skin is begging you to stop aggravating it.

Let your face heal the acne naturally.

Thanks for the advice, I guess your right, Im going to stop on the BP and cleanser for a few weeks.