Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebennet

My Skin Care Regime

Hey Guys,

I just wanted some feedback on my skincare regime. So I have non-inflamed acne, which I have only just realised, I always thought it was inflamed (the only way it becomes inflamed is me picking it!) My main areas of concern are a few bumps under my skin, in the cheek area, scarring and blackheads. I used to suffer with cystic acne from when I was 12, and have been on accutane, and every other pill you could name, not to mention the topical treatments, and accutane did work, however that was 5 years ago and I still have some mild acne, it is no where near as bad as it has been, which I am thankful for, but I just want to get rid of these annoying bumps that I am so tempted to pick!

So in response to this, this is what I am doing:

Morning:

Washing with Cetaphil

Toning with a Liz Earle Skin Brightening Toner

Moisturising with Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturiser

Evening:

Washing with Cetaphil

Toning with Liz Earle Skin Brightening Toner

Every other day use PanOxyl 2.5% BP gel to disinfect

I also use my clarisonic 2/3 times a week and use the dermalogica Gentle Exfoliating Mask Once a week.

I have just ordered paula's choice 2% BHA liquid to use every evening instead of the Liz Earle toner.

I really have no idea about what ingredients are good for my skin etc, and I largely go on what is recommended on this forum, but some specific feedback would be great. Also I am from the UK.

Thank You!

xx

Im not familiar with the toner or the particular Benzoyl Peroxide treatment your using, but I would caution against the Dual Action moisturizer. I'm pretty sure that one has salicidic (spelling?) acid in it, which has only ever dried out my skin and never helped my acne. I would stick with just Benzoyl products for treating your acne.

I hate to recommend ProActiv for fear of sounding like too many people who say it works for everyone! but for mild acne it really is an excellent product. My acne became a lot worse in the late twenties, so I started accutane (so no more topical products for me for a while). But it's great in helping the tone and texture of skin.

Even if you only use the cleanser (which can be a bit rough on skin) once a day, or once every other day, its an excellent exfoliator. I actually still use it once in a rare while on my t-zone/forehead (that doesnt have severe acne), to get rid of the dark oil in my pore but I mixed it with cetaphil so it's extra super mild. If you decide to try that, and use it only once a day, I'd recommend using it at night - that way even if its a bit drying/reddening, you skin has a chance to chill out before you put makeup on/go out in public.

Cetaphil cleanser is a great product. I like the one for normal-oily skin best (the cleanser is clear white, not the milky-looking one) because it seems to soothe my skin. But, Cetaphil doesn't do anything to actually treat acne. Using it with ProActiv solves that :)

Also - as a teen, my derm prescribed an antibacterial lotion. I believe the name was Clindamicin, or Clyndamicin? Anywho, you mentioned you use a treatment to disinfect. This lotion was excellent for me when I had mild acne. It was also cheap, despite being a presciption.

Hope this helped. Good luck.