Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poster x

Can I Have Cheat Meals On An Elimination Diet?

I have recently started the paleo diet, and I was planning on having three cheat meals a week. But then I realised that this may not be appropriate if I'm elimination foods to see if it will improve my ance. From what I've read, my main concerns are to eat a low GI diet free of dairy. So I was thinking it might be better to switch to a low-GI deit instead of paleo, so that I'm more likely to stick to it, if I can't have cheat meals. I'm on the third day in it now and I'm feeling pretty tired, so unless there's any reason why paleo would be better than low GI that's probably what I'm going to do. But I need to know if I can have any cheat meals or if I literally cannot have any at all.

Defintiely not. I mean do what you want, but this won't do anything to help you. You can still be reacting to problem foods even weeks after eating them, so you really need to give up anything you're suspicious about for quite awhile.

You seem to have some things mixed up.

Elimination diets are about determining food intolerances. It won't work if you cheat by eating the food you are trying to test.

Paleo can be low GI if you only choose low GI foods. But yes, you can cheat once in a while in a low GI diet whether you are following paleo, South Beach or any other diet gimmick. How low GI you need to be varies from person to person and depends on what else you do. Sleep, physical activity and muscle, and various nutrients you may or may not be consuming all affect how well your body manages sugar.

Edited by alternativista

You seem to have some things mixed up.

Elimination diets are about determining food intolerances. It won't work if you cheat by eating the food you are trying to test.

Paleo can be low GI if you only choose low GI foods. But yes, you can cheat once in a while in a low GI diet whether you are following paleo, South Beach or any other diet gimmick. How low GI you need to be varies from person to person and depends on what else you do. Sleep, physical activity and muscle, and various nutrients you may or may not be consuming all affect how well your body manages sugar.

Thanks, I did have that mixed up.

So, as I understand it, a food intolerance is just one of the ways in which your diet could contribute to acne? So if Hi-Gi foods are contributing to my acne, its not a food intolerace? What about dairy, do you have to be intolerant to it for it to be contributing to your acne?

So if I have a food intolerance to something then I can be reacting to it for weeks afterward, but if its not a food intoleracne then I can afford to have cheat meals?

If diet is contributing to my ance, what is the chance that its through a food intolerance vs through some other mechanism?

Well, the problem is you won't know if you have a food intolerance til you eliminate things and test them. But I'd say yes, if you don't have an intolerance then unhealthy food once in a great while probably won't do much... the problem is a lot of people with acne have intolerances. Or at least mild allergies.

nooooo. If you cheat 3 times a week (depending on the cheat), you might not get the results you desire. Stick to it for at least a month before drawing any conclusions.

So, as I understand it, a food intolerance is just one of the ways in which your diet could contribute to acne? So if Hi-Gi foods are contributing to my acne, its not a food intolerace? What about dairy, do you have to be intolerant to it for it to be contributing to your acne?

So if I have a food intolerance to something then I can be reacting to it for weeks afterward, but if its not a food intoleracne then I can afford to have cheat meals?

If diet is contributing to my ance, what is the chance that its through a food intolerance vs through some other mechanism?

You don't know how nice it is to read all of that when so many other people just refuse to comprehend the many ways diet affects acne.

And yes, dairy does impact acne in other ways besides intolerance. Aside from foods to which you are intolerant, you want to mostly eat very well and keep your blood sugar stable as possible. But most people can cheat once in a while, ideally still keeping blood sugar as stable as possible by having the high GI thing after a good meal, after or with some sources of fat and fiber, after taking a fiber supplement, having only a small portion of the high GI think which keeps the GL low, etc. However, physical activity, muscle, sleep, stress, various nutrients all impact how well your body manages sugar and therefore how strict your diet needs to be.

If you haven't yet determined your food intolerances though, you do need to avoid the things you are testing, such as gluten/grains, and dairy for at least a month. And if you have any digestion, allergy or health issues that could be due to a damaged digestive tract, you should avoid all grains for a several months while consuming foods that heal digestion.

Poster X,

If you want to find out what really causes your acne you should take an allergy test (igG and igE). Two of the antibodies involved in allergic reactions are immunoglobulin E (IgE) and immunoglobulin G (IgG). IgE production occurs right after ingestion or inhalation of an allergen and is referred to as a Type I immediate hypersensitivity reaction. IgG antibodies are produced for several hours or days after exposure to an allergen and are called Type III delayed hypersensitivity reactions. There are several subclasses of IgG, with IgG1 and IgG4 of primary interest. IgG1 is believed to be the main inflammatory component as IgG4 does not activate the complement pathway. Nevertheless, IgG4 induces histamine release, and is a contributor to delayed sensitivity reactions. The IgG Allergy-Blood Spot Test measures Total IgG (includes subclasses 1,2,3,4).

If your body produces antibodies to 'triggering' foods, then you have food allergy/intolerance. If nothing comes up,then you should think about other possible causes of acne ( such as digestive problems, blood sugar levels, stress, hormonal changes, picking and etc).