Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hans83

What Food Allergy Test Should I Take?

What food allergy test should I take?

I'm a 28 year old sensitive/fair skinned male. I've had mild-moderate acne for 10+ years and have tried a variety of topical and antibiotic prescriptions with mixed results. Over the years I've noticed some things like ice cream seems to lead to increased breakouts over the following several days. So I'm thinking there is some sort of diet and or hormonal response going on. I'd like to take a food allergy test just to give me a leg up instead of having to take random stabs in the dark by giving up certain things for a month at a time. However, I don't really know what sort of allergy test I should be taking?-- It seems like there are a few different ones. Does anyone have any specific suggestions for tests they have found useful in identifying food allergies/acne triggers. Should I just go to my general doctor or is there someone else I should be speaking to? Thanks!

Thanks, there is tons of really good info there. I didn't see (unless I missed it..there is A LOT and I haven't gone through all of it yet) any links to types of allergy tests I might take though? I know trying to elimination diets is a good way to go, I just wanted to take a test and just sort of know right off the bat if I'm allergic to wheat or whatever so that I can start by eliminating that, rather than taking less-calculated attempts. If that info was in there, sorry, I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help.

Do u necessarily have to be Celiac or lactose intolreant in order to cut out gluten and dairy from your diet or these are generally bad for all acne suffereres? Does Diet affect acne only thru food allergies?

Edited by Amber07

Do u necessarily have to be Celiac or lactose intolreant in order to cut out gluten and dairy from your diet or these are generally bad for all acne suffereres? Does Diet affect acne only thru food allergies?

No, gluten and dairy affect people who are not celiac and are not lactose intolerant. And they affect clear skin people. And no, there are many, many ways diet affects acne. It affects your hormones, it affects the chronic inflammation that is at the root of acne formation, it affects how your organs function, it affects how you deal with stress, it affects your sleep. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/

No, gluten and dairy affect people who are not celiac and are not lactose intolerant. And they affect clear skin people. And no, there are many, many ways diet affects acne. It affects your hormones, it affects the chronic inflammation that is at the root of acne formation, it affects how your organs function, it affects how you deal with stress, it affects your sleep. http://www.acne.org/...ar-skin-health/

Yes, gluten and dairy can affect digestive system negatively, but they won't cause instant breakouts ( unless she's allergic to them). The point is, he can consume little dairy and wheat here and there, yet not making it the main part of her diet.

Edited by Natashagirl