Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm 23 and male. My acne was subdued during late high school and early college thanks to minocycline and topicals. Once I went off the minocycline, everything went crazy. I'll have 3-4 cysts at any given time, but not much else besides very minor acne on other parts of my face. I have very minor acne on my back, and the occasional pimple on my scalp, but don't get it anywhere else. The cysts normally don't hurt, they just take a while to go away. BP stopped having any effect whatsoever. I seem to have normal sebum levels.

There are two times in my life where I cleared up completely:

-A week at the beach

-Two days at the College World Series watching multiple baseball games per day in the sun, sweating like crazy all day.

I've cleared up for a few days at a time on other occasions, but I can't for the life of my figure out why.

I've been wanting to clear things up holistically, so I've been dilligent in living healthy and being watchful for foods that may trigger breakouts. I don't eat dairy, "white" carbs, refined sugars, fast food, "junk food," rarely drink alcohol, don't consume anything with caffeine, haven't ever done drugs. I went gluten free for a month when my wife thought she was gluten intolerant. I eat a very consistent diet to try and control variables. Breakfast is either oatmeal with kefir (which is normally fizzy, so I'm sure I'm getting probiotics from it) over top or eggs with ham (I've tried both for long stretches of time, and neither seems to be the culprit). Lunch is a spinach salad (sometimes with sunflower seeds), carrots, and two items that I've tried eliminating to figure out if they were problems: a Kashi honey almond flax bar and a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with mustard. Dinner varies, but I stick to the limits I listed above. One dietary clue I have was a next-day reaction after eating an excessive amount of pizza (with no cheese). Not sure why I did that, but I definitely elicited a response from it! The only topicals I use are the mildest Cetaphil and jojoba oil for moisturizing after I shower.

I've read about a lot of people's issues with food allergies, but they all seem to cite uncomfortable feelings or indigestion when eating those foods that they conveniently ignored before "discovering" the intolerance. The thing is, I feel totally healthy aside from my acne, and dry eyes (they don't burn or itch, they're just dry). The only things that make me feel horrible are excessive amounts of dessert, which I avoid because of the refined sugar. I am very lean and have quite healthy body fat, I haven't been sick for over a year, I exercise ~5 days a week, I SEEM to have healthy digestion, and I drink at least 16 cups of water a day. I work at a desk indoors all day, which is a bummer, but I do take my lunch hour outside, rain or shine.

I've tried 50mg of zinc and a B-complex to little avail. I've tried 4,000 IU of Vitamin D with no results. I've tried a daily general multivitamin with no results. I've tried fish oil with no results (though it was cheap, grocery store fish oil). My next supplement attempt is going to be magnesium.

I'm well aware of all the respones I'm going to get: get food allergy tested, go on the wai diet, go paleo, etc. I'm really just curious if anyone else has similar symptoms (for lack of a better word). I feel like I'm incredibly healthy except for acne, and if my acne was being caused by a certain part of my lifestyle, I would be feeling SOME other effect, but I'm not.

I have a problems with wheat and eggs...and pretty much everything the government subsidizes.

Sweating is good for the body, and saltwater at the beach has lots of good things for skin/swimming is good exercise (the best way to get your lymphatic system, a part of your body which removes toxins, moving). You were probably enjoying yourself a week at the beach/baseball games, no? My best bet would be get out more, in the sun that is. Do things that feel good. And get a good cod liver oil supplement, way mo' betta' than fish oil.

I experienced the same thing after going off of Minocycline..my acne got way worse for ~6 months. Now, many years later, my dermatologist talked me into trying doxycycline. I'm about 4 months in and have had mild results but now I'm starting to get some weird break outs (like on my forehead where I am typically really clear) so now I'm getting worried the same thing is going to happen when I go off doxycycline.

In regards to the food allergies, I'm think they do play some role although I haven't gotten tested yet. I don't 'feel' sick or anything no matter what I eat but I do notice sometimes I get breakouts in the days following excessive consumption of a particular food like ice cream.

I've tried a myriad of vitamins at various times and some things may have helped but nothing was ever a miracle cure.

I've read about a lot of people's issues with food allergies, but they all seem to cite uncomfortable feelings or indigestion when eating those foods that they conveniently ignored before "discovering" the intolerance.

I notice no discomfort from the food that causes me to break out in cysts the next day. And I really don't ever get indigestion or other digestion related issues. And I have a suspicion, based only on anecdotal evidence, that cysts and nodules tend to be reactions to a food or other allergen and not true acne. I'd try a methodical elimination diet.

Edited by alternativista

I have a problems with wheat and eggs...and pretty much everything the government subsidizes.

Sweating is good for the body, and saltwater at the beach has lots of good things for skin/swimming is good exercise (the best way to get your lymphatic system, a part of your body which removes toxins, moving). You were probably enjoying yourself a week at the beach/baseball games, no? My best bet would be get out more, in the sun that is. Do things that feel good. And get a good cod liver oil supplement, way mo' betta' than fish oil.

Like I said, I exercise/sweat a lot and I've never noticed that really helping or hurting much. I do try to get outside often, but that can be difficult when it's 120° here in Houston. I'll look into cod liver oil; it was mentioned in an overview I recently read about the gut/brain/skin connection. Two scientists back in the 30's had suggested probiotics and cod liver oil as a clinically proven effective method of reducing acne lesions. I guess somewhere we lost our way with all our corporate cronyism, and research on these kinds of treatments fell by the wayside.

I experienced the same thing after going off of Minocycline..my acne got way worse for ~6 months. Now, many years later, my dermatologist talked me into trying doxycycline. I'm about 4 months in and have had mild results but now I'm starting to get some weird break outs (like on my forehead where I am typically really clear) so now I'm getting worried the same thing is going to happen when I go off doxycycline.

In regards to the food allergies, I'm think they do play some role although I haven't gotten tested yet. I don't 'feel' sick or anything no matter what I eat but I do notice sometimes I get breakouts in the days following excessive consumption of a particular food like ice cream.

I've tried a myriad of vitamins at various times and some things may have helped but nothing was ever a miracle cure.

I'm going to begin doing probiotics and fiber supplementation after reading extensively about minocycline. Apparently there are doubts about its safety. Terrifying to think that we've had it prescribed for us!

I've read about a lot of people's issues with food allergies, but they all seem to cite uncomfortable feelings or indigestion when eating those foods that they conveniently ignored before "discovering" the intolerance.

I notice no discomfort from the food that causes me to break out in cysts the next day. And I really don't ever get indigestion or other digestion related issues. And I have a suspicion, based only on anecdotal evidence, that cysts and nodules tend to be reactions to a food or other allergen and not true acne. I'd try a methodical elimination diet.

Thanks for your comment. Maybe it is a food allergy reaction. If they were allergic reactions, couldn't you theoretically use similar drugs to those used to treat "traditional" allergies to treat acne? Also, wouldn't those reactions happen close to 100% of the time you were exposed to the culprit food, in same way or another? Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to pick out the offenders, given enough time...

Thanks for your comment. Maybe it is a food allergy reaction. If they were allergic reactions, couldn't you theoretically use similar drugs to those used to treat "traditional" allergies to treat acne? Also, wouldn't those reactions happen close to 100% of the time you were exposed to the culprit food, in same way or another? Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to pick out the offenders, given enough time...

It's come up more than once to take allergy drugs for acne with many people joining the experiment here and on other discussion boards. The end result is usually that it's not a good idea to take them long term. There are natural antihistimines like vitamin C. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/page__view__findpost__p__2574130

What about topically, for possible spots occurring due to a food allergy? I keep getting almost completely clear, then will get a papule out of nowhere. I'm looking more into a phenol/salicylate sensitivity but that cuts out so many good things for the human body. Phenols are supposed to be good for you! I can't even really find a conclusive list online of low-phenol/salicylate (besides things like dyes and TBHQ) foods. I'd really rather not be afraid of produce but I suppose a possible route would be sticking to meat, buckwheat, and white foods like daikon radish, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. for a week.