Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
botwinte

Acne Unexpectedly Cleared

First post here, I'm a little confused about what's happened recently, so I'm just gonna write and hopefully it'll make sense.

I've had acne for a couple years and have gradually taken on a lot of the advice found on this forum. Up until recently, I've been:

- avoiding dairy, wheat, refined sugars, alcohol, etc.

- washing my face twice daily and moisturising.

- drinking a LOT of water, like 3+ litres probably

- eating a lot of fruit (fruit and veg smoothies especially)

- taking fish oil, zinc, vit D supplements

- trying not to touch my face, washing pillowcase often

All of that, and I was so sure that these things were helping. I noticed that my skin would slowly get better and better as long as I stuck to these things. HOWEVER, I have very poor willpower, so quite often I would go out drinking heavily, or eat a bunch of chocolate or something, and my skin would instantly breakout again. Basically, I saw a clear correlation between doing all these things, and having clear skin....

Then, a couple weeks ago I went on holiday, and for whatever reason I just abandoned my whole regimen. I was up in Scotland, and I spent about 2 weeks drinking a ton of beer, eating chocolate and heavy, dairy/carb/sugar-filled meals, washing my face less often and less thoroughly, and forgetting all my supplements. I was prepared for the worst, but my skin was fine!! It was smoother and less inflamed than it had been for ages, and actually almost cleared up completely during the 2 weeks!

Now I'm back home, started up the regimen again, and my skin went back to being quite red, maybe 70% clear most of the time, but can get much worse VERY quickly. I'm now experimenting with all the possible things that I can think of to rationalise this:

- HUMIDITY. I spend all day in an office (which I didn't do on holiday) that can get very dry. What to do about this, since I can't get around this? Perhaps moisturise during the day? A desk humidifier??

- LESS VIGOROUS FACE WASHING. When my skin gets bad I know I have a tendency to wash it more, and I scrub it under the hot shower water, which may irritate it.

- TOO MUCH WATER (?). I noticed I was going to the toilet a lot when I was drinking so much water, and actually I would often feel dehydrated with dry lips, etc.

- MISSING SOMETHING IN MY DIET. Maybe avoiding all the foods that I was meant I was missing out on something which was messing with my hormones etc.

- PSYCHOLOGICAL. After the first couple of days of holiday, I completely forgot about my skin, maybe this had some subconscious effect.

And other than that, I literally can't think of how I could eat all that junk, drink whatever I wanted, and my skin got BETTER! Anyone got any ideas/experienced something like this?

First post here, I'm a little confused about what's happened recently, so I'm just gonna write and hopefully it'll make sense.

I've had acne for a couple years and have gradually taken on a lot of the advice found on this forum. Up until recently, I've been:

- avoiding dairy, wheat, refined sugars, alcohol, etc.

- washing my face twice daily and moisturising.

- drinking a LOT of water, like 3+ litres probably

- eating a lot of fruit (fruit and veg smoothies especially)

- taking fish oil, zinc, vit D supplements

- trying not to touch my face, washing pillowcase often

All of that, and I was so sure that these things were helping. I noticed that my skin would slowly get better and better as long as I stuck to these things. HOWEVER, I have very poor willpower, so quite often I would go out drinking heavily, or eat a bunch of chocolate or something, and my skin would instantly breakout again. Basically, I saw a clear correlation between doing all these things, and having clear skin....

Then, a couple weeks ago I went on holiday, and for whatever reason I just abandoned my whole regimen. I was up in Scotland, and I spent about 2 weeks drinking a ton of beer, eating chocolate and heavy, dairy/carb/sugar-filled meals, washing my face less often and less thoroughly, and forgetting all my supplements. I was prepared for the worst, but my skin was fine!! It was smoother and less inflamed than it had been for ages, and actually almost cleared up completely during the 2 weeks!

Now I'm back home, started up the regimen again, and my skin went back to being quite red, maybe 70% clear most of the time, but can get much worse VERY quickly. I'm now experimenting with all the possible things that I can think of to rationalise this:

- HUMIDITY. I spend all day in an office (which I didn't do on holiday) that can get very dry. What to do about this, since I can't get around this? Perhaps moisturise during the day? A desk humidifier??

- LESS VIGOROUS FACE WASHING. When my skin gets bad I know I have a tendency to wash it more, and I scrub it under the hot shower water, which may irritate it.

- TOO MUCH WATER (?). I noticed I was going to the toilet a lot when I was drinking so much water, and actually I would often feel dehydrated with dry lips, etc.

- MISSING SOMETHING IN MY DIET. Maybe avoiding all the foods that I was meant I was missing out on something which was messing with my hormones etc.

- PSYCHOLOGICAL. After the first couple of days of holiday, I completely forgot about my skin, maybe this had some subconscious effect.

And other than that, I literally can't think of how I could eat all that junk, drink whatever I wanted, and my skin got BETTER! Anyone got any ideas/experienced something like this?

Pack your bags and back to Scotland. When I moved from Russia my acne got worse. I guess its because of food in the US or water....

NEVER put hot water on your skin. It just damages it, removes moisture from it, and pisses it off.

Less irritation = the better your skin will be.

And only wash it twice a day, no point in stripping it over and over again.

Only use tepid water, and rub very gently.

PSYCHOLOGICAL. I think no matter what is said or believed this still holds true. The less focus and attention I give this problem the better I am...overall. I just had my Derm.appt this afternoon. His exact words: "Looks like you grew out of this phase of acne" what the heckers does that mean? I have another one to look forward too? Screw that and this and your lotions/pills. I had no acne up until 25 years of age. I think I had like 1 pimple in High School and none in college. I did whatever I wanted, drank and ate whatever I wanted and boom. Life is for living. I wash my face and moisturize. After that I'm done. I've been doing that for 6 months and I'm clear. He said I outgrew it...I say I stopped thinking about it. I'm tired and I follow what I need too because of food allergies but other than that I'm doing no more. Errr.

i read about some stories, claiming that when they moved out, acne cleared up, I'd say the wheater and humidity. This experiment could be quite difficult, or you might now wanna take the risk....do everything you did in sclotland!

lack of stress and probably the beer, it contains some good stuff, it is fermented.

you were out of your usual surroundings, which may have released you from your usual thought patterns, or ummmm worry patterns!! thoughts are connected to things, out of sight out of mind.

if you are avoiding wheat, you are making it harder to get magnesium, perhaps the most important mineral to the human body next to calcium and potassium, because your heart needs it to continue beating correctly.

what type of beer were you drinking?

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Were you avoiding saturated fat before the holiday? Your body needs it. It might be nothing, but the whole "lots of fruit" thing always sets off alarm bells for me.

Washing your face less would have helped too.

Your circadian rhythm, melatonin production and digestion, happened to amend. This has happened for me several times and always cleared up my acne in no time. It usually requires a lot of day-time light exposure to eyes and sometimes alcohol can even further aid it. There's a thread in adult acne section by databased called "zincless zinc-regimen" that further explains it.

How to maintain it is still a pain in the ass.

Wheat is not an important source of magnesium or anything else I can think of that you can't get elsewhere. Isolated wheat bran and wheat germ are pretty good sources. But Greens like spinach, swiss chard, sea vegetables are much better sources. There's magnesium in the chlorophyll. And almost any nut, seed, other grain and seafood are as good and many are better sources. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75

Your circadian rhythm, melatonin production and digestion, happened to amend. This has happened for me several times and always cleared up my acne in no time. It usually requires a lot of day-time light exposure to eyes and sometimes alcohol can even further aid it. There's a thread in adult acne section by databased called "zincless zinc-regimen" that further explains it.

Edited by alternativista