Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here is "treating" there pcos symptoms with diet. I've recently been diagnosed with it and although I'm on accutane now and it's working, I'm kind of scared it will come back when I stop. I also have other symptoms like hair loss, irregular menstrual cycle and i'm a little bit hairy :P

I'm already trying to eat low GI food. I've cut out rice, pasta, potatoes and I've gone from 5 or 6 slices of bread a day to 2. I'm trying to eat lots of veggies and not so much fruit. I'm not eating any candy and stuff, only dark chocolate (85% cocoa). And I'm taking a calcium + vit D supplement since I was a kid, because I've never eaten dairy.

Do you guys maybe have some tips? Or even better, experience? :D

Thanks!

Sweetjade, the person that is practically the founder of the nutrition forum, suffered from PCOS and Celiac and she controlled her conditions via diet.

I subscribe to a PCOS newsletter and the diet, nutrient and lifestyle recommendation for PCOS are the same as what is recommended for acne. Or my version of it anyway based on a lot of research. It's also the diet to prevent/reverse diabetes, aging, heart disease, etc. Because it is how humans should eat.

It's not specific as to what foods so there are many diets you can follow so long as you do it in a way that achieves the basic principles:

What you want is a nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. And you need to sleep well, keep as natural as possible circadian rhythm, manage stress and be physically active but in ways that do not cause inflammation. Avoid or manage stress. Don't irritate your skin topically.

I spelled all that out in more detail recently in this post: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/196132-immune-response/page__view__findpost__p__3201694 Which is in a thread that includes many posts by Sweetjade citing several studies.

Sweetjade, the person that is practically the founder of the nutrition forum, suffered from PCOS and Celiac and she controlled her conditions via diet.

I subscribe to a PCOS newsletter and the diet, nutrient and lifestyle recommendation for PCOS are the same as what is recommended for acne. Or my version of it anyway based on a lot of research. It's also the diet to prevent/reverse diabetes, aging, heart disease, etc. Because it is how humans should eat.

It's not specific as to what foods so there are many diets you can follow so long as you do it in a way that achieves the basic principles:

What you want is a nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. And you need to sleep well, keep as natural as possible circadian rhythm, manage stress and be physically active but in ways that do not cause inflammation. Avoid or manage stress. Don't irritate your skin topically.

I spelled all that out in more detail recently in this post: http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__3201694 Which is in a thread that includes many posts by Sweetjade citing several studies.

Oops, I'm a bad sleeper and I'm pretty stressed most of the time. That's going to be the hardest thing to manage :P

Thank you for the link, really interesting. Diet wise I think I'm doing okay, except I still eat some bread and I've never tested myself if I have any intolerances.

I see you're also taking supplements. How did you decide which ones to take? Is that different for every person?

I see you're also taking supplements. How did you decide which ones to take? Is that different for every person?

Those things in my signature are old and don't necessarily apply anymore. My signature is much longer than is now allowed and if I touch it, I can't save it.

It is different in everyone because they eat different foods and have slightly different problems.

Zinc and omega 3s are good things to try. D is essential to everyone who doesn't get to spend enough time out in the sun midday with their torso exposed. And I don't mean the amount of D in your calcium supplement which you probably do not need. The planet is filled with people who don't consume dairy and have perfectly strong bones. It's rare to be deficient in Calcium. What people are deficient in is the other nutrients needed to make bones. C, D and magnesium are a few off the top of my head. Also, most Calcium supplements are worthless. Chew up some egg shells or fish bones if you want to get everything your bones need.

Magnesium is another that's important for just about everything, hard to get from diet and not supplied in adequate amounts in a multi because it would make for a really big pill. One good way to get it is by taking epsom salt baths. Magnesium will help you relax and sleep.

BTW: Some of the studies cited in the pinned Clinical Studies thread are on PCOS sufferers.

Edited by alternativista

Those things in my signature are old and don't necessarily apply anymore. My signature is much longer than is now allowed and if I touch it, I can't save it.

It is different in everyone because they eat different foods and have slightly different problems.

Zinc and omega 3s are good things to try. D is essential to everyone who doesn't get to spend enough time out in the sun midday with their torso exposed. And I don't mean the amount of D in your calcium supplement which you probably do not need. The planet is filled with people who don't consume dairy and have perfectly strong bones. It's rare to be deficient in Calcium. What people are deficient in is the other nutrients needed to make bones. C, D and magnesium are a few off the top of my head. Also, most Calcium supplements are worthless. Chew up some egg shells or fish bones if you want to get everything your bones need.

Magnesium is another that's important for just about everything, hard to get from diet and not supplied in adequate amounts in a multi because it would make for a really big pill. One good way to get it is by taking epsom salt baths. Magnesium will help you relax and sleep.

BTW: Some of the studies cited in the pinned Clinical Studies thread are on PCOS sufferers.

So how much vitamine D should you take? I'm not outside a lot and there isn't a lot of sunshine in my country.

I've actually been taking calcium supplements since I was 10 years old, my gp and parents told me to. I always thought calcium was only found in dairy products..

Unfortunately I don't have a bath :( I used to take magnesium + iron + zinc tablets, but I never looked at the amounts in the supplement.

Guess I have some reading to do, thanks!

You might want to check out Peggy Emch's blog, The Primal Parent. She also manages her PCOS with diet.

Wow thanks! It kind of makes me nervous that stress can have so much impact as well. It's not like you can just decide not to be stressed as you can decide not to eat something.

So how much vitamine D should you take? I'm not outside a lot and there isn't a lot of sunshine in my country.

I've actually been taking calcium supplements since I was 10 years old, my gp and parents told me to. I always thought calcium was only found in dairy products..

I'd say between 2-5,000 and you need to try to get sun too, while it is high in the sky. UVB rays bounce off the atmosphere when they hit at an angle. If your shadow is taller than you, you won't make much D. There's some evidence that your body makes a water soluble form of D (D-sulfate) that isn't available via supplements and is necessary for some of the functions vitamin D is credited with.

There's calcium in broccoli, spinach, almonds, and other greens and seeds, stock made by boiling bones. Fish bones as in canned sardines. all kinds of foods. Don't consume things that impairs the body's ability to use calcium or causes the body to take calcium from the bones. Like the phosphoric acid in sodas and other carbonated drinks, excessive amounts of caffeine, salt, sugar, alcohol. Cigarette smoking. drugs like aspirin, antacids, cortisone and corticosteroids, antibiotics, Stress and depression. Scroll to the bottom of this page for recipes to maximize the calcium absorption from some foods. Make your own 'supplements.' Most calcium supplements come from rocks. The calcium in animal bones, shells and plants is much more usable by the body.

Also oxalic acid in many veggies, but they would not be my first choice on things to avoid. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

Wow thanks! It kind of makes me nervous that stress can have so much impact as well. It's not like you can just decide not to be stressed as you can decide not to eat something.

Well there are a lot of things you can do to manage stress. Exercise, meditation, yoga, painting, music, sewing, reading, anything that lets you relax and escape reality for a bit. When you're calm, think of ways to remove the stressful areas of your life or how you can maximize the good things. Also, eating a certain way doesn't have to be stressful either. As long as you have good reason for doing something, it should naturally feel good. It will probably take time to get used to eating and living a different way, but then it becomes the norm.

I'd say between 2-5,000 and you need to try to get sun too, while it is high in the sky. UVB rays bounce off the atmosphere when they hit at an angle. If your shadow is taller than you, you won't make much D. There's some evidence that your body makes a water soluble form of D (D-sulfate) that isn't available via supplements and is necessary for some of the functions vitamin D is credited with.

There's calcium in broccoli, spinach, almonds, and other greens and seeds, stock made by boiling bones. Fish bones as in canned sardines. all kinds of foods. Don't consume things that impairs the body's ability to use calcium or causes the body to take calcium from the bones. Like the phosphoric acid in sodas and other carbonated drinks, excessive amounts of caffeine, salt, sugar, alcohol. Cigarette smoking. drugs like aspirin, antacids, cortisone and corticosteroids, antibiotics, Stress and depression. Scroll to the bottom of this page for recipes to maximize the calcium absorption from some foods. Make your own 'supplements.' Most calcium supplements come from rocks. The calcium in animal bones, shells and plants is much more usable by the body.

Also oxalic acid in many veggies, but they would not be my first choice on things to avoid. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

Wow, that much? In IU of mcg's? I should probably start taking some mid day walks then. What do you think about sunscreen?

I eat a lot of almonds and a lot of green veggies, so I'm probably getting more calcium than I thought I was. Thanks for the info!

Well there are a lot of things you can do to manage stress. Exercise, meditation, yoga, painting, music, sewing, reading, anything that lets you relax and escape reality for a bit. When you're calm, think of ways to remove the stressful areas of your life or how you can maximize the good things. Also, eating a certain way doesn't have to be stressful either. As long as you have good reason for doing something, it should naturally feel good. It will probably take time to get used to eating and living a different way, but then it becomes the norm.

Yes, it's definitely going to take some time, but I really want to go for it!

I'm really not into meditating and yoga, but I do love reading and just relaxing with my music, so should definitely do that more often. And exercising is a good one, I need to get off my lazy butt :P

I'm really not into meditating and yoga, but I do love reading and just relaxing with my music, so should definitely do that more often. And exercising is a good one, I need to get off my lazy butt tongue.png

Take those walks. Sunscreen will block the UVB rays and so you wouldn't be able to make vitamin D. So, I'd skip it unless you will be in the sun for hours, especially this time of year. Your torso makes the most D, btw. Not that much is made in the face and hands. I think much of the human race has been deficient for a really long time. It makes me wonder how many diseases might not have ever made the transfer from animals to humans if your immune systems were functioning.

I'm really not into meditating and yoga, but I do love reading and just relaxing with my music, so should definitely do that more often. And exercising is a good one, I need to get off my lazy butt tongue.png

Take those walks. Sunscreen will block the UVB rays and so you wouldn't be able to make vitamin D. So, I'd skip it unless you will be in the sun for hours, especially this time of year. Your torso makes the most D, btw. Not that much is made in the face and hands. I think much of the human race has been deficient for a really long time. It makes me wonder how many diseases might not have ever made the transfer from animals to humans if your immune systems were functioning.

Well, walking outside without my thick fluffy coat is not going to happen anytime soon :P But I am going to Spain, so I'll be getting some sun there :D

But if you are making the most vitamine D in your torso, can you still put spf only on your face? That doesn't interfere with the process then right?

Well, walking outside without my thick fluffy coat is not going to happen anytime soon tongue.png But I am going to Spain, so I'll be getting some sun there biggrin.png

But if you are making the most vitamine D in your torso, can you still put spf only on your face? That doesn't interfere with the process then right?

I would say yes, if much of your torso is exposed, then covering your face will make little difference to the amount of D you make.

Well, walking outside without my thick fluffy coat is not going to happen anytime soon tongue.png But I am going to Spain, so I'll be getting some sun there biggrin.png

I would say yes, if much of your torso is exposed, then covering your face will make little difference to the amount of D you make.

Perfect! Thank you for all the info :)

Check out the iodine forums on www.curezone.com

I think you should post your situation there and talk to them. Iodine has helped people with this condition too, it's important for the body anyway, and would be a good thing to do alongside a healthy diet.