Notifications
Clear all

Does Acne/scars Affect Your Chances At Getting A Job?

MemberMember
(@hiimmatt)

Posted : 01/12/2012 2:52 am

Ok, so...Im tired of not having some cash in my pockets at 18 years old X_x. So, in a few weeks im going on a HUGE hunt for a job so i can help my family with food, bills, ect and also have a little spending money. But im afarid of one thing...The acne and the scars. I worried this might affect my chances. I mean, its hard enough even thinking about working around and with a bunch of people, but i also gotta worry about if i'll get the job or not. So, does acne/scars affect your chances at getting a job? D:

Really would appereciate any answers.

MemberMember
(@jefrey)

Posted : 01/12/2012 3:44 am

No, its all about how your persuade the employer to hire you.

Let say I met this guy whi is working in a call support cmpany, he has bad acne problem but customer still loves him because he provide great support

Ok, so...Im tired of not having some cash in my pockets at 18 years old X_x. So, in a few weeks im going on a HUGE hunt for a job so i can help my family with food, bills, ect and also have a little spending money. But im afarid of one thing...The acne and the scars. I worried this might affect my chances. I mean, its hard enough even thinking working around and with a bunch of people, but i also gotta worry about if i'll get the job or not. So, does acne/scars affect your chances at getting a job? D:

MemberMember
(@zappo)

Posted : 01/12/2012 6:09 am

not really unless you are going to be a model...

how you act in the interview will determine the outcome..

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 01/12/2012 7:36 am

I was really broken out when I went and got my last job. I remember being sat in the interview, knowing that my skin was horrible, and I was sweating because I was nervous and everything was gross. But the interview itself was the best one I'd ever done and I was certain I'd get the job because of how well I did. No doubt, the people who conducted the interview will have seen my skin. No idea what they thought of it or how that shaped their opinion of me, but in the end I guess the only opinion they focused on was what I would be like as a potential employee.

I've been unemployed for six months now, haven't even bothered looking for a new work because I wanted to sort some issues out and get my skin under control. The only reason I wanted to fix my acne before I put myself back out there was so that I didn't have that source of anxiety getting in the way. I had to do that because a lack of confidence in general meant it's always been too easy for me to let the acne dictate what I was doing, thinking or feeling so this time, I wanted to remove that and have total control instead. But in terms of going for a job, if there was something I liked the look of then I'd go for it either way and I'd give it my best shot. That's all we ever can do and giving it our best is probably what will help us get a position anyway.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 01/12/2012 3:40 pm

Ok, so...Im tired of not having some cash in my pockets at 18 years old X_x. So, in a few weeks im going on a HUGE hunt for a job so i can help my family with food, bills, ect and also have a little spending money. But im afarid of one thing...The acne and the scars. I worried this might affect my chances. I mean, its hard enough even thinking working around and with a bunch of people, but i also gotta worry about if i'll get the job or not. So, does acne/scars affect your chances at getting a job? D:

Yea, I've been thinking about this recently. But I guess employers wouldn't pay attention to your acne,unless it makes youn feel really embarrassed and it has a huge impact on your self esteem. Just be confident and smile. I've seen tons of people with acne yet with a job.

MemberMember
(@tyga)

Posted : 01/12/2012 4:38 pm

Many acne sufferers have found jobs despite their skin problems. You are going to be fine. Everyone needs to make money. Except me. Because I am rich.

MemberMember
(@somegirl0106)

Posted : 01/12/2012 8:21 pm

I doubt it. Unless you're applying to be a model or something like that. I had acne and I went out and applied for jobs anyways. I put some foundation over it but of course you could still see the bumpy texture underneath it. I still managed to find a job. I've been working there 4 months now. Since I've started my acne has gotten worse despite numerous dermatologist appointments but they haven't fired me or said anything about it.

MemberMember
(@chelseabmc)

Posted : 01/13/2012 2:26 pm

I don't think they are worried about your acne as much as you are. of course you will have bad days... especially if you have to work with a lot of different people, but this actually helped me- its easier said than done about not letting your acne effect how you're feeling & therefore how your work is done. you will make new friends in your workplace & the last topic if ever will be about your acne. GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN !!

MemberMember
(@alliecats)

Posted : 01/13/2012 8:39 pm

I know im gonna sound like the mean one.... but sometimes i think my acne has had some affect on getting a job. It really sucks to say but i think you asking this question kinda says it all. This is a cruel world at the end of the day.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/06/2012 1:06 am

i have been to several job interviews, and have been denied on all cases.

In my opinion, i think it affects you when it comes to jobs that require LOTS of customer interaction. Other than that, they probably won't care

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/06/2012 1:27 am

i have been to several job interviews, and have been denied on all cases.

In my opinion, i think it affects you when it

comes to jobs that require LOTS of customer

interaction. Other than that, they probably won't

care

What jobs don't require customer interaction? That shit sounds like a dream job.

MemberMember
(@kaafee123)

Posted : 10/06/2012 10:09 am

IMO yes it affects lots of jobs as it kills your self-esteem and at the end of the day I look like some insecure closed up shell of a person sitting there at the interview table barely speaking loud enough.

I'm so glad I found a truck driver job though. It's one of those small trucks, and I drive around all day and NEVER have to see or interact with a person I don't want to. It has done wonders for my stress levels, and before for my previous retail jobs I never wanted to go - every day was a constant battle because I knew I was going to see at least 50+ people that day...

MemberMember
(@leavemealone)

Posted : 10/06/2012 10:15 am

I'm only 17 years old and I haven't even gone for a job interview yet, but I get where you're coming from. A guy in my grade at school has incredibly severe acne and he works in a supermarket. From what I got told, he gets comments every now and then from random customers about his skin, which is pretty low, but without asking him, he said on Facebook that he passed the interview with flying colours, so if the guy giving the interview isn't judgmental or anything, then I guess you could say it doesn't really affect me.

MemberMember
(@kaafee123)

Posted : 10/06/2012 10:30 am

I'm only 17 years old and I haven't even gone for a job interview yet, but I get where you're coming from. A guy in my grade at school has incredibly severe acne and he works in a supermarket. From what I got told, he gets comments every now and then from random customers about his skin, which is pretty low, but without asking him, he said on Facebook that he passed the interview with flying colours, so if the guy giving the interview isn't judgmental or anything, then I guess you could say it doesn't really affect me.

That's crazy dude. You have to realize not everyone can put up with that kind of emotional trauma. After the first customer comment about my skin I would quit right there and then, even if it meant living homeless on the street.

MemberMember
(@leavemealone)

Posted : 10/06/2012 10:35 am

That's crazy dude. You have to realize not everyone can put up with that kind of emotional trauma. After the first customer comment about my skin I would quit right there and then, even if it meant living homeless on the street.

He's brave, that's for sure. From back stabbing to getting laughed at, he still goes out and does what he does. Hell, I don't even think he cares about his skin that much. I mean, I don't know him that well, but I respect him to an extent I guess.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/11/2012 11:41 pm

Not at all. When I was working at a restaurant one of our servers had ( not horrible, but I'd say moderate ) acne and scarring. No one cared, no one really noticed. He was a fun guy and a great employee.

MemberMember
(@jps)

Posted : 10/14/2012 7:07 pm

I would say it depends on the type of job your applying for, but at the end of the day I think exuding confidence is the most important.

MemberMember
(@melissa6980)

Posted : 10/28/2012 1:38 am

Many acne sufferers have found jobs despite their skin problems. You are going to be fine. Everyone needs to make money. Except me. Because I am rich.

LOL. Can I have some of that money? :)

------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is old, but I wanted to post because I've had the same worry and thought this post might help other sufferers who might not have read it. I have had my acne flare up before job interviews and guess what?! I got the job!!!! So, surprisingly to me, no it doesn't necessarily keep you from getting the job. I was pretty clear up until 4-5 weeks ago then I started flaring up. I had two HUGE red flaky cysts on my forehead (think very very large boils) when I went in for my last job interview and I still got the job. I just finished my first week of work and had yet another little flare up. grrrrrr. No one is treating me differently at work at all. They've all been pretty nice. Also, back when I was 18, I believe I was broken out pretty badly for my first ever job interview and I still got a job at a grocery store which included plenty of customer interaction.

MemberMember
(@hunyeo)

Posted : 10/28/2012 2:05 am

Im not sure if it does affect the chances of getting the job.. But im sure the courage you need to apply for a job is the thing you have to overcome first. I want to apply to a bank but i dont even have the courage to take my pic for the resume. I really want to apply. Its just difficult.

I hope you have more courage than me..