Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jralston8

Cycling Off Antibiotics?

So when all the drugstore and proactiv products didn't help clear my mild/moderate acne, I broke and went to the dermatoligist. She put me on doxycycline as well as epiduo gel. Well three months later, the prescriptions she gave me. along with a diet consisting of ALOT of water and very few dairy products, have paid off. My acne is basically non existent, except for the red marks left behind. However, she sees how well it's working and says shes going to start cycling me off of the antibiotics. She gave me three more refills for the doxy and said to eventually just take one pill a day, instead of the two.

The thing is....

I'm scared to death of going off the antibiotics. I've heard that its common for those that go off the antibiiotics for the acne to come back, and I cannot deal with that again. Is that a myth guys? or should I honestly be concerned? If cycling off isn't that bad how should I do it? I have two months left of pills and still haven't started lowering my dosage a day just because I'm scared.

For those of you that have cycled off antibiotics, how did it work for you and how did you go about it?

I hope this works for you. It didn't for me...whenever I've gone off antibiotics the acne comes back. I'm now doing a whole nutritional approach because I've been dealing with this for decades and the derm says I can't do any more antibiotics. If you're still young (20-30's) then antibiotics may buy you time until your hormones stabilize and the acne will naturally fade away. I hope this is the case for you!

I know it can be scary, but think positive...and you need to start tapering your dosage back now. For about 2-3 weeks, take only one pill a day, then start taking them every other day. Also, there are numerous probiotics you can take to help rebuild your bacterial count, and that will make your body less likely to freak out because they'll be more of a balance in your system.

I took doxycycline for 18 months a long time ago, and I was the one who wanted to quit because eventually the effectiveness wore off and the potential cost of long term antibiotic use (resistance) just isn't worth it, in my opinion. I tapered the dose slowly over a couple months, took probiotics, and hoped and prayed for the best. I had a slight breakout afterwards, but nothing major and after I started my new topicals, it slowly went away.

Keep us updated. =)

I know it can be scary, but think positive...and you need to start tapering your dosage back now. For about 2-3 weeks, take only one pill a day, then start taking them every other day. Also, there are numerous probiotics you can take to help rebuild your bacterial count, and that will make your body less likely to freak out because they'll be more of a balance in your system.

I took doxycycline for 18 months a long time ago, and I was the one who wanted to quit because eventually the effectiveness wore off and the potential cost of long term antibiotic use (resistance) just isn't worth it, in my opinion. I tapered the dose slowly over a couple months, took probiotics, and hoped and prayed for the best. I had a slight breakout afterwards, but nothing major and after I started my new topicals, it slowly went away.

Keep us updated. =)

Hi Kairasa,

so are you clear now? was it the doxy that cleared you? I'm currently on lymecycline but want to switch antibiotics because my acne is slowly coming back. I'm really afraid of coming off as well because Ive heard so many horror stories of acne becoming worse than it was before antibiotics.