Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
limpbizkitfan

What Do You Think About My Diet?

For breakfast I usually have low-fat milk, cereal (cherios), with a lil honey on top and orange juice OR scrambled eggs. Then on my way to school I have a snack, usually a bag of pretzles.

For lunch I have a subway sandwhich(home-made) with turkey, mayo, spinach, olives, swiss cheese, peppers, tomatoes, salt, pepper and vinegar on french bread.

When I get home I usually eat small tuna, mayo, pickle, and tomatoe sandwhich. Later on for a snack I usually have a plain yogurt and mix in some berries (blueberries or rasberries) or cottage cheese.

Then for dinner I usually eat either salmon & green beans, pasta &meat balls w/ all natural pasta sauce, or meatloaf. I drink like 3 bottles of water a day too.

I'm not 100% sure I believe that diet plays a role in acne but, am willing to give it a try and see if it helps. I feel like my diet is pretty healthy, I don't eat any junk food or fast food...

Is there there anything you think I should change about my diet that could help my skin clear up?

There are some things you could do based on current research into how diet affects acne. Cut out all dairy and switch to either soy, almond or rice milk. This includes cheese. Stop using all sweetners, including honey. Sugary foods affect insulin levels which in turn aggravates acne. Cut out the orange juice and eat a banana instead. Citric acid can aggravate acne. Cut out all white flour products...pretzels are junk food. So is the bread used at subway. Instead purchase whole grain bread from the health food store. If food is affecting your acne you should see results in a month or two. Also, you may be sensitive to wheat. This would be a next step...something to try avoiding for a couple of months to see if it helps. Although it is very hard to avoid wheat and takes alot of meal planning.

Cut out both dairy and gluten. You seem to be consuming a lot of both of these! Try switching to almond milk instead of dairy milk. Vanilla almond milk is actually really tasty on cereal. Gluten and dairy are among the largest and most common acne triggers. Also watch the amount of sodium used in your food, especially any pre-packaged and processed foods you are consuming.

Haha I had a diet similar to yours and thought I was eating healthy and therefore diet and acne were not connected. Too much wheat and gluten in one day, imo, with all the sandwhiches and pasta. Continue eating meats, up your intake of vegetables and fruits a lot!

This is a very over simplified version of what you should be doing though, so start hanging around these forums. Read some of the sticky threads.

Here's a few threads I find really helpful:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/304548-the-real-reason-you-have-acne/page__st__0

There are some things you could do based on current research into how diet affects acne. Cut out all dairy and switch to either soy, almond or rice milk. This includes cheese. Stop using all sweetners, including honey. Sugary foods affect insulin levels which in turn aggravates acne. Cut out the orange juice and eat a banana instead. Citric acid can aggravate acne. Cut out all white flour products...pretzels are junk food. So is the bread used at subway. Instead purchase whole grain bread from the health food store. If food is affecting your acne you should see results in a month or two. Also, you may be sensitive to wheat. This would be a next step...something to try avoiding for a couple of months to see if it helps. Although it is very hard to avoid wheat and takes alot of meal planning.

By subway, I actually meant the type of sandwhich called a "subway sandwhich" or 'sub' for short, not the actual restraunt subway..sorry. I will try whole grain instead. Thanks, I will try out almond milk, does it taste like regular milk? So you say sugary foods cause acne but, fruit has sugar in it so I'm a little confused, how come I can eat fruit then if it has sugar in it?

And I will try taking out citris fruit as well. So wheat bread is ok? Or I should avoid all wheat?

Sorry for all the questionss, I just want to get my diett on track..thanks for the tips tho!!

Ditch the gluten!

What is gluten?

Haha I had a diet similar to yours and thought I was eating healthy and therefore diet and acne were not connected. Too much wheat and gluten in one day, imo, with all the sandwhiches and pasta. Continue eating meats, up your intake of vegetables and fruits a lot!

This is a very over simplified version of what you should be doing though, so start hanging around these forums. Read some of the sticky threads.

Here's a few threads I find really helpful:

http://www.acne.org/...ar-skin-health/

http://www.acne.org/...cne/page__st__0

Thanks for those links!!

Wow, I didn't know how complicated food was..it's gonna take me years of research to find out what to eat lol..I wish it was simple and I could just have a list of food to avoid, and what to eat on a daily basis. But, life isn't that easy so I'll need to figure all this out on my owwn.

I will in the mean time, start eating more fruits and vegetables though....

So you eat refined grains all day long? Everyday?

Srry, I'm not sure what's classified as refined grains, you mean bread? This is my diet in a nutshell, yes.

For breakfast I usually have low-fat milk, cereal (cherios), with a lil honey on top and orange juice OR scrambled eggs. Then on my way to school I have a snack, usually a bag of pretzles.

For lunch I have a subway sandwhich(home-made) with turkey, mayo, spinach, olives, swiss cheese, peppers, tomatoes, salt, pepper and vinegar on french bread.

When I get home I usually eat small tuna, mayo, pickle, and tomatoe sandwhich. Later on for a snack I usually have a plain yogurt and mix in some berries (blueberries or rasberries) or cottage cheese.

Then for dinner I usually eat either salmon & green beans, pasta &meat balls w/ all natural pasta sauce, or meatloaf. I drink like 3 bottles of water a day too.

I'm not 100% sure I believe that diet plays a role in acne but, am willing to give it a try and see if it helps. I feel like my diet is pretty healthy, I don't eat any junk food or fast food...

Is there there anything you think I should change about my diet that could help my skin clear up?

Honestly, your diet sounds pretty healthy. While diet does AFFECT acne, it does not CAUSE acne. I don't know what type of acne you have or where you breakout but hormonal acne can not be cured by radically altering your diet. I have hormonal acne, this means that my hormones are out of balance, more specifically my testosterone is too high. My T is not high because of my diet, it just IS. So no matter what I eat, I will continue to break out until I have my hormones balanced. It's true that certain foods can cause fluctuations in your hormones but eating a certain way will not regulate them entirely.

I went Paleo which is supposedly THE diet to clear skin and I still broke out the same. The only difference is I was spending thrice the amount of money on groceries.

Nah it won't take years. Maybe a week of good research you'll get a pretty good idea of what foods are good and what foods can be harmful. If you're not in college, you'll have more time to do this (lucky...)

Just a forewarning, there are posts from different peopel reacting to different things. If you read in one thread that vegetables are good for you, and then another that vegetables are bad for you, there is no right answer, it depends on context. For example, if you have thyroid problems, some vegetables inhibit the thyroid glands functions, in which case you should probably limit your vegetables. Everyone's situation is different, so you'll have to make tweaks on your own, but I don't think you can go wrong ditching grains/gluten for a while, and eating clean, organic, meat and upping your intake of easy to digest fruits and veggies. Getting all your vitamins and minerals from eating real food is necessary, not to mention awesome.

I posted some videos on my log, which I recommend you check out. Read through the two threads I posted as well.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/305626-gradually-switching-to-a-more-natural-approach/page__st__20

Honestly, your diet sounds pretty healthy.

No. It really, really isn't. It's filled with empty carbs taking the place of real food. With these things called nutrients. And on top of that, the refined carbs it's filled with - wheat- damage the intestinal tract. Especially when eaten 4-5 times per day and not eating nutrient dense foods that might counter the harm.

While diet does AFFECT acne, it does not CAUSE acne. I don't know what type of acne you have or where you breakout but hormonal acne can not be cured by radically altering your diet. I have hormonal acne, this means that my hormones are out of balance, more specifically my testosterone is too high. My T is not high because of my diet, it just IS. So no matter what I eat, I will continue to break out until I have my hormones balanced. It's true that certain foods can cause fluctuations in your hormones but eating a certain way will not regulate them entirely.

I went Paleo which is supposedly THE diet to clear skin and I still broke out the same. The only difference is I was spending thrice the amount of money on groceries.

Diet can clear hormonal acne. All acne is hormonal, except in the case of pores clogged by topicals or pollutants. And maybe allergic reactions, but there's even a correlation between elevated androgens and elevated histamine.

Paleo is not THE diet to clear acne. It's A diet that might clear acne but it's still possible to eat only paleo approved foods and not conform to the basic principles for health and clear skin. Real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, in low to moderate GL meals/drinks/snacks, that don't include anything you have an intolerance for. And sleep, stress, and physical activity are just about as important and affect how strict your diet needs to be. In addition, some people may have some additional health impairment that needs extra attention--such as digestive tract, liver, adrenal, thyroid, etc health.

I if you have thyroid problems, some vegetables inhibit the thyroid glands functions, in which case you should probably limit your vegetables.

Only certain vegetables impact the thyroid by impairing the body's ability to take in iodine. It's mostly the brassica vegetables. Unfortunately they are amongst the most nutrient dense foods.

Edited by alternativista

No. It really, really isn't. It's filled with empty carbs taking the place of real food. With these things called nutrients. And on top of that, the refined carbs it's filled with - wheat- damage the intestinal tract. Especially when eaten 4-5 times per day and not eating nutrient dense foods that might counter the harm.

While diet does AFFECT acne, it does not CAUSE acne. I don't know what type of acne you have or where you breakout but hormonal acne can not be cured by radically altering your diet. I have hormonal acne, this means that my hormones are out of balance, more specifically my testosterone is too high. My T is not high because of my diet, it just IS. So no matter what I eat, I will continue to break out until I have my hormones balanced. It's true that certain foods can cause fluctuations in your hormones but eating a certain way will not regulate them entirely.

Diet can clear hormonal acne. All acne is hormonal, except in the case of pores clogged by topicals or pollutants. And maybe allergic reactions, but there's even a correlation between elevated androgens and elevated histamine.

Paleo is not THE diet to clear acne. It's A diet that might clear acne but it's still possible to eat only paleo approved foods and not conform to the basic principles for health and clear skin. Real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, in low to moderate GL meals/drinks/snacks, that don't include anything you have an intolerance for. And sleep, stress, and physical activity are just about as important and affect how strict your diet needs to be. In addition, some people may have some additional health impairment that needs extra attention--such as digestive tract, liver, adrenal, thyroid, etc health.

Diet can't clear hormonal acne, at least not on it's own. If you have SPIKED testosterone, like I do, there are no foods that are going to lower that. It's just not going to happen.

You may know what works for YOU alternavista but you can be quite pushy with your beliefs sometimes.

Only certain vegetables impact the thyroid by impairing the body's ability to take in iodine. It's mostly the brassica vegetables. Unfortunately they are amongst the most nutrient dense foods.

Ah, thanks for the specification. My point was just that context matters in situations, and not to freak out when some things seem to be contradictory but really aren't.

Diet can't clear hormonal acne, at least not on it's own. If you have SPIKED testosterone, like I do, there are no foods that are going to lower that. It's just not going to happen.

You may know what works for YOU alternavista but you can be quite pushy with your beliefs sometimes.

You are being misleading people with your mistaken beliefs. If you have something wrong with you that is messing up your hormones, diet and lifestyle habits might not be enough. But that doesn't apply to most people.

Most of us have elevated hormones and inflammation because of the things we do to our selves. Diet/lifestyle can and does clear hormonal acne. All of our acne is hormone related and we clear it with diet/lifestyle all the time.

Besides, what most people are talking about when the mistakenly say they have hormonal acne is acne that comes and goes with their cycle and that is usually caused by estrogen dominance.

Also, I don't push my beliefs on anyone. In fact, I rarely talk about beliefs. I share information. Real information.

Edited by alternativista

You can still eat them, just make sure to get adequate iodine! And by adequate, I mean a lot. :)

Uh oh, someone who believes their acne is chronic. Spiked testosterone? Yep, it's not looking pretty. Looks like it's gonna be a long, hard, uproad battle.

But in all seriousness. Get some foods/herbs that are anti-androgens and look into inhibiting dht conversion. If you need help ask for it, this forum is a resource, not a place to scare people by posting everywhere that you've tried everything and dieted for three months (and then, what, started not caring about what you eat at all? what changed after those three months?) and now everything's hopeless for you. It's not! People are here to help other people and the reason it seems Alternativista and others are pushy with their beliefs is because if they weren't, these threads would be overrun with hopeless energy and people having no idea where to go from where they're at.

No one can help you if you don't want to help yourself.

p.s. OP's diet isn't awful but it's not going to clear her of her acne.

No wheat, soy, or dairy, OP!

And here I thought clicking on any random thread here would at least give you those basic guidelines. Who knew that between eating subsidized garbage and a healthy, nutrient dense, diet, the latter one would be considered, 'radical', eh?

Uh oh, someone who believes their acne is chronic. Spiked testosterone? Yep, it's not looking pretty. Looks like it's gonna be a long, hard, uproad battle.

But in all seriousness. Get some foods/herbs that are anti-androgens and look into inhibiting dht conversion. If you need help ask for it, this forum is a resource, not a place to scare people by posting everywhere that you've tried everything and dieted for three months (and then, what, started not caring about what you eat at all? what changed after those three months?) and now everything's hopeless for you. It's not! People are here to help other people and the reason it seems Alternativista and others are pushy with their beliefs is because if they weren't, these threads would be overrun with hopeless energy and people having no idea where to go from where they're at.

And here I thought clicking on any random thread here would at least give you those basic guidelines. Who knew that between eating subsidized garbage and a healthy, nutrient dense, diet, the latter one would be considered, 'radical', eh?

First off, do NOT dare to say that I'm not helping myself. Fuck you for presuming so.

Secondly, I am not just giving up my health and going to Mcdonald's. I consume healthy fruits, vegetables and drink nothing but water. I don't believe that gluten causes me to break out but I do avoid soy just because it irks me.

I'm just saying that not everyone needs to radically alter their diets to clear their skin because sometimes diet has nothing to do with it. Maybe it works for alternavista and maybe it works for you but I don't think you should be scaring people off eating what they want just because YOUR acne was caused by a poor diet. My girlfriend eats nothing but sugar and she has porcelain skin. It's not a one size fits all deal here, that's all I'm saying.

And another thing, don't belittle the fact that I ate like a saint for 3 months and saw NO IMPROVEMENT. It doesn't mean it was my fault, you know. It doesn't mean that I did something wrong. I thought this was supposed to be a safe place but wow, I was wrong.

People are here to help other people and the reason it seems Alternativista and others are pushy with their beliefs is because if they weren't, these threads would be overrun with hopeless energy and people having no idea where to go from where they're at.

Yes exactly. That's why I do it anyway. Although no one is pushy, we just speak the truth.

My girlfriend eats nothing but sugar and she has porcelain skin.

We've explained why this is countless times here....

It's not a one size fits all deal here, that's all I'm saying.

When it comes to specifics, no. But when it comes to unhealthy foods like gluten, soy, etc. YES... it is one sized fits all. Because everyone who is eating that stuff is damaging their body whether it immediately shows on their skin or not. So everyone who comes here with acne or other health problems SHOULD be told they can't eat whatever they want-- because it's the truth. Or rather, the truth of what they need to do if they want health, which would be the goal of a nutrition and holistic forum...

I thought this was supposed to be a safe place but wow, I was wrong.

If "safe" means telling people what they'd like to hear verses the truth of the matter then yes, you were wrong.

First off, do NOT dare to say that I'm not helping myself. Fuck you for presuming so.

Secondly, I am not just giving up my health and going to Mcdonald's. I consume healthy fruits, vegetables and drink nothing but water. I don't believe that gluten causes me to break out but I do avoid soy just because it irks me.

I'm just saying that not everyone needs to radically alter their diets to clear their skin because sometimes diet has nothing to do with it. Maybe it works for alternavista and maybe it works for you but I don't think you should be scaring people off eating what they want just because YOUR acne was caused by a poor diet. My girlfriend eats nothing but sugar and she has porcelain skin. It's not a one size fits all deal here, that's all I'm saying.

And another thing, don't belittle the fact that I ate like a saint for 3 months and saw NO IMPROVEMENT. It doesn't mean it was my fault, you know. It doesn't mean that I did something wrong. I thought this was supposed to be a safe place but wow, I was wrong.

So other people can make you better without you lifting a finger? My mistake, fuck me very much I guess.

And your mode of action currently, for treating your acne, is eating produce and including grains in your diet. You're still doing something related to food, I guess, I'm still not really sure what you eat usually besides water, fruits, vegetables, and gluten, and you're not happy about it. So what is, your mode of action, exactly, for clearing your skin, since a holistic approach (diet isn't the one-size-fits-all cure for acne, there are many other components that have been mentioned several times by others on this thread alone, which is why I thought unnecessary to add them) is one that's only designed to work for certain individuals. Your girlfriend may not have acne, but a diet composed entirely of sugar won't do anyone any favors. When anyone presents counter-arguments like "Well why does this person not have acne and I do they get to eat whatever they want therefore diet and acne don't have a connection for everyone" etc. it just seems like they haven't read much about an acne diet connection in the first place. And are looking for excuses to continue believing they are eating somewhere in-between an "acne free diet" and "whatever they feel like/everyone else eats". Because there's no reason to try eating optimally if you don't believe in an acne diet connection.

About 5 months ago, I thought my diet was healthy. Actually, it wasn't far-off from OP's. Subway instead of McDonald's? Sounds like I'm doing stellar. Mom made pasta? Sweet. I'll just top my fifth coffee off with a little more milk. This burrito would go perfectly with a twix ice cream bar to compliment it.

I'm not belittling anyone, you just seem like you could use some help. And are now unwilling to receive anything I have to offer, which is the first thing I 'presumed' since you gave me such a heartfelt sentiment.

Check out your signature sometime, it's a very comforting thought.

Edited by corgisoulpower

Just to chime in, I agree with regulars here and I can understand their sentiments. I can understand the sentiments of people on the otherside too, who feel like they're forced to agree or not post. I just think that everything would be so much better if everyone had a more respectful tone when giving advice, even if you've given it a thousand times before. People are more likely to listen when they don't feel scolded. It's a win-win situation.

Tunnelvisionary's right. Two years ago I thought I was an idiot compared to who I am today. In two years I will think who I am now was a complete idiot. I ought to get my shit together and remember that I'm always an idiot in the grand scheme of things, otherwise how else will I make a living helping people nutritionally and holistically with their ailments?

OopsIjustspilledmynewestlifepassion.

But in all honesty, I'm sorry for offending you, I have taste. May you and your girlfriend share many moons together, live long, and prosper.

Good on you Corgi.

Idk, being respectful and polite even in the face of rudeness or ignorance seems to be the natural outcome of being really into holistic healing, right? Or am I solitary in thinkign that? A lot of us seem to be forward thinking people, and appearing rude to other people, even if you honestly mean to help them (and I know all you incredible people do mean the best) seems to go against this sort of forward thinking that I would assume is characteristic of holistic healing and progress.

Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, the thread has gotten really off topic (partly my fault as well), hope we didn't scare the OP off.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

Good on you Corgi.

Idk, being respectful and polite even in the face of rudeness or ignorance seems to be the natural outcome of being really into holistic healing, right? Or am I solitary in thinkign that? A lot of us seem to be forward thinking people, and appearing rude to other people, even if you honestly mean to help them (and I know all you incredible people do mean the best) seems to go against this sort of forward thinking that I would assume is characteristic of holistic healing and progress.

Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, the thread has gotten really off topic (partly my fault as well), hope we didn't scare the OP off.

Perhaps she's listening to music of the limp bizkit persuasion.

Good on you Corgi.

Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps she's listening to music of the limp bizkit persuasion.

Haha, then diet isn't her only problem.

JUST KIDDING. :P

Guest Timehealsall

I if you have thyroid problems, some vegetables inhibit the thyroid glands functions, in which case you should probably limit your vegetables.

hey alternavista, why wont paleo clear acne though? I mean i have read doctor cordains books, and it seems pretty legit. What does paleo have (or what is it missing) that wont treat acne?