Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amy Johnson

Foundation For Acne? Estee Lauder? Clinique?

what would be the best foundation for oily, acne-prone skin?

I tried Clinique's oil-free tinted moisturizer and I am under the impression that it causes me to break out because EVERYTIME I wear it, I'll get a new breakout.

I've heard that Estee Lauder foundations are supposedly great for acne-prone skin. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I just want something that will cover up the many imperfections that I have without creating new ones.

what would be the best foundation for oily, acne-prone skin?

I tried Clinique's oil-free tinted moisturizer and I am under the impression that it causes me to break out because EVERYTIME I wear it, I'll get a new breakout.

I've heard that Estee Lauder foundations are supposedly great for acne-prone skin. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I just want something that will cover up the many imperfections that I have without creating new ones.

Wish I knew the answer to this. I use Almay Clear Complexion, but I wouldn't call it Full Coverage at all....not to mention it has SA in it, and so as I'm on Accutane now I'll need something without acne medication in it.

I have a love/hate relationships with reviews, because I have heard great things about Clinique for acne-prone skin, but some people say they break out horribly. I would hate to spend all that money on something that was going to break me out.

I was at Target the other day and I saw that they have a more upscale line or two in their makeup department now. And by upscale I mean the foundation is about $30 or so. I used a tester and put it on. It seemed like it was full coverage, and I didn't have a breakout the next day, so that was good!

The brand name was "Set" and it was liquid foundation at the bottom, and a cream concealer under the cap. It looked like they only had 3 colors though. But I should just say that if it didn't break me out with one wear, that is amazing. I cannot even wear Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals, Physicans Formula without getting breakouts.

I am also at the catch-22 situation with foundations. I have very large pores and Im 55 years old. Dealing with acne since age 12. I do this: I clean my face with babywash and betadine solution. For a scrub and coarse washcloth, I use 20 mule team borax. Works and kills everything. I then, CLEAN MY HANDS REALLY WELL with betadine and then witch hazel. I use paper towels rather than the expensive cotton pads. (Bounty, Brawny select a size). I put a layer of betadine on my face (the diluted wash, gentle iodine by the gallon I get at feed stores). Let it dry, then I remove that with witch hazel. I then moisturize my eyes and lips with glycerine. Then, I put on a layer of Stridex. Then, a light layer of Acnomel, I then mix some Neutrogena acne foundation with the CoverGirl Blend (pump) foundation. I have used this regime that takes time and I can cover the flaws/discoloration/scars and it seems to not get new breakaouts. For powder, I use corn starch THE BEST FOR OIL CONTROL IMHO) then I coat with a powder brush with some Prestige wet/dry powder or Rimmell. powder. I clean these brushes with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol when done. I am very fair and want to add color to my pale skin, so I use bronzer. That way I can be more flexible and not so rigid about exact matches of color. When I have to 'pick out' the blackheads that simply do not go away, i do it the night before with a blackhead tool and pins for deep ones. I then have overnight to heal for the next day. I dip /dlean everything in betadine and keep it clean and sterile.

I've also started the saw palmetto (450mg/day) for the past three months. Not only does the oil in my skin is reduced, less redness, and puffyness in my face as well. I've pretty much eliminated the trigger foods from my life, cow milk products (I use goats milk), wheat, shellfish (shellfish is only thing I really miss) chocolate (Terribly sensitive to it and have not knowingly eaten it in decades) and artificial sweeteners. I even use Toms toothpaste because the others all contain artificial sweeteners. I've reduced the red meat in my diet, more chicken, turkey, lean pork and of course fish (I love fish).

The key is CLEAN, CLEAN CLEAN application and applicators. At night I just wash with the babywash and betadine, then put on the Neutrogena retinol cream, to help with scarring. It does not make my skin worse, and seems to smooth it quite well at a reasonable price. I also rub the extra Neutrogena on the back of my hands to smooth them and reduce or eliminate the 'age spots'. (Which are actually SUN spots) and I keep my hands covered with extra long sleeves or fingerless gloves when I drive. I keep my nails short with a chef's manicure (my nails are thin and soft so growing them long is not possible) and I am outside and do not have the time or inclination to deal with fancy long nails or manicures. Besides studies show they are very un-hygenic too. If one handles food for a living such as a chef, long, artificial, or painted nails are a no-no. I am dealing with animals and dirt and poo all of the time, so I use a stiff nail brush and borax again to clean and brighten my hands and nails.

Edited by OutdoorWoman

I recommend for young skin with acne and acne scars Bourjois brush foundation and healthy mix concealer. I have oily skin and it really helped me a lot. I m using it for almost a year now and i m more then satisfied. And to heal scars Scar zone product. It helps diminish appearance of scars and smooths scar tissue. Definitely helped me a lot.